Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who?

Post by The Romulan Republic »

http://www.atvtoday.co.uk/index.php?opt ... i&Itemid=5
Matt Smith to leave Doctor Who next year?
Written by Dominic Knight
Friday, 21 October 2011 17:31
A new interview with Matt Smith suggests the actor could be leaving Doctor Who next year.

If there wasn't enough uncertainty surrounding next year's series of Doctor Who already actor Matt Smith has just gone and added some more to it! While the BBC has ordered 14 more episodes of the sci-fi series its unclear when in 2012 they will air or if they will all air next year or not. The BBC had indicated over the Summer that some episodes would be "held over" until 2013 but it's all as clear as mud. Furthermore while actors Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill have both said they will feature in the next series just how many episodes they'll appear in is another matter - there are suggestions that Rory and Amy will only be "recurring characters".

Matt Smith, in a new interview, has suggested that he could be leaving Doctor Who after the next series and crucially before its 50th anniversary in 2013. In an interview with VH1 about a possible move to America the actor had this to say “Well, hopefully soon, you know. I’ve got another year of Doctor Who, but then I’m certainly going to come and give it a shot – come and hang out in LA… " Now that would seem to hint that next year could be the curtain call for the 11th Doctor.

However, it is more than certainly unwise to read too much into one comment during an interview. With all the cutbacks at the BBC at the moment - because of the Tory imposed licence fee freeze - it's quite likely the future of Doctor Who beyond next year is still up in the air. It's also quite possible that show-runner Steven Moffat will follow the format laid down by Russell T. Davies and have a year of specials in 2013 which could feature Smith - and could easily tie-in with the shows 50th anniversary. After all the fans - and even some of the stars/crew of Doctor Who - are keen for a multi-Doctor story to mark the occasion and what better way than a feature length special or two?
I kind of hope this isn't true- its too soon for Smith to leave. I'm also baffled as to why he would pass up the chance to be the Doctor for the fiftieth anniversary. And obviously its not confirmed yet.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Re: Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who?

Post by Soontir C'boath »

So what, all the merchandising still doesn't pay for Doctor Who? I thought they were making hand over fist on the toys, dvds, et al.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Soontir C'boath wrote:So what, all the merchandising still doesn't pay for Doctor Who? I thought they were making hand over fist on the toys, dvds, et al.
Oh, they'd be stupid to cancel it. Of course, sometimes stupid people run things. And they could still sell merchandise (if not as much of it) with the show off the air.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Wasn't three years the sort of 'standard' length of tenure up until Tom Baker's tenure at least?

Seems a decent length of time, long enough to have a lasting impression, not long enough to become too played out.

Still, you'd think they want to keep Smith at least until the anniversary episode. I mean, introducing a new doctor the same year you're trying to celebrate the anniversary... could be tricky. Unless you did something like the first eighth doctor novel have the new doctor discover who he is by revisiting all the old ones.

I still hope for a multi-Doctor story contain all three nuWho Doctors, even is recent stuff from Eccleston makes it sound highly unlikely.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Crazedwraith wrote:Wasn't three years the sort of 'standard' length of tenure up until Tom Baker's tenure at least?

Seems a decent length of time, long enough to have a lasting impression, not long enough to become too played out.

Still, you'd think they want to keep Smith at least until the anniversary episode. I mean, introducing a new doctor the same year you're trying to celebrate the anniversary... could be tricky. Unless you did something like the first eighth doctor novel have the new doctor discover who he is by revisiting all the old ones.

I still hope for a multi-Doctor story contain all three nuWho Doctors, even is recent stuff from Eccleston makes it sound highly unlikely.
I hope he regenerates in the 50th, it would be rather fitting in my opinion. Also, although it might make it a bit crowded, I fervently hope Paul Mcgann gets another chance to shine on screen.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Crazedwraith wrote:Wasn't three years the sort of 'standard' length of tenure up until Tom Baker's tenure at least?
Not really. Hartnell and Troughton were around for about three years each, but Pertwee stayed for five. Overall, only four of the original seven had a three-year run.
inviz345
Youngling

Post by inviz345 »

matt smith might want to conquer Hollywood with his pal Andy Garfield's. perhaps he will die and a new doctor for the 50th if so wont it be better to have the 50th with smith die and new regenerations for the doctor.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

inviz345 wrote:matt smith might want to conquer Hollywood with his pal Andy Garfield's. perhaps he will die and a new doctor for the 50th if so wont it be better to have the 50th with smith die and new regenerations for the doctor.
JasonB...is that you? :shock: :lol:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

None of that spammy crap please.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Chimaera wrote:

I hope he regenerates in the 50th, it would be rather fitting in my opinion. Also, although it might make it a bit crowded, I fervently hope Paul Mcgann gets another chance to shine on screen.
Paul Mcgann seems to be well-liked even though his film is generally held in low regard. This tells me he must have been pretty good, even though I've never seen most of his performance. And if Eccleston stays true to his word, said crowding won't be such a problem- they can just have Mcgann, Tennant, and Smith instead of Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith. I'd be cool with that.

In fact, I don't think it would be right to have a multi-Doctor episode with only new series Doctors for the 50th. anniversary. Its the anniversary of Doctor Who, not just the new series.

Anyway, I'd like Smith to stick around for a while, since he only has one actually really good season thus far (yeah, I didn't care for season six much).
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Cant say I really care about Karen Gillian going, She is attractive and all but the character is way past annoying now. Would like to see Rory stay but without Amy his presence is rather aimless. As for Matt Smith: Decent Doctor, better than Tennant for the most part and has managed to play the role rather well considering his age. That said, I want a new and OLDER Doctor that dosent pick up little girls like some peadophile though I suspect this will not change.

The 50th sounds like a good time to setup a contrived situation that results in a regeneration and I got the impression that was the whole point of the 'First Question'
Athough the quality of Torchwood and Doctor Who combined over the years and especially of late leaves me expecting it to be turned into a botch messed like Journey's End or End of Time.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

@TRR: Paul McGann is a real, legit actor. I have nothing but good things to say about him and think he would have made a fantastic and earnest doctor.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Is there any reason we can't get Paul McCann back and have an 8th Doctor series? Since we've been told repeatably that 'time can be re-written' in the new series then that should get rid of the problem of knowing he'll survive as he's a past incarnation.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

It would even allow you to have stories involving Daleks and Time Lords without having contrived reasons for their survival.

As for Paul McGann coming back for a multi-doctor special, that would be awesome. Especially if he can manage some superb put-down to Tennant.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Meh, Doctor Who movie was utter shit from the moment it began. MY favourite Doctor gets gunned down and butchered by a Nurse after years without Doctor Who... yeah, fuck you very much. :finger:
That said, the actor seemed good enough and going over his time would be a nice way to actually get him fully established on screen rather than butchered in a one-shot movie with lots of shit happening behind the screen leading up to the Time War. However, I find it exceedingly more likely Doctor Who is going to get shit canned if Matt Smith leaves. The new series has afterall reached the standard point where normal series end and finishing on the 50th with a final blaze of glory would be fairly dramatic.

Find out who the Doctor is right before he dies as the last Timelord saving the Earth taking out the Daleks once and for all ? - Might Work.

Alternatively... the 50th can have the Doctor turn into a woman... THAT would certainly create a hilarious reaction.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

PREDATOR490 wrote:Meh, Doctor Who movie was utter shit from the moment it began. MY favourite Doctor gets gunned down and butchered by a Nurse after years without Doctor Who... yeah, fuck you very much. :finger:
That said, the actor seemed good enough and going over his time would be a nice way to actually get him fully established on screen rather than butchered in a one-shot movie with lots of shit happening behind the screen leading up to the Time War. However, I find it exceedingly more likely Doctor Who is going to get shit canned if Matt Smith leaves. The new series has afterall reached the standard point where normal series end and finishing on the 50th with a final blaze of glory would be fairly dramatic.
Why would they cancel it if its still popular and successful?

Though if they were going to end it once and for all, it seems to me that the logical point to do that might be when number 13 dies.
Find out who the Doctor is right before he dies as the last Timelord saving the Earth taking out the Daleks once and for all ? - Might Work.
Oh, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Daleks return for the anniversary. They are after all the classic Doctor Who villain.
Alternatively... the 50th can have the Doctor turn into a woman... THAT would certainly create a hilarious reaction.
Oh boy. Given the fan rage and flame wars that would probably erupt, I might have to avoid the internet for a few years. :)

Not that I don't think you couldn't write a female Doctor well. Just that I doubt they would do it well, there'd probably be a big backlash, and it would probably end up being the point where the show jumped the shark in practice, even if there's no reason it has to be.
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

PREDATOR490 wrote:Meh, Doctor Who movie was utter shit from the moment it began. MY favourite Doctor gets gunned down and butchered by a Nurse after years without Doctor Who... yeah, fuck you very much. :finger:

The BBC is under enormous financial constraints at the moment. It is not going to cancel its most lucrative show.

As for Matt Smith, there's no reason that he can't do America and Doctor Who, especially if, as seems likely, they run the next season over 2012 and 2013. Maybe they film a special or two for the anniversary and it would then leave him free to spend most of his time in the US. Remember, Tennant had a spell as Hamlet in the West End whilst he was in the part.

Can we please have a black woman next time please. The internet may just melt :lol:
What is WRONG with you people
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I would love the nerdrage complaints if he regenerated into a woman, simply for the irony that nerds would be screaming "he can't turn into a woman" when they're talking about an alien....
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The idea that anything involving the Daleks could be dramatic on any level at this point is fucking hilarious. :lol: Daleks AND multiple Doctors - could a worse track record be conceived?
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

Stark wrote:The idea that anything involving the Daleks could be dramatic on any level at this point is fucking hilarious. :lol: Daleks AND multiple Doctors - could a worse track record be conceived?
It's difficult, but I think I can top it.

The Doctor regenerates into Martha Jones.
What is WRONG with you people
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Stark wrote:The idea that anything involving the Daleks could be dramatic on any level at this point is fucking hilarious. :lol: Daleks AND multiple Doctors - could a worse track record be conceived?
That's a pretty bold pronouncement- that anything, no matter what the story or who writes it, will automatically lack drama simply because it involves Daleks. Care to try to justify that?
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton each played the role for two years, however there were far more episodes produced in a given year in the 1960s than there would be in the '70s and onward. Jon Pertwee had five years, followed by Tom Baker's seven.

Peter Davison played the role for three years again, but by the time his third year was done he regretted handing in his resignation. Colin Baker played the role for two seasons spread out over three years (with a sizeable gap in between) and was then fired. Sylvester McCoy also played the role for three years, however the length of the seasons had been shortened again by this point and he would have continued for at least one more year if the show hadn't been cancelled.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Hillary wrote: It's difficult, but I think I can top it.

The Doctor regenerates into Martha Jones.
If you could get Freema back this would be the best ever. Maybe even half-Martha Doctor, like in that other horrible Dalek finale! Oh shit - swap out the Doctor for DoctorDonna! Best character ever.

I'm giggling just thinking about it. :lol:

Hey Romulan Republic, I don't know if you've heard of this show called Doctor DW Who, but it's about this guy who has fun adventures and constantly defeats the same guys doing increasingly stupid things with ever more contrived plot devices! It's just like in comic books!

When you overuse something, it gets boring. They've cut back on the tired old Daleks, but they're still a tempting cop-out for any lazy writer to inherit some pathos rather than having to actually create something. While Smiths period is pretty dodgy at least they're honestly trying something, instead of endlessly rehashing the same old fan service like RTD was wont to.

If I said 'every Dalek story after Doomsday has been shit' you'd just get upset. :lol:
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Now we have all different kinds of fan service!

Mark Gatiss said essentially the reason that they made the new Daleks in different colours was to give them the option of simply having an outpost of daleks which could be defeated (i.e. the option for small stories, rather than RAREPICDALEKS).

However, you may well have your finger on the key point in that I'm not sure that given what's gone before, even if there was a competent writer involved, it could be done.

In order to get to the point where daleks could be used as a one off 'here is a small group of daleks being fuckheads' episode rather than 'ZOMG, universal dalek menace', you'd have to establish that there are more than 5 coloured daleks now. So far, they've only been seen in clusters of 2 or 3 since the "flimsy reboot pretext" episode . Which means you'd have to do another sequence of dalek episodes or a dalek focussed arc again to establish a new Dalek empire operating across the galaxy, but would have to leave it intact. There's no way we could have that now after the daleks were done to death already.

Also, with the way they present the Doctor as a universal menace / saviour now, maybe you couldn't even write an episode about a localised dalek menace anyway. It's a quandary - how many Daleks do you need before the answer to the Doctor showing up isn't "Run away!"? If the answer is thousands, then the solution will almost invariably be a magic reset button or magic dalek hoover. If the answer is a small number, then the daleks remain wanked out and the solution will also have to be some variation on a magic / technobabble / timebabble solution.

I'm rambling, sorry.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Depleting the Daleks was necessary, but it was done by Doomsday. RTD just couldn't keep it in his pants and had to go on to make them even more powerful than before for ... No reason.

Cult escapes, cult builds oldschool Daleks, Daleks crop up regularly as regular villains with more pathos. In 2006 it would have been easy.

But we got Helen and Daleks in Manhatten instead. The 100% admitted fanservice Davros and horror.