Firefly fans trying to raise money to bring back show

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Fire Fly
Jedi Council Member

Firefly fans trying to raise money to bring back show

Post by Fire Fly »

This apparently started it all:
Q: If Castle had its series finale tomorrow and Fox said to you and Joss: "We screwed up, let's try doing 'Firefly' again." Would you do it?

Nathan Fillion: Yes. Yes. I would examine very closely Fox’s reasoning — I'm a little gun-shy. If I got $300 million from the California Lottery, the first thing I would do is buy the rights to "Firefly," make it on my own, and distribute it on the Internet.
This has prompted people to begin some sort of a fundraising attempt. See here and here (facebook).

CNN has picked up this story and apparently some of the writers and actors have acknowledged that they would be game if it worked.
Internet-savvy 'Firefly' fans fly back into the fight

(CNN) -- True Browncoats, like the fictional freedom fighters they named themselves after, don't give up easily.

Those diehard fans of "Firefly," the 2002 cult TV hit, have a history of turning to the internet to buck improbable odds in defense of their favorite show.

Now, they're at it again.

Just days after an apparently offhand comment from Nathan Fillion, who played Capt. Malcolm Reynolds on the short-lived Fox series, the Web has once again lit up with efforts to revive the sci-fi franchise.

Last week, Fillion, who now stars in ABC's "Castle," told Entertainment Weekly he'd love to play Mal again. Then, he ratcheted things up a notch.

"If I got $300 million from the California Lottery, the first thing I would do is buy the rights to "Firefly," make it on my own, and distribute it on the internet," Fillion told EW, a CNN.com partner.

Then, some possibly surprising online reactions started rolling in.

The next day, former "Firefly" writer Jose Molina wrote on Twitter: "For what it's worth, I've told him I'd drop what I was doing and follow."

Then, Jane Espenson, who wrote an episode, chimed in: "I'm there, if needed," she tweeted.

Jewel Staite, who played ace mechanic Kaylee on the show, had a simple answer when a Twitter follower asked if she'd be on board: "Is the Pope Catholic?"

That was more than enough for fans (whose "Browncoat" nickname, by the way, comes from the Western-style dusters worn by Fillion and others on the show).

A website, "Help Nathan Buy Firefly," popped up, under the title "Let's get the Captain his money."

The goal? To set up a means of collecting pledges that would turn into donations if a revived "Firefly" looks like it could become a reality.

The pledge system hadn't been officially created as of Tuesday, but fans were already writing in the site's comment section that they're willing to pony up.

In five days, the site's Facebook group had picked up more than 33,000 members -- about 10,000 of them in the past 24 hours.

The two creators of the site are remaining publicly anonymous for now. In an email to CNN (which came from an address linked to the site and was mentioned on the group's Facebook page), they said they work in the nonprofit field but "have no credentials to speak of" in the TV/film industry or "Firefly" community.

They acknowledged that the odds that Fillion was serious about buying the show's rights are "pretty low," but hope the community's willingness to support some sort of revamped "Firefly" will encourage creator Joss Whedon or someone else with the proper clout to make a move.

"Joss paid out of pocket to make [Web series] 'Dr. Horrible,' and it's not only paid him back, it's paid the folks involved," they said in the email. "We'd like to see him be willing to let fans become his pocket and revisit ['Firefly']."

They say they "won't take a penny" from anyone until someone like Whedon or Fillion gets involved in an effort to revive the show and would look to set up a not-for-profit foundation or something of the sort if that happens.

Other devotees of the cult favorite say they're not surprised by the quick Web action.

"I couldn't believe it when I first read the story," said Brian Harvard, co-creator of the 25,000-member-strong "Bring Back Firefly" Facebook page. "Then, all of a sudden, everyone's posting these links to the 'Help Nathan Buy Firefly' page and I said, 'We've got to help get the word out about this.' "

Even before "Firefly" was officially sacked in 2002, fans had taken to the Web to try to save it. Using the online tools of the early 2000s -- message boards, fan sites, chat rooms and LiveJournal blogs -- they organized. Call it an early example of crowd-sourcing.

They collected money for an ad in Variety, organized a postcard-writing campaign to Universal Pictures and, when the DVD box set was released, raised $14,000 to put copies on 250 Navy ships for the crews to watch.

The fan base's self-styled guerrilla marketing is widely considered to have helped Whedon get funding for 2005's "Serenity," a feature film that draws together some of the loose ends from the series.

"On the internet, that was one of the first times you've seen such a drive to bring something back," Harvard said. "Now, with the advent of Facebook? My goodness -- that's probably the most useful tool, next to the internet itself, to really bring some fire under this movement."

Harvard acknowledges that Fillion's comment sounds like an off-the-cuff quip. (And 20th Century Fox, which owns the rights to "Firefly," hasn't expressed any desire to sell them.)

But he says that doesn't mean nothing will come out of the internet reaction to it.

"Even if this project goes nowhere, at least it's something to show the powers-that-be that there's a product there that could be making them some money," he said.

Fillion was talking about the series after the Science Channel announced they'd be airing reruns of the original series. The episodes, which begin airing at 8 p.m. March 6, will include segments with the network's Dr. Michio Kaku commentating on the science portrayed in the show.
Could it be pulled off?
Fire Fly
Jedi Council Member

Re: Firefly fans trying to raise money to bring back show

Post by Fire Fly »

And a little humorous clip.

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

That's just sad. I mean really, they got a movie out of the series, it didn't do very well, who would ever bring this series back? Yes, it was a good show, but its over now.

Its like the Sopranos man. Its over. Find a new show :)

(SPAAAAAAARRRRRRTTTAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!)

EDIT: I hope Community doesn't get canceled. I really like it.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Vympel wrote:That's just sad. I mean really, they got a movie out of the series, it didn't do very well, who would ever bring this series back? Yes, it was a good show, but its over now.

Its like the Sopranos man. Its over. Find a new show :)
Yeah, it's like that SciFi series back in the 1960's, you know, the one with a womanizing captain and his sidekick with the pointed ears and that space doc? What was it called, Star Trek?. Yeah, they tried to bring that one back, too, but nothing ever came of it...

... oh, wait.

Yes, it's a very long shot but it is possible.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Vympel wrote:That's just sad. I mean really, they got a movie out of the series, it didn't do very well, who would ever bring this series back? Yes, it was a good show, but its over now.
For now it is, but there'd be nothing preventing it coming back. BSG came back for caprica and other stuff I didn't watch, lol.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

What's unlikely is that a private fundraising effort by the fans will be able to brute-force the problem, since the company (companies?) that own the rights seem bound and determined to play dog in the manger.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Yeah, it's like that SciFi series back in the 1960's, you know, the one with a womanizing captain and his sidekick with the pointed ears and that space doc? What was it called, Star Trek?. Yeah, they tried to bring that one back, too, but nothing ever came of it...

... oh, wait.

Yes, it's a very long shot but it is possible.
That's a totally different issue. This is an attempt to raise funds to do the show, not pressure a studio into bringing a show back. That's just delusional. Firefly is not coming back. Again - Firefly got a movie. It bombed. It's over.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

TOS also had a large body of episodes, 70+. Firefly didn't even make it to 20.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I agree with what Aaron said in the other thread where this came up, the show was good but you could tell it was going to be about River and frankly I couldn't care less to watch a show about some deranged teenaged girl with superpowers and wushu. (PS Joss, find a different plot hook, this one's gotten old)
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Yeah, Whedon buys into that mythological martial arts marketing bullshit, where ~50kg girls can take down men over double her size and weight. Bloody ridiculous.

I don't remember any of that nonsense being in Firefly itself (my memory is hazy) but Serenity showed where it was going to go. Ugh.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

So they aren't even taking actual money? Just "pledges"? So if people get called on how many will say "Ooo I can't" or "I can't do as much as I said earlier..."

I pledge ten thousand rays of hope and fifty pounds of sunshine to whomever restarts Firefly. I'll even throw in some wishful thinking! No really I promise!

Star Trek was off the air for TEN YEARS before they even made a feature film about it and that film was a hit (grossed about three times its budget). Meanwhile the supposedly endless legion of Browncoats couldn't even help Serenity turn a profit (failed to gross what it's budget was!) after Firefly had been off for about 3 years. Let's not make that comparison without recognizing that the comparison isn't really there beyond "sci fi show got cancelled, movie made later". Plus, how many of these actors have moved on?

"Hey Summer Glau we're bringing back Firefly...well the fans are going to help finance it...I wouldn't say it's a glorified fan film...what? how much? well it's not going to be much but...hello?"

"Hey Morena Baccarin I know you're busy with "V" and all but...yeah i'll hold.................Morena?..........Damnit."

"Adam Baldwin! You wan't to come back and do Firefly? No? Can you get Billy to do it? What do you mean you aren't related?"

This always happens every once in a while and the fans get really excited but in the end there really isn't as much money to be made off that series as people think. Especially given the supposedly high production costs.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Vympel wrote:Yeah, Whedon buys into that mythological martial arts marketing bullshit, where ~50kg girls can take down men over double her size and weight. Bloody ridiculous.
Not really, because he gives all those 50kg girls superpowers anyway. For example, it's not the martial arts that lets Buffy kick ass, but the fact she's a slayer. Similarly River is a psychic.

Zoe was more of a badass than River in terms of being a practical, no-fuss fighter, so it's not like Joss can't write alternatives. River simply has superpowers.
I don't remember any of that nonsense being in Firefly itself (my memory is hazy) but Serenity showed where it was going to go. Ugh.
Actually the show handled it better, like when River shot those two or three dudes in 'War Stories' almost without looking, scaring the crap out of Kaylee in the process.

But Serenity pushed the 'kung fu' aspect too hard, to the point where it was pretty cringe-worthy to be honest. I would rather see River be scarily accurate with guns instead.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Not really, because he gives all those 50kg girls superpowers anyway. For example, it's not the martial arts that lets Buffy kick ass, but the fact she's a slayer. Similarly River is a psychic.
Being a psychic doesn't give a 40-50kg waif the muscle mass to throw scores of men around dude. I'm talking about River specifically though, not Buffy.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Vympel wrote:
Being a psychic doesn't give a 40-50kg waif the muscle mass to throw scores of men around dude. I'm talking about River specifically though, not Buffy.
We don't exactly know how her superpowers work. She can do more than simply read minds. So when I see her throw around those heavies, I rationalise it as 'well must be because of her psychic superpowers'. It's the only way I can suspend my disbelief. :)

And I wasn't just talking about River, my whole point is this is something Whedon keeps doing - Buffy, all the other Slayers, River etc. I didn't see Dollhouse though so I don't know if he mixed it up a little with whoever Eliza Dushku played.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Not worth it.

Series was good and might have gone somewhere but the movie completely ass-raped any chance for a follow-up. River might have turned into something more interesting in the series but the movie relegated her to trained assassin with mind-reading powers. They also went and killed two of the series characters in the movie as well. One of which was easily the most likeable.

Could it be brought back ?
Probably

Is it going to suck ?
Very likely.

They already blew their big reveal over River's past, the Doc gets the girl and the Reavers / Alliance got hammered.

There would be more chance for Farscape to come back and have somewhere to go than Firefly.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

It could probably still work, but only as Deadwood in Space... Which would be an interesting concept. Mal settles down and becomes the sheriff of a frontier bordermoon and Jayne goes to work for Space Swearengen. And Zoe becomes Black Space Calamity Jane.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

I'm a big fan of Firefly, and I don't want to rain all over the browncoats' parade, but the truth is that nobody liked Firefly. Sure it has a fanatically devoted fanbase, but they have delusions of being much larger than they are, I think. Try pitching Firefly to most people. You can't get them to even consider watching it ("A space western? What is this shit?"). The premise is too peculiar and the cost too great for a show with very niche appeal. Getting fucked by Fox hurt, but I doubt the show would have lasted much longer even if they had given it a better time slot and heavier promotion.

Besides, Joss Whedon would have ruined Firefly if it had been left on air. As is we can remember it as a science fiction martyr instead of something that started out good but got buried by its creator's bullshit.

If they were to revive Firefly, I would recommend they reboot the continuity and change some things on account of Serenity spoiling everything as well as undoing much of Firefly's character development.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

Kingmaker wrote:A space western? What is this shit?
Mr. Roddenberry would like to have a few words with you. Those words being his five word pitch for arguably the most successful science-fiction television show: Wagon Train, To The Stars!
Pretty much every sci-fi show in the Star Trek vane is some variation on WTTTS. Babylon 5, Seaquest DSV, Farscape, Battlestar Galactica (In this case, Mormon handcart pioneers to the Stars!), Firefly was just rather meta about the whole thing.

I fear too that the time is past for Firefly, but it can't be worse than the rest of the crap on TV right now. I'd prefer a new TV series to take place, by whatever hand-wave is needed, between Objects in Space and the Movie.
DudeGuyMan
Jedi Knight

Post by DudeGuyMan »

Broomstick wrote:Yeah, it's like that SciFi series back in the 1960's, you know, the one with a womanizing captain and his sidekick with the pointed ears and that space doc? What was it called, Star Trek?. Yeah, they tried to bring that one back, too, but nothing ever came of it...
These Trek/Firefly comparisons always overlook the fact that Trek spent a decade in syndication, becoming a pop-cultural milestone much to everyone's surprise, before finally being resurrected. Nobody but a tiny hardcore fringe ever gave a crap about Firefly.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

eion wrote:
Kingmaker wrote:A space western? What is this shit?
Mr. Roddenberry would like to have a few words with you. Those words being his five word pitch for arguably the most successful science-fiction television show: Wagon Train, To The Stars!
Pretty much every sci-fi show in the Star Trek vane is some variation on WTTTS. Babylon 5, Seaquest DSV, Farscape, Battlestar Galactica (In this case, Mormon handcart pioneers to the Stars!), Firefly was just rather meta about the whole thing.
Yeah except Star Trek isn't in any way, shape or form a space western. Star Trek owes more to Horatio Hornblower, which is its closest literary antecedent, as was Forbidden Planet from the sci-fi side of things. Firefly on the other hand, is literally a space western. Some people like that aesthetic, but other people are going to be put off by it.
DudeGuyMan wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Yeah, it's like that SciFi series back in the 1960's, you know, the one with a womanizing captain and his sidekick with the pointed ears and that space doc? What was it called, Star Trek?. Yeah, they tried to bring that one back, too, but nothing ever came of it...
These Trek/Firefly comparisons always overlook the fact that Trek spent a decade in syndication, becoming a pop-cultural milestone much to everyone's surprise, before finally being resurrected. Nobody but a tiny hardcore fringe ever gave a crap about Firefly.
YOU CAN'T STOP THE SIGNAL
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Fans pledging or coughing up their own money won't bring the show back to broadcast TV, but it might be enough to bring it to the Internet, somewhat like Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-Long Blog. Wouldn't be the same, of course, but that would probably be for the best. Could be a series of stories about the individual characters, made when the actors are available. The fans could get their Firefly fix, and hey, new form of entertainment outside the established studio networks. Like I said, it's a long shot, but not impossible.

I happened to like the series, it's one of the few I own on DVD, but I haven't got a pony in this race. If more of the series is produced I'll watch it but if not, I'll enjoy what I have. Wish there had been more, but that's the way things go.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

DudeGuyMan wrote:
Well, pretty much.

That said, the gap between the original series and the second one was more like twenty years than ten; there was a period when I doubt anyone seriously expected Trek to become a major success. Conversely, Firefly wouldn't have to succeed on the scale of Star Trek for something along those lines to be produced for at least a few seasons.

The things that become pop-cultural milestones are not necessarily the ones that are most popular at the time, or that remain in the public eye on a continuous basis. So while I'm not saying "revive Firefly is a great idea!" I do think it's an idea with some potential, and one that shouldn't be ruled out because there aren't millions upon millions of Firefly fans banging down the doors of Fox's corporate headquarters demanding that it be brought back.
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

eion wrote: Mr. Roddenberry would like to have a few words with you. Those words being his five word pitch for arguably the most successful science-fiction television show: Wagon Train, To The Stars!
None of those shows are space westerns except by the tortured logic. I hardly think that Gene Roddenberry deserves credit for coming up with the notion of an episodic show. Besides which, Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica are only somewhat episodic; they both spend nearly as much time developing theirbb long-term story arc as doing problem of the week stuff.

On the subject of reviving Firefly, I read through some of the comments at HNBFF and its hard not to laugh. The handful of fanatics who want to revive the series don't want a new series, they want the old series back. Never mind that it has been 8 and half years, and that most of the old cast already have projects. Second, as usual the browncoats grossly overestimate how many of them there are. Even then, they don't quite grasp that its not just a matter of funding for Fox, its a matter of opportunity cost. They could relaunch a million dollar an episode scifi show that will catch maybe a few hundred thousand nerds, or they could do America's Next Top Apprentice Porn Idol, which has a tenth the per-episode cost and will pull in an order of magnitude more viewers. If people really want something like Firefly, they should approach Joss Whedon about doing a new project, not trying to revive an old one. I do think there is something to be said for experimenting more with direct-to-consumer production (which in the US is reserved for shit movies), but Firefly is not how to go about it.

And +1 to the people who didn't really want to sit and watch Joss Whedon wax philosophical over a superpowered adolescent girl.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

A new project would, yeah, probably be a better idea. If we had a functioning science fiction channel, they would be the obvious people to contact Whedon and see if they could get a similar project going- not Firefly, but something inspired along the same lines, as Kingmaker suggests. Unfortunately, we don't... and the demographic reasons why we don't have a lot to do with why the show isn't going anywhere soon.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

I never quite understood the fanaticism of the Browncoats. The show was good, but do I miss it? No. It's no nBSG in it's heyday and it's not something that I generally see sci-fi fans clammoring for. It was just a good show that stood out from the ordinary but these people just refuse to let it die.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2