2022, $300 oil [RAR]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Korto
Jedi Master

Re: 2022, $300 oil [RAR]

Post by Korto »

Sitting at home at the breakfast table.
Susie's been doing a lot more with eggs these days. Not surprising with the cost of meat. Eggs are cheap.
A smiling glance at the hens hanging around the back door, hoping for a few scraps thrown their way. While I've had chooks for more than a decade now, more and more people were getting a few to try and cut their food bills.

"Price of cement's going up. Gas, too" Annoying news, hitting both my concrete moulding, and metal casting. Oil's to blame; with the demand for other fuels increasing to replace oil, anything done with any fuel is going up.
"Is that a problem?"
"Not really. I'll do what I can with the furnace; some more insulation and maybe lengthen the air intake/exhaust to scrounge back some more heat. Not a lot I can do about the cement, but they're just small garden ornaments, the cement is only a tiny part of the price anyway. May raise my prices a bit; prices are going up everywhere, so no-one will notice"
Fortunately, the economy's going strong with the demand for coal and gas, which we're finally getting decent value for once the government was forced to find its balls and push through a decent mining tax. Mean's they've been able to keep my carer's pension up with their presumed cost of living; as our cost of living has always been less, it's profit.
I smile sadly as I remember the old Ural. Finally got around to getting it running after years, and then promptly had to sell it to a collector; it was just too fuel-hungry; kept the postie*. Use the buses normally, however, although the price for that has gone up, it's nothing compared to the cost of fuel.
With the cost of everything, things are being expected to last again. The "Throw away" society is becoming unfashionable, and workmanship is regaining respect. People are repairing things again, and things are being made so they can be repaired. While electronics still have "Stand By" on remote, there's also a "Hard Off".

*Postie bike, Honda CT110 (105cc), about 35km/l (82mpg in US speak). Cute things. Pity mine eats chains.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor