Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Will Durant, American historian (1885-1981)


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who? PostPosted: 2011-10-25 07:20pm
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am
Posts: 4073
Location: Victoria, Canada
Stark wrote:
Hey Romulan Republic, I don't know if you've heard of this show called Doctor DW Who, but it's about this guy who has fun adventures and constantly defeats the same guys doing increasingly stupid things with ever more contrived plot devices! It's just like in comic books!


There is some truth to that, but the show has introduced new villains recently and honestly, I doubt its all that much more silly than its always been, though I haven't seen that much of the old series.

Quote:
When you overuse something, it gets boring. They've cut back on the tired old Daleks, but they're still a tempting cop-out for any lazy writer to inherit some pathos rather than having to actually create something. While Smiths period is pretty dodgy at least they're honestly trying something, instead of endlessly rehashing the same old fan service like RTD was wont to.


That just means they should be used less, and only by good writers. Not that they should never be used again.

Quote:
If I said 'every Dalek story after Doomsday has been shit' you'd just get upset. :lol:


No, I wouldn't, because I haven't watched every Dalek story since Doomsday, and I honestly don't know one way or the other. I am not, as you seem to believe, a Dalek fanboy, nor do I have any real emotional investment in defending them. But I expect that won't stop you from making arrogant assumptions about me and my motives.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who? PostPosted: 2011-10-25 08:17pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 09:56pm
Posts: 36168
Location: Brisbane, Australia
The Romulan Republic wrote:
There is some truth to that, but the show has introduced new villains recently and honestly, I doubt its all that much more silly than its always been, though I haven't seen that much of the old series. [/qutoe]

Is there any content in this statement?

Quote:
That just means they should be used less, and only by good writers. Not that they should never be used again.


Is this relevant to our ability to predict the quality of Dalek stories?

Quote:
No, I wouldn't, because I haven't watched every Dalek story since Doomsday, and I honestly don't know one way or the other. I am not, as you seem to believe, a Dalek fanboy, nor do I have any real emotional investment in defending them. But I expect that won't stop you from making arrogant assumptions about me and my motives.


I guess it won't stop you making knee-jerk defensive strawmen like 'prove it is impossible to make a good Dalek story', eitther. :lol: It's not impossible they can break a five year drought - but it's worth remembering most of the OLD Dalek stories sucked shit too, especially post-Davros. They're just not very interesting villans, unless they're playing off the rest of the cast (like Dalek, Genesis, etc). When all they have going for them is pathos and high threat level, every time you use them in a stupid way it damages the whole idea of using them again. Yes, Virginia, fanservice DOES ruin plot elements.



Elfdart wrote:
my first manager and I spent the better part of an hour in his office asking an insanely hot female employee to go through the "B" authors in the Lit section. Why? Because that would make her climb up on the ladder right where the security camera was and gave us a perfect view of her perfect gazongas
whatisprojectzohar.com

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who? PostPosted: 2011-10-25 08:44pm
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am
Posts: 4073
Location: Victoria, Canada
You fucked up your quotes Stark.

Anyway, how is that a strawman? You basically asserted that Dalek stories would always lack drama.

I do acknowledge its difficult to keep things fresh if they're overused, which is why the current break from the Daleks is one of the smarter things Moffat has done. But it should not be a permanent break. And considering they are basically the Doctor's arch enemy (or maybe Davros is, since he made them), it seems fitting to bring them back for the anniversary.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who? PostPosted: 2011-10-25 08:50pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-03 09:56pm
Posts: 36168
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Fuuuuuuuu. I can't edit anymore, sorry. Goddamn.

And I expressed amazement that anyone would look forward to another Dalek-themed finale in the current show. Unless there are major changes between now and then, why would it suck any less than the last ones? What predominance of experience or evidence leads you to optimism on this issue?



Elfdart wrote:
my first manager and I spent the better part of an hour in his office asking an insanely hot female employee to go through the "B" authors in the Lit section. Why? Because that would make her climb up on the ladder right where the security camera was and gave us a perfect view of her perfect gazongas
whatisprojectzohar.com

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who? PostPosted: 2011-10-25 09:45pm
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am
Posts: 4073
Location: Victoria, Canada
I could counter by asking what makes you think a non-Dalek finale will be any better. I personally liked The Big Bang, but The Wedding of River Song kind of sucked.

I don't particularly expect a Dalek finale to be good, but I think it has a chance of being good, just like a non-Dalek finale has a chance of sucking balls. And I think that Moffat has actually handled the Daleks fairly well (ie not overusing them and making them effective villains when they do appear). And most of the Dalek episodes you disliked were under prior management.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who? PostPosted: 2011-10-26 02:04am
Offline
DUH! WINNING!
User avatar

Joined: 2002-09-20 05:25am
Posts: 11181
Location: Mars, where I am a totally bitchin' rockstar.
They should make Dr. Who black, or asian. That would be interesting.



"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who? PostPosted: 2011-10-26 02:13am
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am
Posts: 4073
Location: Victoria, Canada
Okay, first of all, the characters' name is "The Doctor". Not Doctor Who.

Second of all, I would have no problem with it, and there's no reason it couldn't happen given what we've heard about regeneration. On the other hand, a lot of fans would probably be pissed. Half the fan base would probably say they'd ruined the Doctor, and the other half would probably call the first half racist. It would be a cluster fuck.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who? PostPosted: 2011-10-26 02:36am
Offline
Padawan Learner
User avatar

Joined: 2011-10-01 02:48pm
Posts: 269
Location: Sitting in front of a computer, bored
The Romulan Republic wrote:
Okay, first of all, the characters' name is "The Doctor". Not Doctor Who.

Second of all, I would have no problem with it, and there's no reason it couldn't happen given what we've heard about regeneration. On the other hand, a lot of fans would probably be pissed. Half the fan base would probably say they'd ruined the Doctor, and the other half would probably call the first half racist. It would be a cluster fuck.


Pretty sure Fanboy is being sarcastic.



Damn you know it. You so smart you brought up like history and shit. Laying down facts like you was a blues clues episode or something. How you get so smart? Like the puns and shit you use are wicked smart, Red Letter Moron! HAHAHAHAH!1 Fucks that is funny, you like should be on TV with Jeff Dunham and shit.-emersonlakeandbalmer
God is like the strict dad while Satan is the cool uncle who gives you weed. However sometimes he'll be a dick and turn you in.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who? PostPosted: 2011-10-26 02:47am
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am
Posts: 4073
Location: Victoria, Canada
Hard to tell some times. ;)

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who? PostPosted: 2011-10-26 07:54am
Offline
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 2005-06-29 11:31am
Posts: 1137
Location: Londinium
Drooling Iguana wrote:
William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton each played the role for two years, however there were far more episodes produced in a given year in the 1960s than there would be in the '70s and onward. Jon Pertwee had five years, followed by Tom Baker's seven.

Peter Davison played the role for three years again, but by the time his third year was done he regretted handing in his resignation. Colin Baker played the role for two seasons spread out over three years (with a sizeable gap in between) and was then fired. Sylvester McCoy also played the role for three years, however the length of the seasons had been shortened again by this point and he would have continued for at least one more year if the show hadn't been cancelled.


The first two did over 3 years in the role each.

Hartnell - 1963-1966.
Troughton 1966-1969



What is WRONG with you people

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who? PostPosted: 2011-10-26 08:25am
Offline
Jedi Council Member
User avatar

Joined: 2003-10-06 05:37pm
Posts: 1721
Location: Leeds, UK
Hartnell did pretty much exactly three years as the Doctor, but Troughton was nearer two-and-a-half if you want to be precise; he came in at the very end of 1966, and left in mid 1969.

As for casting a black Doctor, I think the (initial) fan disappointment about Matt Smith getting the role over Patterson Joseph proves that fandom probably wouldn't have much of a problem with a Doctor of a different race. Personally, I think it'd be one of those rare instances where the general audience got their knickers in a twist moreso than the hardcore fans.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who? PostPosted: 2011-10-26 09:06am
Offline
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 2011-04-01 11:41am
Posts: 793
Location: G-D SAVE THE QUEEN
Considering that racism is close to the worst thing you can accuse someone of at the moment, I don't think that most people would even risk commenting on it of we had a black (or whatever) Doctor. You'd get some comment in the gutter-press, but even they've seriously scaled back the racism recently (now, if they got a foreign actor for the Doctor, then you'd see complaints). It's a shame Lenny Henry's too old for the part (assuming the show keeps going with younger actors), he'd have made an awesome Doctor.

WAIT Patterson Joseph - that's the boss-guy from Peep Show, right? Oh G-d, he'd have been fantastic!



And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who? PostPosted: 2011-10-26 10:52am
Offline
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 2008-11-03 06:43pm
Posts: 1145
Location: Ottawa
Yeah, I don't think there would really be too much outrage over a black Doctor. Sure, a few closet racists would try to find other reasons to declare him Worst Doctor Ever, but that's par for course whenever a new Doctor gets involved. The worst you'd get is people claiming tokenism.

Making the new Doctor a woman, however, would be an impressive move; casual sexism is still pretty widespread and generally more socially acceptable, so the shitstorm that would ensue would be biblical.



1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who? PostPosted: 2011-10-27 11:16pm
Offline
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am
Posts: 4073
Location: Victoria, Canada
Apparently Smith has now said that he is not planning to leave Doctor Who:

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/smith-not-quit ... -27757.htm

Quote:
Shockwaves spread across the net last week when Matt Smith possibly hinted that he may only have one year left on Doctor Who.

However, in a interview promoting the upcoming Series 6 DVD, Matt says he has no plans to give up role any time soon.

“We work very long hours every day for nine months. The schedule is pretty brutal, but I’d never complain about it. I love playing this role, and I don’t want to give it up anytime soon,” he said.

“I feel very lucky. In the current climate for actors, I’d never say, ‘This is too much’ – quite the opposite, in fact. I’d say, ‘Bring it on’.”

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who? PostPosted: 2011-10-27 11:47pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-29 08:35am
Posts: 13237
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Darth Fanboy wrote:
They should make Dr. Who black, or asian. That would be interesting.



I think Dr. Who was already Asian in King Kong Escapes. :D



Nevermore

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group