Imperial armour: Siege of Vraks analysis

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Re: Imperial armour: Siege of Vraks analysis

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Military command and politics always merge near the top, that’s why people like Eisenhower end up so revered for doing a good job of it. But, by the same token failure can have a highly destabilizing effect, and surely would when you have a motivation of multiple galactic scale threats to deal with, all the time.
Yeah but which 'top' are we referring to? There's a planetary level top, a subsector, a sector, a segmentum, and a 'absolute' top (the High Lords at Terra.) And then you have the quasi-independent authorities like the AdMech, Arbites (the galactic police force), the Commissariat, the Inquisitors, Rogue Traders, and evne Adeptus Astartes - who all in theory have the power to take over command of individual forces at least at some of those levels (sector or lower, possibly segmentum or lower.)
But do they actually write about nuclear warfare taking place on the ground, or do places just get blown up?
Does orbital bombardments occuring before or during a ground assault count? In the most recent Horus HEresy novel for example they use orbital bombardment to wipe out enemy concentrations, and troops within close proximiity (within half a km or more) suffered burns and blindness from the bombardment (energy weapons IIRC). Troops caught in the bombardment were actually cremated. A similar orbital bombardment was carried out in 13th Legion to allow an infiltration force to sneak into an occupied city.

If we're talking literally nukes... then probably not. Actual honest to god nuclear weapons are rarely used because of all the analogues they have (and the aformentioend restrictions. Silly as they may be they exist.) Melta weapons are 'sort of' fusion weapons - like melta bombs. But they've also been described as 'space incendiaries.'
See, stuff like that is what makes you loose wars if you actually stuck with it, and then have a military coup round all those people up and execute them to a standing ovation. Incompetence thrives on peace, because nothing exposes it, but even a highly incompetent military force can overthrow its government just fine.
And it can lose them battles. Or lead to revolts. Planets, subsectors or even subsectors will revolt. Ther are TONS of things that cause revolt, and stupidity or outrage at the heavy-handed nature of the Imperium is hardly the sole cause. Revolt can happen from rebellion as much as 'magic zombie plague breaks out and creates Nurgle mini Empire' - something like that has even happened at least on one occasion.

And in the case of Vraks, having the Krieg meatdroids ensures no revolution will occur - they're trained/brainwashed against rebellion (you actually have to rein them in.) As we learn they don't get along well with regular troops (or people) which tends to suggest they aren't commonly used in the way other infantry are. They're more 'speical purpose' troops, and Vraks qualifies as a 'special' situation (since they pulled in no other troops than the Krieg and hauled/supplied them from the other side of the galaxy, which isn't how regular infantry would fight this situation.) In fact I'd say that the reason you AREN'T seeing normal troops in this case is because the Munitorum knows that they couldn't get them to fight this way.
Yeah, feels like they lack anyone managing the canon department. Star Wars actually has that, and still has endless problems, though it feels like less of them recently.
You're kidding right? Star Wars has TOO MUCH obsession with canon. Obsession over whether the ICS is canon, whether the EU is or isn't, etc. It tends to be more all inclusive (like the SW wiki) to the point even rides and toys are considered in-universe canon. They even have a 'bible' and a 'god'. And its not like 'single author' universes have any better a record of this either.
Well the main idea was it would come from the civilian market, and 20 years is more then long enough to place an order. If only 1,000 planets in the empire made as much nitrogen fertilizer as earth you’d only have a 100 billion tons supply to draw on, earth making a little over 100 million tons a year right now.
Probably an agri or civilised world. Forges and many industrial/hive worlds have no habitable enviroment per se. They might be able to find such stuff in hyrdoponics or similar but that may not be accesible to the common man in such situations. And Forge/industrial probably won't.
Twenty years is a long time to think about what’s going wrong and become slightly less retarded. I mean you are talking about the possibility that in this time span a person could be promoted from second lieutenant to major general by normal channels. A complete military career accomplished in this campaign. Never mind the rapid promotion massive battlefield losses create.
In smaller scale conflicts (planetary or system-wide perhaps) that is the case. At something like the scale of a Sector or a major crusade (where you command billions of troops and multiple arms of the Imperium's military are involved) politics is going to dictate appointments and command for most positions (especially overall command if the one in charge dies.) In the case of Vraks this is all irrelevant because the Krieg do as they're told and the Munitorum is more or less calling the shots.
The end result would probably be lots and lots of backchannel procurement, all the more so since with the Empire not being solidly ruled from the top down, you’re going to have a lot of the economy out of government control anyway.
Which sounds familiar from the information I know. If you have authority or connectiosn you can get the procurment you want or need. Alternately the guard might just requisition,buy, or sometimes take what they need from planets directly.

Well if you face fire from heavy weapons like that, clearly any ground assault should be doomed. That’s why logically, install siege batteries in prepared positions, use flying warships as heavy support to keep the enemy off balance while steadily reducing his firepower, you can use terrain masking like crazy for this, and slowly creep forward your shield wall while pounding tiny sections of enemy line into utter oblivion.
The Vraks battle didn't start out involving titans and similar. and I'm not sure if the defence lasers (or at least all of them) can target on the troops - 'defence laser' represents a whole category of weapons which can range from anti-airrcraft to anti-spaceship weapons. By the time Titans and the heavier shit gets involved the war basically has the Krieg forces being a side show - supporting force who just holds territory. (Space Marines will shortly become involved. As do the Inquisition, daemons, and the like.)

Moral and élan sure would be awesome if they employ meat droids alongside normal troops.
It's actually not. Later on in this book they actually describe how the meat-droid Kriegers do not work well serving alongside normal troops. Hell siege regiments in general are mentioned not to work well alongside the regular infnatry forces because of the differences in mindset (regular IG troops don't appreciate being treated as expendable resources the way the Krieg are used.) They hate it even more when a Krieg officer is in charge (Commissars have to rein them in, remember.)

This tends to reinforce the 'speicalist' nature of the meat droid regiments - these aren't really meant to be deployed alongisde forces normally. As I said its likely there are several 'types' of Krieg regiments - the meat droids, and others who are more like regular troops (just more stubborn.)

Works by making wood gas. Green woodchips in a pot are heated externally, boiling off methane which is piped to the engine. When the woodchips dry out and give no more gas you use them to fuel the fire under the boiler. This was commonly used to power civilian vehicles in WW2. You’re just going to need a damn lot of woodchips for a tank.
That may or may not be how the Imperium does it. There has been mention of adding 'vegetative processors' to the tanks (IIRC its in one of the novels I did a few years back)
I think there was even one passing reference to running on virtually anything organic (leather was mentioned, but whether it was joking or serious I don't recall. It also wouldn't surprise me if they can run their vehicles on recycled human corpses due to sheer grimdark.) I've also heard of running them on charcoal, alcohol, benzene and a few other things, but I imagine that modern tanks could run at least on alcohol or benzene.

On the extreme end of the scale they've added what amount to nuclear reactors on the tank (and no this doesnt seem to be common. IT depends on the tech level of the world and probably on the AdMech.)

It also doesn't help that 'Promethium' seems to be a catch all term from 'space gasoline' to natural gas like devices or fusion fuels.
I can’t see why you’d ever need to swap out the engine, even on a world with no air you could just add bottled O2 assuming combustion power, but in any case some fairly high levels of diversity can and have been supported in war, its just not optimal.
Fuel shortages probably. Or a more faster engine. It may not be literally 'swapping out' so much as modifying the powerplant to balance tradeoffs or something.
With such a huge empire one would expect deliberate Soviet style categories of readiness and equipment for formations, even if formations are nominally the same like ‘tank division’. Each formation need not have the same equipment as another either, but this is all manageable as long as you can keep the gross economic impact to a sustainable level. The Soviets didn’t, but then the Soviets had utterly comical levels of armament. Can’t say I’ve ever seen anything in sci fi that would match the shear integrated scale and relative firepower of a Soviet Front… of which they were setup to form around twenty, but maybe it exists somewhere. Ensuring it does is why I've started working on my own sci fi fantasy stuff. I mean god
I'm still learning about soviet methods but thats how I'd hope it would go. hoping it would go that way and it actually going that way are another story. What we may acutally end up with is a poor copy of what Soviets actually did. I've actually heard the Soviets were quite good at this (some even claimed better than americans for the timeframe) despite some of the shortcomings they had to work with.

And if you want things to 'make sense' in a way that you like, you almost have to do your own universe. Problem is, people have their own opinions of what 'makes sense' - not everyone likes milscifi because it gets too much 'datafile' crap. Thats' rpboably one of the problems (advnatages?) of 40K. there is no real equivalent of the ICS (although the ICS hardly saved star wars from idiot tactics.)

Also you might note that what I say will differ somewhat from what others are saying in the thread. That's partly the stance on 'canon' (or lack of one) and the general attidue/preferences towards the different materials. That's going to complicate discussing it because you probably will have different viewpoints being thrown about. And despite this being technically 'my' thread, that doesnt mean my POV is the right or only one. :P
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Those would be called warstocks; but if warstocks are actively expanding in an Empire of this scale, well, supplying one operation should just be so trivial. Supply it will stuff that fell on the floor of the factory level trivial. The Munitorium can be as crazy as it wants, but this also requires that all the field commanders be just as crazy all the way to the top... which just really doesn't work. They'd be incapable of fighting.
That probably happens too because it doesn't work. It wouldn't be impossible in 40K for the IG to completely fail because the supply side of things fucked up in some way (or simply couldn't be bothered to support them adequatley.) And yes, that's retarded, let's make that cler.

Seems likely that people would just start sending them endless false data to keep them busy, while making off with the super space freighters full of ammunition and ponchos.
Which is likely to happen as well. The Munitorum/administratum is generally seen as useless at anything beyond sector level, and only somewhat useful at sector levels. It actually seems like an advantage that the Imperium cannot be micromanaged because otherwise the entire thing would fall apart without a strong central authority in command.
keeping them busy with makework or false data probably is a viable political tool for sidelining the Administratum or munitorum in wartime or otherwise.
Titan's being about the worst idea for a gun platform ever... they really should have some siege guns in the siege bombardment korps of similar power that just drop on the ground. But being 40K, maybe they have some four man chainswords to open up fortress walls?
Titans are pretty silly and are made even worse by being bipedal (don't get me started on some of the absurd scaling issues.. some 'titans' get to hundreds of metres tall or kilometers.. supposedly. It's a real headache.) They exist solely because the adMech wants them to (and because they control technology) and largely because they serve as a psychological/psychic tool - a focus for belief and morale and such. not unlike Astartes (who for most purposes aren't worth the time and effort invested in their creation for what they are utilized for.)
I consider it a victory to cause brain damage. Its a society built on humans fundamentally, rationality applies. Once logic gets loose you can't break out of it.
I think he's overstating the case, or at least he's presenting the 'CODEX' view of things, which can at best be considered propoganda and at worst babbling. Codexes tend to be the most grimdark and least logical view of how things work. Whereas the other sources (novels, Fantasy Flight games material, etc.) tend to be differnet because they have more 'localized' views. Codexes are (at best) broad view details and should be taken with a maassive grain of salt. One of the benefits of an absence of canon really - everything has to be taken as a 'point of view' thing.

I mean fuck, how often does the codexes or other propoganda shit scream GALAXY AT WAR despite the fact that it doesn't actually translate that in the majority of fluff (there are in fact planets and whole regions of the galaxy where war is rare, limited or unheard of.)

I'm sure there are some people who are going to be outraged that I dare speak out againx the codexes, but one thing I've learned from Star Wars is that canon generally means dogma, and holding one source above all others is a sure recipie for a universe to stagnate and become dogmatic.
Sea Skimmer wrote:So basically all the successful attacks should have been stopped by razor wire and landmines alone if this was a proper fortress. Wonderful. You people read this stuff why? Enjoying the fluff of the universe I can understand, but this just sounds worse and worse.
Probably because 40K is not really milscifi in most regards? Some of its best work (or the best authors) are ont really military writers, and may not even focus on military conflicts in great detail. In the case of 'frontal assaults'

Also I'm skeptical of the idea that 'frontal assaults' are a typical depiction of how the guard fight, no matter what the artwork or codex fluff says (already establihed my opinion here.) That's what the Codexes emphasize, but they also have said 'the galaxy is at war' and 'a hundred thousand worlds at war' throughout a million world Imperium or some such..

In the caes of Abnett he tends to write stories slanted towards a particular sort of conflict. Straight Silver (as mentioned before) was the trench/siege warfare novel. There was 'Guns of Tanith' and 'double eagle' both of which focused on aerial combat and paratrooper like operations. Honour Guard was armoured fights. Traitor General was 'behind enemy lines' assasination mission. Salvation's REach (the recent novel) was space combat, etc. A good many of the Ghosts novels actually feature infiltration and stealth ops - especially in attacking cities (infiltrating via underground, etc.) or room-to room clearing operations, or the like.

What it comes down to is shared universe, multiple authors, and they all tend to take a different attitude/approach to it, and the fans do as well. The 'best' way to get an actual feel isnt so much to look at one particular source, or edition, or whatever (EG only codexes, or only novels) its to look at a bit of everything. That's also the most difficult approach, which is why I haven't really got any concrete answers. It's still a work in process to see if it can be made sense of. But thats partly why I bother because I enjoy puzzling through it and I dont expect it to be solved eaisly. Or even in just a military context.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Simon_Jester wrote:If the Munitorium were always as obnoxious, aggressively incompetent, and obviously blind to military realities as they're portrayed at Vraks, then hell yes they'd have been overthrown by now. It wouldn't be the first time Imperium agencies have struggled against each other for dominance in a de facto state of civil war- there's all those references to the Age of Apostasy.

My impression is that most of the time the Munitorium is actually fairly decent about getting the hardware to the front, or at least trying hard enough to convince the Guard that the Munitorium isn't a bigger obstacle to victory than the enemy is. It's just the occasional campaign like Vraks where they manage to fuck up as badly as the British quartermaster corps in the Crimea or something.
You're forgetting that the Munitorium has a whole cadre of trigger-happy Commissars to make sure there are no generals who get too ambitious.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

The Munitorium was only that bad in the case of Vraks because they were fundamentally in charge of the whole operation. Normally they have other bodies to compete with for authority, and they don't want to be shown up so the stupid reliance on protocol is relaxed, and there are more important Guard and Navy officials directly involve who are actually military professionals and can tell the Munitorium drons to fuck off if they get to prissy about things. This was just a relatively isolated example of what happens when one individual organisation gets too much local power in the Imperium.
You're forgetting that the Munitorium has a whole cadre of trigger-happy Commissars to make sure there are no generals who get too ambitious.
I don't think Commisars are Munitorium. The Commisariat is an independent body that can potentially be directly represented in the High Lords, just like the Munitorium.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Connor MacLeod wrote: Yeah but which 'top' are we referring to? There's a planetary level top, a subsector, a sector, a segmentum, and a 'absolute' top (the High Lords at Terra.) And then you have the quasi-independent authorities like the AdMech, Arbites (the galactic police force), the Commissariat, the Inquisitors, Rogue Traders, and evne Adeptus Astartes - who all in theory have the power to take over command of individual forces at least at some of those levels (sector or lower, possibly segmentum or lower.)
Given the scale of the empire, I’d expect it to be all political at the top of all those groups. Basic limits exist to how much influence any leader could have over such vast organizations, and once you get fully detached from military operations, and are basically a staff above the military general staff, its all politics. This is a major problem with giant empires not only ruled by humans, but supposedly highly skeptical of computer technology.

Does orbital bombardments occuring before or during a ground assault count?
During an assault counts, the point being it’d require actual coordination and thought. A preparatory bombardment is limited only by ammunition, and any desire to limit collateral damage.
And it can lose them battles. Or lead to revolts. Planets, subsectors or even subsectors will revolt. Ther are TONS of things that cause revolt, and stupidity or outrage at the heavy-handed nature of the Imperium is hardly the sole cause. Revolt can happen from rebellion as much as 'magic zombie plague breaks out and creates Nurgle mini Empire' - something like that has even happened at least on one occasion.
Given the lack of a unified command structure, its kind of hard to see how all these myriad military forces aren’t in a constant state of civil war… over who gets to put down the latest rebellion if nothing else.

You're kidding right? Star Wars has TOO MUCH obsession with canon. Obsession over whether the ICS is canon, whether the EU is or isn't, etc. It tends to be more all inclusive (like the SW wiki) to the point even rides and toys are considered in-universe canon. They even have a 'bible' and a 'god'. And its not like 'single author' universes have any better a record of this either.
I’d rather people try too hard to make stuff fit, then just write all over each other for what, twenty five years now? Ignoring parts of Star Wars canon one find unfavorable is plainly easier then dealing with what to ignore in 40K when it seems to be the case that your stuck more accepting one source over all others for a topic, then removing only select parts that don’t fit.
Probably an agri or civilised world. Forges and many industrial/hive worlds have no habitable enviroment per se. They might be able to find such stuff in hyrdoponics or similar but that may not be accesible to the common man in such situations. And Forge/industrial probably won't.
What’s the common man got to do with it? Military officers want explosives… yeah that shouldn’t raise too much question when its not like they are asking for a pocket nuke with the latest terrorist facilitating anti scanner shields. They’ve got to be growing vast amounts of food, its going to mean vast amounts of fertilizer. Nitrogen already predominates on earth, because recoverable phosphate reserves are fairly limited. Its doubtful they’ll last 100 more years on earth, let alone thousands. Nitrogen can be boiled out of the air even if all other sources were exhausted.

In smaller scale conflicts (planetary or system-wide perhaps) that is the case. At something like the scale of a Sector or a major crusade (where you command billions of troops and multiple arms of the Imperium's military are involved) politics is going to dictate appointments and command for most positions (especially overall command if the one in charge dies.) In the case of Vraks this is all irrelevant because the Krieg do as they're told and the Munitorum is more or less calling the shots.
Lets see, back of the envelope says commanding billions of troops should rate…. a nine or ten star general. Of course politics is going to control command at that level! It’s physically impossible for one commander or even a commander and his basic staff to exercise meaningful command and control on forces of that size, even if they are literally all attacking the exact same place. The real work is going to have to be done at lower levels unless they have some device that lets specific people have literally vastly more hours in the day then normal time. But that wouldn’t explain the whole system being persistently incompetent and yet somehow working.
Which sounds familiar from the information I know. If you have authority or connectiosn you can get the procurment you want or need. Alternately the guard might just requisition,buy, or sometimes take what they need from planets directly.
That’s surely replacing the normal logistical channels quickly, all the more so if tax revenue is localized as well. Given the bad communications, it doesn’t seem like an integrated monetary system would even work in the first place so it probably is.

The Vraks battle didn't start out involving titans and similar. and I'm not sure if the defence lasers (or at least all of them) can target on the troops - 'defence laser' represents a whole category of weapons which can range from anti-airrcraft to anti-spaceship weapons. By the time Titans and the heavier shit gets involved the war basically has the Krieg forces being a side show - supporting force who just holds territory. (Space Marines will shortly become involved. As do the Inquisition, daemons, and the like.)

Siege troops have the lighter weapons, so brilliant.

That may or may not be how the Imperium does it. There has been mention of adding 'vegetative processors' to the tanks (IIRC its in one of the novels I did a few years back)
I think there was even one passing reference to running on virtually anything organic (leather was mentioned, but whether it was joking or serious I don't recall.
A steam engine with a hot enough boiler would let you do that anyway. Get one of those plasma arc incinerators going and you can burn basically anything and potentially gain net power. Also boil concrete or uranium if you wanted.

On the extreme end of the scale they've added what amount to nuclear reactors on the tank (and no this doesnt seem to be common. IT depends on the tech level of the world and probably on the AdMech.)
Pity. They need a tank that runs on nerve gas to compete with the HAB boiling plutonium reactor.

I'm still learning about soviet methods but thats how I'd hope it would go. hoping it would go that way and it actually going that way are another story. What we may acutally end up with is a poor copy of what Soviets actually did. I've actually heard the Soviets were quite good at this (some even claimed better than americans for the timeframe) despite some of the shortcomings they had to work with.
Good at what exactly, you lost me? Not declaring armored vehicles actually built during WW2 obsolete until as late as 1995

And if you want things to 'make sense' in a way that you like, you almost have to do your own universe.
Well it doesn’t have to be a way I like, but some things just seem completely unworkable, mainly the way the entire way the place is supposedly administered by ten different competing powers most of whom are seemingly completely autonomous, yet supposedly also completely control key functions and are overlaid on each other and yet cannot even communicate effectively. It would be unstable in so many ways it’s crazy for it to persist. That’s my number one and growing problem with 40K, the absurdly stupid human system is supposed to have lasted an incredibly long time, instead of being transitional. If it were just transitional, well then you can justify near anything.

Problem is, people have their own opinions of what 'makes sense' - not everyone likes milscifi because it gets too much 'datafile' crap. Thats' rpboably one of the problems (advnatages?) of 40K. there is no real equivalent of the ICS (although the ICS hardly saved star wars from idiot tactics.)
40K actually I now see has more established milstuff then I ever thought it did. Bad move it’s much better when it sticks with the essence of the setting. Back in the day when I played with it some in Middle School- early High School, I viewed it as a science fiction comedy and so did the handful of other people I knew who liked it. So its not like I come into this believing it should be written like Red Phoenix or similar books but authors and certain fans seem to have in fact pushed it that way. I mean, I like Lord of the Rings, but I don't waste time asking why nobody has begun making rifles after all the thousands of years of fairly advanced warfare.
Which is likely to happen as well. The Munitorum/administratum is generally seen as useless at anything beyond sector level, and only somewhat useful at sector levels. It actually seems like an advantage that the Imperium cannot be micromanaged because otherwise the entire thing would fall apart without a strong central authority in command.
I’m more of the opinion that the entire thing would fall apart either way. Its setup to be ungovernable.
Titans are pretty silly and are made even worse by being bipedal (don't get me started on some of the absurd scaling issues.. some 'titans' get to hundreds of metres tall or kilometers.. supposedly. It's a real headache.) They exist solely because the adMech wants them to (and because they control technology) and largely because they serve as a psychological/psychic tool - a focus for belief and morale and such. not unlike Astartes (who for most purposes aren't worth the time and effort invested in their creation for what they are utilized for.)
Well, frankly they make more sense the stupid bigger they get, since one must accept that the technology exists to build them. Bigger they are the better protected they could be, and the bigger obstructions they could clear due to that endless mecha problem of… how high can you actually lift the legs, and how well can the thing actually climb. plus they’d just be that much more likely to so totally outmass the opposition that being painfully inefficient doesn’t matter. Course just one of them falling over and leaking out its hydraulic fluid and lube oil could cause as much physical and ecological damage as a small atomic bomb…
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Given the scale of the empire, I’d expect it to be all political at the top of all those groups. Basic limits exist to how much influence any leader could have over such vast organizations, and once you get fully detached from military operations, and are basically a staff above the military general staff, its all politics. This is a major problem with giant empires not only ruled by humans, but supposedly highly skeptical of computer technology.
Yeah, I think that's pretty true. The top level sometimes gets involved in military campaigns at the highest strategic level- basically, just ordering that a given war be launched, giving someone the authorization to release forces for it, and stepping out of the way.
Given the lack of a unified command structure, its kind of hard to see how all these myriad military forces aren’t in a constant state of civil war… over who gets to put down the latest rebellion if nothing else.
Sometimes they are. Often, though, that's one of the responsibilities of the Inquisition (which is empowered to cut the bullshit and issue orders). Also, when you get right down to it the Imperium's two strongest armed forces are the Guard and the Navy. No one else can really stand against them, because the other forces are broken up and isolated into single-planet holdings. The Adeptus Mechanicus could at least hold the galaxy hostage if they were ever threatened on a large scale, but even that wouldn't entail military confrontation so much as the techpriests threatening to stop maintaining the system.

So the actual serious civil wars are mostly limited to things like a Space Marine chapter going rogue and getting hammered into submission and/or death by sheer weight of numbers and materiel, or divisions within the military that reflect divisions within the Imperium's civil government. Most of the interstellar military falls into the same Guard and Navy chains of command, and so they don't fight among themselves very much.
Lets see, back of the envelope says commanding billions of troops should rate…. a nine or ten star general. Of course politics is going to control command at that level! It’s physically impossible for one commander or even a commander and his basic staff to exercise meaningful command and control on forces of that size, even if they are literally all attacking the exact same place. The real work is going to have to be done at lower levels unless they have some device that lets specific people have literally vastly more hours in the day then normal time. But that wouldn’t explain the whole system being persistently incompetent and yet somehow working.
Again, I don't think the incompetence is that persistent- usually, the Munitorium does actually deliver more or less the supplies needed, without any logistics hiccups much worse than a normal army runs into. Vraks seems to represent a blind butcher of a general (which the Imperium has a fair number of, if they're politically skilled their casualty rates can just get shuffled and lost in the background clutter) forming a political alliance with a particularly useless set of Munitorium drones to get a war fought on stupid lines.

Sort of like, oh... one of the more amazingly badly thought out WWI offensives, or some other legendary military blunder. Heck, you could probably think of it as a fuckup comparable to the Charge of the Light Brigade, just scaled up by about four or five orders of magnitude to match the increased size of the institutions at work.
And if you want things to 'make sense' in a way that you like, you almost have to do your own universe.
Well it doesn’t have to be a way I like, but some things just seem completely unworkable, mainly the way the entire way the place is supposedly administered by ten different competing powers most of whom are seemingly completely autonomous, yet supposedly also completely control key functions and are overlaid on each other and yet cannot even communicate effectively. It would be unstable in so many ways it’s crazy for it to persist. That’s my number one and growing problem with 40K, the absurdly stupid human system is supposed to have lasted an incredibly long time, instead of being transitional. If it were just transitional, well then you can justify near anything.
Well, the system boils down into... let's see, how many real power blocs are there? AdMech, Marines, bureacracy (with the Munitorium as a subset of that), clergy (with Sisters of Battle attached), Guard, Navy, Inquisition.

The Marines hold single-planet fiefdoms and don't really have that much political influence; if they weren't good at warfare they'd be totally ignorable, and as it is they don't do much except fight wars anyway, it's what they're made for at the existential level. So (since the Heresy) they don't play a major role in Imperial power struggles, they just run around blowing up things that the rest of the Imperium would otherwise have to blow up some other way.

The Guard has political commissars watching it closely and any serious attempt for them to exercise political power outside their immediate theater of operation is preemptively neutered by the Commissariat.

The bureaucracy and the clergy have mostly agreed to cooperate since a really big civil war and age of chaos that resulted from their internal conflicts.

The Navy, I think, also has commissars- and they're not so directly inconvenienced by the bullshit of the other major Imperial institutions, because they enjoy an effective monopoly within their own sphere of interest, which doesn't impinge heavily on the interests of the other factions.

That leaves the AdMech and the Inquisition. The Mechanicus are a real problem for the Imperium. The Inquisition is too, which is offset in part by the fact that they're the only body in the Imperium that has the depth of institutional knowledge and the red-tape-cutters to deal with certain categories of threats.
Well, frankly they make more sense the stupid bigger they get, since one must accept that the technology exists to build them. Bigger they are the better protected they could be, and the bigger obstructions they could clear due to that endless mecha problem of… how high can you actually lift the legs, and how well can the thing actually climb. plus they’d just be that much more likely to so totally outmass the opposition that being painfully inefficient doesn’t matter. Course just one of them falling over and leaking out its hydraulic fluid and lube oil could cause as much physical and ecological damage as a small atomic bomb…
The only problem is that they do seem to run into opposing units built to the same scale- orks, Chaos, and the alien Eldar all seem to have roughly comparable giant war walkers.

In which case they'd really be better off with a low-profile 'Titan hunter' built on a sufficiently large tank chassis... in fairness, they do have those.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

My personal opinion is to take the Codex and FF rpg descriptions and that there is very little actual central control. The mechanicisms and powers exist,indeed,IA is chock full of it but they aren't the norm.

The IG from each world would be raised from several directives,central tithes mandated from Terra on each world as tax are one source. Ideally,these would be structured to meet anticipated needs or to form armies of conquests and expeditionary forces.

The others would be tithes from segmentum command,meant to meet demands from Terra High lords. This could be specific.Contribute an army group for sabbat crusade,to more general demands like sustain the Halo Stars crusade or build an army to defend sector xxx against the Ork chalderon empire. I also expect another level of command to intersect here,which would have the authority to determine its own wars on a more minor level. No grand crusade against the Tau empire,but campaigns to secure a subsector of space against Tau incursion. Segmentum command would thus requisition forces directly from worlds,subsector or sector command to meet its own strategic needs or high lord directives.

So far,everything is purely strategic. Terra authorises and dictates goals,up to direct orders to each world to raise troops for centralised services but they don't direct campaigns.
Segmentum does the actual detailed planning,from Army group 80th will defend Fulda gap against Ork
invasion,primary units as directed supported by units/reserves from sector berlin and paris,under HQ BAOR,current
Warmaster/General Ilk. General Bradley will be in charge of sector berlin,army corp under General Monty.

Let me reorganise my thoughts regarding lower level of command,but the stuff here was inspired by Gunheads and Apocalypse,where permanent battle groups corps were formed, deathwatch,IG codex,Sabbat worlds crusade sourcebook regarding organisation.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Given the scale of the empire, I’d expect it to be all political at the top of all those groups. Basic limits exist to how much influence any leader could have over such vast organizations, and once you get fully detached from military operations, and are basically a staff above the military general staff, its all politics. This is a major problem with giant empires not only ruled by humans, but supposedly highly skeptical of computer technology.
Given the lack of a unified command structure, its kind of hard to see how all these myriad military forces aren’t in a constant state of civil war… over who gets to put down the latest rebellion if nothing else. [/quote]

They do fight at least periodically. IT's been mentioned that the individual planets or systems may compete or war with each other from time to time, especially on the frontiers (The Badab War in Imperial Armour 9 cover this, as do the early Rogue Trader/Arcadius novels.) That ties into the 'affairs of individual planets is largely irrelevant to the Imperium' until they arbitrarily decide otherwise or the tithes/taxes stop flowing. At the sector level, economic factors are likely to limit or halt excessive inter-planetary warfare because of the disruption of trade or profit that might ensue.

The Imperium really isn't all that centralized. The Imperium 'proper' - that is those that supposedly 'rule' from Terra, basically delegate authority to local represenatives to hopefully influence and oversee their slice of the pie, but they mostly stay out of local affairs beyond what their delegates at the various levels do or don't do, and let the systems, sectors, etc run themselves. Ultimately they really just serve as a place for the Imperium to draw resources from when it needs to (like for wars.). Any control they do have or exert is through technology (although this is more appropriately the AdMech's control), through Navigators and their contorl over long distance travel and trade plus the AStronomican (which is on Terra), and through controlling all FTL communications. Religion plays a role there too of course, but that's basically how it works in a simplified fashion. And it can lead to a fair bit of internal conflict, which can sometimes lead to breaking up or dividing the Imperium (the Horus Heresy, the Nova Terra Interregnum, The Age of Apostasy/Reign of Blood.). They lose worlds, gain new worlds, rediscover old worlds, and sometimes even destroy worlds. IT goes through periods of expansion and then contraction (the 'decline').

I’d rather people try too hard to make stuff fit, then just write all over each other for what, twenty five years now? Ignoring parts of Star Wars canon one find unfavorable is plainly easier then dealing with what to ignore in 40K when it seems to be the case that your stuck more accepting one source over all others for a topic, then removing only select parts that don’t fit.
Yeah and then things end up being like 'ICS DICTATES EVERYTHING' or that whole fiasco over Karen Traviss and the size of the Grand Army. The problem with 'too hard to fit' is that then you have to deal with WHOSE vision is more canonical, which leads to ideological/factional disputes. And versions which deviate from the TRUE PATH tend to cause problems. You know, like the status of WEG data in all this, or where the clone wars cartoons fit in the series, etc. When you have a strict canon hierarchy you really can't get away with arguing shit goes differently than what canon says.

40K is more insane without a canon policy, but its easier to ignore stuff because there's no higher authority to actually say you are wrong (within certain limits, arguably, but perhaps not even then.)

I dont know how much you got into Star Wars debates, but I vastly prefer 40K over Star Wars for analytical purposes and I was pretty 'deep' into the SW side of things (if thats something to be proud of.. :mrgreen:)

At billions of troops you're usually talking bout a sector/subsector level war, and that genreally means conducting a war across multiple fronts. The guy at the top (say a Warmaster) is generally setting the general focus and policy for a conflict or war. He's usually delegated authority to conduct that war as he needs, within certain guidelines or boundaries (in case he gets bright ideas to start taking power and carve out an empire of his own.) He'll have officers under him who might acutally command specific theatres of battle, who will have officers under them.. and so on. Sometimes the officers high up may take the field in a particular campaign or encounter.
That’s surely replacing the normal logistical channels quickly, all the more so if tax revenue is localized as well. Given the bad communications, it doesn’t seem like an integrated monetary system would even work in the first place so it probably is.
How bad are we defining communications? Slow? unreliable? how unreliable. In some cases (between planets or within a sector/subsector) ti can be fairly reliable - reliable enough that reasonable predictions can be made off the top of one's head (like in the first Eisenhorn novel.) If we're talking about communicating with Terra from some other segmentum then.. things might get iffier. Of course it also depends on the mode of astrotelepathic communication and the kind of message/data (there are apparently a number of ways that involve tradeoffs.)

Siege troops have the lighter weapons, so brilliant.
They might have. They had at least some fairly large artillery pieces. Whether they had superheavies there or not I don't know. They might have evne had Deathstrikes (basically vehicle launched ICBMs) although none were mentioned. Or the munitourm may have decided all that was too valuable to risk in a situation they didn't think was neccessary and held it back.

If firepower were that big an issue they wouldn't evne need to bother bringing big guns. Bring in a bombardment frigate, drop pod someone into plant or activate a homing beacon (or just find some other way to plant one) for the frigate to lock into, and then blast the fucking wall with a lance or something. No ground based weapon (unless you argue for certain classes of Titans or an Ordinatus packing it) will ever match the power of a starship's weapons.

A steam engine with a hot enough boiler would let you do that anyway. Get one of those plasma arc incinerators going and you can burn basically anything and potentially gain net power. Also boil concrete or uranium if you wanted.
Tanks with steam engines. THey have those too. Or at least so I hear - this being Imperial armour you may want to talk that with a grain of salt.

Good at what exactly, you lost me? Not declaring armored vehicles actually built during WW2 obsolete until as late as 1995.
The soviet approach to making war in or around the cold war IIRC. Doctrine, operation, etc. I hear alot of 'historical' shit bandied about whn it comes to tactics (which invariably crops up in any 40K discussion regardless.)
It's no more stupid than dealing with shit in Star Wars was. ARguments over naming conventions (the arugment over 'star dreadnought' vs ' super star destroyer' STILL goes on - that recent book on warfare that's coming out reignited it) the scope of the Empire, etc. I dont know if its differences or perspective or what but while I can see your point that 40K is not a bastion of forward thinking modern military doctrine, I don't see how its nearly the unworkable mess you claim it is. or at least any worse than any other sci fi franchise. For me its like complaining that we shouldn't be analyzing Star Wars because it fails to 100% conform to science, or something.
40K actually I now see has more established milstuff then I ever thought it did. Bad move it’s much better when it sticks with the essence of the setting. Back in the day when I played with it some in Middle School- early High School, I viewed it as a science fiction comedy and so did the handful of other people I knew who liked it. So its not like I come into this believing it should be written like Red Phoenix or similar books but authors and certain fans seem to have in fact pushed it that way. I mean, I like Lord of the Rings, but I don't waste time asking why nobody has begun making rifles after all the thousands of years of fairly advanced warfare.
It was back then around 1st or 2nd edition, but it grew more 'serious' (sarcasm) around 3rd edition. Nowadays its kind of a mixed bag. Sometimes its more a throwback to fantasy, some aspects are humor. Some ar emore 'detecitve mystery/drama' like Eisenhorn or other Inquisitorial stuff. Some is more 'Age of sail high advneture/exploraiton' Hornblower like stuff (mostly Rogue Trader or BFG/Navy stuff.). And some is.. sort of war. Maybe in a Bernard Cornwell sort of warfare way (I'm not sure how 'authentic' most of that is.) There's not much in the sense of a truly Baen-style milstuff war - I can think of a handful of novels offhand, and one of those is about the only example you'd ever see of 'picatinny rails' being mentioned, for example. Despite the whole 'emphasis' on War it actually isn't very warlike except maybe in a comic book fashion (which is why space marines predominante. :lol:)

The same is true of Star Wars actually: The closest to 'military' you ever got was that 'Jedi Trial' novel by Bragg and Sherman, and Karen Traviss' venture into the series.
I’m more of the opinion that the entire thing would fall apart either way. Its setup to be ungovernable.
AT the top? Yes it is. And in a way it has fallen apart.. not compeltely, but a great deal from what it was during the Crusade era - when it was at its most centralized.

But then again the GE is supposedly set up the same way if Palpy wasn't in charge - and guess what happened there? :P
No they' don't. At the bigger end of the scale they take a bolo concept, stick it on a pair of stilts, then put a church on top of that. It's actually more retarded than the other ones.

Frankly the only walkers I ever cared for were the Sentinels, and I even like them better than power armoured super soldiers.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

The problems iwth Codexes, aside from being too generalized, is that they tend to suffer from the most extreme cases of 'bias' because each codex is basically written from the POv of the faction it represents. CF: Codexes dealing with Space Marines (most paricularily the Grey Knights) or the Tyranid codex. Whether Codex: IG makes the Guard look good or not is a matter of taste, but it suffers from rather blatant propoganda at the very least.

FFG material is also 'pov' to an extent (mostly Imperial - this is highlighted as a detail within the more recent Black Crusade stuff.) but it also tends to be more objective than the Codexes, generally more detailed, and deal with a scope that is consistently far higher than merely the planetary level.

Novels generally are the 'local' perspective of most things, but they suffer from a.) lacking the broader focus and b.) generally being a more subjective view of the galaxy than the toher two sources, especially given how they focus on characters.

other sources tend to fall randomly in between those three categories. The uplifting primers for example fall somewhere between novels and codexes because they're both obvious propoganda (and there is a fair bit of bias involved) but they involve specific personal details you rarely see elsewhere.

This is also one reason why I *like* the fact 40K has no canon policy. There is no 'creatoer' to fuck things up, no 'bible' to enforce thinking along narrow lines, etc. There's still plenty of dogma and argument, but no better or worse than erupted in any othre franchise I've seen.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Well now I get around to posting part two of the Siege of Vraks.. actually I'll do two updates, this is just part one. I guess after that last discussion I was being too polite to siege of Vraks: It's as fundamentally retarded as Taros campaign was, and as retarded as IA8 will be, just a different version of retarded. In retrospect that makes some sense. Whilst I dont quite buy into Sea Skimmer's idea of 'super huge antigrav vehicles' or things like that, I'm not sure its neccessary to have something like that. They have heavily armed and armoured IG drop ships (guns and missiles) which could do that. Or they could be deploying any number of heavy/super heavy transports (baneblade variants and the Gorgon) which could be transporting troops protected into the assault. Or so on and so forth. But they're not, because they're fighting a 'mathematical' war with meat droids, and they have stupid officers because (to inject an out of universe argument) they need to follow a thematically appropriate trench warfare scenario for thematically appropriate reasons, so the vehicles don't get pulled out until later on.

Ultimately - like Taros - this is a war fought by the bureacrats and penny pinchers, and it goes against normal procedure (at least as normal as things usually get for the Guard and Munitorum) - which means they expend alot of time and effort to conduct a long distance campaign retardedly, getting fucked in the ass in the process. Ugh.

Well, lets see what we can salvage form it.. here we go....

Page 18
four ammunition pouches for lasgun powerpacks..
I wonder if the pouches carry one pack or several. This could suggest as few as four but as many as eight, twelve or more powerpacks per trooper.

Page 18
At 790812.M41, 200,000 guardsmen of the Krieg 143rd Siege Regiment marched.. ..into the holds of their transport vessels.

They were just the beginning of a vast armada of vessels in orbit above Krieg now preparing to load and rendezvous for the journey to VRaks.
Starting point and time of the load-up to head for Vraks. It did not seem to be a straight line course.

Page 43
This weapon will have been looted from the vast stockpiles of small arms stored in Vraks' armouries. The name autogun is a general term covering conventional projectile weapons (ie, they fire a bullet) and, whilst not as common amongst Imperial Guard regiments as lasguns, autoguns are issued in substantial numbers to some regiments. There are many diffrent models and patterns of such weapons manufactured across the Imperium. The simple technology needed to manufacture autoguns makes them common on frontier worlds where contact with the Imperium is infrequent, and also with gang members on Hive-worlds.

As a weapon, the autogun is comparable in effectiveness to a lasgun but lacks some of the lasgun's versatility and reliability. Autoguns are prone to jamming, especially in dusty and muddy conditions, where intricate moving parts can quickly become fouled. A good maintenance routine is necessary for troops armed with autoguns. In general, autoguns and their ammunition are also heavier than lasguns and their power cells.
Militiamen autogun. 'effectiveness' is a bit open ended (does it mean it creates the same sort of hole/wounding mechanism as an autogun? And if so what kind of autogun are we talking about. Or maybe it means 'as good at stopping/killing someone' which could apply to thermal or mechanical damage mechanisms...) It also doesn't account for rate of fire (a lasgun's 'canonical' rat eof fire is 220 rpm, whereas the autogun here has 650.. nearly 3x the ROF so does that mean individual lasblasts are 3x more powerful?)

The advantages of lasguns also implies that a.) lasguns have far fewer moving parts (less mechanically complex, which is not terribly surprising) which apparently contributes to their ease of maintenance. I'm not sure what 'versatility' is referring to, but it could be variable settings or other modes (focus, fire modes, etc.) Having a rifle that can emulate intermediate and full power cartridges - for example, can be quite an asset in different combat situations.

Weight for the weapon and its ammo is a non-trivial asset too, since carrying a heavy weapon (or having to hold it up and aim it) can be fatiguing and make aiming difficult. And in the case of ammo, having power packs lighter than a comparable autogun magazine means you can carry more of them for a given carry weight. EG if power packs weigh 400 grams and autogun packs weigh 500 grams, and you can carry 10 kg of ammo total, that means you could carry 25 power packs vs 20 autogun mags. considering that lasguns typically have several times more 'shots' than autoguns already, this is a non-trivial advantage (we're literally talking thousands of rounds of ammo equivalent.)

Page 43
Thios particular autogun is an Agripinaa pattern, type III. It fires a long 8.25 calibre round, on either single shot, semi-automatic, and fully automatic, with a cyclic rate of fire of 650 rounds per minute with a muzzle velocity of 820 metres per second. It takes both a 20 and a 30 round box magazine.
Described later in IA6 as well. Gives us a benchmark of performance for lasguns. The round number-wise seems better than 5.56 Nato or the 7.62x39.. almost as or as much as a full power round or the old .280 British perhaps, if not more. OF course this depends on what you figure 8.25 calibre to be too.

Of course what we're seeing here is basically the 40K equivalent of a M-14 (and then some) which seems a bit silly but this being Forge world maybe we shouldn't be shocked? It may be that the cultists become so mutated they have the strength or raw mass to handle these things, or maybe accuracy is a secondary concern (this is Chaos after all.)

If we assume 8.25 is mm that means the round is basically a .33 calibre which is a fairly large round (12-15 grams depending on source IIRC) and we're talking a very powerful full calibre round (several times the KE and momentum of an assualt rifle catridge. For example at 13 grams you're talking 10.7 kg*m/s and 4.4 kj of KE. While it is not absolute, bullets of that calibere and performance are known to make rather large holes in living things (possibly something like this) which is not trivial. Again for an 'equivalence' to lasguns that would be impressive, especially if that were the lower setting (higher might be something more like an elephant gun or a .50 cal lol)

Bear in mind that effectiveness (as outlined above) may or may not include rate of fire (650 rpm at 4.4 kj, for example is ~48 kj total, which is something like 12-13 kj per shot roughly. It also goes without saying that lasguns having this performance is less absurd since they don't have the recoil, esp on full auto lol.

Page 43
The autogun includes a flash suppressor, but one of the weapon's drawbacks is its excessive muzzle flash on firing, along with the excessive recoil of the weapon in fully auomatic mode due to the size of the round being fired - making fully-automatic firing wildly inaccurate at standard combat ranges. The type III version attempted to correct this by the addition of a counter-weight, a heavy block placed at the front of the fore grrip, designed to reduce the weapon's natural tendency to rise off target during automatic fire, thus assisting the firer in keeping the target in his sights. Whilst testing confirmed the counter weight did aid accuracy, it also added to the weapon's considerable weight. The gun only includes a basic iron sight.
This tends to reinforce the idea of a "full power" round rather than an intermediate catridge, as well as the silliness of trying to fire such a weapon full auto. I'm pretty sure the counterweight may be nonstandard. All of this btw is also covered in IA6, so I may end up repeating myself.

Page 18
Lord Commander Zuehlke established his headquarters on Thracian Primaris...

...his unstoppable war machine was now in motion, his personal presence on Vraks itself was not required. He would oversee the campaign from a comfortable distance. Victory was already assured, all he needed to do was see that the replacement men and supplies kept rolling in on time.
Interesting that the guy could be at least one planet over and still able to conduct the war (via astropath) One wonders how he got the data and what kind. Then again its possible he didnt take a in depth interest in running the war. After all [sarcasm] "its just mathematics" with the krieg forces. Victory is assured. It's not like Chaos would do something unpredictable to screw things up. right?

PAge 18
The first convoy of transport ships carrying men, equipment, and supplies from Krieg began to arrive in the Vraks system at 199812.M41. The Vanguard of 88th Siege army was carried in twenty one transport vessels of various sizes, protected by a fleet of Imperial Navy escort ships under the command of Admiral Rasaik from his flagship, the cruiser Lord Bellerophon.
Note that they left the Krieg system in 812.M41 and arrive there - its still the same year.

Later on on page 18 they discuss the construction of the railroad and that it takes "nearly a year" and still occured within year 812. This means that the transit between Vraks and Krieg could have taken no more than a few months, tops. According to the 5th edition map, a straight line course from Krieg to the Scarus sector is going to be about 30-40 thousand, give or take a few thousand (and since that passes straight through the eye, its clearly not straight line. Lets call it 30-40K LY within 1-4 months. That would require at LEAST 100,000C but could go up to half a million c on straight line, and thats not neccesarily even an upper limit. Calling it "hundreds of thousands of c" at least for military transports though seems reasonable.

It's worth noting that yet again, we have the Munitorum responding to a crisis not by drawing reinforcements from neighboring worlds to handle the assault, but from tens or thousands of light years away. And more to the point they manage to pull this off successfuly for years if not decades - unlike Taros. Whether its due to politics, or because this is a Munitorum world (and their ego/pride is at stake rather than some other organization's) or because of the locations (a world that is relatively close to Terra and closer to the Astronomican, whereas the tau are on the ass end of nowhere.) we don't know. It does demonstrate that in the right cirucmstances, and with the right motivations, they can pull off and maintain long term supply and logistics, even if they can't pull off any other aspect of this war intelligently.

Another point to consider is that, while timeframes are hard to pin down, it seems that the preparations to assault Vraks (from the point of deciding on the approach, gathering intel, mobilizing the forces, and picking the commander.) the entire process took no more than 2 years, and possibly less than that, which is perhaps half again or twice as long as Taros (or at worst case, as long) - but considering the scale of the forces involved this is perhaps notable. They seem better prepared and supplied than the forces at Taros, which is perhaps the only good thing to say about this. One wonders why Taros was harder to supply than this conflict given the distances are not that dramatically different... gah.

Page 18
The landing zones had been chosen to provide the 88th siege army with a secure bridgehead on the surface, a place to build up its supplies and reigments before any battle would be fought.

Atlas excavators, an engineering variant of the Atlas recovery tank carrying trench digging equipment, set about ploughing up the trench lines, then minefields and razorwire were added to the defences.
- Atlas Excavators, engineering variant of the Atlas recovery tank, and the establishment of the landing zone (a time consuming process. Yay trench warfare!)

Page 18
For months the landing zone was a hive of activity, as the big landing ships roared overhead ferriying more troops and more guns down from the transports in orbit above. Shuttles went to and fro constantly and the supplies they delivered were stockpiled in vast reserves of food, ammunition, water and every other item the army would require for its twelve year war.

It took almost a year for the army to be fully in place. In the meantime the Departmento Munitorum had also landed a large labour corps. It consisted of half a million men from the penal colonies of arphista with a special mission to assist the war effort.

they would still have a thousand miles of barren wilderness to cross before they reached their first objective.

The labour corps set to work digging and laying railway lines.

When the time came, the railway would transport the reigments to forward depots, before they made their approach march to the enemy defnece line. Onboard one of the largest transport ships came a delegation of adeptus mechanicus Enginseers, and with them came their locomotives- great bellowing machines of steel and wheels, capable of pulling hundreds of heavy carriages.
The scope of the "preparations" include not only massive stockpiling and supply runs, but also the installation of a rail line. Kinda neat that they can just throw a rail system up anywhere they want, time consuming as it may be but... oh well.

Note in partiuclar that it "took almost a year" and "months" for the preparations including the building of the railroad to complete, which as noted above, sets definite constraints on FTL speed from Krieg to Scarus (and Vraks.)

The flip side of the coin is.. what have the renegades and cultists been doing to prepare in this time and what plans have they made?

Page 19
At 965812.M41 the first locomotive set off, carrying the men and guns of the 3rd Siege regiment. It powered across the Saritama plains night and day. On arrival the regiment esablished the forward depot, they were now less than a hundred miles from teh enemy's lines.

The locomotives rolled non-stop carrying men forwards, whilst the labour corps worked to maintain the track and extend the main line with branch lines to secondary depots for storing ammunition, fuel, and other vital supplies. The massive logistiical supporrt for sustaining the Krieg regiment's method of waging war was now in place.
a whole day to cover some 1600 km for an average speed of some 67 kph. Is this impressive for trains? I dont know.

Also note that it is still 812.M41. This means that the trip from Krieg to Vraks took FAR less than a year.. a few months at most, if that, which sort of reinforces my earlier calcs.

Page 19
Rather than massing for one attack at a single point, and allowing the enemy to amass his forces to block it, the line korps would attempt to encircle Vraks and apply pressure all along the line.

Of course, all korps attacks needed good coordination, to avoid regiments becoming too far advanced and vulnerable to strong enemy counter-attacks. Each gain must be taken carefully and steadily. IT was not in the Krieg regiment's doctrine to drive deep into enemy territory without the support of flanking regiments.
I guess they needed some way to slow the advance down even farther and give Chaos a chance to get their shit together. Concentrating or spreading the forces out, the killbox they'll face is the same, but the momentum they can put on it is greater the more concentrated they are. Is it really possible the enemy can mobilize and shift forces faster than the 'Krieg can? I suppose that's possible, given they're on the inside of the circle and the Krieg are on the outside.

I'm betting there's more of this 'mathematical' warfare.

Page 19
For this reason it was important that the first defence lines be overwhelmed quickly, at any cost.

Once the second line was cracked, the ring around Vraks' citadel could close in again to the inner defence line, entirely encircling the Citadel and for the first time bringing it under long range artillery fire.

Once in position the 88th Siege army could then afford to sit and wait; with the enemy penned in, there wuold be no respite or hiding from the big guns of Krieg, which would eventually pound them to destrcution.
Sounds easy doesn't it? Want to place bets on how likely it is things will turn out this way?

Page 20
...sentires in the outposts of Vraks' outer defence lines stared, bleary-eyed out across the cold, dusty landscape. Miles away to the west, many eyes stared back - watching through range-finder surveyors and scanners and awaiting the order to fire. Gun crews stood to attention beside their guns. Heavy Earthshaker barrels were raised to the sky in an ominous salute to the new dawn. Behind, the gun's shells were laid out ready for sustained bombardment.
Range finder surveyors and scanners. I guess this is not totally WW1 era in all respects. I'm guessing thats for the artillery stuff, which is pretty neat at least.

PAge 20
Suddenly the comms-box crackled into life, static hissed and a steam of high-pitched bleeps came through The operator quickly flicked switches and the vox caster de-scrambled the flash message.
Krieg voxes for comms.

PAge 20
Gunners and crews braced themselves as the order was received over their helmet communicators.
The gunners, it seems, at least have helmet comms, even if the individual troopers don't.

Page 20
Nearly fifteen kilometres away the shells landed with a splintering crash, throwing pulverised stone and grey dust into the sky in thick plumes as the flames of the high explosives within roared.

Over the din of Earthshaker rounds came the terrible howl of heavier bombard shells, falling steeply to add to the storm now erupting. Rocks the size of paving slabs were tossed into the air, flaling like rain, only to be picked up and flung againas the next shell impacted.
Earthshaker and bombard pieces firing.. seem to have simialr range.

Page 20
Meanwhile, behind the outer defence line's forward positions, the defender's gunners were racing to respond with counter-battery fire. Basilisk artillery pieces trundled forwards into pre-prepared firing pits, well protected from enemy fire.

A final check of range to target, elevation, traverse... and the Basilisks fired, the recoil driving the forty tonne armoured vehicle violently backwards as the dampers strained to withstand the energies released by the shot.
The Defenders seem to have emplaced self propelled artilley as well as the fixed emplacements (makes sense.) REcoil of these demolisher cannons is such that it imparts considerable backwards momentum to the chassis, rather consistent iwth (approximtely) a 38 kg shell fired at 814 m/s (31,000 kg*m/s worth of momentum, would propel the tank back at nearly 1 m/s) The Basilisks in Storm of Iron were similar.

Page 20
The Krieg gunners laboured with shells and charge bags as sporadic explosions suddenly fountained around them.

At the 413th battery an enemy shell scored a direct hit, smashing an Earthshakler cannon to pieces like a child's toy...

It was a lucky hit at the extreme range of the enemy guns, but it signalled that the artillery duel would not be a one sided battle.
15 km or so seesm to be defined as "extreme range" for precise hits (eg low chance of them) also note the use of charge bags rather than a whole shell, despite the fact some of the models and drawings show an entire, intact shell+ casing being loaded.

Of course Earthshaker ranges can be.. variable so this shouldnt be taken as an absolute even in Forge world terms.

Page 20
Pinned under daily bombardment the enemy clung to his solid bunkers and defence lines, offering little fight except sniper shots and harassing mortar fire. The two lines were drawn up parellel to each other, staring across the vacuum o fno-man's land, which neither side ventured into.
Sniper weapons seem to have range comparable to mortar fire and (possibly) heavy weapons. Multi km perhaps?

Page 20
..but the heavy shelling was acting as a covering bombardment, preventing the enemy from engaging the advancing infantry at long range and harassing the enemy's own artillery positions.
In theory. Mainly I'm covering this detail by detail just to indicate just how trench warfare this is. I think we can all guess how it ultimately turns out.

Page 22
Each [Enemy line] was more of a defensive zone, into which had been placed trenches, defence line (these were low reinforced ferrocrete and plasteel walls) usually connecting pillboxes. There were heavy bunkers with multiple firing slits for heavy weapons, weapon pits reinforced by sandbags and, where necessary, ad-hoc harricades built of rubble filled fuel drus, corrugated steel and flak boards. Burrowed undeground were personnel shelters to protect the defenders from enemy artillery. All these positions were protected by miles of tank traps and razor wire, as well as anti-tank ditches and minefields.

Since the uprising, the enemy had re-laid miilions of mines, so that any Imperial Intelligence on the location of minefields was now invalidated. In places the defensive positions were combined into strongpoints, resistance nests that were strong enough to withstand the heaviest shells. These nests usually provided the defenders with interlocking fields of fire for mutual support. In all each defence line might be as much as five miles deep, providing the defenders with excellent cover and a defence in depth. Breaking each defence line would be a major undertakiny...
More on the killtastic and upgraded defences of Vraks. Note how they have their weaponry (especialyl the heavy weapons providing interlocked killing fields and an overall "five miles deep" defence line. Lots of room to work in and kill Kriegers in.

Page 22
At 212813.M41 the first infantry attack was set to begin. Half a million men would attack in waves over the course of two days. The first wave was not expected to make much progress, but was to attack with strong infantry probes to find weak spots in the enemy lines. The second wave, led by grenadier units, would hit these weak spots hard, gain a foothold in the defence lines and hold them until day two, when the third wave would move through them and expand the hole.
The attack was made by the 149th regiment, with support from the 143rd and 150th regiment, and the 11th assault korps (behind) Half a million men total in 4 regiments, suggests regiment sizes on the order of oh.. 100k or so. Which would make a bit of sense considering the later mentioned casualties, size of platoons and companies, and whatnot.

This might also suggest one can determine the use and 'quality' of a regiment given its size. Large formations are more likely to be cannon fodder (like the Kriegers) whereas armoured fist and armoured regiments (usually around a few thousand or less) are probably more 'quality' troops.

Page 22
In the front trenches were the infantry's own mortars, these would provide plunging fire into enemy trenches as the guardsmen went ove rthe top. Behind them, in the second line of trenches would be heavy mortars and quad launchers, targeting identified enemy heavy weapons positions. Still further back would be medusa siege guns, targeting enemy bunkers and pillboxes. Further behind even these would e the Earthshakers, providing a dense rolling barrage that would precede the infantry companies to pin the enemy infantry in his shelters.

finally, there were the bombards, these onstrous guns would be adding their considerable weight to the rolling barrage, then switch to hit enemy strong points deeper in the defence zone. Over four million artillery shells had been stockpiled to support the offensive, it would be the heaviest barrage of the war yet, concentrated across three sectors.
The artillery setup, involving some four million artillery shells from mortar bombs to bombard shells, even with small amounts of TNT (a few kg per shell) we're talking kilotons of HE ordnance spread over the bombardment. How long it takes to deliver that... is another question.

PAge 23
In the short distances across no-man's land thousands died in minutes.

Massacred in their turn, whole platoons wre simply annihilated by the intense enemy fire.
Apparently the Vraks upgraded defences were as killtastic as they hoped. This becomes a fairly common sight in this and part 2. Unfortunately.

Page 23
Of 32nd Company's nine platoons, some 600 strong at the outset, 542 were killed or injured in the first wave. Evey officer was killed. At roll-call tha tevening, the 58 survivors were not enough men to constitute a single full-strength platoon.
32nd company is 600 men, which is several times greater than a 'typical' platoon. Platoon strength is perhaps 66-67 men.

Page 23
It was the traitor's turn to surge out across the no-man's land. With no preliminary bombardment so as to avoid forewarning the defenders, the enemy's squads, many riding in Chimera carriers attacked.
The Vraksians make a heavily mechanized counter attack, which seems more intelligent than the Kriegers (but then agian they dont seem to have Chimeras, and the Vraksians do.) Bear in mind 'intelligent' is relative in this case but they at least make freeer use of resources at the outset than the Imperium does (we dont even see vehicle assaults til later. Gotta cover the thematic angle step by step!)

It's also worth laughing at the sheer mentality of the Munitorum. They basically stockpiled shit-tons of this stuff 'just in case' - apparently never using all these vehicles and shit - just because - and then when the place falls it provides a useful source of material for the defenders to fight back. HOW CONVENIENT.

On the other hand if the Munitorum in the sector is NOT run by complete retards, it does show how support resources can be provided at need (vehicles and what not.)

Page 23
Despite his squad's lasgun and heavy stubber fire the attackers closed in.
Kriegers have heavy stubbers in support.

Page 24
88th Siege army was losing an average of 2,000 men a day, without any regiment actually launching an attack. Of course, the losses had all been planned for, and for the Krieg regiments, the replacements kept arriving to re-fill the ranks.
I'm glossing over the trench warfare stuff because quite simply it should be predictable -we're seeing WW1 or so style tactics being used. static positions, lots of firepower, lots of casualties, assaults constantly failing. All so very grimdark and bleak and boring and generally stupid.

Page 24
Amongst the corpses moved the Quartermasters and their aides, gathering any salvagable equipment, stripping the corpses of uniforms, weapons and supplies, all to be returned to the logistics pool and re-issued to new arrivals. What was a single body to these grim figures. A chance to update the supply lists with far more important items than easily replacable flesh.
One could almost be fighting a war with munitorum clerks - OH WAIT THEY ARE. No wonder the Munitorum/Adminstiratum love the Krieg.

Page 25
..and underneath the bunkers lay reinforced personnel shelters and stores for the garrisoning troops, all approachable in safety via an undeground tunnel that ran back for half a mile.
Half a mile of tunnels, underground. A well prepared defence I suppose.

Page 25
His men had only three hundred yards to cover to reach the relative safety of the fort's anti-tank ditch.

After the first hundred yards the enemy had not responded.

Then a heavy bolter barked. Suddenly 9th company were under fire.
They seem to take fire at 200 yards. Implied that they could have taken fire from further out (300+ yards.. 300 yards was considered a short range.)

Page 25
The captain was wounded in the leg by a shard of bone as the guardsman next to him vanished in a welter of blood, the bolter's warhead tearing him apart form within.
'

Heavy bolter blasting apart a Krieg guardsmen, grenade style.

Page 28
They captured an entrance to a personnel shelter and, after a melta-gun blasted the steel door into molten metal, Tyborc led them down the ferrocrete steps into the bunker below.
Assuming the door is ~1.8 meters tall, .4 meters wide, and about 3 cm thick... call it between 100-200 kg since its not a precise calc. maybe 100-200 MJ over an unspecified time to melt. Call it double or triple digit MW as an Order of magnitude calc.

Page 28
Tyborg was wounded for a third time, taking a head wound from an enemy bullet, but now his shattered helmet had saved his life.
Tyborg takes wounds in the legs, right arm, ,abdomne, and head. This would tend to suggest that his armor helped save him from wounds in those locations as well as his head. If he had any armor that is. Or maybe Krieg guardsmen are just that tough (or fanatical.)

Page 28
Unknown to the gallant captain and his men his runner had reached their own line. It had taken him several hours to get back across no-man's land, crawling from shell hole to shell hole under enemy fire.
some shell holes at least seem big enough for a man to hide in, although whether single or overlapped shells we aren't told.

Page 29
His water supply was out, his laspistol showed empty. He had new wounds on his legs and stomach.

Captain Tyborc staggered from his bolthole wounds in both legs, his right arm, abdomen and head, and with just eight wounded men still under his command

his unifrom was ragged and scorchedm his helmet shattered.
More on Tyborcs injuries.

Page 29
Suddenly where there had once been an endless stalemate, the Death Korps was advancing.

Briefly, this was no longer a grinding trench war, but fightin in the open ground.
Which they don't seem to fight much differently from the trench war, but oh well.

Page 37
Captured Griffon mortar carrier. Additional recognition markings have been applied over its original colour scheme. The Griffon's targeter is inset.
- Griffon mortar carrier depcited here. It has a targeter on a high-rise pole (the pole being about as tall as the Griffon itself) I wondered about this in IA3 I believe, well I have my answer!

Logically there's no reason basilisks couldn't have targeters like that either (or Russes for that matter) or something similar. We know that even sentinels (the support model) can gt them anyhow.

Page 38
The defenders had mustered a substantial armoured reserve at hab-zone 1. Leman Russes, Chimeras, Basilisks and Griffons had all been husbanded there, along with crews in order to conduct the counter-attack.

As the enemy closed in, the infantry riding inside Chimeras and on the rear decks of the tanks disembarked.

..the Krieg guardsmen returned fire with lasguns, heavy stubbers and heavy bolters.
Again the defenders seem to at least semi-understand elements of mobility against the enemy, and use it against the Krieg and the munitorum, who seemed too stupid to provide matching forces. Nope its not the right thematic moment for armour and vehicles to be utilized yet it seems.

Page 40
Adal ordered his reserve companies into the line to try to stem the tide. The enemy's momentum had to be stopped. Adal also requested reinforcements from his Korps commander...

He needed men, artillery and tanks from the Korps reserve if he was to hold. Failing that he would seek to pull back and establish a new defensive line.

No reinforcements were available, he must hold his ground with the forces at his disposal. There could be no withdrawals. But the pressure on his lines was building, and Adal knew that with the loss of the second trenches, he would be forced to withdraw or face the prospect of an enemy breakthrough.
What? They have millions of troops on planet (tens of millions perhaps) why the fuck can't they commit reserves? This will cost the Krieg side, and cement the idiocy of the commander.

Note that they apparently also have shitloads of tanks as well and yet...

Page 40
,,,until the Colonel himself was killed when the enemy brought forwards a Hellhound flamethrower tank to smoke them out. Of his fate nothign was ever known, his body incinerated in the blasts of super-heated promethium that finally destroyed his cojmmand post.
"incinerated" by a Hellhound, which means either badly burned or turned to ash. Take your pick. "burnt" could mean something like flash burned (as little as a megajoule or half a megajoule for full body third degree burns) to full cremation (hundreds fo megajoules to several GJ depending on efficiency.). Or possibly somewhere in between (charred and blackened or having bodily fluids boiled off, which woudl be somewhere in the double digit MJ)

Page 41
In all, fifty two tanks of the 7th Tank regiment, Leman Russes and Macharius heavy tanks, had been positioned, against an estimated enemy attack that still had over a hundred, although their numbres were growing all the time if reports were to be believed. The 15th Tank compnay, consisting of a dozen Leman Russes was commanded by Captain Gerszon from his own Vanquisher.
They finally seem to find some sort of reserve to stem the Vraksian armour/mechanised assault. Too little, too late. I also have this feeling that things aren't turning otu as 'mathematical' as they thought.

Page 41
It wasn't long before he spotted enemy tanks to the south. Opening fire at long range he scored a hit, and a cloud of black smoke rose from his target. Watching through his surveyor, the tank commander saw the turret of the enemy tank break apart before flames came boiling up from inside. The enemy pressed forwards, and armour-piercing tank shells were streaking back and forth. One shell glanced off Gerszon's turret, another disabled the bow lascannon, leaving the gunner mortally wounded. Gerson hit two more enemy tanks before being struck a third time. This time a fuel tank ruptured. Fuel was leaking into his tank, and he ordered his survivors out.
Tank commander has a "surveyor" of some kind. either handheld or built into the tank. Note the extensive use of AP tank shells, and no tanks being knocked about wildly like in some cases.

Page 41
19th Siege regiment had been shredded in the first two days, over eighty thousand men of the regiment had been captured or become casualties, including its commanding officer.
at least eighty thousand men in the regiment, and this implies that it was the bulk of the regiment.. which substantiates the possibel idea that a Krieg (siege) regiment numbers 100,000 or so.

Page 42
As he ordered the remaining tanks of his unit back, he watched as a suqadron of Death Riders, lances lowered, charged forward in a hopeless display of reckless courage. After a day of fighting, withdrawing and fighting again, only nine Krieg Leman Russes and two Macharius tanks survived, but the enemy had suffered at least as many losses.
They even throw Death riders at the Vraskian assault. Yes they have horse infantry. admittedly its Vat grown, geneticallyl bred super cyborg horses or something like that, but still.

I think we've reached the bottom of the barrel for this book once you get the lance charges coming in. I dont think we're quite even at WW1 tactics.. we're descending to Napoleonic now.

Page 43
This militiamen's boots are standard issue combat boots, with moulded rubber soles and steel toecaps The boot's greave-plate is a standard attachment issued to Imperial Guardsmen, no doubt plundered from Vraks supplies.

Not being front-line combat troops, the garrison auxilia were not generally issued with any form of body armour, and this trooper has corrected thi swith the addition of hand-fordged plasteel armour plates. These will provide rudimentary protection in battle, especailly in hand-to-hand combat, but also against lasgun impacts. Such items are invariably heavier and more encumbering than actual body armour.
I'd guess the chestplate is maybe half an inch to an inch thick. Apparently body armor only goes to "front line" troops rather than secondary. although whether this is guard doctrine or just Vraksian procedure I dont know. I'm pretty sure in FFG and other sources even the conscripts get flak of some kind.

these "hand forged plasteel' provides "rudimentary" protection that can provide reisstance agianst HTH and lasgun impacts, although at the cost of heavy armor. Implied to be comparable to actual body armor in quality though (whether in comparison to the soft or hard flak component, up to debate.)

And the miltiamen boots. Note the "greave plate".. implies leg/shin armor of some kind exists for guardsmen (which may match with what we are hinted at in the uplifting primer. )

Page 43
The militiamen's most distinctive piece of equipment is his rebreather. This large piece of equipment hs been constructed from air tanks, again scavenged from VRaks' stores, and a hand-sewn gas hood. It is known that all the defenders were instructed to construct such items, most likely because their leaders were planning to utilise prescribed chemical weapons as part of their dfensive strategy (chemical weapons were found in considerable numbers in secure deep stroage.) The rebreather is both a filtration system and an airtight breathing system.

The top cylinder of the backpack is the air tank, and allows the wearer to operate for a limited period in enviroments where there is no oxygen available. The tank can supply the wearer with air for two to three hours. The lower cylinder is the filtration system, where air from the atmosphere is drawn in, filtered for harmful agents, then pumped up the breather hose into the gas hood. Alternatively, if the air is breathable, then both systems can be shut off, and the breather grgill on the front of the hood opened, so the user does not have to go through the long proces of removing the hood and tanks in battle.

Many militiamen modified their gas hoods with a plasteel faceplate for additional protection.
[/quote]

Makeshift gas mask. Rather odd that despite being a armoury world, they don't seem to have stockpiled much spare armor or rebreathers, evne though both are fairly standard issue. Or lasweapons, for that matter. But there are tons of tanks, artillery platforms, and the like...

Also chemical weapons are 'prescribed', yet they still carry and stockpile them. Although (fortunately?) they seem to stock no nukes.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Part 2... the hurting continues... And if that weren't bad enough Space Marines (chaos and loyalist) get involved to fuck things up some more.

Page 46
Eventually 1st Korps was in position agianst the second defence line, and the Citadle was surrounded from sector 62-47 all the way anti-clockwise to sector 54-38, a front of 250 kms.
Scale of the front the Krieg are assaulting.

Page 46
During the 88th army's advance they had overrun many of Vraks' outer storage facilities. These huge underground bunkers, accessible via large cargo lifts down into the cavernous storehouses below, had been stripped bare. The war materials that had been stored there were gone, plundered down to the last round by the rebels and moed closer to the fortress for protection. These supplies were the life blood of the defenders, the means of matching the 88th army's massive logistical support train that saw hundreds of tonnes of artillery shells being delivered every day, along with shining new barrels or breech blocks to replacec thos ethat had become worn-out by over-use.
Scope of the logistical battle. "Hundreds of tons" of shells sounds alot per day, but consider that your average earthshaker shell is ~40 kg. Assuming 1000 tons daily, thats only 25,000 shells (and it could go as few as 5,000 a day.) Assuming 500 guns that's only 10-50 guns per shell. At one round per minute say they could only fire an hour.

All this assumes we take 'hundreds' literally, of course.

Page 46
And so it did; the tireless, pitiless cycle grinding ever on. Like an insatiable beast the siege of Vraks consuming men and equipment daily, with a voracious appetite.
Did I say "yay Trench warfare?" before? I mean it. I really do. They really like beating this (vat grown, genetically engineered cyborg) horse quite a bit. Thematically appropriate and all that.

Page 46
The endless artillery duel again turned the frontline into a crater field, where shell holes, some tens of feet deep, overlapped.
We dont know what caused that shell, or if its a single or multiple. Several 5 meter diameter craters per shell (~2-3m deep roughly) we might be looking at 25-30 kg of TNT (roughly guessed by the ADC scaling) That could be for earthshakers or mortars, but it might also be for the bombard.

Page 46
Frequent sporadic fighting along the front would result in casualties. Especially night time 'bombing' raids, where a small group would infiltrate across no-man's land to throw a cluster of grenades into enemy positions, before escaping back to their own lines. Also, small raiding parties would seek to kidnap a sentry, clubbing them unconssious before dragging them away for interrogation. Both sides employed the tactics of constant harassment, which never allowed their opponents across no-man's land a moment of unguarded rest.
I have to wonder, if they can sneak across the no mans land like that at night, why can they coordinate a much more comprehensive infiltration effort? Wouldn't that be better than grinding attrition?

Page 46
At 649818.M41 the 158th regiment made a large raid in sector 50-45, its objective to capture and destroy a defence laser silo, part of Vraks' network of orbital defences/ The silo had been buried deep, to protect it from orbital bombardment, and so any artillery bombardment that proceeded the attack had little hope of inflicting much serious damage.

The silo itself was mostly underground, protected on the surface by razorwire, a dense minefield and several reinforced gun emplacements.
The defence lasers were (somehow) buried some distance underground. That suggests they're pretty large and immobile.

Of course this assumes ALL the defence lasers Vraks has are of the same kind. We know that not all defence lasers are alike, and some are more massive, fixed and immobile (designed to hit orbital targets) while some are smaller and more turreted. Both could be used on the base.

Page 47
Only for his orders to be cut short as a heavy bolter shell decapitated him.
Interesting to speculate whether the kinetic impact or explosive warhead decapitated him.

Page 47
Watching through scanners, the officers in the trenches opposite could make out very little.
Krieg officers using scanners again. All this fancy sensor crap doesn't seem to be doing them a damn bit of good.

Page 47
Seven years of bitter and gruelling fighting that had seen millions slaughtered for the few miles gained.
Millions of casualties in seven years of war. We know its fewer than 4 million (8 million with wounded at least) over some 17-18 regiments.. thats a few tens of thousands of killed annually per regiment.

Page 51
Cyclops remote control demolition vehicle. Cyclops were commonly used to attack enemy bunkers and pillboxes, although many were destroyed crossing no-man's land.
I again wonder why these things don't mount any reusable ranged weapons for something so "high tech". Or maybe more heavily armoured and used as mobile cover for the infantry.

Page 54
A convoy of transport vessels entered the system carrying the 46th line korps, with three more regiments to assist in breaking the deadlock around the second defence lines. These were troops that had been designated for other warzones, but now Zuehkle's political connectiosn had proved useful in getting the extra troops he wanted.
for once, politics favors the Krieg invasion force. It won't help, unfortunately, but it does show just how the procurement system works.

Page 54
Led by Supreme Grand Master Azrael, the Chapter had responded with a huge commitment of forces - almost half of the Chapter's battle brothers had been embarked for Vraks, with Azrael himself taking command. The battle barge Angel of Retribution powered into the Vraks system along with the strike cruisers Sword of Caliban and Salvation and a small fleet of escorts.
With 2 strike cruisers and half a chapter, that means that the battle barge is carrying 300 Astartes (100x2 for 200 SM's in strike cruisers, which is subtracted from 500.) Predictably, though, the Dark Angels were dicks and didn't cooperate with the Guard army. Not that I blame them (much) in this case, since I wouldnt want to have anything to do with the Kriegers either.

Page 54
He [Azrael] simply set about his self-assigned mission - the destruction of Vraks' star port, and therefore the severing of Vraks' easy access to off-planet reinforcements. He needed no assistance, and saw no reason to involve the Imperial Guard regiments engaged on Vraks.
Astartes acting independently of other forces or ot their own ends - thats what Dark Angels do best!

Page 54
Where an Imperial Guard regiment can take days to unload from orbit, it took the Dark Angels just a few hours.
Difference in deployment speeds, of course the Marines do it better.

To be fair, we do have a number of examples of the Guard doing it in a day or less too.

Page 54
Azrael had chosen his target for several reasons. The first was obvious. The star port was the easiest way for off-planet support to reach the defenders. Secondly, a new attack would force the defenders to commit forces agains ta new threat.

The Dark Angels could draw enemy troops into a new battle, and thus thin the lines, which would aid the 88th Siege army's attacks and help bring about the long awaited breakthrough. Thirdly, and this was a secret known only to the Dark Angels themselves, and was probably the most compelling reason for their quick response. There were Traitor Legionnaires on Vraks. Those traitors might have knowledge about the location of 'the Fallen'. Azrael had no hard proof that any Fallen were amongst the defenders new allies, but the inner circle of the Dark Angels knew the name Arkos well.
Arkos was the Alpha Legion leader helping the defenders. I have to admit here at least, Azrael's plans and goals actually *seem*to make sense and mesh reasonably well with the overall military situation rather than running roughshod on it. Let's hope I'm not jinxing things by giving someone in a IA book too much credit again, we know what happened last time.

Page 54
..Azrael and his Company Masters were manoeuvring into low orbit and deploying their powerful strike force...

His fleet achieved orbit otuside the defence laser coeverage, before releasing their cargoes of Thunderhawks ot enter the atmosphere and fly around the planet to the chosen landing Zone.
In low orbit and "outside defence laser coverage" although how far in low orbit we don't know.

Page 54
For the defender,s the arrival of a highly mobile Adeptus Astartes strike force created a strategic problem. The Space Marines could strike anywhere, anytime. They could simply over-fly the defence lines to strike directly at the citade itself.
Of course they wouldnt risk it with defences and garrison intact, which makes sense.

Of course it goes without saying that this book has now contradicted itself. If they could have gotten Space Marines all along (which supposedly they couldn't get for direct assault before hence the need for all that mathematical trench warfare crap).. why didnt they do this from the get go? Wouldn't this allow for the 'direct, overwhelming assault' idea to work out that they'd tossed out from the get go? GAH I hate this!

PAge 55
First they faced a 200 kilometre advance overland across the Srna flats. The armoured columns of Land Raiders, Predators, Rhinos, Vindicators and Whirlwinds were preceded by the Ravenwing's Land Speeders, skimming ahead, flying close to the ground to search for any enemy blocking the chosen route of advance. These Land speeder squadrons were in constant communication with the fleet of Thunderhawk gunships, which would now act as aerial cover to the advancing tanks, and provide a long range, firest strike capability should the enemy move against the columns.
Dark Angels had to cover this distance in vehicles. The "constant communication" bit was interesting and provided effective combined arms.

Page 55
The first of three Thunderhawks in the flight banked away, over-flying the eastern end of the mile-long causeway to deploy its assault squads. Leapign from the speeding gunship, the two assualt squads made a low level jump directly onto the eastern end.

The second and third Thunderhawks opened fire with missiles and turbo-lasers, blasting great hunks of masonry form the ancient monumental causeway and turnign the checkpoint bunkers into smoking rubble.

Orias' lightning airborne assault had captured the target in just a few minutes. He set to work rigging the demolition charges, whilst his devastator suqad dug in on the eastern end to cover any enemy approach from the west. Soon enemy vehicles were seen appraoching along the road, heading towards them in an attempt to reinforce the star port. The leading tank erupted into flames as a wellaimed lascannon shot tore through its front armour.
The causeway is stated to be a mile long.Assault squads and the devastators on the eastern end, anticipating attack from the west. This suggests the lascannon (and missile launchers as noted below) had ranges in excess of a mile against stated targets. This does fit in with other known sources for such heavy weapons.

PAge 55
The following Chimeras swerved to avoid the blazing wreck [Leman Russ tank] now blocking the road, only to find themselves under withering fire from Orlas' heavy weapons. Krak missiles and lascannon blasts turned each vehicle in the column into a smouldering wreck. In just a few minutes the area was littered with t he burning hulks of Leman Russes, Chimeras, Sentinels, and Basilisks.
Krak missiles and lascannon fire demolish the armoured forces.. again mostly chimeras and russes and sentinels, plus artillery. Very combined arms.

Page 56
Ravenwing outriders reported an enemy tnak column in sector 74-46 moving southwards from the star port.

The Land Raider's heavily armoured bulk smashed into the remaining enemy tanks, lascannons cutting throughthe Leman Russes and Chimeras as the enemy sought to withdraw to the relative safety of the star port.
The enemy seems to have alot of tanks and Chimeras, how many did the fucking Munitorum stockpile anyhow?

Page 56
.. but the star port continued to echo to the sound of Whirlwind missile impacts and the crash of the enemy artillery as it sort to return fire, although the Whirlind's mobility made counter-battery fire very difficult, because the lighter artillery was chanign position after each salvo.
benefits of the whirlwind artillery for the Space Marines.

Page 57
Day four of the battle began with Azrael again content to improve his positon and bomb the enemy into submission.

Thunderhawk transporters arrived to deliver fresh supply pods full of fresh ammunition an dfuel for his vehicles. His men had been fighting for three days without ceasing, but their power armour was sustaining them and would continue to for a long tme yet.
- Dark Angels Space MArines can fight for about three days without resupply, it is implied.

Page 57
At the height of the battle Azrael's Land Raider was hit by a lascannon blast that tore off a weapon's sponson. The resulting detonation of heavy bolter ammunition disabled the tracks and immobilised Angelis Imperator
Land Raider immobilized by lascannon shot plus detonation of bolter ammo (several thousand rounds up to)

PAge 58
Their suprem Grand Master was recovering from wounds and Sacred Standard Bearer Anmael had been killed, as had almost two hundred more battle brothers, all of who would need replacing back on Caliban.
- the Dark Angels had lost 200 Space MArines in assaulting the spaceport. about 40% casualties.

Page 67
Heavy bolter armed Tarantula sentry gun. These were deployed on the front line to cover the approach across no-man's land.
Sentry guns as well as cyclops. On both sides.

Page 67
Destroyer tank hunter. although rare vehicles, Vraks' stores contained a few of these.
Something like a dozen I recall.

Page 68
but Lord Zuehkle was running out of time, he had been given twelve years to complete his mission and the resources of Krieg had poured onto Vraks in vast quantities.
Remember how this guy expected victory to be assured? YEah well.. not so much now. Surprises have a way of doing that to battle plans. You would think that history would teach them that 'Chaos is not logical or predictable, nor are Chaos troopers.' You know, plan for outside help and shit....

You know it's also pretty hilarious how they set a 'deadline' for this conflict and gave him a fixed amount of resources. Like he was a contractor or agent or some sort of fucking employee. You can just hear the Munitorum use the phrase 'we expect you to bring results - under budget' or something else retarded.

Page 68
As lightning storms crackled overhead, and the orange jet of flames from unceasing bobardment lit the Van Meersland Wastes, a force of over two million infantry men was now ready to attack.
Millions of casualties so far, plus 2 million more infantry committed to assault.

Page 72
The Commissars amongst the assault squads demanded that the men stand firm and push on, summarily executing the first men to take any steps backwards. In return, several commissars were shot out of hand by their own side as the shredded assualt companies scurried back to the safety of their own trenches. At the parapet they were met by the second wave, moving forwards to bein their own advance. It was pandemomnium as the advancing and reteating units collided..

After only a couple of hours the 158th regiment's attack had disintegrated into a shambles. For the regiment's abject failure, its colonel and his staff would be arrested and eventually executed. The regiment was then disbanded by the 88th army's commissars. All the survivors woudl be sentenced to serve amongst the penal legions.
We see for all the fanatacism and willingness to die, the Kriegers are sitll just human. Tougher to break, more willing to die and more resolved and indoctrinated than other Guardsmen (Save perhaps Commissars and storm troopers), but still with breaking points. Not the first time either. They can mutiny, and they can retreat.

On the other hand this could just be Imperial Armour simply forgetting what it said earlier and going with something completely different for 'thematically appropriate' reasons. I mean it wouldnt surprise me if they decided the Kriegers had to break because it fit with the plot.

Furthermore, in Chapter Approved we've had fluff of Krieg guardsmen walking into the face of a daemonic assault without flinching too, so.. it can vary I imagine. These ARE fairly new troops of course, and vets can be diffrent. And never mind Dead Men Walking...

Take note of the punishments for "failure" (To the penal legions!)

Page 73
In sector 56-50 Lieutenant Kada's men, 8th platoon, 14th company, 158th regiment, had achieved just such a gain. He had set out as part of the second wave with a full strength platoon of sixty men under his command. Crossing no-man's land under fire it had been reduced to thirty three men..
sixty men in a platoon. This means 10 platoons per company. Which is odd since they said 9 platoons of 600 men was a company....

In any event the darn platoon takes nearly 50% casualties.

Page 73
Urgently needing reinforcements the lieutenant and his aide set off back into no-man's land to recover a vox-caster. Leaping from shell hole to shell hole he found his vox-caster operator's body and pulled the device off his back.
The Krieg troopers don't seem to have micro-beads, but then again they're trying to contact higher command and micro beads dont always have range and sophisticaiton for that.

Page 73
Across no-man's land came a squadron of Centaur carriers, bouncing along, each carrying a squad of heavily armed grenadiers. With heavy stubbers laying down a suppressing fire, the grenadiers disembarked into the trench...
While I'm tempted to say a full squad of ten, the fact is grenadier squads can be as few as five, which is probably what this means. Unless it also refers to carrying dismounted infantry (5 in the crew compartment, one manning the gun/heavy weapon, and 4 riding on the outside perhaps.)

Page 73
- just to summarize.. more attritional trench warfare, more massive casualties. Several colonels want the offensive to be scaled back or called off, the high command and Zuekhle's won't hold back. Funny how they'll not 'hold back' in certain ways, but they DID hold back just enough to not bring their effective shit to bare until the tail end of the fucking book.

Page 73
Behind them [tanks] followed the massive Gorgon trnasports, these land leviathans were each packed with a platoon of fifty men, ready to disembark and charge the enemy's positions.

AGain, one wonders why they waited to use these things until now.

Also note that platoons now have fifty men. Damn book can't even keep its organizational tables straight at this point. And we have two more books to go. Be afraid.

Page 73
Executing a renewed counter-attack, equipment, formerly hidden away in a deep store house, was now pouring forth to meet 11th assault korps. Leman Russes, Chimeras, new Basilisks, Medusas even a squadorn of twelve Destroyer tank hunters had been ordered to attack.
Yet again I have to marvel at just how many fucking vehicles were stockpiled on Vraks. The supply of vehicles seems both diverse and endless. And yet lasguns and body armour are in short supply....

Page 74
The slight gains and prospective breakthroughs of the first three days could not be given up. It seemed the 88th army was intent on battering itself to destruction on the second defence lines. One regimental commander commented that High Command seemed to think the best way of smashing down a wall was by headbutting it.

The new regiments of 46th line korps had been bloodied in battle. In the case of the 469th regiment they had been slaughtered, but they had also made good progress. The whole of the 88th army was now committed, its only reserves were those re-constituted companies that had been formed from the survivors and stragglers left by day one.
It's nice to note that not everyone is in favor of the mindless "attritional warfare straight at them" approach all the time, even amongst Krieg. Of course, noone actually in command of the conflict listens, because this is IA and we have 2 more books to cover so the war can't end soon.

Also note, no reserves available anymore.

Page 74
Companies had been reduced ot the size of platoons, platoons to the size of squads.
Suggests something on the order of 80-90% casualties.

Page 74
Ten feet tall and built of ra muscle, the enraged Ogryn emerged from its trench to deal the surprised colonel a smashing blow with the sledge hammer it was wielding as a weapon. The Colonel's broken body flew six metres through the air his ribcage shattered. The crazd beast charged on through a hail of lasgun shots, roaring and battering a path forward before the blast of a well-aimed grenade launcher's krak grenade blew the creature apart.
And.. the Ogryn make their apperance, full of combat drugs and ready to SMASH (SURPRISE KRIEGERS). Note the height (2ft taler than a Space Marine) and able to send a human male six metres (implying considerable strength and momentum, unsrurpsiingly) Also unsurprisingly, lasguns do fuck all to them.

Oddly, a krak grenade blows them apart, despite a krak grenade being designed to focus explosions, which you would think just would punch a hole through them. Considering Ogryn probably mass hundreds of kilos easily (as much or more than Orks), it would take many times the equivalent of a RL grenade or stick of dynamite I'd expect to blow one apart.

PAge 75
Years of blood and slaughter equal to the worst warzones anywhere in the Imperium. Over four million guardsmen had already been sacrificed on Vraks, but it seemed that now the ultimate victory was within grasp.
Four million deaths amongst the Krieg so far. What was that about some guy saying that high command seems to think beating your head against a wall was the way to go?

Page 75
And now the Citadel of Vraks was within the range of the Earthshaker cannons
within 15 km of course.

Page 76
A stormblade's plasma blastugn proved useful against hardened enemy bunkers.
Given its a titan grade weapon.. big shock there.

Also.. where the fuck were the superheavy tanks like this? wouldn't they have been useful for blasting holes in the enemy lines? I mean fuck we know from 'Gunheads' a single Shadowsword was able to blow apart a massive Titan-sized armoured gate in Ork fortifcations...

GAH.

Page 76
The wilderness of ruined cities that span this blasted and poison-choked world point to Krieg once having bene a thriving hive-world, a trading and manufacturing centre populated by billions. The rulers of this world - the council of Autocrats, bloated with welath and corrupt with indolence, petty vendetta and vice became increasingly insular and debauched. The Autocrats paranoia over outside threat that could shatter their dictatorial rule caused them to plough vast resources in strengthening the defences of their hive cities, building private armies and futher surrounding their world with an outward facing ring of steal. Worse, the Autocrats grew to resent the influence of the Adminitratum on 'their' world and in particular the heavy tithes levied on them by the Departmento Munitourm, taking reosurces they protested were vital to their own defence.

Pre-apocalypse, pre-Heresy Krieg. Hive world that turns death world. THEMATICALLY APPROPRIATE.

Page 86
[qote]
Ater the rebels initial attacks only Hive Ferrograd remained under loyalist control, because the Krieg 83rd Imperial Guard regiment, under Colonel Jurten, was in the final stages of being mustred at Ferrograd.

but the situation for the loyalists was dire; the rebel forces numbered in the millions and Ferrograd was soon cut-off and besieged. To make matters worse; the loyalists were on their own; the planetary defences were under the traitor's control, and strong enough that a full-scale fleet actio would be required to breach them. Jurten had been informed in no uncertain terms that a fleet powerful enough to invade Krieg was simply not available.[/quote]

The rebels had a PDF "millions" strong from a "billions" population, and defences that would require a full fleet to breach (suggesting similar scale or greater than Vraks's)

Page 86
..Jurten came to the fateful decision that the world of Krieg would belong to the Emperor or it would belong to no one.

Deep below Hive Ferrograd was a secret Adeptus Mechanicus storage facility, and Colonel Jurten, with his loyal ADeptus Mechanicus ally, Archmagos Greel, moved to unlock the facilitiy and unleash the forbidden and ancient weapons within.
"forbidden and ancient weapons".. we know whats coming next.

Page 86
Scores of long-range missiles roared forth from the heart of Ferrograd. The traitors helplessly watched their augurs as Jurten's rockets arced high into the planet's stratosphere before detonating in blooms of blinding light, and unleashing tonnes of lethal isotopes which blanketed the entire world in deadly fallout. For days the atmosphere became a sea of nuclear fire. Under Jurten's attack the planet's eco-system failed. The air was poisonedand Krieg's climate collapsed into storms that spanned continents. The raging fires blocked out the sun and a nuclear winter engulfed Krieg. As a result untold billions died. Those who did not perish took to their fallout shelters and began a new subterranean existence. To future generatiosn who would live with the terrible consequences of the atomic attack, Jurten's plan would become known as the 'Purging'.
The 'Purging'. 'scores' of missiles destroy the ecosystem and basically render the planet uninhabitable. I'd wonder at just how BIG a yield would be needed to scatter radioactives across an entire planetary surface

Interesting quandry - its not an immediate and completley fatal 'mass extinction' event, but there are significant global firestorms (or at least widespread) firestorms going on, and those 'continent spanning' storms can devastate hives as well. That would tend to suggest at least gigatons if not teratons of enregy being unleashed in total, but probably not the full 'billion megaton' o threshold. Having 'scores' of missiles unleashing this levle of destruction suggests the warheads were high megaton to low gigaton at the very least, and more probably well into the gigaton range. Possibly something akin to the old 'Spce Hulk' nukes (which some pretend are no longer valid.. :lol:)

If we used the Castle Bravo example as a rough idea we might figure 10,000 15 MT detontaions or equivalent might occur (although with 'scores' the yields would have to be bigger to propel the devastation further, so this is probably conservative) which should at least suggest single digit GT if the assumptions held.

And if that didn't complicate matters there is another depiction in the Apocalypse sources. In these books its a slightly different story - its not just missiles fired, but shells as well from macro cannons, which may have contributed to the devastation (The context doesn't suggest it did significantly - the atomic shells just devastated the forces surrounding the hive, but it can't be ruled out either.)

Page 86
To the Imperial authorities Krieg has a prize no longer worth saving, its fate a red mark in the ledgers of the Administratum. Krieg became a man-made death-world, trapped in teh freezing grip of a radioactive nuclear winter. The war between secessionist and loyalist devolved into a pitiliess, bloody war of attrition across a planet where every inch of ground grew to be littered with trnech work, rusting razorwire and shell crater..

It is doubtful that the full truth of those long and terrible centuries of civil war will ever be known.
Krieg gets written off, yet the Imperium still has a million worlds, and the war grinds on over the centruies. Grimdark. Note this is yet another case where a world gets 'cast out' from the Imperium once it no longer has value, silly as that sounds (EG Mortal Fuel story from Planetkill.)

Also this makes Kriegers officially 'Death Worlders'. Although of the retarded variety rather than the 'Space Rambo' wanked up Catachan variety.

Page 86
...the descendants of those that followed him lived on, and became as fearless as they were callous. War was all they would ever know,a nd they were raised from brith to fight. The men that advanced great-coated and vapour-masked through the rad-wastes and blasted cities became known as the Death Korps. They existed only to endure the hellish planetary surface, in order to do their duty and to kill in the Emperor's name. Through fifteen generations of terrible bloody attrition, the loyalists slowly re took their blasted world in the name of the Emperor, trench-by-trench and tunnel-by-tunnel - with bayonet, brutallity, and when needed, atomic fire. After more than five hundred years of the most nightmarish warfare imaginable and an incalculable price paid in human life and suffering, Krieg belonged to the Death Korps.
They continue to nuke the planet, adding other wepaons (chemical and other) while refining their attrition trench-warfare tactics. This probably threw the planet even furhter into unsalvagability and has hampered any rehabilitation (if any is possible.. the Imperium tends to have an inconsistent approach to terraforming and such).

Page 87
When Krieg was officially returned ot the Imperial fold in 949.M40, the event was greeted with little fanfare or regard, the grinding leviathan of Departmento Munitorum however took note; Krieg was in arrears, so a new tithe of men for the Imperial Guard was placed upon them. The Adepts [Munitorum] were surprised when the Krieg authorities offered them not one but twenty regiments for immediate deployment, all formed, trained and equipped, and each commander requested the most hazardous war zones available.
20 regiments at between 40K to 100K men (40K causalties for a regiment mentioned earlier, 100K being an upper limit for "tens of thosuands" of troopers in a Krieg regiment mentioend elsehwere) is 800,0000-2 million men approx. Assuming this is 10% of the PDF, Krieg's PDF would be between 8 million and 20 million (approximately.)

Given that they committed something like millions of troops to VRaks alone, this seems like an underestimate. Given 5th edition annaul tithing, it seems even more conservative.

Page 87
Beneath's Krieg's blasted exterior entire subterranean cities had been founded, tens of thousands of miles of bunkers and passageways dug, and a vast underworld of industry and manufacture geared specifically to the production of arms and equipment, but most of all to the production of soldiers, soldiers who proved to be implacable as the factory lines that armed them and as pitliess as their blasted radioactive world.
Like many worlds (Valhalla, Tallarn, etc.) Krieg is basically a subeterranean hive world.

PAge 87
Their deployment proved an immediate success, (despite the misgivings of some of the regiments they served alongside). Partiuclarily they proved superior to other reigments in war zones that mirrored the horrific state of Krieg itself; rad wastes, toxin zones and polluted ash worlds. Imperial generals quickly learned that deploying the Death Korps on such worlds [worlds like Krieg], stalemates could be broken and advance s achieved that otherwise would have required the massive expenditure of penal legion troops or the use of valuable elite forces such as the Adeptus Astartes.
Krieg are, in their own way, specialists, and seem to have their niche in conserving expendable troops (penal legionnaires) or using rare ones like Space Marines. Oh and trench warfare, can't forget that.

Whether or not this is an actual niche or something they serve is another matter. If it is this just goes to show how horribly mismanaged Vraks must be.

Page 87
Krieg was taken directly under the authority of the Departmento Munitorum and an Adeptus Mechanicus delegation arrived to review the planet's production techniques. The maximum tithe levels were enforced. Krieg's sole purpose was to turn out Death Korps soldiers as another world mght mine ore or sow wheat. By the direct order of the Lords of Terra nothing was to be allowed ot interefere with this purpose. This has resulted in suspect practices being tolerated - some, such as the eugenic policies designed to weed out mutants caused by Krieg's damaged biosphere, universal conscription, etc. are continuations of Krieg's centuries of civil war. But otehrs such as the enforced use of "Vitae-Womb" birthing techniques are little known outside of the Adeptus Biologis and are seen as dangerous and abhorrent by many ADeptus Mechancius Biologis.

As Krieg stands today it is a true war-world, its tithes are the maximum possible for the planet's population, raising tens of regiments every year where a comparable sized world might be expected to tithe one regiment every decade. The rate of attrition and destruction among these regiments is likewise disproportionately high, as they are assigned to some of the most hazardous battlefields and dangerous worlds known to Man.
I can't really help but look at this, and all the other stuff hinted at about the Krieg and the "vitae womb" bit and think that Krieg are somehow cloned or similar (in-vitro? something like Kamino or such) to mass produce expendable meat droid troops. (Cloning is also consideed a "black technology" I might add.) That said nothing is ever clarified so the 'clone' angle is entirely speculative. It might simply be 'test tube' births. Or maybe they're girmdark servitor wombs (I've heard some refer to this as another ripoff from Dune (Axlotl tanks).

Tens of regiments every year would suggest (at 100,000 troops in a siege regiment) 2 to 10 million trooops annualy. To be honest, thats rather low given 5th edition stuff, so its probably not meant to be aken literally. Nevermind the casualty rates (again see commitment to Vraks.)

Page 87
But despite their service records, Krieg units are not well liked by their fellow Imperial Guard commanders. But in the grim darkness and strife at the end of the 41st millenium, the Imperium of Man has dire need of these men, and the use and number of Krieg Death Korps regiments is rising, as are the resourcese being devoted to their creation.
This would tend ot suggest Krieg doctrine and tactics are not considered "typical" in the Guard (nort neccesarily rare either, but the point being tht they have a variety of different tactics and doctrines applying, which may include WW1 style trench warfare, or something else.) This matches the 'Epic' depiction of siege regiments more or less, which is probably where Forge World borrowed from heavily.

Note that 'siege regiments' of this nature, and the general wastefulness therein, pretty much mocks the idea that technology is rare and precious and more important than human life - at most they're both regarded the same - something there to be used when needed.

Page 87
While the harsh training methods, doctrines, and organisation of the Death Korps regiments are not in themselves unique among the Imperial Guard, they are both unorthodox and extreme in their application.
Again, taken with the above about Krieg methods and approaches to warfare earning dislike from the rest of the guard, the fact Krieg troops (and siege regiments in general) are specialists in this style of warfare, and other factors... the idea that the Imperial guard AS A WHOLE is exclusively stuck in WW1/WW2 style tactics is.. debatable. They aren't. They have a wide variety of tactics (which may be very good or very bad or in between.. it can't be easily generalized, sadly.)

Indeed the problem isn't so much that they're stuck on one standard of warfare (despite what some people generalize) its that they have no standards at all, and this bites them in the ass (organizational problems, politics, etc.)

Again this isn't to imply any competence or otehr standards (EG warfare in the Ghosts novels, Bastion wars, they use tons of vehicles, etc.) It's just to point out how utterly, utterly variable and open ended it is.

Page 87
Tested, selected, and relentlessly trained almost from birth for their appointed role as guardsmen, rates of fatality and injury during training are high. Fear and weakness are not tolerated, and the minds and characters of young prospective guardsmen are purposefully broken and remade stronger, just as their bodies are trained to withstand hardship and endure suffering that would kill others- a task already begun by the mere facts of life on blighted Krieg itself.
But this makes better soldiers! GRIMDARK! All they left out was the 'heavy gravity' training and Spartanesque 'from birth' stuff. :P Then again that's cadians. :lol:

Page 87
Krieg is as deadly in its own way as any world known to Man; no part of its war-blasted wasteland has ever been reclaimed, ,the surface stands as a testament to their long struggle. It is a barren desert of smashed cities, ash wastes, rad-zones and fallout driven storms.
Only those that endure are judged fit enough to take their place as members of the Death Korps.
Its not just a hive world, its a Death World!

Page 87
During its great war, if Krieg's society was to survive it could not afford to sustain its weakest members - sacrifices had to be made and no sacrifice was too high a price to pay in the Emperor's service. This mindset continues to this day and it permeats every aspect of the Death Korps combat doctrine and organisation.

The character of the Krieg soldier is a legacy of its civil war. Their tactical doctrine was also created by the war. Having been raised only to fight, and having known nothing but war, generations of fighting men came to see death in the name of the Emperor as their ultimate goal. This attitude remains today - Krieg guardsmen are willign to die, as a sacrifice to the Emperor.

To the departmento Munitorum, a Krieg soldier is a weapon to be used and expended as needed. To the Krieg commanders, battles are won by the merciless application of overwhelming force. Their doctrine dictates that any battle where their capacity to fight and willingness to die exceeds that of their enemy is a battle already one - everything else is merely a matter of time and attrition. faith in the Emperor is instilled in the soldier from an early age. These established patterns of worship serve to amplify the culture of willing sacrifice and militancy among the Krieg, and have become known as the 'Cult of Sacrifice' amongst the Ecclesiarchy.
More grimdark, more Krieg doctrine, and we see that the Munitorum indeed favors the Kriegsman for their atittude (it so fits the way they like to think of the Guard in general, even if the Guard does not like thinking the way the Munitorum does.)

As noted, the main 'value' for Krieg is that they basically will do as their told and carry out their orders to the letter with almost no questions or doubts or anything like that. They're the perfect soldiers from the munitorum's point of view (not like regular soldiers who have annoying flaws like self preservation or independence of thought..)

Page 87
The form and composition of these [frrequently raised Krieg] regiments will differ according to the edicts of the Departmento Munitorum and the strategic needs of the moment. Krieg supplies the manpower, the Departmento Munitorum organises that manpower in various different types of regiment. Infantry regiments, mecahnised infantry and tank regiments are all known, but by far the most common use of Krieg's manpower is as siege regiments.
Variations in Krieg regimental raisings. Part of me wants to say that the 'variations' in how Krieg are depicted (Vraks example versus, for example, Warriors of Ultramar) stems from this. Also note that Mechanised, infantry, and tank regiments differ from siege regiments - quite psosibly in mentality as well as equipment.

Page 87
In these formations the Death Korps philosohpy of total war reaches its ultimate expression; these siege regiments operate on the principle of sustained artillery bombardmens followed by a massive and unrelenting infantry assault, conducted to destroy the enemy by pure attrition.

Regardless of their assigned role, they [regiments] retain their Death Korps strengths of discipline, endurance, expertise in trench warfare and most notably their tolerance for high attritionr ates and enviromentally hazardous warzones.
More on Krieg and their trench warfare and WMD fixation. 'Attrition' gets mentioned about as oftne for Krieg as 'Dynamic' does for the tau. Again the value of this statement is up for debate.

Page 88
Casualty rates amongst grenadiers are very high, and although service in the heavy infantry is regarded as a privilege, it is also seen as a duty.

Statistically, eight out of ten grenadiers are killed in action. The men behind the skull masks are already dead.
Actually considering some of the warfare in VRaks, 80% casualty rates amongst Grenadiers doesnt seem proportionally bad.

Page 88
Grenadiers wear distinctive heavy carapace armour. This comprises of the Mark IX Helmet, rebreather facemask, three-piece shoulder guards, chest plate with additional abdomen plates and shin and knee guards. All are made of plasteel reinforced with a ceramite layer for additional strength, heat resistance and weight reduction. This armour is very cumbersome, and whilst the extra protection it provides is welcomed by the grenadiers, soldiers often find it neccessary to discard some parts of the armour during lengthy operations.

The helmet is a standard Mark IX helmet, but has a front plate attached, with the Imperial Eagle embossed to show loyalty.
Like any grenadier, they have carapace, although it seems to optimize towards chest plates more than anything. The combination of ceramite/plasteel seems to suggest a composite, both for kinetic resistance and good thermal resistance. Not meant for extened operation though (especially on foot)

something tells me also that given their attrition warfare focus the stuff may be meant to be mass produced for quantity rather than quality. Oh and like all IG armour in a Forge world book its heavy so troops tend to discard it when they can.

PAge 88
The standard armament of the grenadier squads is the type XIV lasgun (heavy), referred to by troops as the "hellgun" or more rarely "hotshot" lasgun. In effect this is an overpowered lasgun, firing in the 28 megathule range and incorporating many additional features. The weapon's powerpack is worn as a backpack, and the power cables run to the weapon's rapid discharge generator, which forms the weapon's main mechanism, where energy for each shot is stored. The heavy powerpack supplies enough pwoer to keep the weapon firing for up to two hundred shots, depending upon the power setting and the weapon's condition.
Hellguns here are mentioned as also being "hotshot" lasguns and "heavy" lasguns. "megathule" is meaningless again (but if we divide 28 MJ by 200 shots - 140 kj per shot, actually weaker than the 21 MT lasgun the normal troop suse per shot. Like I said, megathule calcs dont always help.)

200 shots. I suppose if we divided 28 MT by 21 MT it would suggest the hellgun is 30% more powerful. Which again is still conjecture.

As we know sa well, hotshot packs vary dramatically from backpack mounts (like this and form 2nd edition and now in 5th) to power pack sized ones which can have a single shot (but be rechargable easily) up to 20 shots (and less easily recharged.)

Page 88
Hellguns require a lot of maintenance, and have a reputation as being unreliable in the field. The weapon's power couplings quickly become worn, and this leads to variations in shot power. The quick recharge generator is placed under massive stress by the increased power load passing through it, especially during automatic fire, and without good maintenance, the weapon's rate of fire will start to drop off. The overpowered shot generates alot of excess heat, placing the barrel under stress. The heat from repeated firing can cause the barrel to warp, making shots wildly inaccurate. This is compensated for by the bulky barrel-cooling shroud, inside which are coils of heat exchange pipes, inside which are pressurized refrigerant chemicals which flow around the barrel in a regenerating cycle (The same chemical is constantly reused.) Between firing this can make the barrel shroud freezing to the touch, so a foregrip is included. Even this refridgeration system does not always prevent overheating during automatic fire, and there is a safety cut-off which prevents further firing until the temperature falls to withins afe limits.
More Hellgun features. Unlike normal Krieg lasrifles, this one seems to have autofire, Like long-las, the increased power per shot strains the barrel. This needs an extensive cooling system (suggesting again use of radiators as well as coolant, which is reused rather than ejected. Some lasgusn do eject it though.) Hellguns can overheat, however.

This tends to make a hellgun seem to be more like a SAW or LMG in alot of respects (the novel Blood PAct also has a heavy lasgun that behaves alot like a machine gun as well.)

Given the cooling system it would imply lasguns are tremendously efficient weapons (at least unrealistically efficient.)

Page 88
The weapon includes an advanced sight - this si a sophisticated piece of equipment, incorporating x4 magnification and a low-light infra-scrope. This detects a target's heat signature, allowing more accurate targeting in darkness or even through some barriers. The careful calibrations required to keep the sight functioning mean that they are often disabled on the battlefield.[

Another drawback of the weapon is its large muzzle flash on firing, giving away the fireer's position.

Hellguns are not well liked by the troops, most prefer the standard lasgun, but regulations require grenadiers to carry them, and the weapons adiditonal impact and damage is seen as compensation for all the weapon's faults.
Hellgun sight. Sophisticated but finicky. If its disabled why do they keep bothering to add it? an infraread capability in darkness and through barriers (similar to the monocle engineer troops get in IA6) Again they give this to high-attrition SIEGE regiments so its clearly rare and precious tech.... blah blah.

Page 88
Because of their extra armour, grenadiers cannot wear the standard regulator unit. Instead they wear the type V, where the regulator unit is inside a cannister that is worn on the back. This unit serves the exact same purpose as the standard type, and contains the same filters and antidoes. Again the entire respirator is an over-pressured system.

Although the hellgun does not have a bayonet lug, the grenadier still carries a bayonet, for hand-to-hand combat.
Grenadiers get a specialized rebreather, and hellguns lack bayonet lugs. This makes them inherently less effective at trench warfare, I suppose.
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Connor MacLeod wrote:PAge 58
Their suprem Grand Master was recovering from wounds and Sacred Standard Bearer Anmael had been killed, as had almost two hundred more battle brothers, all of who would need replacing back on Caliban.
- the Dark Angels had lost 200 Space MArines in assaulting the spaceport. about 40% casualties.
I'd just like to comment on how ridiculous this is. 200 dead, by Space Marine standards, is enormous casualties, and to incur them for no particular result (sure, they wrecked Vraks spaceport, but as we'll see when Connor gets to IA 6, that turns out to've been a waste of time and munitions, 'cause the Vraksian rebels didn't need it to get reinforcements from off-world) tends to result in the commander responsible being either executed or thrown out on his arse. Hell, the Blood Angels threw Captain Leonatos (protagonist of the Bloodquest comic; also one of the youngest & most highly decorated BA Captains) out for incurring that level of casualties, and he actually won. And yet the Dark Angels just brush it off (and it's implied that Arkos's Alpha Legionnaires didn't take commensurate casualties - implied because we get to see shit-all of the actual battle, instead focussing on jobbing Azrael to big up Arkos).

Also, note the statement of Caliban being intact & the DAs' main recruiting world. Nice job paying attention to the background there guys.
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

Connor MacLeod wrote: I can't really help but look at this, and all the other stuff hinted at about the Krieg and the "vitae womb" bit and think that Krieg are somehow cloned or similar (in-vitro? something like Kamino or such) to mass produce expendable meat droid troops. (Cloning is also consideed a "black technology" I might add.) That said nothing is ever clarified so the 'clone' angle is entirely speculative. It might simply be 'test tube' births. Or maybe they're girmdark servitor wombs (I've heard some refer to this as another ripoff from Dune (Axlotl tanks).
Some info on cloning appears in the 'Red and Black' audio drama .
Spoiler
The technology is found to exist on the lost colony of Hollos, where 'replicae' rose to become the equals of normal humans (and devout worshippers of the Emperor) due to their Warp Storm isolation. Imperial Theology regards clones as being less than human, as only the God-Emperor has the 'divine right' to create new life, existing only to serve specific roles. The Hollos replicae were created for war, with the curious feature of red skin (possibly for identification).

The replicant 'Rho', who piloted the ship launched to make contact with the Imperium after the warp storms receded, appears to be a baseline human, is a devout worshipper of the God-Emperor, and is also a pacifist (to the point where she will die and allow others to die rather than engage in any violent act). Most of the Hollos replicae are like her, apart from a violent minority called 'the red' whom Rho and her fellows regard as dangerous atavists, horrific reminders of their previous natures. It turns out they are actually normal replicae (aka, made as they were intended), and that Rho and her fellows are pacifistic due to having been created without a certain neuro-chemical. It is implied that the pacifist replicae owe their 'humanity' to this mutation, and that standard replicae are capable only of fighting.

On this basis, it wouldn't surprise me if the Kriegers were indeed clone-soldiers.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

well its possible. Cloning despite being a 'black' technology seems fairly accessible enough - we know that Fabius Bile can easily create clone armies for the right 'bidder', and he mainly seems to rely on Imperial tech he can steal or acquire to do his work.

Also, we know they vat grow bodies for servitors and similar purposes (up to and including organ replacement.) so it's not a big leap to creating artificial soldiers. There's also various 'super soldier' projects discussed like the Afriel strain and gland warriors, both of which IIRC qualify as abhuman.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Connor MacLeod wrote:Well now I get around to posting part two of the Siege of Vraks.. actually I'll do two updates, this is just part one. I guess after that last discussion I was being too polite to siege of Vraks: It's as fundamentally retarded as Taros campaign was, and as retarded as IA8 will be, just a different version of retarded. In retrospect that makes some sense. Whilst I dont quite buy into Sea Skimmer's idea of 'super huge antigrav vehicles' or things like that, I'm not sure its neccessary to have something like that. They have heavily armed and armoured IG drop ships (guns and missiles) which could do that.
Then you really just don’t get how much about warfare is about gaining key terrain for observation and fire. A big anti gravity ship throws those concepts out the window and opens up a whole new world of fighting. Let me know if you ever hear about someone complaining about having too many helicopters in real life...

Ultimately - like Taros - this is a war fought by the bureacrats and penny pinchers, and it goes against normal procedure (at least as normal as things usually get for the Guard and Munitorum) - which means they expend alot of time and effort to conduct a long distance campaign retardedly, getting fucked in the ass in the process. Ugh.
Penny pinchers who approve a 12 year plan? Yeah, that isn’t penny pinching, its just completely retarded. All the more so since your quote now show this place wasn’t actually any more remote then some pacific battlefields were for the US

The scope of the "preparations" include not only massive stockpiling and supply runs, but also the installation of a rail line. Kinda neat that they can just throw a rail system up anywhere they want, time consuming as it may be but... oh well.
Sieges and WW1 relied on tactical railroads which could be laid very very quickly, though this sounds like just putting the effort into building a regular line. Pretty retarded to go that much effort to supply a siege from a thousand miles away from only one direction.

a whole day to cover some 1600 km for an average speed of some 67 kph. Is this impressive for trains? I dont know.
For a proper heavy rail line built by a half million men with only a single purpose it is about what you would expect from a modern freight line. On the plus side at least a half a million workers really could build something like that in under a year; tunnels permitting. Too bad they don’t give a rational reason why they need to have a supply depot 1000 miles to the rear.

I guess they needed some way to slow the advance down even farther and give Chaos a chance to get their shit together. Concentrating or spreading the forces out, the killbox they'll face is the same, but the momentum they can put on it is greater the more concentrated they are. Is it really possible the enemy can mobilize and shift forces faster than the 'Krieg can? I suppose that's possible, given they're on the inside of the circle and the Krieg are on the outside.
The defender should be able to shift faster for counter attacks, but every time his forces shift is exactly what you should want because it exposes them to gunfire more then sitting in holes and bunkers. WW1 battles tended to end up with attacker and defender having similar losses for this reason. If the defender didn’t move and enjoyed total protection, he’d simply be defeated in detail. If he did move, he’s exposed like the attacker and its all the same.

Range finder surveyors and scanners. I guess this is not totally WW1 era in all respects. I'm guessing thats for the artillery stuff, which is pretty neat at least.
Well, unless the rangefinders are optical bars and the scanners consist of a guy with a hand over his brow.

The Defenders seem to have emplaced self propelled artilley as well as the fixed emplacements (makes sense.) REcoil of these demolisher cannons is such that it imparts considerable backwards momentum to the chassis, rather consistent iwth (approximtely) a 38 kg shell fired at 814 m/s (31,000 kg*m/s worth of momentum, would propel the tank back at nearly 1 m/s) The Basilisks in Storm of Iron were similar.
I don’t know about your math, but you know the mass of the vehicle generates rather high friction on the ground. The ballistic performance described is pretty similar to a US 155mm M1 Long Tom, which was about 28,000lb in action. It just sat on the ground and worked great. Actual backwards movement of any artillery piece is dependent on the angle of fire.

15 km or so seesm to be defined as "extreme range" for precise hits (eg low chance of them) also note the use of charge bags rather than a whole shell, despite the fact some of the models and drawings show an entire, intact shell+ casing being loaded.
You can have bagged charges that go into a semi fixed case, unless its explicitly bagged only.

More on the killtastic and upgraded defences of Vraks. Note how they have their weaponry (especialyl the heavy weapons providing interlocked killing fields and an overall "five miles deep" defence line. Lots of room to work in and kill Kriegers in.
5 miles isn’t shallow, but then it’s nothing that deep either for combat in WW2. Deeper side of WW1.

The attack was made by the 149th regiment, with support from the 143rd and 150th regiment, and the 11th assault korps (behind) Half a million men total in 4 regiments, suggests regiment sizes on the order of oh.. 100k or so. Which would make a bit of sense considering the later mentioned casualties, size of platoons and companies, and whatnot.
Using half a million men for a probe, hilarious writing.

The artillery setup, involving some four million artillery shells from mortar bombs to bombard shells, even with small amounts of TNT (a few kg per shell) we're talking kilotons of HE ordnance spread over the bombardment. How long it takes to deliver that... is another question.
2,500 weapons firing 250 rounds a day they could deliver that in under a week; it was more or less done in WW1, if they have good enough tubes and recoil systems it wouldn’t be impossible to fire 4 million rounds in just the two days if they had somewhat more tubes. Mortars in particular could put out massive volumes of fire if you had a way to stop them from overheating. Most accounts of WW1 and WW2 barrages don’t include infantry mortar projectiles.

One could almost be fighting a war with munitorum clerks - OH WAIT THEY ARE. No wonder the Munitorum/Adminstiratum love the Krieg.
Nothing is wrong with battlefield salvage, all the more so to keep the defenders from salvaging it in a siege situation.

Half a mile of tunnels, underground. A well prepared defence I suppose.
Maginot forts had longer tunnels in many cases. Depth is a more useful indication of resistance then length however; since you’d need many miles of tunnel to actually put the entryway out of range of a useful portion of enemy firepower.
Assuming the door is ~1.8 meters tall, .4 meters wide, and about 3 cm thick... call it between 100-200 kg since its not a precise calc. maybe 100-200 MJ over an unspecified time to melt. Call it double or triple digit MW as an Order of magnitude calc.
Or you could just interpret the quote to mean chunks of metal with melted edges were present, which is considerably more likely way for the door to fail but whatever.

at least eighty thousand men in the regiment, and this implies that it was the bulk of the regiment.. which substantiates the possibel idea that a Krieg (siege) regiment numbers 100,000 or so.
So a company is 600 men, and a regiment is 100,000… so a logically than a battalion of ten companies would be 6,000 men, ten battalions in a regiment would be 60,000 and the rest are support troops or attachments. This actually would be at least internally consistent, even if it’s really slanted vs. the formation sizes those terms ever meant in real life.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
So a company is 600 men, and a regiment is 100,000… so a logically than a battalion of ten companies would be 6,000 men, ten battalions in a regiment would be 60,000 and the rest are support troops or attachments. This actually would be at least internally consistent, even if it’s really slanted vs. the formation sizes those terms ever meant in real life.
True- although since Krieger regiments are deployed in a ridiculous ham-handed way, really they'd be better suited to 19th century "form up in big blocks and get mowed down by Minie balls" tactics...

Well, they're liable to be under-officered by modern standards, with a wide span of command, because the way they're used is so simplistic that assuming one lieutenant can keep track of fifty men is par for the course.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Simon_Jester wrote:True- although since Krieger regiments are deployed in a ridiculous ham-handed way, really they'd be better suited to 19th century "form up in big blocks and get mowed down by Minie balls" tactics...
I don't see how that is relevant. 19th century regiments were usually a lot smaller then 20th century regiments, 1000-1,500 vs 2500-3500 men. A number of reasons exist for this shift. Its still nothing like having 100,000 men as a 'regiment'. No rational link can be made, the terms are just being used differently. 100,000 men should be a field army or for the modern US Army, which abolished all formations above corps in the 1970s due to its limited size, it'd be a big corps. Though, in Iraq and Afghanistan army level commands have basically been improvised anyway. You can justify a corps being pretty darn big, but not the millions of troops being estimated here, should be an army group or front both of which can be of unlimited size without violating even informal rules. If we get into hard core Sovietness, the 'strategic direction' or theater group is also a plausible designation for a group of fronts. This is just a different system at work.

Well, they're liable to be under-officered by modern standards, with a wide span of command, because the way they're used is so simplistic that assuming one lieutenant can keep track of fifty men is par for the course.
You might want to look into TO&Es again. A 20th century-21st century infantry platoon has 40-50 men and just one commissioned officer, a second lieutenant as platoon leader. The seconds or squads are in the hands of NCOs.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Connor MacLeod wrote: Scale of the front the Krieg are assaulting.
250km is in comparison, about an average width of an attack by a Soviet Front with four or five armies and about 20-25 divisions. It could be wider or somewhat narrower depending on the defenses. A divisional attack sector however can be as narrow as three kilometers, with a single Soviet scale regiment in the lead and the others stacked behind it. 5-8km is more likely for a regiment because it’s seriously hard to deploy your forces in such narrow sectors.

Scope of the logistical battle. "Hundreds of tons" of shells sounds alot per day, but consider that your average earthshaker shell is ~40 kg. Assuming 1000 tons daily, thats only 25,000 shells (and it could go as few as 5,000 a day.) Assuming 500 guns that's only 10-50 guns per shell. At one round per minute say they could only fire an hour.

All this assumes we take 'hundreds' literally, of course.
The 155mm ammunition alone for a 1980s US armored division in combat would weigh over 1,500 tons per day in heavy combat. MLRS, mortar, tank and other direct fire ammo plus aircraft weapons push this up even further, easily another 500 tons or more. Considering the attackers built a heavy rail line for resupply they should be having no trouble bringing up several tens of thousands of tons of ammunition per day, if it were available to move. They would certainly rationally need this level of ammunition to sustain such a battle. But its not unlikely that long term averages are indeed low; though even a few rounds per weapon per day would still require a lot more then hundreds of tons surely. Unless they brought almost no artillery, which is contradicted by the idea that millions of rounds were fired unless we are talking about a year or more between attacks. Meanwhile about 1 billion artillery shells were fired in WW1, even if the vast majority were only about 3in in caliber at a weight of around 15lb. The amount of explosives poured into shells was over a million tons as I recall. That was in little over four years, from the resources of a large part of one planet, and starting from a very small scale of production, if ample raw industry.

We dont know what caused that shell, or if its a single or multiple. Several 5 meter diameter craters per shell (~2-3m deep roughly) we might be looking at 25-30 kg of TNT (roughly guessed by the ADC scaling) That could be for earthshakers or mortars, but it might also be for the bombard.
It’s unlikely that multiple impacts would create a deeper crater; since most dirt from an impact falls directly back into the hole it just doesn’t make sense for that to happen unless the shells land in the exact same spot. Even then, the number of rounds required for this to happen would tend to led to mutual filling in of craters as much as any are dug deeper. You’re only going to get a crater tens of feet deep if a heavy warhead exploded deep underground, without being so deep it simply blasts out cavity that does not collapse. Also the lower power the explosives, the more earth you’ll displace, and certain soils like clay will give better results then others.

I have to wonder, if they can sneak across the no mans land like that at night, why can they coordinate a much more comprehensive infiltration effort? Wouldn't that be better than grinding attrition?
Its not really infiltration if they aren’t actually getting past the enemy frontline or perhaps not even his outposts.

Millions of casualties in seven years of war. We know its fewer than 4 million (8 million with wounded at least) over some 17-18 regiments.. thats a few tens of thousands of killed annually per regiment.
It was pretty typical to take over 100% losses in a year in the world wars; though such losses would fall massively on the infantry and armored units who would see constant replacements. Though, you’d also expect a lot more wounded then dead. Dead making up 50% of losses would be pretty bad, but then I doubt they have real medical support.

Also note that platoons now have fifty men. Damn book can't even keep its organizational tables straight at this point. And we have two more books to go. Be afraid.
Or they lost so much infantry they just reduced the TO&E to reflect the reality of the situation, and declare units ‘up to strength’. That’s being really, really generous to the writer.

Given its a titan grade weapon.. big shock there.

Also.. where the fuck were the superheavy tanks like this? wouldn't they have been useful for blasting holes in the enemy lines? I mean fuck we know from 'Gunheads' a single Shadowsword was able to blow apart a massive Titan-sized armoured gate in Ork fortifcations...

GAH.
And to make it even better they have the engineer support to waste time building a railroad track a thousand miles long, so its not like they couldn’t be massively shifting the landscape with bulldozers to be able to employ even the heaviest armor anywhere they damn well pleased. I’m reminded of the sand berms as much as 100 feet tall the Israelis and Egyptians bulldozed along the Suez Canal in the early 1970s so tanks could better shell each other.
Given that they committed something like millions of troops to VRaks alone, this seems like an underestimate. Given 5th edition annaul tithing, it seems even more conservative.
Considering the US could mobilize over 10 million men out of a 130 million person population in WW2 and still be the arsenal of democracy on the factory front, yeah you’d hope a whole hive death world garrison state could crap out more then 20 million men fit to fight. Sustaining them, that is a little more complicated.

Variations in Krieg regimental raisings. Part of me wants to say that the 'variations' in how Krieg are depicted (Vraks example versus, for example, Warriors of Ultramar) stems from this. Also note that Mechanised, infantry, and tank regiments differ from siege regiments - quite psosibly in mentality as well as equipment.
They would kind of need a different mentality. Tank crews that care nothing for losses and always obey as ordered would be swiftly wiped out by driving every single tank into a undetected minefield, instead of losing one or two tanks and finding a different route.

Grenadiers get a specialized rebreather, and hellguns lack bayonet lugs. This makes them inherently less effective at trench warfare, I suppose.
Bayonets were bad for trench warfare anyway. It’s just too easy to get them stuck in people, and then be in a very tight place to have to extract one by firing a shot or kicking the corpse off. They basically work best in the open country which is exactly what they were intended for. Supposedly bayonet wounds were almost unheard of in WW1, and all edged weapons inflicted well under 1% of wounds. It would have been situational though, since some bayonet actions took place after both sides ran out of ammo, though it was not uncommon for both sides running out of ammo to turn into both sides throwing rocks at each other rather then charge, particularly in the Middle East when this happened often and rocks were plentiful.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Sea Skimmer wrote:[...]
Crap. Nevermind, I messed up.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Well, what you said would have some truth if they had no NCOs, or completely worthless NCOs which is possible given how much other stupid is ongoing, though it doesn't really fit with the idea of the troops being bred for war and having long terms of service. The shear experience of the men would mean that even if they don't promote NCOs much, they effectively have them anyway as the more experienced men will just take the lead anyway.

Such NCO shortage is a big problem for third world armies and short term conscript heavy forces though. A Soviet motor rifle platoon for example had only 31 men because it only had three vehicles. Soviet tank platoons had only three tanks as well, in both cases because they didn't think units larger then three vehicles could effectively deploy as one unit. So you had a Soviet first Lt leading just eight other men when the auto loader tanks were introduced. Its no joke the Soviets ended up officer heavy because of stuff like this. The NATO solution was a four vehicle platoon can simply split in pairs if required with one pair led by a senior NCO.

A US Bradly platoon only has 39 men, three nine man squads crammed into four vehicles with three crew each, but its never been considered satisfactory. This has nothing to do with command, but rather just cannot fit more men into the vehicles and it was introduced in the 1980s when the US Army had a hard limit on total active duty personal, and a lot of pressing demands for more men which precluded solutions like a five vehicle platoon as US armor used to use. The Strykers have restored strength to four full squads each in its own vehicle. Plus the two man crews gives 44 men. Course, this is also minus autocannon and missiles launchers that allow dozens of vehicles to not be massacred by a single M1 tank in training exercises.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Sea Skimmer wrote:I don't see how that is relevant. 19th century regiments were usually a lot smaller then 20th century regiments, 1000-1,500 vs 2500-3500 men. A number of reasons exist for this shift. Its still nothing like having 100,000 men as a 'regiment'. No rational link can be made, the terms are just being used differently. 100,000 men should be a field army or for the modern US Army, which abolished all formations above corps in the 1970s due to its limited size, it'd be a big corps. Though, in Iraq and Afghanistan army level commands have basically been improvised anyway. You can justify a corps being pretty darn big, but not the millions of troops being estimated here, should be an army group or front both of which can be of unlimited size without violating even informal rules. If we get into hard core Sovietness, the 'strategic direction' or theater group is also a plausible designation for a group of fronts. This is just a different system at work.
I also have to point this out (to make Sea Skimmer tear his hair out more :) ) - The Imperial Guard in 40K is appalingly bad at defining what a "regiment" actually means. The current Codex notes that a Regiment can have as few as 600 warm bodies (manning about 50 heavy artillery), to as many as 120,000 men for a "light infantry" unit.

Yet the Munitorium apparenly regards these regiments as more or less "equal in value". Despite the fact that there is virtually no standardization across Imperial Guard regiments unless they're from the same recruiting world - and that's not even guaranteed.

In general though, I am tempted to say that an Imperial Guard regiment is actually closer to a modern-day Division in terms of size and firepower. The Tanith 1st-and-Only for instance started off with about 6,000 troopers, and they are a "light" scout regiment. Other regiments they serve with generally have around 10K men at the minimum, with a few hitting 20-30K plus armor.

It still makes throwing a regiment over no-man's land to get massacred by machine guns pure insanity though.

You might want to look into TO&Es again. A 20th century-21st century infantry platoon has 40-50 men and just one commissioned officer, a second lieutenant as platoon leader. The seconds or squads are in the hands of NCOs.[/quote]

On the squad scale there at least seems to be a level of standardization. Imperial Guard troops generally fight as part of ten-man squads, led by an NCO. Sometimes they split the squad into two fire teams of five apiece, with one squad led by the NCO and the other by a Corporal.

The bigger IG regiments (120K strong ones) seem to operate under the "one NCO per platoon" model however, usually with a Commissar handy to shoot any who try to desert.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

I decided to keep these in two parts just to make the responses less cumbersome
Sea Skimmer wrote:Then you really just don’t get how much about warfare is about gaining key terrain for observation and fire. A big anti gravity ship throws those concepts out the window and opens up a whole new world of fighting. Let me know if you ever hear about someone complaining about having too many helicopters in real life...
Well rather than guessing what sort of performance and size of vehicle you're talking about, could you clarify exactly what you're thinking of? Are we really talking something like a floating Bolo or Titan? How high off the ground is it operating? How fast is it moving?
Penny pinchers who approve a 12 year plan? Yeah, that isn’t penny pinching, its just completely retarded. All the more so since your quote now show this place wasn’t actually any more remote then some pacific battlefields were for the US
They're "penny pinching" in the sense they want to preserve their own narrow little preorgatives. That means they follow their own ideals (human life means less than the equipment we give to them), which is basically exemplified by the whole Krieg approach in this book (and the quartermastering as I explain later.) It's why they decide to send int hordes of (apparently) unarmored people to suffer massive casualties but don't use all those powerful (and valuable - to them at least) heavy vehicles with the titan scale guns and that could protect troops from enemy gunfire on the advance (EG Gorgons.)

It also means that beyond their own little narrow purview they likely don't give a shit. Long distance transport is the Navy's problem - they'r eonly required to provide the transport they need. And for 40K starships, hauling shit from one warzone to another across half the galaxy (Which is basically what this amounts to) is neither typical nor simple, at least not when they have access to local sector/subsector resources (we're talking tens or hundreds of km distance vs tens of thousands. thats a SIGNIFICANT difference.)

Of course this might also explain the complete absence of any naval support (orbiting starships, orbital bombardment, or naval aircraft of air support of ANY kind.)

Sieges and WW1 relied on tactical railroads which could be laid very very quickly, though this sounds like just putting the effort into building a regular line. Pretty retarded to go that much effort to supply a siege from a thousand miles away from only one direction.
It's better than Taros, in the sense that here at least they have some sort of vehicle for moving troops and vehicles over long distances. In the Taros battle they made the troops walk (IIRC) 1500 km on foot. In the desert. Imperial Armour seems to love sticking supply lines increidbly far away for some reason (thematic crap probably.)

The defender should be able to shift faster for counter attacks, but every time his forces shift is exactly what you should want because it exposes them to gunfire more then sitting in holes and bunkers. WW1 battles tended to end up with attacker and defender having similar losses for this reason. If the defender didn’t move and enjoyed total protection, he’d simply be defeated in detail. If he did move, he’s exposed like the attacker and its all the same.
What about vehicles? The implication I got from the book (and as I've noted) is that the Vraks storehouse had a literal shit-ton of vehicles, quite probably more than the Krieg themselves had (either that or the Krieg just like sending their troops in on foot by Imperial armour fiat.) Another possibility is that Vraks may have stored alot of remote control/automated gunnery emplacements - stuff like Tarantulas or servitor controlled guns and stuff that can contribute heavy weapons firepower in static positions at least.
Well, unless the rangefinders are optical bars and the scanners consist of a guy with a hand over his brow.
This being Imperial armour its quite likely. However in general 40K parlance surveyors generally mean some sort of electronic sensor, so its probabably safe to say that's what it is.
I don’t know about your math, but you know the mass of the vehicle generates rather high friction on the ground. The ballistic performance described is pretty similar to a US 155mm M1 Long Tom, which was about 28,000lb in action. It just sat on the ground and worked great. Actual backwards movement of any artillery piece is dependent on the angle of fire.
Yeah, I should have allowed for the angle of fire. It also may not be so much backwards movement as the front of the tank lifting off the ground. Which isn't good either. I'm pretty sure that's a good sign the gun on your vehicle is pushing (or exceeding) the safe limits of gun recoil.
Nothing is wrong with battlefield salvage, all the more so to keep the defenders from salvaging it in a siege situation.
It's less the battlefield salvage than the 'Meat Droid' Krieg doctrine andhow they're used in this book, plus the Munitorum 'doctrine' that technology and equipment is inherently more valuable than men. They really do believe that a lasgun is more valuable than the soldier wielding it, and soldiers are told they should save the gun before saving the trooper. They care about their own purview alone and everything else can go to hell (training may or may not matter here - since they can either just poach a planet's own defence forces for trained troops, or may just decide to use conscripts, training isn't always a big cost for them I'd say.)

Or you could just interpret the quote to mean chunks of metal with melted edges were present, which is considerably more likely way for the door to fail but whatever.
Yeah, that's possible. Or they just sliced the door off its hinges (or sliced it apart). Thing is, we've seen all those things happen, and the more typical depiction of meltaweapons is that it melts the hell out of large volumes of shit (people, tanks, etc.) and given that is what was described I just went iwth the straightforward example. If we go with the alternative definition then the calc will be diffrent.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Part 2
Sea Skimmer wrote:
It’s unlikely that multiple impacts would create a deeper crater; since most dirt from an impact falls directly back into the hole it just doesn’t make sense for that to happen unless the shells land in the exact same spot. Even then, the number of rounds required for this to happen would tend to led to mutual filling in of craters as much as any are dug deeper. You’re only going to get a crater tens of feet deep if a heavy warhead exploded deep underground, without being so deep it simply blasts out cavity that does not collapse. Also the lower power the explosives, the more earth you’ll displace, and certain soils like clay will give better results then others.
I also considered the fact it might be multiple shells (like half a dozen or more) overlapping but I wasn't 100% sure and wanted to factor in the possibility of multiple crater. Gut instinct is that its a single shell from one of the heavier platforms (like the bombard) which is more likely to be ground penetrating. We know from the novel 'Storm of Iron' (which also had siege warfare, only with Space Marines more heavily involved) that Earthshakers can make craters 15 m in diameter, so the idea that conventional artillery blasting out deep craters might be possible.

Its not really infiltration if they aren’t actually getting past the enemy frontline or perhaps not even his outposts.
Well if we were going to play the 'nuke game' they should be able to lob melta bombs or demo charges or some heavier munitions in to blow massive holes in the lines. Hell, if they're willing to sacrifice meat droids in such huge numbers wouldn't it make sense to use kamikaze infiltrators like this? I bet a single Krieger could carry alot of munitions on his body...
It was pretty typical to take over 100% losses in a year in the world wars; though such losses would fall massively on the infantry and armored units who would see constant replacements. Though, you’d also expect a lot more wounded then dead. Dead making up 50% of losses would be pretty bad, but then I doubt they have real medical support.
Considering they're Death Korps of Krieg Meat Droids, Imperial Armour edition, I doubt they even contemplated the idea of giving any of the troops battlefield medical training (or anything like it.) Medical training is what those other, less reliable Guard units would be getting.

Or they lost so much infantry they just reduced the TO&E to reflect the reality of the situation, and declare units ‘up to strength’. That’s being really, really generous to the writer.
Indeed.

And to make it even better they have the engineer support to waste time building a railroad track a thousand miles long, so its not like they couldn’t be massively shifting the landscape with bulldozers to be able to employ even the heaviest armor anywhere they damn well pleased. I’m reminded of the sand berms as much as 100 feet tall the Israelis and Egyptians bulldozed along the Suez Canal in the early 1970s so tanks could better shell each other.
The Admech is known to have some pretty massive landscaping machines and tech (as big or bigger than the superheavy vehicles like Baneblades.) As a point of reference they're capable of demolishing and levelling mountains and such in a matter of months. I'm sure someone like Black Admiral could give me exact references, I can't remember anything aside from a few cases in the Horus Heresy novels.

It should have been possible fro them to deploy forces well within 500 miles of the Vraks fortress with little or no risk from the orbital or anti-air defenses. Hell considering defence lasers are line of sight and torpedoes suck at targeting small craft, they could have just done low level flying to get to wherever they needed and stayed well beyond line of sight of the guns they had to worry about. Unless they had something like deathstrikes (and they never deploy anything like that to my knowledge at Vraks) they probably couldn't reach them.
Considering the US could mobilize over 10 million men out of a 130 million person population in WW2 and still be the arsenal of democracy on the factory front, yeah you’d hope a whole hive death world garrison state could crap out more then 20 million men fit to fight. Sustaining them, that is a little more complicated.
Well Siege of Vraks 5 was written before 5th edition came out, IIRC, so it suffers from not adjusting to the new 'version' of 40K. But to give you an idea of what sort of 'annual' tithe rates we're looking at for worlds: one example is a regimental tithe of greater than 5 million but less than 10 million per annum. A second example is 'greater than' 50 million per annum. This is probably for most 'habitable' planets. A heavily polluted, industrialized Hive worlds (EG shitholes like Krieg) are noted in the 5th edition Guard codex to routinely raise between 1.25 million and 100+ million troops per source, and there are potentially tens of thousands of hive worlds.

All of wihch more than probably reflects recruitment from the militaries of the worlds in question, which typically reflects 10% of their totals (supposedly the 'best' 10 percent.) and drawing a greater portion (EG 20% or more) is not unheard of if the situation is more serious.

They would kind of need a different mentality. Tank crews that care nothing for losses and always obey as ordered would be swiftly wiped out by driving every single tank into a undetected minefield, instead of losing one or two tanks and finding a different route.
Such a mentality has been ascribed to the siege regiments in this book, up to and including the tanks. Its pretty bad that the Krieg apparently have to be reined in so as not to excessively waste men and materiel in combat, or something stupid.

and yes this is contradictory with the Munitorum idea that 'machines and equipment are more important than men.' Hypocrisy is a one of the hidden 'virtues' of the Imperium.

Bayonets were bad for trench warfare anyway. It’s just too easy to get them stuck in people, and then be in a very tight place to have to extract one by firing a shot or kicking the corpse off. They basically work best in the open country which is exactly what they were intended for. Supposedly bayonet wounds were almost unheard of in WW1, and all edged weapons inflicted well under 1% of wounds. It would have been situational though, since some bayonet actions took place after both sides ran out of ammo, though it was not uncommon for both sides running out of ammo to turn into both sides throwing rocks at each other rather then charge, particularly in the Middle East when this happened often and rocks were plentiful.
It's 40K, and the artwork (and a fair bit of fluff) always has mention of bayonets and shit. This being forge world they'll find some way to cram bayonets into the battle. It's more thematic.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Yeah, to put this in perspective, the Kreig Quartermasters wander around on a battlefield after the battle is over, shoot any Imperial wounded they find in order to salvage their gear. If you are Kreig, you either walk off the battlefield under your own power or are listed as KIA, with pretty much no exceptions.
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Connor MacLeod wrote: What about vehicles? The implication I got from the book (and as I've noted) is that the Vraks storehouse had a literal shit-ton of vehicles, quite probably more than the Krieg themselves had (either that or the Krieg just like sending their troops in on foot by Imperial armour fiat.) Another possibility is that Vraks may have stored alot of remote control/automated gunnery emplacements - stuff like Tarantulas or servitor controlled guns and stuff that can contribute heavy weapons firepower in static positions at least.
If you're sending human waves against armored vehicles, you're going to die horribly i.e your attack will succeed only due to an act of plot. Tanks and other vehicles are hampered a bit when on the defense, but they still have the ability to move around the battlefield at speed and bring a shit ton of firepower to bear on the enemy. If the attacker packs vehicles on it's own, it equates odds somewhat but if the enemy can separate the advancing infantry from their tanks they become much more vulnerable to close assault. The other problem is the fact that your tanks are advancing at infantry pace making them huge shot magnets. Emplacement weapons are extremely vulnerable to observed indirect fire, be it smart munitions or simple arty. Well.. that is if your artillery practices aren't a complete joke. Yes, I'm saying IG artillery practices are a joke.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives