SDN-Stargate (RAR)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Forgothrax
Padawan Learner

SDN-Stargate (RAR)

Post by Forgothrax »

By act of Q, every SDN member with 50+ posts who has been active within the 12 months, excluding VIs and those similarly-titled,
wakes up to find themselves aboard an Aurora-class battleship currently in lunar orbit in the Sol system. Q appears and explains
the scenario in detail to all members; he does answer some questions, but laughs at the rests. When either questions have been
answered or he seems sufficiently annoyed/amused, he disappears.

Every SDN member has the ability to read, write, and speak Ancient as well as they can their primary tongue. Additionally, they
have been supplied with Ancient knowledge accorded to their field of study. For example, engineers become familiar with Ancient
technology within their spectrum of study, doctors gain Ancient-level medical knowledge, etc. Those without advanced knowledge are
granted a lesser degree of knowledge in a field that they enjoy. This knowledge is equivalent in depth to that displayed by
Stargate-Earth in the last season of Stargate Universe. Finally, each member of the SDN-crew has an ancient gene expression
equivalent to that of John Sheppard.

The ship itself is an Aurora-class Battleship, currently unnamed, that is literally brand-new. Q assures us that the ship has been
"shaken down" and is in 100% operating condition. Currently it has been command-locked so that only SDN Staff members can access
anything beyond basic life-support functions (basically, light switches, unsecured doors, and elevators). Now, for the bad news:
the ship does not have a ZPM onboard and is limited to its normal reactors, which contain sufficient fuel for 10 years of intense
operation and can be refueled over about a week by on-board equipment provided the ship has access to a star. In addition, the
ship's drone armory is nearly empty; Q has removed all but a hundred of the drones, and indicates to us that firing drones will
require the ship to divert power from almost every system (including shields), leaving the ship stripped of protection and unable
to maneuver should we need to fire drones. The ship is armed with energy weapons similar to those mounted by Goa'uld attacks but
significantly more powerful. There are eight Puddle Jumpers aboard, each armed with 12 drones of their own. The ship's hyperdrive
is comparable to the upgraded Prometheus in speed, at 52 million c.

Terra is just the same as you left it last night; however, when Q transported you aboard the ship he also took the liberty of
dropping Earth into the Stargate universe, under the following conditions:

-In-universe, this takes place one week before the events of the Stargate movie. Ra's ship is currently en route to Abydos. In
this universe, however, the Stargate was discovered in Egypt as in the OTL but was transported to the US, stored in a warehouse
somewhere, and forgotten. Ernest Littleford and the pre-SG program did not exist.

-The Ancient do exist; however, they do not show themselves to humans, period, and absolutely do not interfere. The more meddling
Ancients of the OTL such as Oma Desala do not exist. They will not step in to save us from our idiocy, either, though they will welcome any who manage to ascend into the fold-- after first removing any inclination you might have to interfere via their powers, of course.

-The Goa'uld are not nearly as egomaniacally stupid as they were portrayed in the OTL. The System Lords and their underlings,
while fundamentally insane as humans would understand them, are capable of the same level of cunning as Baal displayed during the
events of the OTL. Q adds that, if for some reason we were to have Apophis come after Earth as he did at the end of Season 1, he
would bring more than two Ha'tak. If pressed, he laughs and says, "Many, many more!" The Jaffa are equally more competent but, except being more likely to use shoulder and vehicle-mounted (read: wagon-mounted) staff cannon are not better armed than they were in the OTL. The System Lords all have the Gate Coordinates to Earth, but the hyperdrive coordinates are in the possession of Ra only. The destruction of his ship would lose the coordinates to the Goa'uld for the foreseeable future.

-Anubis does exist, although right now he is a fully mortal Goa'uld hiding on a deserted planet without a Stargate in some unexplored area of the galaxy, tinkering with Ancient technology. He will re-emerge within the next decade as a powerful force.

What do you do?
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Re: SDN-Stargate (RAR)

Post by Ahriman238 »

First stop, Abydos. I may stop on earth to try and lay the seeds of the SGC, however. One drone is all I need to assasinate Ra and free the people of Abydos. WHich should also buy me time while the goa'uld, however more cunning they are now, figure out who
s top dog. Mostly though, I need the map room to figure out where everything is.

Drop by the Tantalus planet, see if I can download the molecule book.

Go to Cimmeria, directly to the Hall of Thor's Might. Once I pass the tests (easy when you already know the right answers) I have a hypercom line to Thor. We need to have a very long talk.

With technical assistance from the Asgard, free Merlin and download his mind into a young clone body. Hitch a ride to Pegasus. While Thor deals with 'the lost tribe' Merlin and I will go to the planet from 'the Order' where a fully-charged ZPM awaits anyone capable of getting through the riddles and traps. Go to Atlantis, replace ZPM. Use lesser power source to lure away the power-eating shadow monster. Make sure there isn't a frozen Dr. Weir in the basement. Palm personal shield.

Once we get long-range sensors up, find the Aurora. Search it for Wraith, if he's there kill him, if not, no bother. Download their minds into younger clone bodies. Retrieve the ship traveling between Pegasus and the Milky Way.

Suddenly, there's over 600 tangible Ancients around, in varying degrees of helpfulness. The old alliance with the Asgard, and our saving their butts should be worth the creation of ARGs, and a little help with the Asgard cloning issues. Use the ARG to cleanse the Asuran homeworld, try and convince the Ancients to live there and leave Atlantis for the generations to come. Whatever they choose, I grab a couple ZPMs.

When ready, we use the Attero device combined with a version of the 'avenger' program I'll ask the Ancients to come up with. The computer virus that shuts down stargates. Then we clean house.

Go to the Milky Way, rinse and repeat.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Do we all land on the same Aurora or does everyone get their own ship? I'm just asking because either that's going to be one crowded Aurora, or you just gave Earth a couple hundred Ancient battleships even if we have to team up (minimum crew requirements for SG warships seem to be firmly in the single figure digits, SG-1 and Bra'tak have no problem controlling a Ha'tak all by their lonesome, the main purpose of all those Jaffa while on shipboard duty seems to be stroll around dimly lit corridors for no apparent reason).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I assume the ships are manned
Q has removed all but a hundred of the drones, and indicates to us that firing drones will
require the ship to divert power from almost every system (including shields), leaving the ship stripped of protection and unable
to maneuver should we need to fire drones
Is this what is required to fire ONE drone or multiple ones?
There are eight Puddle Jumpers aboard, each armed with 12 drones of their own.
Well that is no longer really issue. TWO drones can destroy a Ha'tak class mothership. Even if the drones disapeered we still have numbers comprable to the Goa'uld fleet. Curbstomp is comming.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Forgothrax
Padawan Learner

Post by Forgothrax »

Ahriman238 wrote: With technical assistance from the Asgard, free Merlin and download his mind into a young clone body. Hitch a ride to Pegasus. While Thor deals with 'the lost tribe' Merlin and I will go to the planet from 'the Order' where a fully-charged ZPM awaits anyone capable of getting through the riddles and traps. Go to Atlantis, replace ZPM. Use lesser power source to lure away the power-eating shadow monster. Make sure there isn't a frozen Dr. Weir in the basement. Palm personal shield.
Dammit, I thought I added this to the original scenario... grr, must have deleted by mistake. The Ori do not exist in this scenario, and as a result Merlin is an ascended Ancient. Still, I think you just won the thread.
Batman wrote:Do we all land on the same Aurora or does everyone get their own ship? I'm just asking because either that's going to be one crowded Aurora, or you just gave Earth a couple hundred Ancient battleships even if we have to team up (minimum crew requirements for SG warships seem to be firmly in the single figure digits, SG-1 and Bra'tak have no problem controlling a Ha'tak all by their lonesome, the main purpose of all those Jaffa while on shipboard duty seems to be stroll around dimly lit corridors for no apparent reason).
According to the Stargate wiki an Aurora's almost twice the length of an ISD. We have "only" 2100 members who have over 50 posts, and I doubt all of those have posted in the last 12 months. If we assume 2/3 of them have done so in the last 12 months, that gives us a crew of 1400 people... which is not a lot, considering the space (a 304 has a crew of around 200 and is smaller).
Zor wrote:I assume the ships are manned
Q has removed all but a hundred of the drones, and indicates to us that firing drones will
to maneuver should we need to fire drones
Is this what is required to fire ONE drone or multiple ones?
The SDN-Aurora is manned by us.

That is what is required to fire a single drone. There's a thirty second delay between firing single drones (charge capacitors). You can charge the batteries in advance if you want to be prepared, which will give you the ability to fire two, but don't expect to hold a charge beyond ten minutes and it will be energy intensive. And in this scenario, the Goa'uld are seriously upgunned (in Trope terms, they have ditched the Idiot Ball). There are significantly more than a hundred Ha'taks in the galaxy.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

How to win Stargate in two steps:

1) Take ship to the planet with the Reality mirror
2) Take ship to the planet with the time machine

Congratulations: You can no go back in time and go to any favourable reality you desire. Including the REAL Stargate Command and possibly Star Trek since obviously that has to exist for Q to arrive.

I'll be going to Star Trek thanks. An Ancient warship in the Star Trek Universe would be monumentally more worthwhile and that reality is going to fuck you as hard with all the bad guys running around. If you really wanna have a laugh, recruit multiple SGC + Star Trek Earths and link them together via the mirror so you now have the combined resources of multiple Earths.

As for the time travel:
Go to the planet where the Goa'uld came from and nuke it
Go to the planet where the Wraith came from and nuke it
Go to the Asgard and tell them not to fuck with cloning tech or begin researching the cure a lot earlier

Logic dictates that our Earth will suffer absolutely no effects from time changes cause... our world does not originate from that universe. Even if it does... dont see how it really matters. Between time travel and reality jumping a ship might as well be a TARDIS.
Cesario
Subhuman Pedophilia Advocate

Post by Cesario »

One week isn't a lot of time to prepare the strike we'll absolutely need to perform on Ra. Just convincing the staff members that any of our idiot asses can be trusted with even the power of the light switches on this thing is bound to take longer than that, but one week is the only point we'll be able to take out Ra at a known location and remove his hyperspace coordinates from the equation.

I'm going to lobby for taking Ra's ship intact. Our ship is significantly superior, but it's also just one ship. If we can capture it intact, we can double the Earth Fleet, and gain access to vital intelligence on Ra's resources, his other holdings, the fleet strength of the enemy, and Goa'uld technology that we're going to have an easier time reproducing with our resource base than we would this ancient tech.

Better, Goa'uld tech is based on ancient tech scavenged and made to work with the lesser resource base, so our ancient knowledge ought to help us sort through most of it.

Also, having a sarcophagus on hand will make me personally feel a lot safer. Sure it's got side-effects, but when you need to use it, the side-effects are nothing compared to the problem it's curing. Also, we have ancient knowledge so maybe we can get the thing fixed so it won't fuck up our brains.

Additionally, that gives us a ship we can leave in orbit of earth while we take the Aurora out to deal with the many other looming threats to three galaxies.

Now, next step is full disclosure to the population of earth. They need to know what's coming, and we need the resources of the planet's military-industrial complex working for us. Barring the Asurans, Earth is the number one planet in the known universe for population and industrialization. We show up in the giant, invincible space-ship and publicly hover over the White House, making the damn thing impossible to cover up. We then send someone down to let the rest of the world know what Q just did.

Stargate DVDs will be brought aboard the ship as intelligence reports, with each episode combed over by selected individuals brought aboard that aren't Q-upgraded for gate addresses, possible locations of allies, dangerous enemies we ought to be aware of, and every other clue the DVDs can give us while we're out there trying to keep Earth alive.

Meanwhile, we make sure that Earth builds an Iris or some equivalent tech to keep Apophis from coming through.

The major social revolution the Goa'uld have gone through thanks to Q means we're not going to be able to exploit the same weaknesses that allowed for the Jaffa rebellion to take place. Indeed, with them as clever as Baal, we'll be looking at a fanatically loyal force that won't need to think the Goa'uld are gods in order to continue serving them. That's going to make final victory over that force a lot harder.

And with Anubis about ready to wake up and cause trouble, I'm not sure we want to get a final victory over them.

Contacting the Asgard is a must, and fortunately we know how to get a hyperspace transmission through to Thor. Give him copies of the Stargate DVDs and everything we know about the changes from Q. Jack O'neil isn't existent in this universe, but surely there is someone who's brain can use the ancient database to build them the first generation ARG. And as long as no one does anything stupid like giving one of the Replicators access to ARG schematics, the first generation should be all we need.

Fortunately for the Asgard, we have intelligence on a tribe of Asgard who've got a bit of a lead on their cloning problem in Pegasus. With that intelligence, access to ARG technology way earlier than they have any right to, and the free assistance of our Q upgraded semi-ancient selves, they might stand a chance of decisively winning their war with the Replicators and surviving as a major power.

Next stop is the Asuran homeworld, where we do the one thing SG-1 never did well. We talk to the Asurans. We tell them we agree the ancients sucked, and that we're interested in becoming allies. With the computer scientists aboard with full knowledge of how the ancients handled their faulty AI technology, we will know right off how to amend the Asuran programming, and we can purge the aggressive impulses of the ones who so desire it. We act like trustworthy allies to the Asurans from start to finish unless and until they show themselves untrustworthy, and we keep in contact with the Asgard as our backup plan if this goes badly. I don't want to purge their homeworld except as a last resort.

The Goa'uld will be effectively ignored in the first wave of my plans, because they can be. If they don't know how to get to earth, we can focus on the bigger problems of saving the Asgard, who can themselves come to the rescue to save everyone else.

I like the plan of shutting down the Stargate network temporarily while we ground or blow up all the Wraith ships in Pegasus. I considered establishing an alliance with them as well, offering the Ancient Healing device to provide them with an infinite food source so they won't have to feed on humans, but frankly, they're a dangerously aggressive species with no culture except the human farming and making war bits. They aren't going to become peaceful just because we've eliminated their need to do the former, and in fact might well become even worse.

Of course, run this plan by the Asgard first, because damn it they've got experience at this sort of thing and can judge better than we can who can and can't be negotiated with. I don't trust anyone on this ship who's got "ancient level diplomacy skills" or "ancient level tactical training", since the Ancients were absolutely shit at both skills.

We're going to need to leave a lot of our people back on earth to try to pass on their ancient knowledge to assist the fledgeling Stargate program, since our skills need to be passed on, and the earth tech base and manufacturing platforms need to be prepared. It might be a good idea to send down some of us in secret to wait until the governments have decided what to do with us before coming out publicly, but it's vital that earth get as much of the technology we can provide as possible before Anubis wakes up.

When Anubis does start gathering up his power base, we can be thankful for the largely intact and Q-upgraded Goa'uld military force, since that will slow down his accumulation of power considerably. Meanwhile, it will give us time to assemble our Earth/Asgard/Asuran alliance to stomp his fleet into space dust after he's given a chance to cripple any major Goa'uld opposition to said alliance dictating the terms of the Goa'uld's surrender.

This plan is, of course, predicated on anyone actually listening to me, and us being able to organize within that first critical week.

I'd also like to add for everyone's sake that the mere fact that Q showed up means that our actions will likely be judged not only on our success at keeping Earth alive, but also by what we do to and for the inhabitants of the three galaxies at large. We're being watched by an omnipotent and moralizing entity here, so let's try to be on our best behavior and limit the genocides to only those that can't be avoided.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Taking a big massive ship and parking it over the White House would be a monumentally bad idea and is likely to provoke a lethal response.

Somehow I do not think ANY nation leader would be amicable to the idea a bunch of folks that post on a forum have now been given access to the most advanced and destructive piece of technology ever seen and trust them with the fate of the planet.

I forsee anyone who reveals themselves and this ship will get shot, captured, interogated or blackmailed via Family / Loved Ones held at gun point to surrender this ship and their technology.

If the Goa'uld are even remotely intelligent they will simply try to subvert Earth using subtle means rather than overt force. All they have to do is threaten to glass Earth if they dont hand over the Evil SDN terrorists that have been attacking them. The gate address by definition is a co-ordinate map to the location of the gate so if every Goa'uld is equal to Baal then they all have the abilty to figure out where Earth is and fly there in ships.

Acquiring the Quantum mirror and the Time Travel puddle jumper is by far the best option since it literally allows you to obliterate the entire Goa'uld race with a single nuke, same with the Wraith since they both originate from single planets and you can potentially get multiple SGC's to back you up.

As for the Asgard: Go find Thor, tell him where the Dakara device is and let the Asgard configure it to exterminate the Replicators in return they protect Earth under their treaty.

Requirement to reveal Stargate to public: 0%
Being able to return to Earth without fear of retaliation or exile: Fairly good

Regardless, revealing the Stargate in a modern world would be more to cause WW3 through folks fighting to take control of the ship and the panic it will cause.
sirocco
Padawan Learner

Post by sirocco »

Though not concerned by the OP rules, I think I would advocate to base all strategy on the Puddle Jumpers since they are completely invisible to any type of sensors in Stargate Universe.

The 2nd thing I'd do is talk with the Ida Asgards and the Pegasus Asgards: the former have the brain and fire power ship-wise while the latter are experts with Ancient devices. I'd try to get from them the exoskeleton and more importantly the system that enables them to open safely hyperspace windows even in the atmosphere of a planet.

Asuran's too are a good pick. Just tell them that they can take the mantle of the Ancients and fare better than them against the Wraith (since by definition they can't be fed upon). And ask them to do one right thing: protect and nurture the Pegasus human.

As to the Goa'uld, I'd do the same thing Anubis did at the beginning: coordinate attacks from the shadows and blame some system Lords for that. My first pick would be certainly the smartest underdog they have: Ba'al. And once they are convinced that he might be responsible for this, I'd just wait for the big all out civil war. (If necessary, I'll try to arrange the assassination whoever wants to maintain the stability of their empire, namely Ra and Yu).
Future is a common dream. Past is a shared lie.
There is the only the 3 Presents : the Present of Today, the Present of Tomorrow and the Present of Yesterday.
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Forgothrax wrote: Every SDN member has the ability to read, write, and speak Ancient as well as they can their primary tongue. Additionally, they
have been supplied with Ancient knowledge accorded to their field of study. For example, engineers become familiar with Ancient
technology within their spectrum of study, doctors gain Ancient-level medical knowledge, etc.
Hopefully an Ancient Law degree will be useful in solving Deus Ex Machina-unlocking cryptic Ancient puzzles.
Cesario

Post by Cesario »

I don't think this planet will go into WW3 from this revelation. And as for any lethal response, consider exactly what it is that the full nuclear armament of the entire planet earth can potentially do to an Aurora class warship. Jack shit.

If they don't want to get their shit together and help, we leave them to work this out amongst themselves, but we damn well give them the chance to be a part of this. If the nations of earth can't be brought together in the face of evil aliens about to come down from the sky and kill you, eat you, and/or convert you, then there's no hope for this planet.

Also, blackmailing loved ones to get ahold of the technology is kind of monumentally stupid given that the initially stated plan was to simply hand over that technology. The ship is hovering over the White House, Kremlin, and anywhere else we feel like it simply to make it impossible for anyone to try any of the coverup bullshit that enables people with ill intentions to try to hide things that people legitimately need to know. (Also, taking a nuke to the face will do a great job of both impressing on them the importance of listening to us about the threats out there, and in establishing that they can't threaten us.)

The Goa'uld can't attempt to subvert earth internally if they can't get to earth, so removing the hyperspace coordinates and closing the gate makes that absolutely impossible by act of Q. Don't fight the hypothetical.

As to how amicable the nations of the world are about it, they don't get much choice in the matter, since even if we handed the ship over full stock, they won't be able to fly the damn thing due to not having the Q upgrades of ancient knowledge. Also, half of us will know how to whip up our own Stargate out of a toaster, so keeping us contained for interrogation won't exactly be easy, and killing us is counterproductive to getting the technology from us. The ancient knowledge Q gave us is way more dangerous and valuable than the ship.

The Quantum mirror doesn't help much unless we can find universes full of people with none of their own problems who are also willing to devote resources to helping us with our problems.

The puddle-jumper time travel plan can work, but that means genociding two species (or attempting to, recall how the Ancient's known carpetbombing campaigns turned out) using tools handed to us by Q. Q is generally not the sort to encourage that sort of behavior, and might consider that a failure of the test he engineered by giving us this stuff in the first place.

Also, on the time travel plan, I didn't mention this before, but the unfortunate phrase "logic dictates" is a problem when you've been transported by an omnipotent trickster archetype into a bizzare Stargate-like universe that's clearly part of the Star Trek multiverse.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

On the matter of needing a sarcophagus to heal injuries and so forth: Ancients are supposed to have various abilities like healing and telekinesis (demonstrated by Jack and Daniel respectively, just with Ancient knowledge, and by that bunch of weirdos from the time dilation bubble in SG:A's second season). I would think this would ngate the need for a sarcophagus. I'm also fairly certain we have at least one doctor/nurse/paramedic on the board, if they get Ancient medical knowledge as well we are set.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Forgothrax
Padawan Learner

Post by Forgothrax »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:On the matter of needing a sarcophagus to heal injuries and so forth: Ancients are supposed to have various abilities like healing and telekinesis (demonstrated by Jack and Daniel respectively, just with Ancient knowledge, and by that bunch of weirdos from the time dilation bubble in SG:A's second season). I would think this would ngate the need for a sarcophagus. I'm also fairly certain we have at least one doctor/nurse/paramedic on the board, if they get Ancient medical knowledge as well we are set.
One small problem: we are still human, just with the benefits of ancient knowledge. So no cool Ancient powers for us, unless we start the ascension process, which has problems of its own... As for medical staff, well, I know we have several nurses on the board (including me if you count a student nurse) and at least one MD, so we should be set.

And as for revealing ourselves to the world... well... how many governments are going to say "His family/significant other/friends live in our country, and we'd much rather have the ship itself than technology specs." Or "We want the ship, and the tech specs, and everybody else gets crap."
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

We know that humans that are given advanced Ancient knowledge get these powers, as I mentioned Jack and Daniel are the two most prominent (and later Rodney, but that doesn't quite count I think).

This allows you to do all sorts of nifty tricks like healing fatal stab wounds and moving water bottles and other small objects around the room.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Cesario

Post by Cesario »

We respond:

We have the ship and the technology specs. If you want crap, you'll get your act together and start working together. We've got the high ground, a ship they can't hope to harm, weapons capable of wiping all life off the planet if we so choose, and they only know what we tell them about the situation.

We don't need to personally identify ourselves and endanger our families if you think that's a major risk.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

"Do what we say or we will wipe all life off the planet because we know best"
O'Neil: "This is different from the Goa'uld, how ?
Its ironically funny that taking this position reaffirms Absolute Power and your adopting the same stance that Daniel Jackson took.
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

Why should we trust the Asurans? They held the Earthlings prisoner, probed their minds, then attacked Atlantis out of pure hatred, all before the heroes had done anything to provoke them. They were at least honest: they hated the Alterans and hated humanity and wanted to wipe out the favored children, or at least ensure they could never be a threat.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
Cesario

Post by Cesario »

I've never been particularly concerned about the whole "being the better man" thing. Ever.

If refusing to hand over an impossibly powerful warship to a government that isn't willing to cooperate with the rest of the people on their planet makes me as bad as the Goa'uld, I think I can live with that.

As to the Asurans, now that you mention it, you're right. I'd forgotten that they attacked first. No need to wipe them out, however, since they've been minding their own business for the past ten thousand years.
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

Doesn't the same apply to the Goa'uld? The exact dates in the show were fuzzy, but the stargate was buried in late prehistory, and the only lord we know came to Earth after that was Sokar. If we just keep anyone from figuring out how to work the stargate, there's no reason to think that the Goa'uld should be a threat any time soon, at least until Anubis rises. But then if Oma doesn't commune with mortals, then Anubis should never be any more dangerous than Sokar, and maybe he would just die alone and forgotten.

Maybe we should head to Atlantis and try to figure out how to make ZPM's. Perhaps we could open up relations with Earth and try to get colonists for Atlantis.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
Cesario

Post by Cesario »

My original plan actually was leaving the Goa'uld alone, if only as a buffer against Anubis' eventual rise.

Job 1 (after ensuring Ra's coordinates are removed from the equation) is to get to the Asgard and deal with the horde of alien locusts threatening to eat the universe, and meanwhile do what we can to save the greatest allies the human race has ever had in this universe.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Forgothrax wrote:Dammit, I thought I added this to the original scenario... grr, must have deleted by mistake. The Ori do not exist in this scenario, and as a result Merlin is an ascended Ancient. Still, I think you just won the thread.
Yay, me?

I'm sorry, I thought it was an individual thing, not a scenario where all of us are on this ship together. In which case, I nominate NecronLord to be our leader, since he's the only authority figure on the board I know watched all the shows. Appealing to the Asgard for help is an obvious move, and we happen to know that the surviving Ancients have the relevant knowledge to solve most or all of the Asgard's problems and vice versa. So we bring them together, and try to negotiate the best deal we can from that. Seems pretty clear to me.

Or we could liberate the Aschen Confederation and see what we can do with a few years to study the bio-weapons that ended the Goa'uld in another timeline (2010.) Or we find Panagar (Cure) and free Egeria, founder and mother of all Tok'ra, and the only Tok'ra capable of reproducing. I'm sure even our favorite leather-wrapped bundles of smug would have to appreciate that. Give Ma'Chello a younger clone body? Look up some of the alien races that kicked the Goa'uld off their worlds?

There are a lot of paths to victory here, since we know mostly where the important things are, like the Ancient outpost in Anarctica. Hell, our biggest problem is not knowing the gate addresses to everywhere we need to go, and once we get the addresses we still won't be able to match them to appropriate named planets. Then again, our Ancient computer can probably correct for stellar drift a whole lot faster than Carters version. We can explore the Gate Network if we have to, or even use the Gate addresses as coordinates to visit in our seriously overpowered ship. Pity we won't have access to the planets entered by Jack under the influence of the Ancient's knowledge. I don't suppose 'a field we enjoy' and will recieve Ancient-level knowledge on can include the gate network?

Actually, with most or all of SD.net, we have a whole lot of manpower to pursue a lot of options at once.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Forgothrax
Padawan Learner

Post by Forgothrax »

Sorry, Ahriman, but no dice on the gate addresses-- "field" equivalents to "profession." The Aurora you're sitting on does have a database of gate addresses with notes as to their destinations, but it's incomplete and intentionally so.

I would personally think the obvious moves would be to contact the Asgard while beginning a tech-uplift on Earth and getting access to Atlantis. As others have noted, we can probably get our hands on sufficient ZPMs to shift the city-ship to Terra, and if we stock up on drones from the Tower city-ship, we should have strong enough defenses to drive off anything but a concentrated attack from the System Lords. Add the Tria and the Hippaforalkus/Orion and our defenses become, if not impregnable, very very strong.

I'm not sure about the Aschen, personally... I think they're much more likely to try to take us over or biogenic-bomb us into oblivion than cooperate. Egeria, though, is a no-brainer; if nothing else we inject new life into the Tok'ra and creating more opposition to the Goa'uld from within is a great idea. Ma'chello, too.

Our greatest difficulty is, ironically enough, manpower. Yes, we have between one to two thousand people to staff all our ships, but while all these people have some ancient knowledge and ability with ancient technology, we have few soldiers and most of us are, honestly, spoiled inhabitants of first-world nations who have never had to fight for our lives against a foe who can bring to bear enough ships to rip even our Aurora and its companions apart. We can certainly try to hide Terra (shooting down Ra's ship will help with that) but if any of us are ever captured, we'll soon find ourselves facing up against Ha'taks in short order. Thus, we need to make contact with Terrestrial governments, but how?
Cesario

Post by Cesario »

Another flaw is our utter lack of organization.

How long will it take for us to convince the staff members to give us access to the ship's functions at all? Will it take longer than the one week we have to take our one shot at Ra when he's in a known location with the hyperspace coordinates to earth?

Meanwhile, those of us with computer programming experience can and will likely start trying to hack the systems once it becomes apparent that the staff members are paralyzed with the task of vetting each and every one of us to wield the destructive power this warship represents.

Not trying to disparage anyone, but administering a messageboard is a great deal different than vetting who can and can't be trusted with WMDs. Anyone who was even remotely sane would want to spend a long time vetting anyone aboard this ship for access to the systems, but that would mean missing our one window to ensure earth's protection against the threat of a hyperspace invasion.

We'd fall to infighting quickly as those of us emphasizing the urgency of the situation begin to feel that the window is closing and desperate measures are required to safeguard humanity.

Fortunately for those of us in civilian mode, the soldiers among us have been cursed by Q with ancient level combat skills, leveling the playing field significantly when the attempted mutiny starts.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

When I say 'liberate' the Aschen Confederation, I am referring to all the poor folk they betrayed, conquered and turned into shitty agrarian societies to support their empire. The Aschen themselves get 'freedomized' and we steal and study their tech. Not my favorite route, but its a possibility since we do know the Aschen were able to make a bio-weapon that killed off the Goa'uld.

As a purely practical concern, I can't say I'd support this. We could take the long view, hole up in some ass-end of the galaxy, and uplift some more primitive, less paranoid and fractious peoples. If all you really want is warm bodies that can be trained to fight. It seems a very exploitive way to free the galaxy from tyranny though.

Or we go to Harlan's planet and make endless robotic duplicates of ourselves.

Plus there are all these groups, the Hebridan, the aliens from Spirits, der giant mist-aliens from the crystal skull, Nem, the crystal alien from Cold Lazarus, the 'Breeders' from the Other Side, maybe even the electronic lifeforms from 'Entity.' The Goa'uld have done their best to destroy all advanced, industrialized powers in the galaxy, and we see a lot of ruins of these peoples. But most of the ones who are left are either hidden from the Goa'uld or too powerful for any one System Lord to take without weakening his position and exposing himself to his peers.

The SGC managed to briefly unite the peoples of earth, the Tok'ra and the Jaffa rebels. I say we unite the whole damn galaxy.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Tria - No good, you dont know where it is, where it came from or where it is going since this Hypothetical has magically moved Earth to Q knows where.
If our Earth is where the old one is... the gate address is a direct roadmap to that location which ALL the Goa'uld know and can calculate the destination since Baal was capable of doing this. Ra's co-ordinates only become relevant if Earth is in a new location and if that is the case, the Tria will be headed for the old location making finding it even harder. Additionally, I think the good people of our planet are going to notice the stars have moved and changed with the new position causing it's own shitstorm.

It is pure fiat they were found in the first place and it's stupid to get them ANYWAY.
These are the pricks that kicked up a fuss and booted everyone off Atlantis because it belonged to them. Somehow I dont think they are going to be amicable to the idea of going on a holy crusade after getting their asses kicked by the Wraith. Nevermind the possibility they will take our ship because they rightfully see it as THEIR technology.

Counting on Ancients for help seems largely silly considering they have repeatedly been shown to adopt a policy of doing fuck all so why would they change that now ?
Ironically, the Ascended Ancients are the ones that have been seen more likely to help wether it be De-Ascended Merlin, Orin, Morgan, whats-her-face-that-fancied-Shepard and Oma.

Asgard - They MAY help us but there is CERTAINLY no gurantee of it. Thor liked Jack and they saw him as being 'awesome', interactions with other Asgard differ and even Thor himself admits some STILL had their resevations about humanity. Somehow I do not think the Asgard would look kindly on the notion of glassing our own homewold to make them comply with our demands like terrorists or actively aggressive actions throughout the galaxy. Even if it is for some perverted 'noble purpose'.

Cure for the Asgard disease - Certainly no indication in the entire series the Ancients had the ability to cure it so I find the idea we can magicallly do so presumptious at best.

Cure for the Replicators - Doable, but we have to secure the Android to get the recall command for a trap or launch an assualt on Dakara. The former runs the risk of failing to catch all the replicators if we go too soon or things going wrong if we wait too long.
The latter: Dakara is supposedly one of the most heavily defended planets the Goa'uld have and if they are remotely intelligent they will have enough firepower to make an assualt on Dakara impossible with the current vessel.

Tolan - Noone seems to have mentioned these guys yet, helping them would be an obvious way to score a decent ally although the pompus attitude is likely to grate any technology exchanges and they probably wont listen to reason about their lack of defences.

Tok'ra - So... whos gonna volunteer to be a host for Selmac to earn their trust ?
Nevermind, the potential for them to screw us to serve their own ends is pretty high or infiltration leading to the Goa'uld going after Earth
Worth getting those super-gauntlet things for research though.

Asurans - No option except wiping them out, all it takes is for one of them to probe us or someone to even HINT we arent Ancients and everyone gets completely boned.

Itaro Generator - Leaving aside the hostility of the Asgard, using this thing brings up monumental problems. Stargate travel in the galaxy is effectively destroyed, anyone dialing those gates get nuked. It MAY take out a chunk of Wraith initially but if the Wraith are even remotely competent they will try to fiddle with their FTL so it dosent get affected or hole up and wait. Unless you intend to keep the generator running for decades / centuries a Wraith could easily hibernate through the process and going from planet to planet in ships would take just as long.

Attacking the Goa'uld - SG-1 did this and it took them over a decade to go through this task and it lead to problems like the Free-Jaffa and the rise of Lucian Alliance. One would expect other empires and forces to emerge when the Goa'uld get hammered sufficiently which could lead to a whole host of unforseen issues. If SDN causes a shitstorm or comes off the wrong way... we potentially get painted as bad guys like Atlantis infront of a kangaroo court.
Alternatively, the Goa'uld band together against the common threat or one Goa'uld emerges as a dominant force the rest fall behind. Resulting in us fighting a unified Goa'uld force which would be EXTREMELY bad.