DW "The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe" [SPOILERS]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

How do you rate it?

5/5 - Excellent!
10%
4/5 - Pretty good
40%
3/5 - Acceptable
24%
2/5 - Distinctly Sub-Par
10%
1-5 - Shite
10%
0/5 - Eurgh, why did I bother watching it?
6%

Total votes: 50

Parallax
Jedi Knight

Re: DW "The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe" [SPOILERS]

Post by Parallax »

I assume that the Earth Empire's want for energy resources over-rode any sentimentality or ethics involved in racial genocide.
I initially thought that maybe the Humans simply didn't know the trees were sentient but that seems hard to believe since the trees not only knew about space travel ... but also the next level up on how to enter the Time Vortex (which not that many species actually can do).
Cesario
Subhuman Pedophilia Advocate

Post by Cesario »

I just assumed that we're dealing with the "incredibly more advanced civilization than yours gets overlooked by arrogant humans" plot.
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Alkaloid wrote:
Hm. By the end of his run, the 10th Doctor really was a dumbass a lot of the time...
10 was pretty clearly in the middle of a mental breakdown, he never really recovered from being the traumatised war vet 9 as far as I can tell.
I hadn't considered this before, but now you mention it it does explain a few things. The shifts from zany to "imsoserious" come to mind.
Same here. Since at the end when 9 is regenerating he looks like he's made peace with himself I had more or less tossed out such a possibility.

Cesario wrote:I just assumed that we're dealing with the "incredibly more advanced civilization than yours gets overlooked by arrogant humans" plot.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. From the way those soldiers spoke it sounded like they had already turned some trees into fuel and never had anything happen so they felt these are just some super energy dense trees on an otherwise lifeless winter wonder world.
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

Big Orange wrote:Harriet Jones and the 10th Doctor were both in the right and in the wrong, with Harriet being wrong with her timing and the 10th Doctor getting overridden by his inconsistant moralising (but no matter what you rationally think of the Sycorax and their evil intent, shooting a retiring enemy in the back and also wiping out an entire community still feels wrong on a gut level). And while the 11th Doctor was thoughtless leaving that portal lying around, he's shown as very intelligent in most other respect (come on, who can make an interdimensional portal?). Also if it weren't for that 1940s family going to that snow forest, how else could the forest spirits evacuate (unless they snagged Arabella Weir)?

But it's not like the baddies could go vegetarian. Their whole civilization is built around slaughter.

Let's say you have a classic vampire. Can't sip the blood, can't use animals. Has to kill a human being once every week to live. Let's say it's consuming the soul with the blood to make it very clear that no substitutions can be made. If the vampire is allowed to live, people will die.

So, what do you do? Oh the vampire is cute and funny. Do you look for humans who don't deserve to live so it can feed? Would you kill the vampire if you came across it while attacking a child? Wouldn't killing it be saving so many lives?

As a time traveler, the doctor would be able to turn the hypothetical into fact. Here is baby hitler and a pillow. Could you smother him in the cradle?
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

jollyreaper wrote: But it's not like the baddies could go vegetarian. Their whole civilization is built around slaughter.
No, more like scavenging, scavangers who were somewhat cowardly and who seemed to bluff (the people under "blood control" could not kill themselves). And they were withdrawing (the Doctor only seems to wipe out species/factions as a last resort).
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

jollyreaper wrote: Image
What is that. :wtf:
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Hollywood portrayal of "Rocky" Dennis, a kid with a nasty, disfiguring disorder. Here's a picture of the actual kid:

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice