Imperial armour: Siege of Vraks analysis

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Re: Imperial armour: Siege of Vraks analysis

Post by Zinegata »

Alkaloid wrote:The Guard do have access to things like Sentinels though (by far and away the coolest piece of Guard kit, really) that are supposedly fast enough that armoured companies and mech infantry use squads of them as recon units, and would be ideal for this. The scout models would still be outpaced by Tau vehicles, but can actually be used to screen the Guard elements as they are moving so the Tau can't just come up on them unprepared. Sure, you will lose some sentinels, but there is a big difference between Tau armour hitting an unprepared column and hitting a prepared column, taking casualties there and then taking more fire to the rear from mobile heavy weapons platforms as they try to disengage. Meanwhile the heavily armoured models are perfect for supporting infantry with mobile heavy weapons fire after you have actually engaged the Tau infantry, it's what they were actually built for and why highly mobile lightly equipped forces like drop troops make heavy use of them.
Yeah, I forgot about them. Silly Zine! The las-cannon variant will also be very good against the Tau tanks; better than the Leman Russ I'd argue.

It's actually sad how little we see Sentinels in action. They only get a passing mention in Necropolis (scouting for the Narmenians), and Felicia rides one in a Cain novel. I think we finally get to see some in action in the latest Cain novel though (Last Ditch).

Also, I've just realized... We may have left poor Connor weeping at how we turned this thread into Tau vs Imperium. Any way we can do a split? :oops:
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Hammer of the Emperor has that novel where the Tallarns used tons of sentinels against the Tyrannids. Was actually quite nice, and to the understanding of armoured warfare, actually realistic.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Zinegata wrote: The Skyray is a missile shooter (it's technically an AA weapon). The Manta is a gunship without true indirect fire capability like artillery. Neither of which can actually kill large numbers of infantry very quickly unless they're marching in parade formation, and the latter has to expose itself to return fire.
The Skyray(Thank you for the correction) is a precision guided munitions weapon. We're using tons of those in the war in Iraq and Afghanistan.
You should really check out the part where I said Taros was NOT a good place to do this due to logistical concerns.
You don't have to be in a desert. The US Airland battle specifically used the above philosophy to engage the Soviet military.
Note the suggestion to use Air Cav? Are you reading, like at all?
Sigh.

What are you suggesting? Positional warfare against the Tau? Or?

Positional warfare, using large infantry units without the support of mechanised forces is sucide or highly expensive against a highly mobile enemy.

Alternatively, that you're suggesting to swarm the enemy under human soldiers because they lack artillery and thus the ability to kill the enemy en masse is simply wrong. The Tau do not have a ranged disadvantage against the Imperium. Their use of Skyray missiles, airmobility, stealth shows that they do have the ability to penetrate and engage the enemy rear lines and interdict supplies and second echeleon forces. The sole difference is that the Tau relies significantly more on their air caste and air superiority than the IG for this role, giving the IG an advantage.

When you're fighting over interstellar empires, the scale of combat changes significantly. The Tau has no need to hold any cities or terrain, they just need a secure spaceport to land supplies from. Given the capabilities of WH40k dropships/landers, they can easily utilise temporary, converted landing fields with miminal engineering support.

The thing is, if you can deny the Tau such strategic capabilities, then a mechanised/armoured army would be just as effective and probably cheaper/easier to supply/sustain than a heavy infantry force. And you won't deny yourself the staying power and mobility of those units.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

PainRack wrote:
Zinegata wrote: The Skyray is a missile shooter (it's technically an AA weapon). The Manta is a gunship without true indirect fire capability like artillery. Neither of which can actually kill large numbers of infantry very quickly unless they're marching in parade formation, and the latter has to expose itself to return fire.
The Skyray(Thank you for the correction) is a precision guided munitions weapon. We're using tons of those in the war in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Against relatively few enemies. Not going to work against a mass infantry push, you need artillery.
You don't have to be in a desert. The US Airland battle specifically used the above philosophy to engage the Soviet military.
And I guess you're just going to ignore how other armies - i.e. the North Vietnamese army - was essentially a foot army and could operate as such, yes?
Sigh.

What are you suggesting? Positional warfare against the Tau? Or?

Positional warfare, using large infantry units without the support of mechanised forces is sucide or highly expensive against a highly mobile enemy.
Again, clearly not reading and wasting everyone's time. Nobody is suggesting "no armored support".

Read what I actually wrote.
Alternatively, that you're suggesting to swarm the enemy under human soldiers because they lack artillery and thus the ability to kill the enemy en masse is simply wrong. The Tau do not have a ranged disadvantage against the Imperium. Their use of Skyray missiles, airmobility, stealth shows that they do have the ability to penetrate and engage the enemy rear lines and interdict supplies and second echeleon forces. The sole difference is that the Tau relies significantly more on their air caste and air superiority than the IG for this role, giving the IG an advantage.
Learn the difference of a Hellfire missile launcher and massed 155mm tubes. Then get back to me.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Zinegata wrote: Against relatively few enemies. Not going to work against a mass infantry push, you need artillery.
For that, they're going to rely on the huge numbers of burst cannons and other rapid fire, anti infantry weapons they have.

Against the IG, supported by artillery and aircraft, they can rely on the same tactics the US army used against the Germans, or the Germans used against the British/Soviet forces. Hit them, kill them, and then just withdraw. Without the mobility provided by mechanised/armoured forces, you're simply not going to pin them down.

If you're going to use spaceborne/air cavalry forces to engage and pin them down, that requires the IG to have gained air superiority and that would make mechanised/armoured operations just as feasible against the Tau. Indeed, it would be even better, since "airborne" forces need to be supported by other ground forces and this is even easier to achieve if your forces can move fast enough to support them. If you mechanise your ground units, you might as well add in armour units to support them and provide more firepower to tear apart Tau forces.

What is going to be a better force mix? A "human wave" IG battalion that swarms the enemy under, pushing forward against a Tau platoon of Fire warriors that's barraging them with burst cannons/pulse cannons,missile pods from battle suits or using a mechanised unit that can use both dismounted infantry and a mechanised assault to accomplish the mission?
And I guess you're just going to ignore how other armies - i.e. the North Vietnamese army - as essentially a foot army and could operate as such, yes?
Actually, no. The NVA featured tanks, AA and SAMs . The US army always had the problem of dispersion vs concentration in North Vietnam. They had to disperse their army to engage the Viet Cong, or the NVA paramilitaries that replaced them post Tet, but had to stand ready at any time to concentrate to engage a NVA push with artillery or tanks along the DMZ.

The Viet Cong/NVA paramiltaries in South Vietnam also had the problem that they could not actually pin down US forces. The US chose the moment to engage them, and despite the prevalence of AA weapons, the NVA found it difficult to overrun and destroy the US landing zones.

The exact same problems that would face a non mechanised unit fighting against the Tau.
Again, clearly not reading and wasting everyone's time. Nobody is suggesting "no armored support".

Read what I actually wrote.
Positional warfare is different from no armored support.

Oh, and massing artillery gives you the advantage of suppressing enemy fire, facillating an advance or withdrawal, or suppressing the enemy own movement. Its NOT a biggie, given the prevalence of missile pods and other rapid firing weapons in the Tau arsenal. The Tau are weaker than the IG, but this does not translate to them having no ability to actually interdict and suppress enemy movement. Not unless you believe that rockets don't have sharpnel!
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

PainRack wrote:For that, they're going to rely on the huge numbers of burst cannons and other rapid fire, anti infantry weapons they have.
The burst cannon is essentially a machine gun. And again, only an idiot thinks that the US Army is going to fight the Chinese Army using machineguns and hellfires only.

There is a reason why a weapon system like THIS exists:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M109_howitzer

And has never completely been completely replaced. Because stuff like Hellfire missiles are more expensive to produce (arty rounds don't need its own guidance system) and your insane notion that Hellfire-equivalents can completely replace arty is insane.
Without the mobility provided by mechanised/armoured forces, you're simply not going to pin them down.
Because you're thinking purely in terms of destroying the enemy's army rather than robbing him the ability to fight.

Any mechanized force (including the Tau) requires extensive logistical support. That means they need some kind of base to draw supplies from.

The objective of any infantry-heavy army fighting the Tau would be to take and hold the Tau bases. The Tau will hit my supply lines you say? Too bad, because I've got troops stationed all over my supply lines, because I have the troops to spare. The Tau will hit my own supply bases? Good luck, because again I've got enough troops to also garrison my bases.

A manpower-heavy approach is again not "send in the next wave". Again, it is more akin to COIN: Make sure you have troops EVERYWHERE. Leave your enemy with no place where he can strike without being forced to fight a pitched battle.
What is going to be a better force mix? A "human wave" IG battalion that swarms the enemy under,
Massed infantry is not the same as human wave. This has been addressed. Again. AND AGAIN.
Actually, no.
Ho Chi Minh trail. North Vietnamese army was primarily a foot army. End of story. Mech doesn't always trump infantry.
Positional warfare is different from no armored support.
Formulate an actual argument that doesn't blatantly contradict something I already said, then we'll talk. Otherwise, you are AGAIN just wasting my time by bringing up points already raised.

No, I am not advocating "no tanks".

No, I am not advocating "human wave".

Notice how I said Taros would still be a disaster if the Kriegers fought it the same way as Vraks? Obviously not. Again, READ before you post.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Dude... Seriously, the main reason why your COIN analogy doesn't work is that while the British used blockhouses/new villages and other tactics like aggressive patrolling to reduce the insurgency mobility, it won't apply to the Tau who has the ability to concentrate heavy firepower at any point of the line and break out.

And any other scenario where you can reduce the Tau mobility effective, via air superiority, large numbers of successive airlandings in good terrain is going to be one where the placement of mechanised forces would be just as effective, unless you're talking about areas where the terrain prevents mechanised movement. Which would actually be more of a problem for a pure Tau force than the IG.

The Tau appears to compensate for this by relying on Pathfinders, Tau warriors cooperating with Kroot and Vespid auxillaries, as seen in the Tyrannid Codex but that's a different scenario totally, where the heavy AP firepower of the Tau wasn't seen.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

PainRack wrote:Dude... Seriously, the main reason why your COIN analogy doesn't work is that while the British used blockhouses/new villages and other tactics like aggressive patrolling to reduce the insurgency mobility, it won't apply to the Tau who has the ability to concentrate heavy firepower at any point of the line and break out.
Why would I want to contain a Tau force and keep them from "breaking out"?

Again, they can roam around the countryside however they want. I'm gonna be off taking their cities and supply bases. Wanna stop me? Go ahead and hit my supply lines and bases which are guarded by ample number of troops; they'll just run into entrenched infantry with AT weapons.

An armoured force does not need to be pinned down to be destroyed. It will be destroyed once you take its supply base and deprive it of its logistical support.

It is true that the difference between the Tau and an insurgency is that they have heavy weapons which can be concentrated. But the heavy weapons are reliant on a logistical base, and as long as you mass enough troops to simply go after their logistics bases (and guard the supply lines for these assault troops) there really isn't much the Tau can do about it. They aren't the VC. Taking the cities and bases means the Tau are done, because their tanks stop working.

And again, what's more efficient for guarding the supply lines? Tanks, which can be easily spotted and taken out? Or entrenched infantry, against which the Tau cannot deploy artillery?

Trying to defend your entire supply network with tanks is what they did in Taros. They failed, because there were too few tanks and they were too slow. It was Market Garden all over again because they simply didn't have enough troops to hold the whole line.

Against this setup however, even if the Tau mass enough firepower against a particular portion of the supply line it will take them a while to kill all the infantry. That's the point of using infantry in defense - they're hard to dig out and kill. Which gives more time for a rapid reaction force to actually reach the area and clobber the Tau attackers.

You can employ hit-and-run against a company of tanks (say 10 tanks) easily. Fire 10 missiles, get 10 hits, and you're done. But facing a company of 300 soldiers, each hiding in their own foxhole, is an entirely different thing.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Zinegata wrote:
Because you're thinking purely in terms of destroying the enemy's army rather than robbing him the ability to fight.

Any mechanized force (including the Tau) requires extensive logistical support. That means they need some kind of base to draw supplies from.

The objective of any infantry-heavy army fighting the Tau would be to take and hold the Tau bases. The Tau will hit my supply lines you say? Too bad, because I've got troops stationed all over my supply lines, because I have the troops to spare. The Tau will hit my own supply bases? Good luck, because again I've got enough troops to also garrison my bases.
So? The mobility of the Tau army along with WH40k logistics means that given open ground, or just a small engineering corp, they can make their own bases anytime anywhere.

Take and hold the Tau bases? Supply lines? The Tau has the ability to concentrate and mobilise forces to hit weak spots along your lines, and there's going to be weak spots. Its absurd, because on one hand, you argue against the folly of dispersing tanks 1940 French army style, but here, you're ignoring that defending everywhere means dispersing your strength everywhere. Especially as the scale of your operations mean that the logistic burden also increases significantly.
A manpower-heavy approach is again not "send in the next wave". Again, it is more akin to COIN: Make sure you have troops EVERYWHERE. Leave your enemy with no place where he can strike without being forced to fight a pitched battle.
And this works ONLY if the Tau don't have the firepower to actually engage and break through your lines. Again, I pointed out to you that the British Blockhouses tactics works because the Boers don't have the firepower to actually engage and destroy them. The Tau DO.
Massed infantry is not the same as human wave. This has been addressed. Again. AND AGAIN.
Fuck. I'm NOT talking about a human wave as in send infantry over to die. I'm talking about a purely infantry advance, supported by artillery without mechanised and armour support. You DON"T HAVE THE SPEED TO ENGAGE AND PIN DOWN ENEMY FORCESWHO ARE MECHANISED.

What this means is that the enemy stand battles, inflict their losses on you and if they're in danger of being defeated, withdraw from the battle. Insert strong blocking forces and said blocking forces needs to have achieved air superiority and be strong enough to withstand against the Tau retreating forces. If you have such strength, you MIGHT as well have armoured/mechanised forces in play to actually pursue and engage them because this will actually increase the odds in your favour.

Your argument rests purely on the strength that the TAu

Ho Chi Minh trail. North Vietnamese army was primarily a foot army. End of story. Mech doesn't always trump infantry.
It did. The NVA purely failed to pin down and destroy US forces, and that is the critical point I been making!

The US could and did.
http://www.ktroop.com/useofarmor.htm
Not to mention, you're wrong about the use of armour in Vietnam. The NVA paramilitaries in South Vietnam was primarily hindered by the logistic problems of bringing in armour units.

http://www.history.army.mil/books/Vietn ... apter3.htm
Formulate an actual argument that doesn't blatantly contradict something I already said, then we'll talk. Otherwise, you are AGAIN just wasting my time by bringing up points already raised.

No, I am not advocating "no tanks".

No, I am not advocating "human wave".

Notice how I said Taros would still be a disaster if the Kriegers fought it the same way as Vraks? Obviously not. Again, READ before you post.
What? Your argument that well supported defensive positions can engage the enemy? That pushing large numbers of infantry forces out in front, using their HW to engage and destroy enemy armour? Or in other words, an infantry based war, with significant use of positional warfare to defend and engage the enemy?

I fucking pointed out the problems with this. The Tau mobility means they can engage and withdraw at will, they get to choose the battles they fight. To pin them down, you need more and more forces to be in theatre, which makes them more and more vulnerable to the Tau tactics of interdicting supply lines and second echeloen forces as seen in Taros. You disperse your troops to defend the supply lines and bases, and since you haven't actually destroyed the Tau advantages in mobility, they can simply concentrate in force and engage any weak point in the line and break out, or destroy vulnerable aspects. Destroy the Tau advantages in mobility, and you actually gain MORE from having your own mechanised/armoured units because now you're more mobile than they are.

So, in what fucking scenario does your strategy make sense?
Why would I want to contain a Tau force and keep them from "breaking out"?

Again, they can roam around the countryside however they want. I'm gonna be off taking their cities and supply bases. Wanna stop me? Go ahead and hit my supply lines and bases which are guarded by ample number of troops; they'll just run into entrenched infantry with AT weapons.
Because as pointed out, Interstellar warfare and WH40k logistics means that the Tau can amply supply and maintain operations anywhere. Just have a good enough engineering corps with the capabilities of WH40k landers/dropships and you get a base of operations.
An armoured force does not need to be pinned down to be destroyed. It will be destroyed once you take its supply base and deprive it of its logistical support.
Right. Just take its base. That's why Rommel was unable to execute the Battle of Kasserine pass after he lost Tripoli to Monty....... Oh wait, he wasn't. This simply doesn't make sense in the context of both Tau and Wh40k capabilities, nor does it buttress your tactics. Its literally Mecha vs Tanks again. In every scenario where you propose this might work, it will work just as well with armoured/mechanised units.

Your single argument rests on the fact that the Tau has very good AP capabilities,making operations against them difficult. The US and Soviet armies found out that the Germans had very good AP capabilities in the past, this did not prevent armoured/mechanised operations from being successful against them. Effective use of combined arms removed this problem.

Adopting an infantry based approach to warfare opens up a whole new can of problems and weakens your strategic options.
It is true that the difference between the Tau and an insurgency is that they have heavy weapons which can be concentrated. But the heavy weapons are reliant on a logistical base, and as long as you mass enough troops to simply go after their logistics bases (and guard the supply lines for these assault troops) there really isn't much the Tau can do about it. They aren't the VC. Taking the cities and bases means the Tau are done, because their tanks stop working.

And again, what's more efficient for guarding the supply lines? Tanks, which can be easily spotted and taken out? Or entrenched infantry, against which the Tau cannot deploy artillery?
Both actually, especially since you need your supply lines to be...... mobile? What you do is you guard your convoy with a mobile escort and secure your flanks/approaches/ambush positions with a moving screen of forces. So, you would had sent in say a company of infantry to patrol a bridge or other potential ambush position, securing the area for the convoy to move in later, while a mobile force is fixed to the convoy to defend it against raids. You simply cannot defend a MSR against enemy attacks by digging yourself in. Disperse your forces wide enough to cover every mile, and the enemy gets to concentrate his enough to destroy your position.

Which was the point! It won't work unless you reduce/prevent the enemy mobility and the Tau aren't insurgents. They actually have the firepower in any realistic scenario to punch through.
lPeregrine
Jedi Knight

Post by lPeregrine »

Oh FFS, "Tau don't have artillery" is game mechanics. Unless you're going to seriously argue that an interstellar empire in one of the most hostile universes in all of science fiction somehow falls into the "too stupid to live" category, it's absolutely absurd to suggest that no Tau engineer has ever thought "hey, let's put some bombs on a Barracuda". The most likely in-universe explanation, by far, is that the Tau are capable of deploying cheap "dumb" explosive weapons if necessary, but generally prefer to use precision guided weapons in the kind of smaller-scale conflict we see in the fiction.

Also, guided missiles are expensive in 2012. Guided missiles are not necessarily expensive for the Tau. When you're deploying advanced AI on expendable weapon platforms, it's not entirely unreasonable to think that a missile guidance system is so cheap that there's no point in building an artillery shell that doesn't have one.
Wanna stop me? Go ahead and hit my supply lines and bases which are guarded by ample number of troops; they'll just run into entrenched infantry with AT weapons.
That's nice. What are your entrenched troops with infantry-carried heavy weapons going to do when an invisible Remora drone several miles above the battlefield puts a seeker missile into your supply transport?
Taking the cities and bases means the Tau are done, because their tanks stop working.
Not really. Every Tau ground unit that we've seen so far can be carried aboard a Manta and deployed from orbit or from far away from the battlefield. Losing bases on the ground might be inconvenient, but the Tau are perfectly capable of fighting a war directly from an orbiting ship.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, it would work if you sent a hundred million men to carpet an entire continent in bodies. The Imperium can actually do this. But it's such an incredible waste in terms of logistics...

This sounds to me like an idée fixe; Zinegata seem to see "large infantry army can soak up Tau attacks." Then he becomes willing to commit an arbitrarily large infantry army to soak up the attacks of a Tau force so as to neutralize it, rather than offer them any meaningful number of vehicle-based targets. And this persists regardless of the costs of doing things this way, or of violations of military maxims like "he who defends everything, defends nothing."

Suppose the "problem" is one million Tau mechanized troops wandering around one of the border planets making trouble, and cities garrisoned by a mix of Tau fire warriors and (mostly) traitor humans. I don't think Zinegata could come up with a response that didn't involve vastly disproportionate Imperial commitment. Sure, the Imperium can theoretically afford to throw 100 times more men at crushing a Tau force than the Tau put on the ground in the first place. But to do this is to ignore all the huge issues of opportunity cost. It reminds me of "Rocks are NOT free, citizen..."
Rocks are NOT ‘free’, citizen.
Firstly, you must manoeuvre the Emperor’s naval vessel within the asteroid belt, almost assuredly sustaining damage to the Emperor’s ship’s paint from micrometeoroids, while expending the Emperor’s fuel.
Then the Tech Priests must inspect the rock in question to ascertain its worthiness to do the Emperor’s bidding. Should it pass muster, the Emperor’s Servitors must use the Emperor’s auto-scrapers and melta-cutters to prepare the potential ordinance for movement. Finally, the Tech Priests finished, the Emperor’s officers may begin manoeuvring the Emperor’s warship to abut the asteroid at the prepared face (expending yet more of the Emperor’s fuel), and then begin boosting the stone towards the offensive planet.
After a few days of expending a prodigious amount of the Emperor’s fuel to accelerate the asteroid into an orbit more fitting to the Emperor’s desires, the Emperor’s ship may then return to the planet via superluminous warp travel and await the arrival of the stone, still many weeks (or months) away.
After twiddling away the Emperor’s time and eating the Emperor’s food in the wasteful pursuit of making sure that the Emperor’s enemies do not launch a deflection mission, they may finally watch the ordinance impact the planet (assuming that the Emperor’s ship does not need to attempt any last-minute course correction upon the rock, using yet more of the Emperor’s fuel).

Given a typical (class Bravo-CVII) system, we have the following:
Two months, O&M, Titan class warship: 4.2 Million Imperials
Two months, rations, crew of same: 0.2 MI
Two months, Tech Priest pastor: 1.7 MI
Two months, Servitor parish: 0.3 MI
Paint, Titan class warship: 2.5 MI
Dihydrogen peroxide fuel: 0.9 MI
Total: 9.8 MI

Contrasted with the following:
5 warheads, magna-melta: 2.5 MI
One day, O&M, Titan class warship: 0.3 MI
One day, rations, crew of same: 0.0 MI
Dihydrogen peroxide fuel: 0.1 MI
Total: 2.9 MI

Given the same result with under one third of the cost, the Emperor will have saved a massive amount of His most sacred money and almost a full month of time, during which His warship may be bombarding an entirely different planet.
The Emperor, through this – His Office of Imperial Outlays – hereby orders you to attend one (1) week of therapeutic accountancy training/penance. Please report to Areicon IV, Imperial City, Administratum Building CXXI, Room 1456, where you are to sit in the BLUE chair.

For the Emperor,
Bursarius Tenathis,
Purser Level XI,
Imperial Office of Outlays.
In other words, it's not that the plan wouldn't work, just that it's waaay more expensive than other viable methods of doing the same thing (like sending a tenth as many mobile troops, still outnumbering the Tau tremendously, and drowning their fancy-pants railgun vehicles in your own armored cavalry and airborne tank-hunters and stuff.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

lPeregrine wrote:That's nice. What are your entrenched troops with infantry-carried heavy weapons going to do when an invisible Remora drone several miles above the battlefield puts a seeker missile into your supply transport?
To make things even worse, the traditional tactics for infantry against tanks rested on the infantry engaging the tanks from an ambush position. Not a fixed position, as usually, combined arms teams would had either avoided the position or simply suppressed the position with fire before mounting a mechanised assault, or a dismounted attack on the position.

And you don't need indirect artillery to suppress enemy positions. Just a tank with a long range cannon or even their burst cannons, after a initial burst of Skyray missiles to force them to take cover and destroy vulnerable ground equipment.

Its possible to dig in to the extent that such a tactic becomes unfeasible, especially given the scale of Tau resources against the Imperium, but one questions why this means armoured/mechanised units become unimportant against the Tau. The pace of advance is still going to be determined by how fast you move, and this means armour and APCs. Unless you're referring to power armour like Tau Battlesuits and Space Marines.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Simon_Jester wrote:Well, it would work if you sent a hundred million men to carpet an entire continent in bodies. The Imperium can actually do this. But it's such an incredible waste in terms of logistics...

This sounds to me like an idée fixe; Zinegata seem to see "large infantry army can soak up Tau attacks." Then he becomes willing to commit an arbitrarily large infantry army to soak up the attacks of a Tau force so as to neutralize it, rather than offer them any meaningful number of vehicle-based targets. And this persists regardless of the costs of doing things this way, or of violations of military maxims like "he who defends everything, defends nothing."

Suppose the "problem" is one million Tau mechanized troops wandering around one of the border planets making trouble, and cities garrisoned by a mix of Tau fire warriors and (mostly) traitor humans. I don't think Zinegata could come up with a response that didn't involve vastly disproportionate Imperial commitment. Sure, the Imperium can theoretically afford to throw 100 times more men at crushing a Tau force than the Tau put on the ground in the first place. But to do this is to ignore all the huge issues of opportunity cost. It reminds me of "Rocks are NOT free, citizen..."
Its worse than that. Its a fixation on a Tau weakness at the cost of the overall battle/operation.

So, the Tau don't have the ability to fire massed, indirect artillery. What do they lose? Massed artillery fire in tactics means that you're able to suppress enemy fire and movement, destroy concentrations of equipment(that aren't properly protected) and subsequent tactical developments from there.

This doesn't mean the Tau DON"T have those capabilities at all, just that their ability to do so is inferior to the Guard, especially if the Guard deploys the more rarer Deathstrike missiles.

Zinnegata just can't seem to understand that his optimisation actually reduces the Guard abilities to achieve its objectives of conquering a planet. As Gunhead pointed out, the Tau has no reason whatsoever to actually fight a battle where everything is in favour of the Imperium. And if the Imperium can actually force the Tau to do so, having the mobility, armour and firepower that tanks provide would still be better. The Tau, for all its vaunted AP weapons don't have the ability to neutralise the Imperial armour arm effect on the battle. Taros isn't proof of shit, because the IG commander grasp of armour tactics was absymal.

I'm simply trying to understand what he means by "no, I don't mean no tanks" because in every single scenario where armour support, even in the form of halftracks would be useful, he dismisses it. Convoy escort? Nope. offensive? Nope. Defence? Nope. The only arena left is pursuit, and although an ideal mission for tanks, his original objections against an armoured assault would apply just as much here, if not more so.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

lPeregrine wrote:Oh FFS, "Tau don't have artillery" is game mechanics.
We never actually see them in the fluff either, so until the Tau fix that glaring problem you kinda have to acknowledge it's there :P.

Guided missiles will also be ALWAYS more expensive than a dumb arty round. Adding the guidance system + indepdent propellant system will always add cost when an artillery shell is essentially just a pack of high explosives.
That's nice. What are your entrenched troops with infantry-carried heavy weapons going to do when an invisible Remora drone several miles above the battlefield puts a seeker missile into your supply transport?
The Imperium does in fact have AA weaponry, which is not incompatible with being placed with infantry defenses.

Also, if you assume the drones are completely invisible then you're just as helpless if you're using tanks against them. The Tau tanks can scout the Imperial forces at will but the reverse is impossible. Oh noes, lots of burning Imperial tanks as the Tau ambush them at will with their Hellfires!

So really, any scenario that assumes mythical Tau stealth capabilities will end in tears for ANY Imperial force except Space Marines, who can take a Hellfire Missile and shrug it off :p.
Not really. Every Tau ground unit that we've seen so far can be carried aboard a Manta and deployed from orbit or from far away from the battlefield. Losing bases on the ground might be inconvenient, but the Tau are perfectly capable of fighting a war directly from an orbiting ship.
With their puny navy it is pretty doubtful they can maintain orbital superiority. They didn't at Taros.

======
Not really. Again, notice how I said you can't do it at Taros? No water, no large infantry. Have to resort to other tactics.
How about we actually try to plan this war out?

If the Tau are actually able to commit massive forces for once (instead of just a handful of cadres) then obviously we're gonna need more men and a different force mix. Outnumbering them 100:1 is practical if the Tau only have 1,000 troops on the planet and you can just send one oversized conscript regiment (120K troops), but not necessarily if it goes higher.

So, let's assume they have a million mechanized troops plus, what, another million or two garrisoning the cities? So let's say they have three million infantry. Add to that 100,000 vehicles (assuming ten men per APC / tank), which would put the force on an "epic" level scale already.

Since the Imperium is attacking, I can justify having a force at least three times the size of the Tau army (following the standard ratio needed to attack), plus being assured of orbital superiority (again, Tau fleet is small). So at the top end, I can probably requisition 9 million troops, 300,000 tanks and APCs, or some kind of equivalent.

Any idea what the terrain would look like in this hypothetical scenario?

Because from the get-go, unless the terrain makes it impractical, I'm already thinking of trading out some of the infantry and tanks in favor of just getting a Titan Legion. Remember what I said about Titans being most useful against massed targets. Well look at that nice, shiny park of 100,000 Tau Devilfish... :)
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

PainRack wrote: I'm simply trying to understand what he means by "no, I don't mean no tanks" because in every single scenario where armour support, even in the form of halftracks would be useful, he dismisses it. Convoy escort? Nope. offensive? Nope. Defence? Nope. The only arena left is pursuit, and although an ideal mission for tanks, his original objections against an armoured assault would apply just as much here, if not more so.
I actually never dismissed any of them. "Infantry is better at this" is not "You should never use tanks for this!".

You're just an idiot because you keep thinking I did.

Again, read first.
Last edited by Zinegata on 2012-04-24 04:26am, edited 1 time in total.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

PainRack wrote:To make things even worse, the traditional tactics for infantry against tanks rested on the infantry engaging the tanks from an ambush position. Not a fixed position, as usually, combined arms teams would had either avoided the position or simply suppressed the position with fire before mounting a mechanised assault, or a dismounted attack on the position.
If you think a fixed position cannot be a camouflaged ambush position, you're grasping at straws. Why do you think a city is a haven for infantry sheltering against tanks?
And you don't need indirect artillery to suppress enemy positions. Just a tank with a long range cannon or even their burst cannons, after a initial burst of Skyray missiles to force them to take cover and destroy vulnerable ground equipment.
Uh, right. And while your Hammerhead engages one infantry position, it leaves itself exposed to counter-fire because it is using direct fire weapons. What if there's a second unspotted lascannon team? Oops, scratch one Tau Hammerhead.

Tanks are good for helping infantry drive out entrenched infantry, no one is denying that. But you still need sufficient numbers of infantry to make such an assault; a resource which the Tau are short on.

And having artillery to suppress most of these positions before the infantry/tanks move in is also vitally important.
Its possible to dig in to the extent that such a tactic becomes unfeasible, especially given the scale of Tau resources against the Imperium, but one questions why this means armoured/mechanised units become unimportant against the Tau. The pace of advance is still going to be determined by how fast you move, and this means armour and APCs. Unless you're referring to power armour like Tau Battlesuits and Space Marines.
Again, more of this stupidity about "armour/mechanized" as "unimportant". That ain't what I'm saying.

And really, what IS this fetish of yours that "We must beat mech with mech! Because our mech is better!". Sounds like standard Imperial stupidity if you ask me; just ask the Iraqis how fun it was to try to "out mech" a technologically superior force back in '91. :p
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Zinegata wrote: If you think a fixed position cannot be a camouflaged ambush position, you're grasping at straws. Why do you think a city is a haven for infantry sheltering against tanks?
Fixed, positional warfare usually reveals themselves to the enemy through observation. Just look at how well we are documentating the camouflagued postions along the DMZ in Korea.

And of course, this is going to be of value to you defending your supply lines........ why? Or are you suggesting to dig in every twenty kilometers or so along the MSR?

Uh, right. And while your Hammerhead engages one infantry position, it leaves itself exposed to counter-fire because it is using direct fire weapons. What if there's a second unspotted lascannon team? Oops, scratch one Tau Hammerhead.
Then you suppress BOTH. Seriously dude, you got to be kidding me. Or you believe that the ranges of the lascannon teams are superior to the Tau weapons?
Tanks are good for helping infantry drive out entrenched infantry, no one is denying that. But you still need sufficient numbers of infantry to make such an assault; a resource which the Tau are short on.

And having artillery to suppress most of these positions before the infantry/tanks move in is also vitally important.
Which the Tau HAS the ability to do so.
Again, more of this stupidity about "armour/mechanized" as "unimportant". That ain't what I'm saying.

And really, what IS this fetish of yours that "We must beat mech with mech! Because our mech is better!". Sounds like standard Imperial stupidity if you ask me; just ask the Iraqis how fun it was to try to "out mech" a technologically superior force back in '91. :p
So just WHAT are you saying? You're not advocating the use of armour/mechanised forces in attack or defence or any of the roles they play on the battlefield. You suggested using large infantry forces to advance on an attack against the Tau, and you suggested using large infantry forces supported with heavy weapons to defend your positions and supply routes.

Perhaps you're trying to say you will move infantry to do aggressive patrolling to defend your supply lines and dig in as neccessary, but any joker who actually did patrols before will tell you how exhausting it is, especially if you're lugging a LAW around.

As for "beat mech with mech" and the Iraqis, that's a totally stupid analogy. The Guard aren't insurgents, and neither are the Tau. The Guard armour and mechanised forces aren't utterly neutralised by the Tau AP weapons.
I actually never dismissed any of them. "Infantry is better at this" is not "You should never use tanks for this!".

You're just an idiot because you keep thinking I did.

Again, read first.
AGAIN. Infantry AREN"T better at this against the Tau. For fuck sake. You been dismissing the fact that the Tau has the ability to suppress and interdict Guard forces, that the IG armoured/mechanised units offer them mobility, firepower and more protection, along with speed on a strategic level than just pure infantry units and these capabilities aren't magically lost just because the Tau has superior AP abilities for how many posts now?

I even fucking addressed the Guard has orbital superiority nonsense. Sure, the Guard has orbital superiority, now, how does this actually affect ground operations, to the extent that armoured/mechanised units are inferior to large infantry units in engaging the Tau? You NEED orbital superiority in your scenario just to hope to pin down the Tau army and destroy its ability to fight. With just parity and a secure space/ground and logistic network, a combined arms group using armoured tactics would still have the ability to pin down and destroy the Tau army.

There isn't any realistic savings here, its not as if Leman Russ are the economic equivalent of Battlemechs! Indeed, given again, the mobility and firepower provided by said tanks, its going to be more easier to have enough troops everywhere that can force the enemy to fight a pitched battle IF you have sufficient numbers of armoured units on the ground. The Tau excellent AP weapons, shoot and scoot are going to be just as effective, if not more so against an infantry advance, unless you retard their mobility via airpower. And in SUCH a scenario, an attack using tanks in a combined arms method would still give you more firepower and options than an infantry assault.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

PainRack wrote: Fixed, positional warfare usually reveals themselves to the enemy through observation. Just look at how well we are documentating the camouflagued postions along the DMZ in Korea.
You're talking about the DMZ, which has been going on for, what, 50+ years and they still actually don't know all of the North Korean weapons positions?
And of course, this is going to be of value to you defending your supply lines........ why? Or are you suggesting to dig in every twenty kilometers or so along the MSR?
Strong points. If your supply lines can be struck at-will by a fast moving enemy, then you must build defenses along that supply line.
Then you suppress BOTH. Seriously dude, you got to be kidding me. Or you believe that the ranges of the lascannon teams are superior to the Tau weapons?
Except you can't. Because the other lascannon was hidden and already blew up your tank.

Again, artillery exists for a reason - which is to suppress a lot of enemy fire. Plaster the area with explosives and knock out any AT positions you may have missed.
Which the Tau HAS the ability to do so.
Uh, yeah. Because they have Hellfire missiles?

Again, recognize that the biggest battles like Operation Anaconda in the Afghan War involved something like, what, 2000 Taliban fighters?

Whereas Operation Cobra, back in World War 2 required 1,600 bombers dropping something like 8,000 lbs of bombs each? And this is on top of the artillery bombardment? (By comparison, a Hellfire has about 20 lbs of explosives)

The Tau have never demonstrated, in the fluff or on the tabletop, to deliver this amount of explosives necessary to suppress fixed positions on a large scale (large as in you're fighting actual divisions, not 2,000 guys in the mountains).

Their doctrine in fact specifically frowns against delivering massed firepower.
So just WHAT are you saying? You're not advocating the use of armour/mechanised forces in attack or defence or any of the roles they play on the battlefield. You suggested using large infantry forces to advance on an attack against the Tau, and you suggested using large infantry forces supported with heavy weapons to defend your positions and supply routes.
No, I am saying that to fight an enemy with superior mobility, you need to force them to fight a static battle. All the elements of an army still need to be present - infantry, armour, etc - but the point is that the Tau are forced to fight pitched battles at every turn.

===
AGAIN. Infantry AREN"T better at this against the Tau.
Wrong. Again, this is just idiotic assumptions based on the Tau having artillery weapons, which they don't. If you cannot admit that a Hellfire missile shooter is not the same as being able to deliver massed artillery, then we have nothing to talk about. You are simply plainly claiming the Tau have capabilities they do not have - heck even Tau doctrine says out loud that they don't employ these kinds of weapons.

And it again ignores the IG infantry's extensive infantry heavy weapons. Lascannons are suddenly ineffective now? My God man, have you never heard of how anti-tank guns (bigger and less powerful than a lascannon) accounted for more tank losses than any other source in World War 2? Or how about that little fiasco during the Yom Kippur War when the Israelis tried to charge entrenched infantry with modern ATGMs?

Finally, here's a challenge for you: How exactly would you win the Taros campaign with mechanized forces? Chase after the Tau Hunter Cadres in the desert?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Guys? Hang on a second.

Zinegata, could you please just stop, take a breath, calm down, and explain exactly what your strategy looks like here? Because it seems really... undefined. You spend most of your time talking about the merits of dug in infantry positions with heavy weapons as a better way to counter Tau armor than Imperial armor would be. But you also refer to your own armor, except you don't make it clear when you would use armor. And you don't make it clear what kind of methods you use other than "drown them in manpower over the entire area, COIN-style. Be strong enough at every point that they can't accomplish anything without fighting a battle of attrition against dense trench lines."

But to control continent-sized areas COIN-style you really would need millions upon millions of men. Look at the manpower requirements for occupation during World War Two. Or just... do the math. Even forming a single credible defensive line (a real defense that the enemy would actually have trouble crossing at will with a heavily armed strike force) is going to take something upwards of a hundred men per kilometer, probably quite a lot more than this. Just making sure you can form a continuous line that an enemy mechanized force can't outflank and crack the supply lines of will take hundreds of thousands of men unless the geography is insanely favorable.

Saturating an area a thousand kilometers square with men? Now you need even more troops than that.

And this is a fixed requirement that doesn't scale with the size of the enemy force: you need a million men to occupy an area the size of a country to ensure that any Tau force will be pinned down and unable to loop around you to do something. This can very easily lead to you having to send a million men to stop five thousand, because if you only send, say, twenty thousand men they won't be able to do your strategy at all. That's not enough men to protect a fixed line over much distance, let alone to cover their own supply line densely.

So you're always sending huge forces to do things. Sending a million men to stop five thousand is very uneconomical and probably a bad idea. What do you have to say about that?

Also, a campaign fought this way would take a very long time. Marching infantry move slowly and will take a long time to reach their objectives. That goes double if they have to stop and re-entrench constantly to avoid being caught in marching column by enemy mobile forces and strafed to within an inch of their lives.

And as far as I can tell, the main reason you're doing this is because the Tau have marginal superiority when it comes to mobile warfare. But isn't it easier to win at mobile warfare by using, say, a 3:1 numerical superiority to totally swamp their qualitative edge than it is to do it by creating a huge unstoppable horde of army ants that inches toward its objective along a continent-wide front?
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Zinegata wrote: You're talking about the DMZ, which has been going on for, what, 50+ years and they still actually don't know all of the North Korean weapons positions?
Because the Koreans keep building more?

And frankly, I'm sorta lost here. Just what are you trying to argue? If you build a strongpoint, it DOES become very visible. And that's with our sensors now. Wh40k features infantrymen with enough sensors that they can fight each other blind through buildings.
You can conceal such features, but ignoring the complexity of such measures, its literally a huge investment in engineering resources to do...... what?
Strong points. If your supply lines can be struck at-will by a fast moving enemy, then you must build defenses along that supply line.
So, you disperse your men along a 100 kilometer line, weakening your forces in general, allowing the enemy to concentrate and destroy you piecemeal.

Not to mention complicate your logistic network further as you now need to sustain said strongpoints, unless they aren't permament.

This isn't a smart and cheap way to do things.
Except you can't. Because the other lascannon was hidden and already blew up your tank.
Why the fuck no? The freaking Hammerhead has more guns than you do, and its range is LONGER than your lascannons. Unlike the lascannon, its mounted on a tank with more sophsicated sensors and targeting than your basic targeter. The Tau aren't idiots who just waltz around into an ambush zone.

Such a scenario can happen sure, but only idiots, or the IJN expects a perfect scenario to happen in battle.

And unlike the tabletop, the Tau railgun would be able to inflict collateral damage. Hell, its fast enough that its supposedly ionise the air and it shot through a bus.
Again, artillery exists for a reason - which is to suppress a lot of enemy fire. Plaster the area with explosives and knock out any AT positions you may have missed.
Shit. Not this again. Here's the thing. There's many ways to skin a cat. Just because the Tau don't have access to large amounts of massed artillery tubes does NOT MEAN THEY LACK THE ABILITY TO SUPPRESS ENEMY FIRE OR INTERDICT ENEMY FORCES!

The Skyray missiles show that they do have this capability, and the nice thing about a mechanised attack is that you bring your own firepower with you that's add to suppression fire on the go.
Again, recognize that the biggest battles like Operation Anaconda in the Afghan War involved something like, what, 2000 Taliban fighters?

Whereas Operation Cobra, back in World War 2 required 1,600 bombers dropping something like 8,000 lbs of bombs each? And this is on top of the artillery bombardment? (By comparison, a Hellfire has about 20 lbs of explosives)

The Tau have never demonstrated, in the fluff or on the tabletop, to deliver this amount of explosives necessary to suppress fixed positions on a large scale (large as in you're fighting actual divisions, not 2,000 guys in the mountains).

Their doctrine in fact specifically frowns against delivering massed firepower.
Short answer from the tactics textbook? Deliver a short sharp barrage that the Tau can unleash due to their Skyrays along with airpower, aimed at disrupting C3, interdiction of movement and destroying vulnerable strongpoints, if not, to suppress them, add suppression fire from the mechanised elements pouring into the position and overrun them to mount a direct assault.

We actually seen the Tau do bits and pieces of this, although the example I'm thinking of is a Cadian armoured regiment in the comics.

if the position is so well entrenched and deep that this can't be done at all, simply avoid or just lay siege to it. Ground in the Wh40k context is worthless. Terrain is only as important as what you plan to do with it. The Tau can simply choose not to advance and attack. IF the Imperium chooses to advance with a pure infantry attack supported by artillery and etc? They're going to suffer severely due to the mobility, range and firepower of the Tau army.

No, I am saying that to fight an enemy with superior mobility, you need to force them to fight a static battle. All the elements of an army still need to be present - infantry, armour, etc - but the point is that the Tau are forced to fight pitched battles at every turn.
How do you plan to do that?

Here's the thing. An army that's as mobile as the Tau, along with Wh40k logistics has the ability to choose which battle they wish to fight and when. Anything you do to actually force them to battle does not require you to reduce your own assets for mobility.

Wrong. Again, this is just idiotic assumptions based on the Tau having artillery weapons, which they don't. If you cannot admit that a Hellfire missile shooter is not the same as being able to deliver massed artillery, then we have nothing to talk about. You are simply plainly claiming the Tau have capabilities they do not have - heck even Tau doctrine says out loud that they don't employ these kinds of weapons.
I'm NOT. I'm simply pointing out that just because the Tau don't have massed artilery tubes doesn't mean they DON"T have the abilities to suppress enemy movement! God damn it, its especially mentioned that the Tau uses their airpower to interdict enemy forces, and such a capability means they can do this, even if we ignore their direct fire abilities!

You're too fucking fixated on the form rather than the capabilities.

My God man, have you never heard of how anti-tank guns (bigger and less powerful than a lascannon) accounted for more tank losses than any other source in World War 2? Or how about that little fiasco during the Yom Kippur War when the Israelis tried to charge entrenched infantry with modern ATGMs?
And as I already pointed out, just because the Germans had better AT abilities didn't mean the US and Soviet forces simply abandoned mobile warfare.

This is an argument for combined arms, not for abandoning mobile warfare. The sthick here is that you're arguing that the Tau is deficient in combined arms, in the sense that they're unable to actually kill large numbers of infantry efficiently.

That's a rubbish claim, back it up. You DON"T need explosive rounds to kill infantry, not with Tau weaponery.
Finally, here's a challenge for you: How exactly would you win the Taros campaign with mechanized forces? Chase after the Tau Hunter Cadres in the desert?
Use the Space Marines and orbital support to gain air supremacy by hitting the bases, with air supremacy, you actually know where the enemy is moving at any time, especially in a desert environment. That means you not only can pound them to bits using airpower, you can use your landers and shtick to land strong blocking forces while you sweep in to kill the enemy.

The only thing that prevented this was some air defence network coordinated with Tau interceptors....
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Zinegata wrote:
Tau tanks are essentially a modern MBT with hover capability and slightly less armor, except that it's limited to only AP ammunition. Which is why I'd much rather send Lascannon teams against them then tanks, even the LR Vanquisher has issues against them; much less the standard LR which is really a slow-moving infantry support platform. Again, people need to remember that IG infantry does have extensive AT weapons even without tanks; and the mainline Imperial tank is a primarily an infantry support weapon unless it's one of the specialist variants.
Still those tanks move far faster and are better protected against a variety of secondary effects than infantry while carrying guns that can hurt Tau armor and all this assuming Tau tanks can one shot kill IG tanks nearly always which doesn't seem to be the case. Lascannon teams are are fine and good but become one shot weapons if they can't move once spotted by the enemy. Besides don't Tau tanks have secondary armament to deal with less armored opponents? Aside from the IG tanks sucking seven kinds of ass, just means they should give troops fighting the Tau a higher ratio of Vanquishers.
Zinegata wrote: Hence why I said to have a lot of infantry. Again, assuming that we've got the usual integrated squad HW, that's gonna be a lot of HWs to chew through, and we do know that Tau tanks can be taken down by Krak missiles.
I don't doubt Krak missiles can't take out Tau tanks, I do doubt their effective range vs. Tau tanks secondary armament and I know missile teams cannot come even close to matching the speed of Tau tanks. Having "a lot" of infantry is just vague.
Zinegata wrote: You're misunderstanding "massed infantry" as only "human wave". Again, treat it more like a COIN operation. Have enough troops to BE everywhere. Deny the Tau any room to not fight a pitched battle.
Uuuh.. no, not really. I should have defined it better, I sometimes use terminology I'm used to and sometimes forget people aren't familiar with it. Massed infantry by me refers to massive use of men and material in a large scale conventional conflict and I was specifically thinking cold war here. If I mean human wave, I say human wave. But here's the main problem, if you're trying to be everywhere, you need to be everywhere in such strength that your enemy cannot push through you. Against the Tau you also need to waste a lot of manpower to defend locations that are impassable to you but do not hamper their movement significantly. Even if you have the manpower to do this, you have to also maintain troops in locations that are not easily accessible by your vehicles. This leads to the logistical nightmare I was talking about earlier.
Zinegata wrote: Note how I said Kriegers (who use human wave) attacking the Tau is still "bad" as opposed to "appallingly incompetent".
Human waves against anyone with automatic weapons and armored vehicles = Human wave dies = massive idiocy
Zinegata wrote: Like I keep saying, you should always have some tanks and mech forces (or ideally Air Cav). But force composition should be weighted MUCH more towards manpower.
Ideal force compositions vary wildly by terrain. Thumb rule of infantry is mechanized is the best then motorized then foot for fighting a large scale conventional war. Air Cav works too but for most large scale fights there's usually too little of it and has the traditional drawback of any air moved force of being lightly equipped compared to a land based force.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
lPeregrine
Jedi Knight

Post by lPeregrine »

Zinegata wrote:We never actually see them in the fluff either, so until the Tau fix that glaring problem you kinda have to acknowledge it's there :P.
We don't see them in the fluff because we also don't see the Tau fighting the kind of large-scale conscript horde where precision weapons wouldn't be as effective. Remember, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Also, given how simple it would be to load some "dumb" bombs on a Barracuda, it's pretty absurd to suggest that the Tau have no ability to do it.
Guided missiles will also be ALWAYS more expensive than a dumb arty round. Adding the guidance system + indepdent propellant system will always add cost when an artillery shell is essentially just a pack of high explosives.
Sure, some cost, but enough cost (to a civilization that puts advanced AI on expendable weapon platforms) that it offsets the far superior accuracy? The more relevant factor would be the mass penalty, but that disappears very quickly if you have to fire several artillery shells to take out a target that could be eliminated with a direct hit from a single seeker missile.
The Imperium does in fact have AA weaponry, which is not incompatible with being placed with infantry defenses.
And guess what carries those AA weapons: TANKS.

Obviously you can take a battery of Manticores with AA missiles to defend your supply convoy, but that directly contradicts your "no tanks" rule. You can't have it both ways, if you want to leave all of the tanks at home, you don't get any useful AA defenses.
Also, if you assume the drones are completely invisible then you're just as helpless if you're using tanks against them. The Tau tanks can scout the Imperial forces at will but the reverse is impossible. Oh noes, lots of burning Imperial tanks as the Tau ambush them at will with their Hellfires!
That is not true at all.

First of all, the tanks and mechanized infantry have fewer bodies to feed. Even if we only reduce the supply needs by 50% (larger reduction in food/water offset by fuel needs), if we assume that we have the same logistical support we can now suffer 50% losses from Tau attacks and still keep our troops completely supplied.

Second, since the mechanized army doesn't need to spend vast amounts of time walking from point A to point B, there's a lot less time for the Tau to have Pathfinders to map out all of the supply lines, infiltrate stealth units in every vulnerable location, etc. This is exactly the problem that doomed the Taros invasion, the Imperium sat around doing nothing while the Tau figured out every weakness in their logistics and prepared to exploit it. And guess what: when the horde of idiots walking through the desert got too far away from their landing zone, all their water was blown up.

Even if the mechanized army is no better than the conscript horde at defeating Tau stealth, it leaves itself much less exposed to being destroyed by that stealth.
So really, any scenario that assumes mythical Tau stealth capabilities will end in tears for ANY Imperial force except Space Marines, who can take a Hellfire Missile and shrug it off :p.
You can repeat it as many times as you like, but that doesn't make the "seeker missile = hellfire" claim any more true. Both the models and the fluff suggest that seeker missiles are more like cruise missiles, and probably carry a much larger warhead than a hellfire. Add in anti-infantry submunitions instead of a single anti-tank shaped charge equivalent and you probably have a very effective infantry killer.
With their puny navy it is pretty doubtful they can maintain orbital superiority. They didn't at Taros.
You don't need complete orbital superiority, just some presence in space at all. We're not talking about orbital bombardment on demand (in which case your conscript horde is even more laughable), just the ability to deploy Mantas.

And of course if you're going to assume that the Imperium has uncontested control of space AND a massive advantage in numbers on the ground, well, that doesn't really prove anything besides the fact that if you create a one-sided scenario even stupid armies should be able to find a way to win.
lPeregrine
Jedi Knight

Post by lPeregrine »

Besides don't Tau tanks have secondary armament to deal with less armored opponents?
Yes. Submunition rounds for the main guns, and either a pair of burst cannons (heavy machine gun equivalents) or smart missiles (small indirect-fire missiles). And of course there's always the classic "collapse the building with a shot from the main gun" approach, if we ignore the game mechanics where terrain is indestructible.

So that lascannon team hiding behind cover is likely to be spotted and killed by a smart missile before ever getting line of sight on the Hammerhead.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Apparently the Imperium's missile launchers double as MANPADS. So actually they do have that.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

True, but the fact that the Imperials even bother with self-propelled AAA like the Hydra suggests a deficiency there: shoulder-launched AA missiles may work, but they want something more.