Prometheus Trailer

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Moby Halcyon
Youngling

Prometheus Trailer

Post by Moby Halcyon »

Link

While the actual Alien might not be in the trailer, you can see the gun/thing/whatever from the original Alien movie in there. And as interesting as the connection to Scott's original film are, the film will probably stand on its own beyond a wink and nod. Scott's given interviews saying the film delves into the background of the Space Jockeys, but with a cast like that I just hope the story can stand on its own.
"Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'"
—Fred, Angel
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Re: Prometheus Trailer

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Trailer in HD.

With the title, the music, the Jockey cannon, the ship... everything but the pulpy-looking spacesuits, too "oooh future!"-looking HUD and space ship screams "ALIEN MOVIE GUYS". Heck, even those urns scream "these are Xeno eggs, we'll fix them in post".
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Looks pretty good. But just wondering, did anyone else think that ship looked a bit like Serenity.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Zor wrote:Looks pretty good. But just wondering, did anyone else think that ship looked a bit like Serenity.
We're talking about an Alien Prequel/Sequel/Possible Reboot and you're talking about fucking Serenity.

What is wrong with you?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Ok, tired of the heavy horns now.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Stofsk wrote:We're talking about an Alien Prequel/Sequel/Possible Reboot and you're talking about fucking Serenity.

What is wrong with you?
I've ntoiced heaps of the CGI in modern movies (TF, Avatar, John Carter, Skyline) looks really really similar, probably because of the washed-out HDR thing they've got going on. The ship in the trailer looks pretty derivative.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Sure, but Serenity is very distinctive and has a personality to it. The only similarity is the engine pods jutting out at the sides both ships share; that's about it. If anything the ship in this looks fairly derivative of the Nostromo. Which I guess is good because it shows Scott wants to keep stylistic echoes in this iteration.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Yeh :V
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

Is this move suppose to be a revamping of the original Alien movie, or is it a continuation of the Vs. universe? Swear i saw the space jockey corpse in the trailer, either way it looks entertaining enough to watch. The ship did look like a blue-tinged serenity, Sci-Fi media rips each other off so much does it really matter?
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

It's a kind-of-but-not-really prequel to the original Alien.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:It's a kind-of-but-not-really prequel to the original Alien.
Cool, wonder how then at the end of this movie do they make sure no one else ever learns what happens. cause if you find alien life it's not like the entire human race wouldn't be clambering over the news, but still love the series enough to look over that.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Well in the Alien universe alien life has been known to exist for some time, but they have not found any alien civilizations.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

If anything the ship in this looks fairly derivative of the Nostromo
I was actually reminded of the dropships from Aliens, myself.
Is this move suppose to be a revamping of the original Alien movie, or is it a continuation of the Vs. universe? Swear i saw the space jockey corpse in the trailer, either way it looks entertaining enough to watch. The ship did look like a blue-tinged serenity, Sci-Fi media rips each other off so much does it really matter?
It started out as a prequel to Alien, where the ship, the dead alien pilot and the facehugger on the planet came form, and apparently evolved into its own thing along the way. It;s a separate story now I think, but stylistically it will be similar, and looking at the trailer there are going to be homages to the Alien films all over the shop.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I'd prefer if this apparent dive into all sorts of gnarly transcendent cosmic terror stuff won't ever feature or show any acid-blooded parasite bugs that go around eating people in space oil tankers. Ideally, it shouldn't need that kind of referentials to stand on its own and be something else entirely.

I hope it has more material than "lol explosions" and I hope Scott can keep the whole human tension thing and not let it get sidelined by CGI shits (cause in the old movie, with only toy models for effects and guys in rubber suits, this means you had to maximize the performances of the actorbs to also immerse people in the experience, rather than just guise greenscreening everything).
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight

Post by lordofchange13 »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Well in the Alien universe alien life has been known to exist for some time, but they have not found any alien civilizations.
I was talking about the space Jockey, forgot that life isn't descriptive enough to describe him, thanks for pointing out my problem. civilization: intelligence, Life: any organism.
RazorOutlaw
Padawan Learner

Post by RazorOutlaw »

Also interesting is the use of the wailing noise from the original ALIEN trailer...which I only know from watching all the extra features on the ALIEN Quadrilogy DVDs. I'm kind of excited to see it.
Sig.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Man, this is looking amazing. The CGI is so pristine it makes my eyes bleed, the atmosphere is very tight and claustrophobic as it should be, the music is grand and foreboding...hoo boy. Bring on 2012!!!
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Alkaloid wrote:It started out as a prequel to Alien, where the ship, the dead alien pilot and the facehugger on the planet came form, and apparently evolved into its own thing along the way. It;s a separate story now I think, but stylistically it will be similar, and looking at the trailer there are going to be homages to the Alien films all over the shop.
Its only a separate story if you let Scott get away with it. It very clearly is about how the derelict ended up on LV426 and why the Nostromo was redirected there. That its not a stand-alone original movie is simply branding.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Stark wrote:
Alkaloid wrote:It started out as a prequel to Alien, where the ship, the dead alien pilot and the facehugger on the planet came form, and apparently evolved into its own thing along the way. It;s a separate story now I think, but stylistically it will be similar, and looking at the trailer there are going to be homages to the Alien films all over the shop.
Its only a separate story if you let Scott get away with it. It very clearly is about how the derelict ended up on LV426 and why the Nostromo was redirected there. That its not a stand-alone original movie is simply branding.
Or rather, the lack thereof. :wink:
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

It’s definitely set in the Alien universe, I believe that’s all but confirmed now through various interviews and such given by writers, producers and cast members, but they are trying to position it as a separate property within that- so whilst it’s not a direct prequel to the first film it is very much part and parcel of the same continuity, they just want it to stand alone.
Spoiler
Apparently, based on an authoritative ‘script treatment’ that leaked earlier this month, the space jockeys are a super advanced race of aliens responsible for most life throughout the galaxy, and the film will explore how they seeded and shaped life on earth, including humanity- as well as how the alien/xenomorph creatures came into existence, via a source a little bit closer to home than most people might have imagined...
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

I don't have much hope for this. Every time you try to delve deeper into something that was cool you run the risk of overexplaining it to the point of being dumb. Hellraiser was a great novella (hellbound heart), a great movie, and the spawn of many terrible sequels in film and comic. Every attempt at elaboration on the Cenobites and their realm just sucked the energy out of the original. I think it boils down to second visits never having the same impact as the first experience. Matrix was a self-contained movie and decent sequels proved impossible to make. The prequel Animatrix stories also fell short. Terminator had enough material for about two good movies. Telling the story of the war against the machines becomes a prequel in the sense that it's already been foretold due to the time travel and we know how it ends. They've made two more movies, a TV series and spin-off comics and novels and it was run into the ground.

Now I would dearly love to be surprised but am not expecting it.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

Anyone else notice that we are apparently going to find out how the ship on LV-426 tipped over into its present position? :D

I get why they aren't calling this an "Alien" movie, but I think it's clearly a prequel. Which I appreciate. And I hope they don't bend over backwards to AVOID showing the Alien. It wouldn't even be hard to get this to fit within the existing canon of the films, unless Ridley just thinks they are so stupid that he's going to blast them out of existence (for instance, by depicting the Alien's creation in this film!).
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Jesus Christ. Finding how the xenomorphs are made is just going to ruin them for ever. Scott, please don't hit menopause like James Cameron. :(
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Especially if it turns out they arent actually alien.