Sci-fi lines that just hurt to listen to

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Metahive
Sith Devotee

Sci-fi lines that just hurt to listen to

Post by Metahive »

A thread about lines in sci-fi shows and movies that are so absurdly wrong or stupid, it hurts to even listen to them. My example is from a little known german sci-fi show called "Raumpatrouille Orion/Space Patrol Orion" that came out around the same time as ST TOS. It's from the show's second episode, a rogue astronomic body is heading towards Earth (secretly guided by that show's alien antagonists), threatening the planet with destruction. This astronomic body is described thus:

"Im Gebiet der Jagdhunde wurde ein Planet aus seiner Bahn geworfen. Es handelt sich eindeutig um eine Supernova. Dieser Schnellläufer rast auf die Erde zu. Geschätzte Geschwindigkeit etwa 146.000 km/sek. Sein Radius gelangt in den Bereich der Riesensterne. Er hat die physikalischen Eigenschaften einer Sonne und wird die Erde binnen kürzester Frist erreicht haben."

Roughly translated:

"A planet was thrown off its orbit in the constellation of the Canes Venatici. It is without doubt a supernova. This high velocity star is dashing towards Earth. Estimated speed is about 146.000 km/sec. His radius is about that of a giant star, he has the phyiscal properties of a sun and will reach Earth within a short period of time."

Can you spot all the errors?

More examples are appreciated.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Re: Sci-fi lines that just hurt to listen to

Post by Stofsk »

Something about there being a crack in the event horizon?
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Good pick, I even found a transcription from that episode on-line, so let's list 'em up:

NEELIX: "A singularity is a star that's collapsed in on itself. The event horizon is a very powerful energy field surrounding it."

TORRES: "It might be enough to cut through the event horizon."

TUVOK: "Engaging tractor beam. It's working. Beam is penetrating the event horizon."

PARIS: "I'm picking up something. A slight irregularity. It could be a rupture in the event horizon."

:lol:
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I would add "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow", however that has just become so old that its either just brushed off or use to self reference and laugh at itself.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Anything trying to sound smart of technical.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

"He would only build a weapon of this magnitude for one reason: he's going after Earth" - the infamous ST Nemesis

[condensed version]let's not build a city, let's break up the population into tiny groups, abandon all our technology and live like primitives[end condensed version] - nBSG

"The Earth's magnetic core...has stopped rotating" - Core

"Your bomb is designed to slide down this shaft, strike a fracture in the Earth's inner surface, and so release the magnetic core of this planet. But the fracture lies near the meeting point of the magnetic influence of the North and South poles. One mistake. One deviation in the aiming of your bomb, and enough magnetic energy will be released to destroy you." - Dr Who, Daleks Invasion Earth 2150AD
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Any time in a movie when they state that when something nuclear powered goes critical, it will explode like a thermonuclear bomb! Let's also not forget the meltdown =Chernobyl's big brother in terms of destruction.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

How about the part from "Day after Tomorrow"
Satellite readings are showing a temperature drop of 10 degrees per second.

Which means in a minute it would drop by 600 degrees :lol:
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

"He's got space dementia!" - the Shuttle Commander when Steve Buscemi's character cracks up ("Armageddon")

"We saved the world." - Ripley, as she watches a ship she crashed into Earth explode with what looks like the force of 100 Hiroshima's ("Alien Resurrection")
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Skylon wrote: "We saved the world." - Ripley, as she watches a ship she crashed into Earth explode with what looks like the force of 100 Hiroshima's ("Alien Resurrection")
100 Hiroshimas is just 1.5 Mt, so not a big deal unless it hit a populated area :mrgreen:
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

"That could just be orbital wobble."

Highlander: The Source, upon one of the Immortals being told that all of the planets of the solar system have shifted out of alignment (and are now larger in the sky than THE MOON)
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Given the flick stated that it was aimed for a uninhabitable quadrant, it probably wasn't too big a deal to the people who were still on the planet that was already shit, remember the view of Paris at the end? The ecosystem on the other hand...
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Metahive wrote:NEELIX: "A singularity is a star that's collapsed in on itself. The event horizon is a very powerful energy field surrounding it."
I actually find this more hilarious than the "crack" thing. Given all the funky physics in Star Trek I could buy an assymetrical gravity field around a black hole but this is just flat out lol.

I nominate the most recent movie version of The Time Machine (paraphrased cause I'm too lazy to bother actually looking it up):

"The demolition charges for the moon colony knocked the moon out of orbit!"

... talk about sci fi having no sense of scale.

For added hilarity he looked right up and saw the moon hanging directly overhead and apparently kissing the Roche Limit as it was already breaking up ... uh, how is New York not underwater with the megatides that would be raising?

Well, aside from "there aren't any oceans anymore because the massive tidal heating turned Earth into a ball of molten rock", but then the question becomes how is he not standing in a sea of lava or at least instantly fried from finding himself in a super-dense water vapor atmosphere?
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Junghalli wrote:
Metahive wrote:NEELIX: "A singularity is a star that's collapsed in on itself. The event horizon is a very powerful energy field surrounding it."
"The demolition charges for the moon colony knocked the moon out of orbit!"

... talk about sci fi having no sense of scale.

That line has got to be the single DUMBEST line I've ever heard in a flick. Just out of curiosity, I wonder how powerful said charges would have to be to blow the moon out of orbit without just blowing the moon into pieces?

—anonymous

adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Any time Jeff Goldblum opens his goddamn mouth in Jurassic Park.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

In the book, I think, he had the excuse of literally being high at least.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Night_stalker wrote:That line has got to be the single DUMBEST line I've ever heard in a flick. Just out of curiosity, I wonder how powerful said charges would have to be to blow the moon out of orbit without just blowing the moon into pieces?
Well for crashing the moon into Earth you could plug the orbital velocity and mass into the KE equation:

1/2(7.3477 X 10^22)(1022^2) = 3.84 X 10^28

About 10 million teratons.

Mind you this is somewhat of an overestimate since you don't need to crash it completely just bring it within the Roche Limit (about 10,000 km above Earth's surface or ~1/20 its present distance) and in fact the film backs this up as there were still fragments hanging around in orbit later, but should be good enough to give an idea of what a ridiculous feat we're talking about.

Incidentally for fun tides scale by r^3 so at the Roche limit the moon would be raising tides about 8000X higher. I'm not actually sure what surface conditions would be like on such a world but I suspect the movie is also lolworthy in the degree to which it underestimates how utterly this would fuck up the world.
Last edited by Junghalli on 2010-12-05 06:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

About 10 million teratons.

The Time Machine can beat Star Wars confirmed.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

adam_grif wrote:The Time Machine can beat Star Wars confirmed.
lol

Although I'm inclined to think it may actually take place in an alternate universe where the moon is just a largish captured asteroid (or something along those lines) orbiting not very far above the Roche Limit anyway.

The whole thing is more sane that way. Mind you it's probably not a complete fix but at least it doesn't make my SoD scream "oh please stop hurting me!" quite so much.
Talhe
Padawan Learner

Post by Talhe »

From Threshold alone:

"In principle, if you were ever to reach warp 10, you'd be traveling at infinite velocity."
"Infinite velocity, got it. So, that means very fast."

"The mutations we observed are natural."
"Natural?"
"The changes in his DNA are consistent with the evolutionary development of the human genotype over the past 4 million years."
"Are you saying Paris is evolving?"
"That's my theory."

Star Trek is really a goldmine of stupid quotes.
What can change the nature of Man?

-Ravel Puzzlewel, Planescape: Torment
keen320
Youngling

Post by keen320 »

adam_grif wrote:Any time Jeff Goldblum opens his goddamn mouth in Jurassic Park.
I suppose the guy in charge of the park might have had reasons to find a stupid scientist... although he should have realized it doesn't take a genius to figure out a park full of dinosaurs is a recipe for disaster.
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

Great heavens! That's a laser!
Yes, Dr. Scott. A laser capable of emitting a beam of pure anti-matter.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Oh, come on, that's from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. You can't take that seriously. About five minutes later they teleported to the planet Transexual in the galaxy of Transylvania.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Gil Hamilton wrote:Oh, come on, that's from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. You can't take that seriously. About five minutes later they teleported to the planet Transexual in the galaxy of Transylvania.
Doesn't make the line itself any less stupid. Sure, it may or may not be so on purpose (as are the Infinite Improbability Drive, Other People's Problem Field and Bistromatic Drive and any number of other things from HHGTTG) but ignoring the context it is presented in, that line IS bloody freaking dumb.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

Gil Hamilton wrote:Oh, come on, that's from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. You can't take that seriously. About five minutes later they teleported to the planet Transexual in the galaxy of Transylvania.
Yes, but it was THAT line that ruined my suspension of disbelief with the movie. :lol:

Ok, you want another dumb line? "Ssssh!!! Lisssssooon!"

Ok, you need context for that one. It was Wing Commander the Movie where they reenacted Das Boot with Kilrathi destroyers depth-charging them. And they had to be quiet so the Kilrathi couldn't hear them on their space hydrophones.

See, that's every bit as stupid as the antimatter laser line but you need a context for it. The antimatter laser line is stupid regardless of context.