Transformers Prime

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Transformers Prime

Post by LadyTevar »

So, anyone else seen the 5 preview episodes?

Nitram and I are enjoying the OldSchool Weiken & Cullen voices for Megs & Prime. The Animation and some of the story is based on the Bay movies, but we can forgive that. The Fight Scenes are extremely well-done, wickedly furious and near KungFu (especially from Arcee). The Dialogue is sharp, snappy, although the humans are a bit annoying, especially the girl Miko. hopefully she grows up.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Re: Transformers Prime

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

I saw a couple of them. I think it's pretty cool.
The only thing I don't like is Bumble Bee's chirping and beeping for a voice.
Seriously, can't he just talk.
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Its a shame that even though the War for Cybertron game is apparently a part of the Prime continuity, they used those really terrible designs.
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

Overall, I thought it was well written. It was better then Revenge of the Fallen.

My only compliment is I would have liked to see more transformer characters used on both sides.
"Single-minded persistence in the face of futility is what humanity does best." Tim Ferguson
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Well, been a while. I'm surprised this thread got buried, since Prime has proved itself the equal (or better) than BeastWars for story and characterization. The season arcs have been tight, with Unicron's Blood, Prime/Pax, the Keys of Cybertron, and now Shockwave and his new 'pets'.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I've been following it, and i'm kinda bummed that this is going to be the last season. I liked the first four eps of the season and the new dynamic that they set up, but then they stopped showing new eps for like two weeks for some reason so i've got a bit of catching up to do.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Prime is awesome. It's written by the same guys who wrote the TF live action films too, but for some reason it doesn't utterly suck like they did. I did not know this was the last season though, that's a shame. I wish they hadn't upgraded Optimus though. One thing that never seems to have been done right in a long time is the Prime/Megatron battle. One should not wipe the floor with the other but they should battle as equals (like they did at the end of season 1.

On a related note and of a similar vein, the new TMNT is also quite watchable and if you enjoy Prime it might be up your alley.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

It's my understanding that Prime's upgrade and the inclusion of the Dragons/Beast Hunters whatever was mandated by higher ups, in a bid to sell more/new toys. The story goes they had to do it or there would be no season 3.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Selling new Optimus Toys or not, I think he looks massively cool, especially the new militarized alt-form. As for fighting Megs, I think they're looking more at Prime v PrediKing. (HUB is already spoiling that reveal in their commercials, dammit)

Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

I'm not such a fan of the look. Reminds me too much of the Prime/Jetfire combo (something these guys also wrote). It's a personal thing but flight should be a rare thing among Autobots, as should integrated weaponry. But I still really enjoy the show- these are really trivial bugs.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

I'm watching the first season on Netflix streaming and I have to ask, when does it get really good? I mean, the first episodes are okay but I'm not being really wowed by it. Does it just start out slow and get better?
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

Dominus Atheos wrote:I'm watching the first season on Netflix streaming and I have to ask, when does it get really good? I mean, the first episodes are okay but I'm not being really wowed by it. Does it just start out slow and get better?
About mid-way into the first season, when we start coming back to having more than a comatose Megatron. The Season's storyline starts picking up from there.

Season 2 has some good moments, though the end starts dragging a bit as it becomes a "gotta get them all" feel with the Iacon Artifacts - though we do get some very interesting moments out of it. And Dreadwing. We get Dreadwing - which is all right by me.

Season Three is getting warmed up - tonight's Episode "Project Predacon" promises to have some....rather interesting developments.
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Professor Dire
Redshirt

Post by Professor Dire »

I have enjoyed this series quite a bit. It is a shame it will be closing shop soon. While the writing has been a bit of a roller coaster regarding quality. I really have enjoyed the Prime's characters and the voice acting has been excellent.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

You have to give Starscream points for scheming. Sometimes it even works. :angelic:

Professor Dire
Redshirt

Post by Professor Dire »

Soundwave is both a boss, and a 'bawse'.
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

Finale was the best Transformers material I've seen in a long time.

Especially with...
Spoiler
Best Death Scene Ever!! RIP Megatron
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

Starscream's apparent loyalty at the end was a tad odd, considering his entire past behaviour.
Bumblebee's role in that battle made sense and was entirely fitting.

It does make you wonder just how abandoned Cybertron is. Is the entire planet now populated by half a dozen Autobots (and whoever decides to call back)? How do you go about recalling any surviving Autobots? How many are left? The show kind of implies not many, with appearances from Wheeljack and Ultra Magnus being treated as "OMG!" moments.

As for best Transformers material, you can't go past the titles from IDW at the moment. Both Robots In Disguise and More Than Meets The Eye are top tier stuff.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Apparently there will be another cartoon series but it's scheduled for after Michael Bay's next TF film, and will be based on that. There is a theory that Prime was cancelled because of the film but I've not seen anything to substantiate that beyond timing.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I remember catching a few episodes of this a couple years back. Overall I found it a highly enjoyable show, and considering I've never been a big fan of the Transformers franchise in general that's saying something.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Kojiro wrote:Apparently there will be another cartoon series but it's scheduled for after Michael Bay's next TF film, and will be based on that. There is a theory that Prime was cancelled because of the film but I've not seen anything to substantiate that beyond timing.
Doesn't the next Bay film come out next year? How would one more season of Prime have interfered with that?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I don't know how another season of Prime would have clashed with the Bayverse movies. Personally, Prime Superior, Bayverse Inferior, even if the designs were based on Bayverse. The cartoon excelled where the movies failed.

Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

It's not like production companies need more than a bit of minor discomfort to cancel animated series when movies are coming out. See TCW.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

The series is already clearly a different incarnation to the Bayverse so I'm not sure there's any reason to cancel it due to a clash. I doubt the kids watching care, I'm pretty sure most of the adults that see the movie won't know of the cartoon and I'm certain Bay isn't concerned about conflicting canon.

On that note:
This comes from the IMDB film for the next movie. The first that comes to mind is Nemesis Prime, but the blue lighting is all wrong. And is it me or does the photo look de-colourized except for the lights?

Regardless, TFP was excellent, won a few decent awards and had an excellent toy line up. I really don't know why it was cancelled.

Edit:
Found this also on the IMDB page:
A bonus featurette on the Transformers: Prime Season 1 Blu-Ray set, however, revealed that the above described rumor is just that: a rumor, meant to act as a cover-up for the real reason as to why Ironhide was replaced. The character of Ironhide namely appears, and is killed, in the the movie Transformers: Dark of the Moon, and, even though the movie and the cartoon series take place in unconnected universes, the producers of this show didn't want to confuse children by having him suddenly reappear alive.

So there is clearly some concern for keeping things distinct. That said I'm sure another season could have been squeezed in, or at least this one given a full run.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I think the main reason it's gone is that the HUB is a ratings wasteland and they figure that rolling the dice on something new might gain them more fans.
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

Just FYI.....

The Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Finale/Movie (Predacons Rising) has been leaked to the internets.

You can find it if you look semi-hard.

Interesting ending, no spoiling though.
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.