Re: Farscape Re: Nerd Level

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

So as I plow towards the end of DS9 on Netflix, I have been looking for some good sci-fi to follow up with.

I am not looking for something as well done as DS9, as I don't believe it exists, however, I want good.

So how does Farscape look? Also what is the Nerd Level I would attain by watching Farscape in like a week?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Farscape is pretty cool. Some of the character writing feels a little schizophrenic at times, and D'Argo is a bit cliche, but on the whole it's pretty fun.

(Series Stinker: that episode where Crichton is stranded on Pacific Island Planet. Skip that one)
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Re: Re: Farscape Re: Nerd Level

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Farscape is lots of fun, good mix of serious business and funny.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Havok wrote:So as I plow towards the end of DS9 on Netflix, I have been looking for some good sci-fi to follow up with.

I am not looking for something as well done as DS9, as I don't believe it exists, however, I want good.

So how does Farscape look? Also what is the Nerd Level I would attain by watching Farscape in like a week?
Farscape wasn't that great. Space Above and Beyond is good in a rediculous WWII in Space kinda way, B5 if you've never watched that and like characters that have actual depth.
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Be prepared to hate Stark and/or Zhaan. At least, I thought they got incredibly obnoxious.

Good series, though. Plenty of decent comedy. Some the character drama can vary from excellent to stupid, with each season having it's fair share of idiotic episodes. Scorpious elevates the show quite considerably when he enters at the end of season 1, which is where the series really picks up.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Really Legend of the Galactic Heroes is the way to go if you want both maximum entertainment and maximum nerd cred.

But as far as Netflix goes if they have Space Above and Beyond that is a very good mention too, though I liked Farscape better.

Seaquest if you need a laugh or two.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Haha! Seaquest! Watch the shit out of that. Man, especially the one with the time travelling and robits and shit. And Sam Raimi's brother, oh yes. Great series.
— Carl Sagan

Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

I liked that show when it was just the US and Europe vs the Pan Pacific federation thing. Then there were Aliens, time travel, Mark Hamill showed up for some reason, I had no idea what was going on.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

The seaquest where the guy got in trouble for getting illegal hamburger since eating beef was banned, total laugh.

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Logh is forever ruined by nerds 'discovering' it a few years ago

But man when does Farscape get 'good' because sherry has it right here and it's appallingly terrible

But man 'as well done as ds9' is horrifying
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

What'd you not like about it?
— Carl Sagan

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

There didn't seem to be any hook, a range of uninvovling characters, a plot I didn't care about, etc. mobviously this shows I didn't engage with it, but sherry tells me it gets 'better' later on. I'd just rather not waste my time.
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Yeah, fair enough. It does pick up when they introduce Scorpious as a villain and the characters begin actually getting along better. But it is a full season of subpar story lines to slog through. Maybe just watch the three leading up to the season finale? Those are the only ones that matter.
— Carl Sagan

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

What's this 'peacekeeper war' written on some of the dvds, is that like a miniseries or something?
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

The series was cancelled before the creators finished their story line (it ended with a massive cliffhanger), so they eventually got Sci-Fi to greenlight a TV movie to finish it off.
— Carl Sagan

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

And of course they did not manage to finish all the storylines, meaning they had to get a comic series to finish those off... :lol:
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Ha. Oh, yes. The parallels, they burn.
— Carl Sagan

Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Darth Fanboy wrote: Seaquest if you need a laugh or two.
First season seaQuest is pretty good for a 90s sci-fi TV show. Just stop watching after first season ends, it's a workable ending to the show (well, a lot better than any of the other season endings) and dodges the terrible shit that came in the second and third seasons.
Erik von Nein wrote:Haha! Seaquest! Watch the shit out of that. Man, especially the one with the time travelling and robits and shit.
Both of those happened in the terrible second season, along with meeting some undersea god or something, and killer plants, a giant crocodile, demons, a telepathic ship's doctor with the hots for the captain, and other really godawfully dumb shit.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

also consider Brisco County Jr
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

No.

I saw Space: Above and Beyond when it originally aired. Not bad.

I don't like that Stark doesn't like DS9. :(
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

tbh i don't think you can like it if you don't already like st, because its so full of st standards which are just really tiresome to everyone who isn't brainwashed by 40 years of st
either that or maybe every episode i ever saw was 'a crap episode'

since two of them revolved around obrien this seems likely
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah, the O'Brien episodes were bad. The best character stories revolve around Kira, Odo and Bashir IMO.

I suggest you watch "Duet". Watch that episode till the end and then you will have seen what a good character piece from DS9 looks like.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Stark wrote:Logh is forever ruined by nerds 'discovering' it a few years ago
don't kill your dreams

i still believe in Job Trunicht
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Patriotic Knight Corps represent.

I feel bad about saying that even as a joke.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

they were defeated with an automated water cannon turret
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。