ASVS-HN: Allow Me to Retort

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Phil Skayhan
Jedi Knight

ASVS-HN: Allow Me to Retort

Post by Phil Skayhan »

Alternate title: Shades of Traviss

http://www.skayhan.net/

The article in question was enough to drag me out of "retirement". I'll be honest and say it's not my finest work (I'm a little out of practice), but it's ok for a first go at a new target.
Happily married gay couples with closets full of assault weapons. That's my vision for America
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: ASVS-HN: Allow Me to Retort

Post by Thanas »

Anybody who namedrops Victor Davis Hanson and thinks it makes him look smart is an idiot anyway.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Thanas wrote:Anybody who namedrops Victor Davis Hanson and thinks it makes him look smart is an idiot anyway.
Thanas, are you telling me you have no snarky remark to exploit this shrill's statement of "Do you imagine Victor Davis Hanson is some kind of font of boring zombie lore?" :P

Though to the writer I'd remark that Mr. Hanson is in fact a Star Wars fan, or at least has used Star Wars references in stuff of his I've read, and spends his spare time dabbling in conservative politics when he should really be focusing on his area of expertise (and I think he runs his family's vineyards too).
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Do you imagine Victor Davis Hanson is some kind of font of boring zombie lore?
Does knowledge of the inner workings of the Republican Party count?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Steve wrote:Though to the writer I'd remark that Mr. Hanson is in fact a Star Wars fan, or at least has used Star Wars references in stuff of his I've read, and spends his spare time dabbling in conservative politics when he should really be focusing on his area of expertise (and I think he runs his family's vineyards too).
No no. Everybody in his area of "expertise" wishes that he would spend more time with his dabbling in politics.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Thanas wrote:
Steve wrote:Though to the writer I'd remark that Mr. Hanson is in fact a Star Wars fan, or at least has used Star Wars references in stuff of his I've read, and spends his spare time dabbling in conservative politics when he should really be focusing on his area of expertise (and I think he runs his family's vineyards too).
No no. Everybody in his area of "expertise" wishes that he would spend more time with his dabbling in politics.
Oh come on,if he focused on his academic stuff, he might get better.

(I actually would be interested in hearing your views on his work in classical scholarship, in terms of what is considered wrong with them, but this isn't the thread really. Maybe I should start a thread in History.)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

I can help but feel that Miss Shaidle is a willfully ignorant moron, I work in the IT/tech support industry as an L1 (Low level Tech), and as such I'm usually the first person a lot of prominent businessmen go through first before going up the latter to L2/L3s, sometimes I'll get VARs on the phone, and sometimes there are instances where we're just waiting... for what ever... and almost always we'll start up a friendly conversation, and I'll say 6 times out 10 it usually ends up over in star wars or star trek land, I kid you not, hell I've talked to people who have gaming machines setup in their offices, fuck I've got or rather had up until recently a gaming PC setup in my office... Fuck her and her nerds are losers attitude... That article pisses me off so much :evil: