Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." - Abba Eban, Israeli statesman (1915-2002)


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2012-02-21 09:52pm
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2011-04-22 11:04pm
Posts: 4341
Location: Ocularis Terribus.
This week, Chuck at Sfdebris is covering the End of Time and the Elventh Hour as part of his Doctor Who reviews. Out with the old, in with the new.

End of Time pt 1.



"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2012-02-23 02:15pm
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2011-04-22 11:04pm
Posts: 4341
Location: Ocularis Terribus.
And... End of Time part 2 followed by the Elventh Hour.

I wonder if all three were requested by the same person?



"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2012-02-23 02:18pm
Online
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2003-04-10 03:45pm
Posts: 8094
Location: Cheshire, England
Chuck is far too generous to end of time but his Eleventh Hour review was quite good.



Got the Moves, Got the Mojo...
No Harder Working Pony Around

Image
Banner By JME2
EBC - The Limey Bastards

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2012-02-23 02:48pm
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am
Posts: 3973
Location: Victoria, Canada
I think he's more or less right about End of Time. Its got moments of excellence in between long stretches of silliness and mediocrity.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2012-02-23 03:56pm
Online
Castellan
User avatar

Joined: 2010-03-09 03:16pm
Posts: 5369
Location: Bound in a nutshell
Ahriman238 wrote:
And... End of Time part 2 followed by the Elventh Hour.

I wonder if all three were requested by the same person?


They weren't, it says as much in the opening sequences :D



"I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams" - Hamlet

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2012-02-23 05:56pm
Offline
Padawan Learner
User avatar

Joined: 2010-06-15 04:33am
Posts: 378
Location: Estonia.
There is literally only one episode of Doctor Who I hate more than "The End of Time," and that's the one that made me quit watching the series - "Let's Kill Hitler." I'm not saying these two are the absolute worst, but they do create the most antipathy from me.

"The End of Time" is just a masterpiece of crappy, idiotic storytelling. I don't even care about the eye-rolling sentimentality, bits like the Master hopping around like a lunatic hobo and the Time Lords standing around and letting the Doctor pick between several options of stopping them at leisure are flat-out retarded.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2012-02-24 07:32pm
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2011-04-22 11:04pm
Posts: 4341
Location: Ocularis Terribus.
Eternal_Freedom wrote:
They weren't, it says as much in the opening sequences :D


Yeah, I'm observant. Probably he wanted to get all three requests out of the way at once.

I admit to liking the idea that the Doctor, immediatly after saving the world turns around and sacrifices his 'life' (as Ten anyway) for a funny old man. Because that's just how the Doctor rolls. I can forgive the sentimentality, as I understand it they set out to make a big deal of the regeneration largely because RTD remembered the show making a huge deal out of it when he was a kid.

Other thanj that, it was silly (but it's a silly show) and largely pointless. And I still refuse to buy that Tim Dalton's character was the genuine Rassilon.



"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2012-02-24 09:49pm
Online
Castellan
User avatar

Joined: 2010-03-09 03:16pm
Posts: 5369
Location: Bound in a nutshell
Dalton was really wasted in this story. I could have easily bought him as atime Lord, even the Lord President, just not as a comically evil "we'll blow up the universe" guy. Damnit.



"I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams" - Hamlet

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2012-02-24 10:47pm
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2011-04-22 11:04pm
Posts: 4341
Location: Ocularis Terribus.
Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Dalton was really wasted in this story. I could have easily bought him as atime Lord, even the Lord President, just not as a comically evil "we'll blow up the universe" guy. Damnit.


Why not? He almost killed the Bond franchise.

Actually, I was thinking more in terms that the man who constructed an elaborate trap to eliminate any time lord who tried to become an immortal tyrant would want to destroy the entire universe (and casually execute other time lords) purely out of concern for his own life. Does that strike nayone else as more than faintly ridiculous?



"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2012-02-25 04:25am
Offline
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
User avatar

Joined: 2003-04-30 12:33pm
Posts: 3743
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...
For me, End of Time was Stolen Earth / Journey's End's little brother, everything negative you find in End of Time, you can find in greater quantities in SE/JE. You had a previously feared enemy being treated like the Borg on voyager, scaled up but scaled down at the same time, you had all the cameos, everyone brought back together, even the irritating ones (90% of all RTD characters were irritating), a disappointing buildup from the previous series and frankly awful resolutions and plot. I'd be interested to see if Chuck is as considerate to SE/JE as he was to EoT.

However, I did very much appreciate Chuck's point about fairy tales - that was an interesting and very legitimate point which I'd not thought about before.



Image


"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2012-02-27 11:16pm
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2011-04-22 11:04pm
Posts: 4341
Location: Ocularis Terribus.
Ah, apparently it's a Doctor Who Theme month. Continuing with Vincent and the Doctor and finishing this Wednesday with the Doctor's Wife.



"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2012-02-29 09:07pm
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2011-04-22 11:04pm
Posts: 4341
Location: Ocularis Terribus.
The Doctor's Wife is up. I hadn't known the episode was written by Neil Gaiman but... now that I know, I feel like I really should have noticed before.

Image



"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2013-03-22 07:49pm
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2011-04-22 11:04pm
Posts: 4341
Location: Ocularis Terribus.
Chuck's doing a section on the Fourth Doctor's run, specifically the first semi-linked stories. Ark in Space is up, The Sontaran Experiment follows, and Genesis of the Daleks is in four days.

I confess the only Colin Baker stories I've seen are Genesis of the Daleks, Pyramids of Mars, and the alien plant in the arctic one.



"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2013-03-22 08:03pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 09:56pm
Posts: 36168
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Man, that's pretty embarrassing.

So did people pay for these episodes in the hope of finding something redeeming in them or what?



Elfdart wrote:
my first manager and I spent the better part of an hour in his office asking an insanely hot female employee to go through the "B" authors in the Lit section. Why? Because that would make her climb up on the ladder right where the security camera was and gave us a perfect view of her perfect gazongas
whatisprojectzohar.com

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2013-03-27 01:30pm
Offline
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-10 01:16am
Posts: 6515
Location: Weber State of Construction University
Ahriman238 wrote:
Chuck's doing a section on the Fourth Doctor's run, specifically the first semi-linked stories. Ark in Space is up, The Sontaran Experiment follows, and Genesis of the Daleks is in four days.

I confess the only Colin Baker stories I've seen are Genesis of the Daleks, Pyramids of Mars, and the alien plant in the arctic one.


That's TOM Baker. Colin was # 6.

the 4th Doctor had some of the best storylines ever on the show.



Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2013-03-27 09:51pm
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2011-04-22 11:04pm
Posts: 4341
Location: Ocularis Terribus.
I stand corrected. The only COLIN Baker episode I've ever seen was the trial one. Sort of convinced me not to look any further into his run.

Anywho Genesis of the Daleks is up. I liked most of the story when I saw it, though I did come by it retroactively. I really liked the atmosphere of it even when I had to keep from laughing at the goofy Mutos and the giant clams.

What I didn't like so much was the pat ending where the Doctor claims the Daleks are a force of good in the universe too. He brought it up earlier when fiddling with the wires, how ancient enemies have made peace (so they can avoid extermination. It rarely works out for them) because of the Daleks and so on. That felt like a cop out, in an episode that had been doing so well at avoiding them. Well, that's my two cents anyway.



"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2013-03-27 09:57pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 09:56pm
Posts: 36168
Location: Brisbane, Australia
God, grow a backbone. Its the internet, you don't have to follow your opinions with softening escape clauses. Heaps of people hate the message of Genesis, but I don't think most of them really know what it is because they're idiots who think the Doctor is speaking to them when he's clearly speaking to himself.



Elfdart wrote:
my first manager and I spent the better part of an hour in his office asking an insanely hot female employee to go through the "B" authors in the Lit section. Why? Because that would make her climb up on the ladder right where the security camera was and gave us a perfect view of her perfect gazongas
whatisprojectzohar.com

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2013-03-27 11:08pm
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2011-04-22 11:04pm
Posts: 4341
Location: Ocularis Terribus.
Of course the Doctor is talking to himself, more than the audience or his companions anyway, but it still feels like he's reaching for an excuse not to do it.



"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2013-03-27 11:13pm
Offline
SD.net White Wizard
User avatar

Joined: 2002-09-16 11:13pm
Posts: 12729
Location: A video store in Sydney, Australia
Ahriman238 wrote:
Of course the Doctor is talking to himself, more than the audience or his companions anyway, but it still feels like he's reaching for an excuse not to do it.


You say "person has trouble committing genocide" as though it's a bad thing.



"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin

"People tell me, 'Bill, let it go. The Kennedy assassination was years ago. It was just the assassination of a President and the hijacking of our government by a totalitarian regime — who cares? Just let it go.' I say, 'All right then. That whole Jesus thing? Let it go! It was 2,000 years ago! Who cares?'"
- Bill Hicks

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2013-03-27 11:28pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 09:56pm
Posts: 36168
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Totally; he does the same thing in Parting of the Ways too. Turns out, he's not a callous mass murderer and sending him was a stupid idea from the get-go. I like to think of the Time Lord he talks to as Dylan from Predator. You made trouble about the cover story - you're the only one that can do it. PUSHING TOO MANY PENCILS.

This stuff is called 'character' and 'drama'. :V



Elfdart wrote:
my first manager and I spent the better part of an hour in his office asking an insanely hot female employee to go through the "B" authors in the Lit section. Why? Because that would make her climb up on the ladder right where the security camera was and gave us a perfect view of her perfect gazongas
whatisprojectzohar.com

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2013-03-27 11:59pm
Offline
Sith Acolyte
User avatar

Joined: 2002-12-13 03:56pm
Posts: 5213
Location: America's decaying industrial armpit.
with regards to Parting of the ways, I've always understood why the doctor made the decision that he did in the end, but i've never been able to, I don't know, Agree with it?

I mean the way they played up the Daleks in the story (and this was really the fist Dr. Who story I got into, so all I knew about the Daleks beforehand was what i'd seen on SDN.) it basically seemed like a choice of "kill the daleks" or "daleks destroy the universe." It never really felt like the Doctor was saving anyone by not pushing the button at the end, it was just something he did because his ninth incarnation was basically completely fucked up from the Time War. It always seemed like, if a more rational and well-adjusted version of the Doctor was in the same situation, he would've acted differently.



And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2013-03-28 12:05am
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 09:56pm
Posts: 36168
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Drama isn't about 'agreeing with it' once you turn five. If all you look for is validation for your own existing ideas or agreement with your own beliefs, why not just talk to yourself? Your breakdown of the options before the Doctor highlights a complete ignorance of context, character, and consequence.

Its frankly fucking sad - FUCKING SAD - that you honestly have to think to yourself 'if he wasn't horribly traumatised by his previous genocide he would have genocided no worries' because you simply can't internalise the idea that a fictional character would have different values to you. You see what happens, and you have to explain it away because you don't like it. Its not just a superficial or childish way to look at art, but actively ignores or covers up the meaning that you experienced but chose to repress.



Elfdart wrote:
my first manager and I spent the better part of an hour in his office asking an insanely hot female employee to go through the "B" authors in the Lit section. Why? Because that would make her climb up on the ladder right where the security camera was and gave us a perfect view of her perfect gazongas
whatisprojectzohar.com

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2013-03-28 12:27am
Offline
Sith Acolyte
User avatar

Joined: 2002-12-13 03:56pm
Posts: 5213
Location: America's decaying industrial armpit.
would you care to explain this "meaning" I apparently missed because I disagree with allowing the entire universe to die at Dalek hands?



And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2013-03-28 12:32am
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 09:56pm
Posts: 36168
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Putting aside you inventing that outcome (and, amusingly, have been emotionally manipulated into a false dilemma like the Doctor, without the excuse of PTSD), he made a choice. He chose to be a 'coward' rather than a 'killer' because he couldn't live with being a killer. You apparently reject this, despite being aware of it, because you believe it is 'wrong' and that this causes you some kind of anxiety.

He (similarly) made a 'wrong' decision in Genesis, and during the Time War, and over and over during his life. Every time he chooses to be a killer he suffers, until in the Time War it basically drives him insane and he would rather be dead. You know all this... but can't get past 'but it's wrong I don't agree' and simply experience it.



Elfdart wrote:
my first manager and I spent the better part of an hour in his office asking an insanely hot female employee to go through the "B" authors in the Lit section. Why? Because that would make her climb up on the ladder right where the security camera was and gave us a perfect view of her perfect gazongas
whatisprojectzohar.com

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Chuck PostPosted: 2013-03-28 07:44am
Online
Castellan
User avatar

Joined: 2010-03-09 03:16pm
Posts: 5369
Location: Bound in a nutshell
As Chuck pointed out, in Genesis he isn't just considering committing genocide, he's also messing with history on an enormous scale, something that was drilled into him as "you must not do" for all his lives. That's gotta weigh pretty heavily on a Time Lord.



"I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams" - Hamlet

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group