Re: Farscape Re: Nerd Level

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Re: Farscape Re: Nerd Level

Post by Thanas »

Cowl wrote:That would be the bandwagon fallacy, and I fail to see how you've acquired a representative number of people to solidify your argument. But I'm more to willing to agree that we harbor different opinions on the matter, it's of no importance.
Whatever, dude.
No, she had no back-up plan. As evidenced by her reaction when Chrichton pulled it. Besides, she had earlier had to flee, suggesting she was powerless against the Grudeks. And her fight with Chiana was pitiful.
If she was Sebacean, Luxan, Human or Nebari she would have already bled to death and/or been in a state of shock, bordering on death. Instead she took out the Nebari in two kicks.
Yes. And if she was a luxan, she won that fight. Man.
No, not really, considering nobody ever explained a damned thing to her.
That was shown on screen you mean?
Yes, it was in fact shown on screen how the crew rejected her at every turn and did not explain anything. Like the chiana "baggage" speech.

Perhaps her proximity to lesser beings has that effect on the Kalish?
Oh, I see. It is chrichton's fault now that she is arrogant.
Like not overheating in the midst of a battle?
When has Scorpius done so? Sikozu, thanks to her ability, is the one overheating. Two can play that game.
Actors/actresses typically tow the line, in order to better sell the product.
Man, you don't really know much about the farscape fandom, do you? There are people who were and still are in communication with the actors. People expressed disappointment with the storylines openly and in public if they had some.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

@Cowl

Sorry to nitpick but it's Crichton not Chrichton.

Regarding Leviathan weaponization the ancient race that designed them were very strict about keeping them unarmed. The Leviathans were supposed to be peaceful beasts that can not be armed, they were carefully designed such that they can not support any conceivable weaponry. When word of Talyn got out one of the Builders even attempted to track down Moya and decommision her because she can now be used to produce armed Leviathans.

Crais mentioned that Talyn was a hybrid of warship and Leviathan technology. This was how Peacekeepers managed to produce an armed Leviathan. He was a new breed. Arming a conventional Leviathan was fruitless even with the vast resources of the Peacekeepers, much less the ragtag crew of Moya. This was what made Talyn such a big deal in the Farscape universe, there was now finally a working armed Leviathan out there. Everybody was after it.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Also Moya was alive, aware and didn't want guns bolted to her face.
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

Cowl wrote:When such vulnerability is felt, one would normally retreat to a place of solitude, or perhaps a close confidant, in order to solicit commiseration. The hallway in front of Crais' cell does not enter into the equation. And 'guy talk' would not be suitable as a social pretext.
OR when someone has spent the last year going through hell they'll want to confront the person who put them through it and might not be able to keep their emotions in check. Get the rocks out of your head.
Cowl wrote:I wouldn't even have thought to compare the two.
Christ you're thick. You stated that scene screamed "We're different! He's not just an action hero!" If you weren't talking about him crying and breaking down emotionally then what the fuck were you talking about?
Cowl wrote:And rewatching the scene in question I now recall why it was so ludicrous. It was a shameless plot device to get both of them to work together.
:lol: This is getting too funny. Yeah, it's totally inconceivable that after Crais has everything he holds dear stripped from him and is forced to flee that he would empathize with those he has wronged. And there's no way Crais would have worked with the crew if not for that scene. It's not like he went to Moya willingly because his neck was on the line. And of course Crais was a loyal comrade of Crichton's after that scene and he totally doesn't backstab the crew before the end of the episode.
Cowl wrote:Perhaps if you had chosen the scene where Picard starts to bawl/rage/whatever in First Contact, I would have agreed to some similarities. In that it was both out of character, and ludicrous.
See above, thicky. You've demonstrated that you have limited understanding of human emotion and thought processes, so you calling something out of character really doesn't carry much weight.
Cowl wrote:Nice try, but it wasn't 4 minutes (some episodes were 52 minutes, whereas some episodes in the later seasons could be as short as 40), nor was it meant to signify a 'massive shift'. Changes were made, some for the better, other for the worse.
Observe, brainiac. The season 1 episodes are approximately 48 minutes and 28 seconds while the rest are approximately 44 minutes and 7 seconds. Have fun with your creative math to make that into a difference of twelve minutes.
Cowl wrote:Changes in the appearance of a character at the start of a new season, when accompanied with additional changes in the format, are not something easily ignored.
Except he started wearing the Peackeeper outfits several episodes before the new season. And funny, I managed to ignore it fairly easily, or at least not read so much nonsense into it, as did everyone I ever watched the series with.
Cowl wrote:He betrayed both the Scarrans and Peacekeepers numerous times,
Funny how you fail to name any specifics. And don't try citing the revelation that Scorpius was a spy for the Scarrans but was actually a double agent. That doesn't disprove his loyalty to the Peacekeepers and more importantly no one knew about it until the end of the series.
Cowl wrote:and ran a secret ops facility in a ruthless military hierarchy where backstabbing and duplicity were of the order of the day.
A facility he ran to serve the Peacekeepers.
Cowl wrote:And both Natira and Scorpius had cause to distrust each other, as was hinted at in the episode in question. Betrayal is a given.
Yeah, a total given. That's why he betrayed Braca... oh right. So what if they distrusted each other? Natira attempted to kill Scorpius first so his plan to kill her is not a betrayal.
Cowl wrote:The Farscape equivalents to 'mines' and 'missiles'. I'm sure the writers would have found something suitable.
What part of this aren't you understanding? Yes, the writers could have found a way to do it. No fucking durrrr. They also could have found a way to hook Moya up with the Flax or give Crichton access to the planet-killing wormhole weapons. They didn't want to because it wouldn't mesh well with either Moya's character or the premise of the show. So the only question is whether or not it makes sense in universe for them to not want to or not be able to weaponize Moya, which it does as has been repeatedly demonstrated to you by numerous people.
Cowl wrote:And I believe in one episode the Peacekeepers were able to track Moya, despite the starburst mechanism. In another episode starburst would not function at all, as they were in a nebula system (whatever) of some sort.
It was the Scarrans who were able to track them because of the Aeryn doppelganger, and a weapons system would do jack shit to keep them from being tracked. And once again you're incredibly vague about some episode with a nebula herpa derp.
Cowl wrote:Lovely sentiments, but if the writers would have taken this avenue, I'm sure that they would have written an appropriate story line.
No shit Sherlock. They also could have fashioned up a story where Crichton becomes a vampire. Doesn't mean it's a bad show because they chose not to.
Cowl wrote:It's a big universe, perhaps it was simply not economically viable for the Peacekeepers to militarize them in another way. But as you say, they received a substantial amount of wealth at some point, which they could have utilized for equipping suitable armaments. And Moya's sentiments would have been an interesting plot line.
Or perhaps it's not viable at all! The peacekeepers had several failed attempts to create a leviathan hybrid where both mother and child died. The project cost them huge resources. All I said is that until season 3 they are dirt poor. While Rygel claims they are "Rich, rich, rich, rich!" after the Shadow Depository, they don't do a whole lot with their riches. Divided amongst them they most likely only had enough to live comfortably for the foreseeable future and to pay for the occasional emergency, and not enough to pay for a massive engineering feat that the Peacekeepers couldn't pull off.
Cowl wrote:Who said anything about a death canon?
You are proposing weaponizing Moya and you think the builders would drag Moya back to be laid to rest if Zhaan were out of the neighborhood but think they would be hunky dory with Moya being used in the manner that they originally killed her for?
Cowl wrote:And I believe it was hinted at that Zhaan was still looking over the vessel.
And I believe you should cite specifics or shut up. Stark, the fucking crazy guy, heard her calling to him while he was on Talyn, and he vamoosed in search of her. If she were in such close contact with Moya then it's funny that he doesn't come near Moya again until they come find him. Yeah, she's just going to pop into existence from beyond the grave and say "Cut that shit out!" Funny how she was totally silent when Crichton decided to threaten people with a nuclear bomb, or when he detonated said bomb, or when he opened up a massive wormhole to tear a solar system apart. Funny how she chose not to warn them that Scorpius was still alive, or that Aeryn was pregnant, or that the Ancients were going to drag Moya into a wormhole and leave John stranded.
Cowl wrote:Fascinating read, but if you would care to look up the line in question, you would see that I had written that they were at their 'strongest' and thus had more striking capability -- a point of observation that is not easily misread. Never did I suggest that they were an elite space-Jihadist movement, with Osama bin Crichton running a pan-galactic terrorist network.
No, you stated that they should be able to survive more complicated altercations and conflicts, which they DO you evasive prick. How much more complicated should the altercations they survive be?
Cowl wrote:At one point he was looking in the camera.
Then it's the fault of the fucking director or the editor that they used that take. You think the likes of Jack Nicholson or Meryl Streep have never accidentally looked into the camera?
Cowl wrote:You seem to be too emotionally invested in this discussion.
Style over substance, douchebag. I'm getting my fill of mockery of stupid people.
Cowl wrote:And yes, a haircut could mean quite a lot on screen. I need only look to Nicolas Cage and his crazy bird-nest haircuts.
:roll: Yes, Kick-Ass is totally dragged down by Nicholas Cage's hair. Do you listen to yourself?
Cowl wrote:Avatar? How old are you again?
24, and if you actually had an ounce of perspective you would know that Avatar is a well written show with a large adult following including the douchebag who made the movie and the people on this board. My girlfriend likes it as well. That's my female adult girlfriend with boobs who I have sex with. I have several friends who like it as well. Those are adult friends who I socialize with and are well rounded human beings. So how about you drop the ad hominem and answer the point you dishonest fuckwad?
Cowl wrote:Anyway, I believe this discussion has run its course. :mrgreen:
Yes, you've proven you're a moron quite sufficiently.
CUE
Redshirt

Post by CUE »

Dread Not, that was an entertaining rip, lol.

To the OP: I think Farscape is well worth your time. There are some lackluster episodes but even those contain some great comic relief. The character development and interactions are great. The sets are mostly awesome and completely original.. pretty much all of NUA's points. The cliff hanger is a beat though and the Peace Keeper Wars mini series isn't available on watch it now, much to my chagrin.
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.
JGB
Redshirt

Post by JGB »

I just watched most of the series on Netflix because of all the rave reviews. It got really good. I lost sleep because i had to "watch just one more."

Is the Peacekeeper Wars worth tracking down on DVD? I would prefer blu-ray, but it doesn't look likely.