TiMER, would you get one?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

TiMER, would you get one?

Post by FaxModem1 »

http://www.timerthemovie.com/
[youtube] http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri= ... WtOjWH84ok [/youtube]

So, if there was a company selling timers, which would, with a proven 100 % success rate, make people find their one true loves, would you do it?

There is the caveat though, that you could get a blank timer if your one hasn't joined up yet, and you could get a timer that doesn't count down until another 20 years from now.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: TiMER, would you get one?

Post by Simon_Jester »

What's deeply problematic about this one is free will. Also, the definition of "true love-" is it something you find, or something you make?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Buy one unprogrammed and mail it to my GF with a handwitten note saying the device immediately began displaying the date 08/15/10 and is assumed to be defective.

Because I don't believe love is something that just happens, and if I'm wrong, if there -is- some invisble cosmic hand out there pulling strings to guide the puppets along to their nice little destinies, I don't want to know about it.
JADAFETWA
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Kuja wrote:Buy one unprogrammed and mail it to my GF with a handwitten note saying the device immediately began displaying the date 08/15/10 and is assumed to be defective.

Because I don't believe love is something that just happens, and if I'm wrong, if there -is- some invisble cosmic hand out there pulling strings to guide the puppets along to their nice little destinies, I don't want to know about it.
Unless your girlfriend is willing to bolt the thing into her arm personally, you might have a problem with that. The timers in the movie are installed by someone who works at the timer store, and is described like having your ears pierced, it hurts at first, but after that, you get use to having it in your wrist.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

FaxModem1 wrote:Unless your girlfriend is willing to bolt the thing into her arm personally, you might have a problem with that.
...It's a romantic gesture, a kind of flattering, friendly joke, you hopeless hyper-literalist you.
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

If it was actually 100% guaranteed effective?
Sure. Why not?
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

This reminds me of a dream I had. I could see the life remaining on people as glowing numbers floating above their heads, kind of like the countdown timer on Lemmings when you decide to blow them all up. Some people have decades, some people have years, some have days. I can never see numbers above my own head.

I'm at the airport and notice a few people with numbers that are just hours away. I can't say anything to them, of course. And then I get to my gate and realize everyone's numbers are the same, less than an hour to go.

I decide to take the train.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

How high is the price?

Because if it is reasonable, I would figure it would be less humiliating and troublesome than online dating.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

If I remember right, 80 bucks for installation, with 2 bucks a month afterwords.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Not to sound overly smug, but even if this did work 100%, I wouldn't need one.

However, the implications are disturbing, as Kuja said. It means that there is indeed some freaky force at work in the Universe. Maybe I could quantify it and get a Nobel prize out of it; "The Universal Love Field." Wait, thats sounds too hippie...
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

jollyreaper wrote:This reminds me of a dream I had. I could see the life remaining on people as glowing numbers floating above their heads, kind of like the countdown timer on Lemmings when you decide to blow them all up. Some people have decades, some people have years, some have days. I can never see numbers above my own head.

I'm at the airport and notice a few people with numbers that are just hours away. I can't say anything to them, of course. And then I get to my gate and realize everyone's numbers are the same, less than an hour to go.

There's a Nickleback *shudder* video with the same idea.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

AMT wrote:If it was actually 100% guaranteed effective?
Sure. Why not?
I can think of a reason why not.

What would it do to your sex and dating life if you got one, and it read "thirty years from now?" It's not like you can't meet your 'true soulmate' or whatever at sixty, but you'd be an idiot to spend your entire adult life waiting to meet them.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

And in that situation, does the timer show long long until you meet them and fall in love, or can there be random chance meetings earlier that knock years off?

I mean, suppose you saw your timer and it said "25 years." You decide to say sod it, I'm goign out dating anyway. You go to a bar and happen to bump into a girl whose pretty etc and you get talking. Turns out her timer reads the exact same as yours in terms of when it will happen and she is in fact your solumate. What happens then?

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:And in that situation, does the timer show long long until you meet them and fall in love, or can there be random chance meetings earlier that knock years off?

I mean, suppose you saw your timer and it said "25 years." You decide to say sod it, I'm goign out dating anyway. You go to a bar and happen to bump into a girl whose pretty etc and you get talking. Turns out her timer reads the exact same as yours in terms of when it will happen and she is in fact your solumate. What happens then?
The movie operates under the premise that everyone has exactly one soulmate.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yes- but might you meet her early? How strong is predestination in this premise?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

That was the question. Exactly one soulmate is fine, but what effect woudl a chance meeting ten years early have on things?

jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

hongi wrote:
jollyreaper wrote:This reminds me of a dream I had. I could see the life remaining on people as glowing numbers floating above their heads, kind of like the countdown timer on Lemmings when you decide to blow them all up. Some people have decades, some people have years, some have days. I can never see numbers above my own head.

There's a Nickleback *shudder* video with the same idea.
Oh my god. You just ruined my life. I'm used to finding out that ideas I've had have been done before. It doesn't feel so bad to get scooped by good, talented people. But to be scooped by Nickleback? I'm afraid if I try to describe how I feel you'll tell me they've already been used as lyrics by an emo band.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:However, the implications are disturbing, as Kuja said. It means that there is indeed some freaky force at work in the Universe. Maybe I could quantify it and get a Nobel prize out of it; "The Universal Love Field." Wait, thats sounds too hippie...
If it exists everywhere, we can possibly draw power from it. Our war machines shall run on the power of love!