Doctor Who S32E2, "Day of the Moon" [spoilers]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

How do you rate Day of the Moon?

5 - Fantastic!
49%
4 - Geronimo!
41%
3 - Would you like a jelly baby?
7%
2 - I'm sorry, I'm so sorry.
No votes
1 - Who da man?
3%

Total votes: 61

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Doctor Who S32E2, "Day of the Moon" [spoilers]

Post by NecronLord »

Objective Interim Spoiler Policy: All prior episodes of Doctor Who up to and including this one may be discussed without spoilers. Recent EU publications and upcoming episodes must be spoiler tagged and labelled. Previews (as released on BBC, website, etc) are not spoilers, nor is speculation derived from them.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Re: Doctor Who S32E2, "Day of the Moon" [spoilers]

Post by Jon »

Really endearing episode in the end, loved it.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Right so we're supposed to think the Doctor knocked up Amy under the silences orders. Only eventually it'll turn out to be for some other reason.

This is getting worse and worse. Doctor/Amy/Rory triangle was always the worst part of last season.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Crazedwraith wrote:Right so we're supposed to think the Doctor knocked up Amy under the silences orders. Only eventually it'll turn out to be for some other reason.

This is getting worse and worse. Doctor/Amy/Rory triangle was always the worst part of last season.
And you know this how?

I thought the episode was awesome. Really great stuff.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

You need to tape everything that happens in this office.

Alas, though, they didn't have Nixon involved with UNIT, which I thought they were going to with that "no you're not safe" thing. :(
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Laugh-out-loud moment for me: "say hello to Frost".
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

Loved the scene between Nixon and Canton at the end. Mind fucked by regenerating child. The episode seemed to fly by but the pacing was fine and the doctor's dealing with the silence was quite inventive, actually. Actually starting to appreciate what has turned out to be a multi-season arc in the relationship between the Doctor and River.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Bounty wrote: And you know this how?
The scene with the pictures implies it's Amy's kid. The final scene shows said kid regenerating implying its part Time Lord. Hence The Doctor's kid since he's the only extant time lord.

The rest is just speculation on my part.
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

Ugh. 3, and that's being generous. I figured out the Doctor's plan to use the moon landing to broadcast a suggestion the second he mentioned Armstrong's foot. If I can work out what he's going to do in advance, it'd be nice if the super devious villains could as well. But then I guess they did have to save the day in the end.

The start was a mess. It was way too rushed.

River. I hate River. For god's sake why can't someone erase her from existence? Oh, and apparently the Silence *lose* their awesome mind wiping powers towards the end, because River is able to shoot one of them without even looking at the fucking thing. *headdesk* I hate River. She's not cool, and turning her into some kind of shooty action hero doesn't make me like her.

The kid surprised me though. I expected her to suck that tramps life or eat him or something, not ... that. You know, if they really wanted to mess with people, maybe they could actually kill the Doctor off for real and replace him with a new Time Lord character. Wouldn't that just mess with everything? Even if they only did it for a one-off season or something.
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
J Ryan
Youngling

Post by J Ryan »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Bounty wrote: And you know this how?
The scene with the pictures implies it's Amy's kid. The final scene shows said kid regenerating implying its part Time Lord. Hence The Doctor's kid since he's the only extant time lord.

The rest is just speculation on my part.
Based on what they were saying in the episode though and the TARDIS giving her a reading as pregnant and not at the same time, I thought it was more being pregnant and going hoping through time and space, does in fact give kids a Time-Head.
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

I liked the American bloke. Hope he recurs in future episodes. It'd make some sense for him to do so as the Doctor sets things up for the starting point, I think.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Revy wrote:River. I hate River. For god's sake why can't someone erase her from existence? Oh, and apparently the Silence *lose* their awesome mind wiping powers towards the end, because River is able to shoot one of them without even looking at the fucking thing.
She could see where Rory was looking.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Incidentally, whoever was saying that Americans could hold the Doctor when no one else could... hah.
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

Wasn't there a short story that had the same plot as this? I remember a story where this guy goes on stage with a hypnotist, and is told to "wake up". He does, to the point where he can actually see thousands of aliens walking the earth that humans have been brainwashed not to see, and there are hypnotic suggestions everywhere telling us how to behave. In the end he manages to make a broadcast using their powers telling the whole world to wake up in the same way he did, and humanity fights the aliens off. But he still dies on a Thursday the way he was told to at the start of the story.

Does anyone know that one?
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Revy wrote:Wasn't there a short story that had the same plot as this? I remember a story where this guy goes on stage with a hypnotist, and is told to "wake up". He does, to the point where he can actually see thousands of aliens walking the earth that humans have been brainwashed not to see, and there are hypnotic suggestions everywhere telling us how to behave. In the end he manages to make a broadcast using their powers telling the whole world to wake up in the same way he did, and humanity fights the aliens off. But he still dies on a Thursday the way he was told to at the start of the story.
I've read various very similar stories. One of the best involved tiny robots simulating a town. I think the author was lautner, or laufner... something like that, in a collection of short stories.

In terms of the episode... it was quite fun. I certainly enjoyed it. The kid at the end, I was very surprised. Cant wait to see where that goes.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

Good episode, though it's full verdict won't be known until the season finishes.

Would have liked to see some degree of to and fro between the Silence and the Doctor in their quasi-TARDIS (STARDIS? :p), was a touch off to have the Doctor not offer them a genuine chance to back down. Though it was possibly because he felt they were too entrenched.
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

So is the kid Susan Foreman, then? In an earlier (or possibly later) regeneration?
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Heh, good episode although I was expecting things to be more pro-tracted into a long season arc.

The ending really pisses me off and the implications of the silence being around for .... how long ?
What... the Silence were around when Daleks were invading.... when Tennant was around ?

As for the girl - I'm guessing Amy was pregnant and the child has mixed Timelord heritage somehow. Silence trying to create a new Timelord race or something blah blah. On the one hand - fair enough but if this season is going to play off like this it wont be really judgeable until the end.

River Song - Here we go again with that fucked up situation of her throwing herself off a building but what the hell. I'm going to politely smile and grit my teeth in the hopes this season is going to do away with her. I'm getting the distinct vibe River Song is going to be heavy this season as a means of getting her done and out.
Apparantly the Doctor is going to be kissing River from now on.... and that was the 'last' time for her.

Alternative possibility: The little girl is the product of River Song + Doctor. Amy's child - fuck knows.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

So how does the Silence become such a big threat later on? How do they develop TARDIS like technology if all they can use is scavenge alien tech? In fact how did they get hold of alien tech if they are stuck on Earth? So many questions? I sure hope they are answered. However tentatively I gave this episode a 4.

I am going to get pissed off if that girl turns out to be the Doctor's love child or some shit. :D
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

So are regenerations going to be the "Bad Wolf" of this season? We've had one in every episode so far.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

So... in 1969 when I was watching Armstrong set foot on the Moon live on TV and my sister Nancy turned to me and said “Remember this, it's important” this is what she meant?

!!!BLAM!!!!

Huh... why did I just....

“Remember this, it's important” this is what she meant? Oh, wait – didn't I just say all that?

Anyhow, why are there two 3's in the poll but no 4?
Crazedwraith wrote:Right so we're supposed to think the Doctor knocked up Amy under the silences orders. Only eventually it'll turn out to be for some other reason.
According to canon Time Lords can't knock anyone up, not even other Time Lords. They're all made on “genetic looms”, whatever the hell those are.

Now, an engineered child... that might be possible.
Drooling Iguana wrote:So is the kid Susan Foreman, then? In an earlier (or possibly later) regeneration?
I would put that down as one possible explanation.
Alternative possibility: The little girl is the product of River Song + Doctor. Amy's child - fuck knows.
Amy's carrying River's and The Doctor's child? After all, jail is hardly a good environment in which to have a baby....
I thought it was a different sort of Doctor/companions thing than in the past. I didn't mind it. I even enjoy it sometimes. But there's no disputing taste, or the fact I'm pretty damn weird.
Revy wrote:Wasn't there a short story that had the same plot as this? I remember a story where this guy goes on stage with a hypnotist, and is told to "wake up". He does, to the point where he can actually see thousands of aliens walking the earth that humans have been brainwashed not to see, and there are hypnotic suggestions everywhere telling us how to behave. In the end he manages to make a broadcast using their powers telling the whole world to wake up in the same way he did, and humanity fights the aliens off. But he still dies on a Thursday the way he was told to at the start of the story.

Does anyone know that one?
Yes. Twlight Zone or Night Galley, one of the Rod Serling hosted shows. Gosh, haven't seen or thought about that one in a long, long time. You know, I think that episode may have run back in '69, '70.... naw, couldn't have been inspired by – no, not possible.
Bounty wrote:Laugh-out-loud moment for me: "say hello to Frost".
For me it was “Oh, they'll never forget you!” No, we haven't....
NecronLord wrote:
Revy wrote:River. I hate River. For god's sake why can't someone erase her from existence? Oh, and apparently the Silence *lose* their awesome mind wiping powers towards the end, because River is able to shoot one of them without even looking at the fucking thing.
She could see where Rory was looking.
That was my take on it – you could see Rory start to react, so River knew there was Something Awful behind her.

I can't say I like River, but I don't find her as annoying as a lot of other folks do. Really, it's a bittersweet relationship at best, like with their kiss this episode being the Doctor's first with her, and River's last with him at the same time.
PREDATOR490 wrote:The ending really pisses me off and the implications of the silence being around for .... how long ?
What... the Silence were around when Daleks were invading.... when Tennant was around ?
Well, yeah – it's just that no one could remember seeing them.
River Song - Here we go again with that fucked up situation of her throwing herself off a building but what the hell.
“She does that.”

But it can get old real quick, I knew that she would survive it, and how.
I'm going to politely smile and grit my teeth in the hopes this season is going to do away with her.
The thing is, the first episode we saw her in she died – so we KNOW when we see her again she has to survive. The only hope for the River-haters is that they have an episode where it's her first time meeting The Doctor, because that's the only way it will be the last time for us.

Anyhow - I did think the twist of using the Silents' own post-hypnotic power against them was a nice touch, very Doctorish. Reminded me a bit of the ending of "The Family of Blood" in that when you really piss off The Doctor his solution can be both diabolical and ruthless. (Of course, it's also very different than the ending of FoB because the FoB was given a nasty immortality whereas the Silents' are the victims of those they enslaved - nice karmic payback/hoisting by one's own petard.)

As for how the Silents get to be such a threat later on - maybe enough survived that they were able to rebuild some numbers and attempt to go after The Doctor?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

That was really a mixed bag.

Plus side -- looks gorgeous. The CGI work has really gotten top-notch. No more dodgy plywood sets, laughable costumes, and embarrassing shortcuts. Not sure why people hate River. Her concept and execution I've been quite fond of. It's nice to see a Companion who can contribute to the story instead of just standing around. Rose was probably the most progressive of the NuWho companions up to this point but she was still a baseline human. A sidekick like that's not good for much except getting captured and needing a rescue. So even if you hate the execution of the River character, you can't argue that the concept itself is bad. No, it's badly needed.

Down side -- Ugh, the script is a horrid mess. There were a few nice, quiet moments but it spent too much time trying to be clever. A proper Doctor Who mindfuck doesn't feel forced, it just comes up all natural and throws your brain sideways and you're left with a silly grin saying "Gorblimey if that aint a pisser!" A poorly done mindfuck just leaves you feeling disappointed and offended. "That's supposed to be entertainment? M. Night Shyamalan called and says quit ripping him off."
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Why does everyone assume that Time Lord DNA has to come from the Doctor?

There is a second Time Lord still in existence - Jenny. If the Silence got her DNA, and implanted it into Amy, well there you go, instant Time Lord kid.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Some of the comments I am seeing being bandied about made me sick.
Here's my guess: The little girl is Amy's daughter--- River Song!
Doctor knocks up Amy.... and is River's father.... oh for fuck sake :finger:

On the one hand... River did indicate she had known him since childhood and from here on... we should be seeing River Song getting younger as she begins to know the Doctor less and he knows her more. Folks do seem to think River is going to kill the Doctor which would make this hilariously ironic. Of course, the alternative source for timelord DNA would be the Master. Either in full return or a remnant acquired when he was around.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

PREDATOR490 wrote:Some of the comments I am seeing being bandied about made me sick.
Here's my guess: The little girl is Amy's daughter--- River Song!
Doctor knocks up Amy.... and is River's father.... oh for fuck sake :finger:
Oh EWWWWWWWWWWWW! That would be incest! AGH! ::::scrubs brain furiously, adds bleach, scrubs more::::

Seriously, you have to be VERY fucked up to even think that.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice