Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Battles (Spoilers)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Who has the cooler ships?

The Empire
68%
The Alliance
32%

Total votes: 69

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Battles (Spoilers)

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Perhaps I phrased it wrong, but why couldn't Imperial Phezzan just have its own fleet or two then?
Spoiler
Like I said, the fleets on Phezzan could take care of the corridor and be stationed there. If the idea is to protect Phezzan then it's not like there need to be fleets at the end of each corridor, and even if it was still a good idea to spend the time and money to put in fortresses, they don't need to be Iserlohn sized when supposedly smaller ones exist.
The twin fortresses though could eventually become a liability if not properly controlled.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

so I was watching one of the later episodes where Mittemier and Reuntel (sp?) are talking about the top admirals and state that the top five admirals in the series to be themselves, Reinhard, Merkatz and Yang Wenli (I'm assuming had Kirchies not died he would have been included in this group) and I started to wonder, was there any sort of approximate ranking of admirals throughout the series?

Obviously it may shift around seeing as the show likes to stress that anything can happen in a battle but I put a small list of the major admirals together (also I apologize for my atrocious spelling of their names)

-Yang Wenli
-Reinhard
-Kirchies - Considered second only to Reinhard in the Imperial camp while alive, possibly even better seeing as even Yang could do nothing against him in their brief encounter and Reinhard was more than willing to defer all military power to him.
-Mittemier & Reuntel - While better than the rest, the only times they ever get into any trouble are in battles against Yang Wenli, can't really say who's better than who though (although the Gale Wolf is more of a likable character for me)
-Merkatz - There's a reason Yang keeps the old guy around.
-Bucock - The only other admiral in the Alliance other than Yang who seems to fair well against the top imperial forces, unfortunately every battle we see him in he's facing overwhelming odds but always manages to pull out a few tricks.

after this things start to blur where you see the admirals who's only appearances have been to make Yang look good like Mueller and Lutz. Then of course there are the terrible admirals like most of the Alliance admiralty, but thats just as jumbled of a list as far as I can tell. But any who, thoughts?
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Imperial Civil War Part 1 amendments:

* Fixed Reuenthal's spelling
* Fixed Geiersberg's spelling
* Named Staaden's flagship as the Augsburg
* Named Fleet Admiral Steinhof
* Several minor spelling/ grammar amendments.

Part 2

*Fixed more of the above spelling errors
*Identified Baron Flegel's flagship as the Wilhelmina, Fleet Admiral Muckenburger's ship before his retirement

Part 3

* More of the above corrections
* Amended the name of Steinmetz' flagship from Vonkel to the correct Forkel.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Koolaidkirby wrote:so I was watching one of the later episodes where Mittemier and Reuntel (sp?) are talking about the top admirals and state that the top five admirals in the series to be themselves, Reinhard, Merkatz and Yang Wenli (I'm assuming had Kirchies not died he would have been included in this group) and I started to wonder, was there any sort of approximate ranking of admirals throughout the series?

Obviously it may shift around seeing as the show likes to stress that anything can happen in a battle but I put a small list of the major admirals together (also I apologize for my atrocious spelling of their names)

-Yang Wenli
-Reinhard
-Kirchies - Considered second only to Reinhard in the Imperial camp while alive, possibly even better seeing as even Yang could do nothing against him in their brief encounter and Reinhard was more than willing to defer all military power to him.
-Mittemier & Reuntel - While better than the rest, the only times they ever get into any trouble are in battles against Yang Wenli, can't really say who's better than who though (although the Gale Wolf is more of a likable character for me)
-Merkatz - There's a reason Yang keeps the old guy around.
-Bucock - The only other admiral in the Alliance other than Yang who seems to fair well against the top imperial forces, unfortunately every battle we see him in he's facing overwhelming odds but always manages to pull out a few tricks.

after this things start to blur where you see the admirals who's only appearances have been to make Yang look good like Mueller and Lutz. Then of course there are the terrible admirals like most of the Alliance admiralty, but thats just as jumbled of a list as far as I can tell. But any who, thoughts?
If I had to rank them, it would be:-

* Yang Wenli
* Reinhard
* Kircheis
* Reuenthal / Mittermeyer
* Merkatz
* Muller (Yang is effusive in his praise for Muller throughout the series, and there's good reason for that)
* Bittenfeld (his combat power, battlefield presence and sheer force of will is undeniable, even if he is prone to rash errors)
* Bucock (very good on the defensive)

After that, the remaining Imperial Admirals are about equal - almost all top-rate officers, but they don't stand out like the above. Yang's subordinates - specifically Fischer and Attenborough, are in the same category, I feel.

And I edited your post. Spoiler policy- do not refer to events that happen after where the thread is at.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

What did Kircheis even do though to deserve being praised so much? Particularly when it seems that Mittermeyer and Reuenthal have much more experience than him, since he was merely what, a Commander until Reinhard got promoted sky-high? IIRC, all he did was smash the static defenses of that decadent noble's planet, and fight a campaign during the civil war that was favorable admittedly, but not necessarily genius.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Nephtys wrote:What did Kircheis even do though to deserve being praised so much? Particularly when it seems that Mittermeyer and Reuenthal have much more experience than him, since he was merely what, a Commander until Reinhard got promoted sky-high? IIRC, all he did was smash the static defenses of that decadent noble's planet, and fight a campaign during the civil war that was favorable admittedly, but not necessarily genius.
He fought at Amlitzer, forcing the surrender of the 7th Fleet, and then fought Yang in the same place - Yang noted he was a splendid commander, and gave him no opportunity to take advantage. Yang did try and use a tactic on him, but the outcome of that tactic was never decided. Basically, Kircheis was the only commander Yang fought and never successfully tricked.

Remember also that his campaign in the civil war was one of continuous victory, punctuated by his battle against Littenheim, where he found and exploited the flaws in the enemy's shoddy formation with only 800 ships at his back. All indications from the show were that he was an awesome tactical commander, which is one of the reasons why his loss was so keenly felt.
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

Nephtys wrote:What did Kircheis even do though to deserve being praised so much? Particularly when it seems that Mittermeyer and Reuenthal have much more experience than him, since he was merely what, a Commander until Reinhard got promoted sky-high? IIRC, all he did was smash the static defenses of that decadent noble's planet, and fight a campaign during the civil war that was favorable admittedly, but not necessarily genius.
Two additional battles of note, he completely surrounded and forced an enemy fleet to surrender during the Alliance invasion of the empire, and engaged Yang Wenli's fleet shortly after, forcing Yang to consider surrender as he had little hope of winning against him, and eventually forcing him to retreat. And seeing as Reinhard had absolutely no reservations with putting him in charge of the military (with him taking charge of domestic matters, which IIRC was his plan) has something to say about his abilities.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Its probably worth pointing out that Kircheis is pretty much the "golden haired boy" of the series more than Reinhard is. He's pretty much a flawless character with nothing but good qualities, which is why killing him was I suppose such a necessity.

For an idea of how good, in the Gaiden Spoiler
He fights Schenkopp (both in their armored suits, with battleaxes) to a draw.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I saw that on youtube and enjoyed it, is that the same series where there he has the Spoiler
one on four fight in low/zero gravity where he kicks the shit out of all four assailants?
As far as flaws go, he did have one. HE was a little naive about Reinhard's ambition and how far he would go to acheive them, but with characters like Kircheis fans will easily forgive him for stuff like that because, as you iterated, he was TOO GOOD. Might have ended up being my favorite had he lived longer.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Darth Fanboy wrote:I saw that on youtube and enjoyed it, is that the same series where there he has the
No, its the main part of Series 1 of the Gaiden - you're referring to 'Dishonor', one of the 4-episode mini-arcs. But that was pretty cool too.
As far as flaws go, he did have one. HE was a little naive about Reinhard's ambition and how far he would go to acheive them, but with characters like Kircheis fans will easily forgive him for stuff like that because, as you iterated, he was TOO GOOD. Might have ended up being my favorite had he lived longer.
The Barbarossa alone was enough to make him one of my favorites. That ship is badass.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I thought it was cool how it was to be permanently docked but I did miss seeing it the rest of the series.

Was it destroyed when Geiersberg was destroyed or was it docked elsewhere?

Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Darth Fanboy wrote:I thought it was cool how it was to be permanently docked but I did miss seeing it the rest of the series.

Was it destroyed when Geiersberg was destroyed or was it docked elsewhere?
IIRC it was mentioned that it was docked at it's old berth alongside Brunhild's, on Odin, and never moved since.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

You actually see her later once or twice when Reinhard is about to leave Odin for this or that reason, sitting in the dock next to Brunhild.

Honestly, I couldn't really bring myself to feel much for Kircheis mostly because he was SO perfect. He never lost a battle that we saw, even against the best of the best like Yang. He was always perfectly loyal to Reinhard except at the VERY end, at which point he is instantly killed off before you can explore a breach between the two of them over some time.

Of course, I was also hoping when he died and walked into the afterlife, we'd see Kircheis walk up, salute, and ask him what they are going to do now?

"Same thing we try to do every night Kircheis; try to take over Valhalla!"
"It's Reinhard, Reinhard and Kircheis - is - is -is -is!"
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

I actually did like the fact that he died, in it's contribution to really changing the story. I was watching the rift form between him and Reinhard, and went 'ahkay, I get it. He's going to eventually have to fight Reinhard because of their slowly growing differences, yadda-yadd---- wait. Did he just get hit by a rocket launcher?'
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

You actually see her later once or twice when Reinhard is about to leave Odin for this or that reason, sitting in the dock next to Brunhild.
Yes.

I took this screencap for Battle of the Fortresses (its from the bit where Reinhard visits Geiersberg, ostensibly to see off Kempf and Muller, but really to just brood in the throne room, where Kircheis' blood stain was still there!) but couldn't find a way to work it in.
I actually did like the fact that he died, in it's contribution to really changing the story. I was watching the rift form between him and Reinhard, and went 'ahkay, I get it. He's going to eventually have to fight Reinhard because of their slowly growing differences, yadda-yadd---- wait. Did he just get hit by a rocket launcher?'
I thought it would go that way too, but with Kircheis' final thoughts before the assassination attempt, I think it was the show telling us that if Kircheis hadn't died, things would've been alright between him and Reinhard. Their friendship was too strong for them to ever come to blows, and Westerland served as an object lesson to Reinhard - he never did something that odious again, and every good thing he did following that, he did it in Kircheis' name.
takemeout_totheblack
Padawan Learner
Location: Knowing where you are is no fun! Back to adventure!

Post by takemeout_totheblack »

Actually I never got the impression that he would have to fight Reinhard. If you watch the series closely you can really see a 'What Would Kirchies Do?' vibe from Reinhard whenever tricky moral/nobility dilemmas reared their heads. Kirchies always knew Reinhard was an ambitious man and he knew that's why Annerrose told him to protect him, not only from the people who would try and stop him but from what his ambition would drive him to do to fulfill his goals. In this respect I could never see Kirchies turning on Reinhard because if Kirchies had lived there would have been no need to.
There should be an official metric in regard to stupidity, so we can insult the imbeciles, morons, and RSAs out there the civilized way.
Any ideas for units of measure?

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali fought a 80-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire earth was destroyed.
~George Foreman, February 27th 3000 C.E.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Ninja'd my edit :)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Speaking for myself I've only seen a small fraction of the series, mostly just the gaidens (never mind spoilers, a good series can't be spoiled in any meaningful sense for me)...

And I can't see it either. There's just too much personal loyalty there, and in both directions- Reinhard would think very, very hard about doing anything that would require him to cross swords with Kircheis. Unless, maybe even if it was that or die, he wouldn't do it.

That goes doubly for Kircheis thinking about Reinhard, which is one of the main reasons Reinhard trusts him so much much in the first place.

On top of that, Kircheis isn't really proactive, not really the one who sets events into motion. There's an activity/passivity dynamic between Reinhard and Kircheis, on top of everything else, and Kircheis is the passive one. That doesn't mean he's not capable of action, but for choice he usually doesn't seize the initiative: either he waits for someone to tell him what to do, or he waits until circumstances have dictated what he's going to do for him.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Amended the Alliance Civil War entry:

*Changed Fischer's flagship from Agateram to the correct Airged Lamh
*Corrected spelling of Mauria to Maurya again
*Named the 11th Fleet flagship - the Abai Geser (thank you, Wright Staff Fleet Files!)
*Minor edits and fixed typos.
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

Oh god, I just hit episode 89 where Spoiler
when Reinhard shows up after spending the night with the Hilda... oh my god I could not stop laughing I had to pause it and get up and walk away from my computer for a while :lol: its like I had completely forgotten he was a 24 year old virgin.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

A much needed moment of levity after too many heavy events, indeed :)
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

What, no praise for Admiral Paeta? :P
Vympel wrote:
He fought at Amlitzer, forcing the surrender of the 7th Fleet, and then fought Yang in the same place - Yang noted he was a splendid commander, and gave him no opportunity to take advantage. Yang did try and use a tactic on him, but the outcome of that tactic was never decided. Basically, Kircheis was the only commander Yang fought and never successfully tricked.

Remember also that his campaign in the civil war was one of continuous victory, punctuated by his battle against Littenheim, where he found and exploited the flaws in the enemy's shoddy formation with only 800 ships at his back. All indications from the show were that he was an awesome tactical commander, which is one of the reasons why his loss was so keenly felt.

I can get Kircheis, but what about Reuenthal / Mittermeyer? Mind you, I'm only at around episode 75isch and my memory is a bit rusty since I took a break watching it, but while they both have a strong reputation of competent commanders, I don't recall them having that much action on screen.
Reuenthal seems to have a very strong strategic mind though, as he seems to read Yang Wenli's plans like a book.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

They're the Twin Stars of the Empire, of course they'll be ranked highly. I can't give anything away, but you have yet to see their most important battles.

To mention stuff not including what I'm referring to above (i.e. stuff you've already seen)
Spoiler
There's a reason Reinhard made them Fleet Admirals, and Reuenthal did display his abilities during the diversionary attack on Iserlohn during Operation Ragnarok. Mittermeyer is acknowledged to be his equal, and you'll see why they're both amazingly good in about ~20 episodes or so, but more battles are coming before then.

Mittemeyer's seen a shitload of action, btw. Apart from 4th Tiamat where he divined the enemy diversion just as Reinhard and Kircheis did, and had already sent forces to deal with it before Reinhard asked, he fought at Amlitzer, he took out Admiral Staaden in the civil war, he lead the charge against Geiersberg, drawing the nobles out and then landing the first bitchslapping on them, etc. Mittermeyer's at the spearhead of pretty much every single engagement. He's the chief commander of the Imperial Fleet, after all.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Just say eps 82 and holy shit, didn't saw that one coming :shock:
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Operation Ragnarok - Ninth Battle of Iserlohn

Operation Ragnarok was the ultimate Imperial campaign to conquer the Free Planets Alliance by force, commencing in late Space Year 798 (Imperial Year 489).

Background

The plan to facilitate the elimination of Iserlohn Fortress was not the only scheme created by Fezzan to ensure the destruction of the Free Planets Alliance.

In plotting for Yang to be placed before the extra-judicial enquiry that pulled him away from Iserlohn, Rubinsky assumed that Yang would be forced to choose between being either purged, or seizing power for himself. Assuming he would choose the latter, the possibility of an accommodation being reached between the autocracy of the new Empire and the military dictatorship of the Alliance had to be avoided.

To that end, Adrian Rubinsky plotted to ensure that the Empire and the Alliance would remain mortal enemies. A more concrete justification for war was required.

He dispatched Kesserling to speak to Count Jochen von Remscheid, a former High Commissioner to Fezzan and Goldenbaum loyalist, proposing a plan to kidnap the young Kaiser Erwin Josef II. Whilst the appeal of such a plan was obvious to a Goldenbaum loyalist, Remscheid did not see what Fezzan had to gain out of it.

Kesserling claimed that Fezzan thought Duke Lohengramm’s reformations were proceeding too quickly, and that Fezzan’s Imperial interests were being disregarded. And Fezzan would accept suitable payment if the plan succeeded.

Count Remscheid was therefore recruited as the ringleader of the plan, but someone would be required to carry it out. Kesserling chose Leopold Schumacher - former Captain, and staff officer of the late Baron Flegel – who had fled to Fezzan after the final battle of the Imperial Civil War, together with some fellow crew of the Wilhelmina. Starting a new life in the Assiniboia ravine, he intended to live out the rest of his life as a farmer with his former subordinates.

Kesserling meets Schumacher

Schumacher was initially unreceptive to Kesserling's proposal, but with some implied threats about the commercial viability of his farm, he was pressed into service.

The next person who joined the plot was Count Alfred von Landsberg, a young writer and another Goldenbaum loyalist.

A suitable PR campaign was also taking place in the Free Planets Alliance at the time as well. For example, TV dramas sponsored by Fezzani corporations:-

The heroic rightful heir to the throne, defeated and urged to take flight and fight another day

And the evil Minister!

Schumacher and Landsberg set off from Fezzan soon after the destruction of Geiersberg Fortress.

The conspirators arrive on Odin

It was not long after conspirators had arrived on Odin that Admiral Kesler brought news of their infiltration to Duke Lohengramm – courtesy of an anonymous informant, who also provided all their identities.

Kesler suspected Fezzani involvement from the start – they had arrived on Odin with false identity papers, but they were not forgeries – they were legitimate papers produced by the Fezzani government. The Duke ordered that they merely be kept under surveillance.

Consulting with Hildegard von Mariendorf, it did not take long for them to reason, by process of elimination, that the loyalists had returned to abduct Kaiser Erwin Josef II. In the conspirator’s eyes, this would be the rescue of their helpless infant master from the hands of their enemy.

Duke Lohengramm had enough of Adrian Rubinsky’s machinations – so he called the High Commissioner of Fezzan on Odin, Nicholas Boltik, for a talk - and asked him straight out what Fezzan stood to gain from kidnapping the Kaiser.

So confronted – Boltik was frank – Fezzan wished to assist the Duke in the Empire gaining control of all of space. With the young Kaiser kidnapped, he would be taken to the Free Planets Alliance, and a government-in-exile would be established, which Reinhard could not tolerate. Fezzan would ensure that the Alliance would give the conspirators asylum. He would then have a concrete rationale for the complete subjugation of the Alliance, which was especially necessary given the public mood – people were content to deal with the internal reformation of Imperial society, and the destruction of Geiersberg Fortress could also have had an effect on the fighting spirit of the populace. This way, it would be a war not only against the Alliance, but also against the remnants of the high nobles. As further enticement, Boltik noted that accepting an Imperial government-in-exile would also split Alliance public opinion, which could only work to Reinhard’s advantage.

Reinhard was not satisfied. He wanted Boltik to state plainly what Fezzan wanted out of all this. So Boltik was even more frank – Duke Reinhard should take all military and political power, whilst Fezzan wished to monopolize the financial system of all of space, especially all interstellar communications and transport, whilst retaining its existing political status.

Reinhard agreed to collude with Fezzan, on one condition – free navigation rights through the Fezzan Corridor into Alliance space – the only other point of entry apart from the Iserlohn Corridor. Boltik was shocked by the request.

Reinhard even threatened to instead unite with the Alliance and subjugate Fezzan militarily. The threat was very real – with the Alliance heavily in debt to Fezzan, simply eliminating Fezzan, along with all of its loans, was an easy way out.

Boltik left without giving an answer.

The kidnapping

New Sanssouci was the Palace of the Kaisers of the Goldenbaum Dynasty. 66 square kilometers in area, it had 400km of corridors, and in the time of the high nobles, it was a hub of all sorts of activity – governmental functions, audiences, and meetings were held in the East Garden. The Imperial family lived in the South Garden. The West Garden was the home of many beautiful court ladies, whilst the North Garden was stocked with animal life, for hunting.

Palace grounds

Under Reinhard however, the West and North Gardens were sealed, to cut unnecessary expenses, whilst half the buildings in the East and South Gardens were closed. With the exception of a handful of formal ceremonies, all governmental duties were now handled from the Premier’s building. With the defeat of the high nobles, parties had also been drastically reduced.

With the palace now a lonely, semi-deserted place, the kidnappers' job was much easier than it would have been during the time of the former Kaiser. Security was lax.

Count Landsberg, who had been a regular fixture of court life, would act as Schumacher’s guide inside the palace, and he had knowledge of the palace’s many secret rooms and passages, to aid in infiltration. In particular, his family, under orders from a previous Kaiser, had built a passage from below the Imperial Natural History Research Society (outside the palace proper), which came out in the South Garden.

Landsberg and Schumacher therefore planned to infiltrate the Natural History Research Society, whilst Fezzani agents created a diversion.

On 6 July 798, Admiral Kesler’s military police discovered an arms factory of radical republicans (in reality, a Fezzani fabrication) in a southern district of the capital. With MPs swarming the factory, Landsberg and Schumacher made their way to the Kaiser’s quarters in the South Garden via the secret passage.

The 7-year old Kaiser Erwin Josef II

”What a farce” – Leopold Schumacher thought to himself

Making off with the Kaiser, they left the palace grounds via the secret passages. They were picked up by Fezzani agents and secreted away at the Fezzani High Commission, and were then smuggled off world by the Fezzani merchant ship Rocinante. The ship went to Fezzan, where it picked up Count Remscheid, and headed for Heinessen.

Of course, the Duke had allowed it to happen, in accordance with his discussions with Boltik. Though he had fortified security at his sister’s residence (in case she was the target of the abduction), he had left the security at the palace lax. Unfortunately, the life of Vice Admiral Molt, the head of palace security, was forfeit – Oberstein concluded that, as an old-fashioned officer, he would commit suicide for his failure, even given Reinhard’s intention to pardon him. It was deemed a necessary sacrifice. Admiral Kesler, who was similarly ignorant of the scheme, was reprimanded and lost some of his pay, but was otherwise unpunished – he was too valuable to Reinhard. Vice Admiral Molt committed suicide in the early hours of 7 July.

Also on 7 July, Reinhard summoned all Admirals and High Admirals to a meeting where he laid out the situation (without disclosing his plans or Fezzan’s role), and ordered that they prepare their fleets for launch at any time, in case of a future emergency.

The conspirators arrive on Heinessen

On 20 August, Chairman Trunicht on Heinessen made a proclamation that was broadcast throughout Alliance space:-

”To all citizens of the Free Planets Alliance, I, Supreme Council Chairman Job Trunicht, am pleased to announce that a huge reversal has been visited upon the history of all humanity. I am deeply joyful and proud to be in the position to make this announcement.

The other day, a defector seeking personal safety became a guest of our free nation. Many people have come here seeking freedom, fleeing from the cruel hand of despotism.

Notwithstanding that, this name has a special ring. Namely, Erwin Josef von Goldenbaum!

In the Galactic Empire, Reinhard von Lohengramm, after purging his opposition by military force, is now abusing his authority as dictator. Treating the Kaiser cruelly, even though he is only seven years old, changing laws according to his own whims, appointing his subordinates to important posts, treating the nation as his private possession.

And now, his evil ambition is turning towards out nation! He’s trying to rule all of space despotically, and extinguish the light of freedom and democracy, which humanity has continued to protect! Its impossible to coexist with a person like him!

We must join forces with the unlucky people chased out by Lohengramm! We must protect ourselves from the huge threat he poses toward all of humanity! By averting this threat, the human race can make a new, eternal peace a reality!”

Yang reacts

Trunicht then introduced Count Remscheid, the ‘Premier of the Legitimate Imperial Galactic Government’. High Admiral Merkatz, watching the proclamation from Iserlohn Fortress, was surprised to learn that he had been appointed Secretary of the Military.

On the same day, Duke Lohengramm made a broadcast to both the Empire and the Alliance:-

”I formally acknowledge that terrorists have abducted His Majesty the Kaiser Erwin Josef. The whereabouts of His Majesty, as well as the lawless criminals who abducted His Majesty, have both become clear.

This band of criminals are former high nobles led by a former Imperial High Commissioner to Fezzan, Jochen von Remscheid, a Count under the old system. The villains, hiding among the rebels who call themselves the Free Planets Alliance, have illegally announced the establishment of an exile government.

I hereby declare: Having abducted the Kaiser by illegal, as well as cowardly means, the remnants of the high nobility who plan to try to reverse the flow of history and steal by force the rights that the people have established, will receive suitable repayment for this atrocity.

The ambitious men of the Free Planets Alliance who had illicit dealings with them, and who also plot a rebellious war against the peace and harmony of space, will not avoid the same fate.

This mistaken choice must be rectified by appropriate punishment. What criminals need is neither diplomacy nor persuasion. They have neither the ability nor the intention to understand those. Only force will enlighten their foolishness. Hereafter, no matter how great the volume of blood that comes to be shed, bear in mind that these foolish criminals and conspirators are responsible.”

The broadcast was universally understood as a declaration of full-scale war.

On Iserlohn, Yang couldn’t help but come to the conclusion that Duke Lohengramm had the most to gain from the whole affair, and was certain of Fezzani involvement to that end. The prospect of the Empire invading via the Fezzan Corridor, with no fortress there to defend it, entered his mind, but he didn’t say it out loud.

Chairman Trunicht dismisses press concerns of a large Imperial attack with talk of Iserlohn Fortress and Yang, its undefeated commander

Chairman Trunicht took the opportunity to fortify the organizations of each department in accordance with his wishes, in preparation for the Empire’s offensive. Meddling in military affairs once more, Trunicht moved for Admiral Kubersly, the HQ Chief, to retire (citing illness as the official reason), with Admiral Dawson replacing him – though he was little use in a crisis, it was seen as a reward for his loyalty to the Chairman. Admiral Bucock would be left in charge of actual fighting forces.

There were personnel changes on Iserlohn as well:- not only did Admiral Merkatz and Schneider depart for Heinessen, but Ensign Julian Mintz was dispatched to Fezzan as resident military attaché, at Trunicht’s personal instigation – a means to weaken Yang’s command authority. The recall of High Admiral Merkatz to Heinessen was also seen in this light.

Yang was initially displeased, but was glad to have a reliable person see the internal situation on Fezzan. Yang confided in Mintz his concerns that Duke Lohengramm would invade via Fezzan – there were no rules or laws requiring him to attack Iserlohn.

Julian departed Iserlohn Fortress on the cruiser Thanatos III. His first stop was Heinessen, to accept the appointment, where he delivered a letter from Yang to Admiral Bucock personally – warning that the Imperial Fleet would seek to invade via Fezzan.

Bucock told Mintz that such a possibility had been planned for in the past – but that had been before the Amritsar disaster. There was no comparison between Alliance military strength then and now, and so the plan would be impossible to carry out. Yang’s letter advised that they would have to rely on the Fezzani populace’s spirit of independence. The Fezzani would have to resist the Imperial invasion at a grass roots level – preventing Fezzan from being used as a supply base through strikes and sabotage, and sealing the Corridor with civilian ships. But Yang placed no great confidence in this. The greatest hope lay in rousing Fezzani popular sentiment before the invasion took place, but they had no power to do such a thing.

Julian Mintz departed Heinessen for Fezzan on 19 September 798.

Imperial Operational Planning

The Imperial populace was incensed at the Free Planets Alliance’s actions, as expected. The words being whispered at Imperial Fleet Headquarters were “an operation of a hundred million people and a million ships.”

Young commoners who weren’t in the military flocked to fleet recruitment offices. Mass popular rallies were held outside of Fleet HQ, urging the fall of the government-in-exile and the Free Planets Alliance.

At a meeting with his admirals, Duke Lohengramm laid out his intentions to invade through the Fezzan Corridor. Reinhard introduced Nicholas Boltik – unknown to Rubinsky, Boltik had cut a side deal with Reinhard, selling not only Fezzan’s political and military neutrality, but also its independence. In exchange, he would be paid handsomely, and would assume authority over Fezzan in Rubinsky’s place, tasked with suppressing any dissent.

Reinhard then laid out his plan – fleets would advance to the Iserlohn Corridor with many more ships than were moved under Kempf and Müller earlier in the year. But this would be a diversion.

With the Alliance’s attention concentrated at Iserlohn, the main fleet would pass through the Fezzan Corridor in one swift movement, and invade Alliance territory. With Yang Wen-li at Iserlohn, the other Alliance commanders weren’t worth comment.

Image Image

High Admiral Mittermeyer noted that Yang would still be in play, and could leave Iserlohn to respond to the Imperial Fleet. In that case, Reinhard responded that all they needed to do is break through Iserlohn Fortress in his absence, and attack the Yang Fleet from his front and rear, destroying him.

The name of the operation was Ragnarok – the last battle of the gods. In unison, the gathered admirals clamored to be at the head of the battle. Coincidentally, the date was 19 September 798.

Bittenfeld’s enthusiasm

The next day, 20 September 798, the abdication of Erwin Josef II was announced at Odin, and the eight-month old Catherine (the grandchild of the third Kaiserin of the previous Kaiser, Ludwig III) succeeded him as Kaiserin. Simultaneously, the Imperial fleet began its invasion preparations, with live fire exercises, and the deliberate leaking of information of the Iserlohn deployment.

High Admiral Reuenthal would command the Iserlohn-bound fleet, with Admirals Lennenkampf and Lutz as his subordinates. The deployments to the Fezzan Corridor will be covered in the following entry.

The operation would begin upon the departure of Reuenthal’s Iserlohn Fleet, which took place on 5 November, 798.

Alliance Planning

In the weeks leading up to the beginning of the Imperial invasion, Bucock made the case for the threat from the Fezzan Corridor to the National Defense Council, but his arguments were dismissed as mere speculation. Defensive efforts focused solely on Iserlohn, and preparations were made to send reinforcements there, if required.

Yang planned to hide a fleet inside the Corridor, before the enemy approach. Attacking the rear of the enemy assaulting the fortress, they would be pushed into range of the Thor Hammer and crushed.

Naturally, the plan depended on being aware of the enemy’s approach beforehand. They needed a larger number of surveillance ships, and their reconnaissance satellites in the Corridor had all been destroyed during Geiersberg’s assault. Unfortunately, the National Defence Council allowed no additions to the budget. They knew Iserlohn’s budget was insufficient, but there was nothing that could be done, so manned ships were used for reconnaissance.

Diversion at Iserlohn

On November 20, the battleship Ulysses was out on patrol. She detected so many ships the number of contacts couldn’t be readily counted. Yang ordered a message sent to Heinessen, with the advice that the attack was just a diversion, and that defences at the Fezzan Corridor should be reinforced.

That day, High Admiral Reuenthal’s fleet, numbering 36,000 ships, opened fire on Iserlohn.

ImageImage

ImageImage
Image Image
Iserlohn’s hydro-metal armor reflects the Reuenthal’s continuous barrage

Yang admired the formation – the azimuth and depth of it was splendid.

Reuenthal dispatched Admiral Lutz to take a half-enveloping formation according to his pre-arranged plan.

The Skirnir, the Lutz Fleet flagship

Rear Admiral Attenborough confirmed the fleet was ready to launch at any time. Yang, from Iserlohn’s command centre, ordered him to wait where he was – he wanted time to observe the enemy.

Lutz deployed at the very edge of the Thor Hammer’s firing range. Rear Admiral Murai noted that if they were allowed to complete the formation, they could stick to the guns’ dead angle from the front.

Yang’s hand was forced, and Rear Admiral Fischer and Attenborough were dispatched to stop the enemy’s movements.

Admiral Fisher’s ship, the Airged Lamh, rises out of Iserlohn

Lutz immediately gave the order to charge.

Image Image
Lutz gets close

Airged Lamh and Skirnir

Lutz’ fleet closed to extreme close range of Attenborough and Fischer’s forces – before they could react, Lutz’ ships were too close for them to safely open fire. The Alliance attack was broken off and fell into disarray as they concentrated on avoiding collision.

The Thor Hammer was nullified – they could not fire without endangering their own ships. Battle was then joined at close quarters.

Image Image
Imperial destroyers destroy the Alliance battleship Oxiana

ImageImage
Another battleship, the Ljubljana, is destroyed

Image Image
An Imperial battleship goes up

Yang was impressed again – the enemy held a clear advantage over him. Mulling over a way to use that advantage to make a crack in the enemy’s attack, Brigadier General Schönkopf presented himself.

Reuenthal recognized Yang’s predicament – with the Thor Hammer useless, Yang would have to send out reinforcements. If he did, Reuenthal would simply send in his, and a battle of attrition would ensue, which could only favor him.

Reinforcements soon came out of the fortress. Just as Reuenthal was ordering Admiral Lennenkampf to attack, the presence of the Hyperion amongst the reinforcements was confirmed. Reuenthal was surprised to see him “acting like a fierce commander at the head of the formation”, and glad. He ordered all ships to charge, with the objective being to destroy the Hyperion.

20 seconds from firing range, the Tristan detected a small target rapidly approaching, from the one o’clock direction. It was an enemy assault ship. Before anyone could react, it had made contact with the ship’s hull.

The Rosen Ritter assault ship grabs the Tristan

The boarding ship cuts into Tristan’s hull

Image Image
The initial response’s weapons fire bounces off Schönkopf's armor

Schönkopf and the Rosen Ritter swarmed onto the Tristan, with the objective of finding the bridge and capturing / killing Admiral Reuenthal himself.

As the intruder alert klaxons sounded, Rear Admiral Bergengrun (formerly of the Kircheis Fleet, now Reuenthal’s Chief of Staff) took command of the counter-attack, and urged Reuenthal to put on his armored suit.

Image Image
The Rosen Ritter take on all comers

With Bergengrun’s plan to attack the intruders from two directions bearing fruit, Schönkopf and two compatriots made a quick detour from a hallway into the next available room – where Admiral Reuenthal was about to put on his armor, tended by two guards.

The guards killed Schenkopp’s men with well aimed neck shots, and were then killed by Schönkopf in turn.

Schönkopf opened the fight by throwing his helmet and then charging at Reuenthal, but missed the mark when Reuenthal, also skilled in hand-to-hand combat, avoided the blow and broke his battle axe with a pistol shot. Reuenthal was then himself disarmed with a well-aimed throw of Schönkopf’s useless axe handle.

Image Image
Schönkopf's axe swing is confounded by Reuenthal’s well timed backflip

They then resorted to knives – Schönkopf could find no break in Reuenthal’s defence.

Image Image

After several seconds of thrust, parry, and counter-thrust, the battle between the Rosen Ritter and Bergengrun’s men spilled into the room. Reuenthal took advantage of the distraction and broke away, just as Bergengrun himself entered.

Seeing he had lost his chance, Schönkopf gave the order to pull out.

Reuenthal was embarrassed, calling the entire affair “a ridiculous farce”. Saying he had gotten too eager for victory and had followed the enemy’s pace (nevermind the error in timing that had allowed a land regiment to get aboard his flagship), he ordered the battle to cease and for the fleet to withdraw.

On seeing the retreat, Yang, who had never actually left Iserlohn, asked Rear Admiral Attenborough if there was any way to exploit the enemy’s retreat, but there were no openings to punch through. The Alliance Fleet was ordered to return to the fortress.

Schönkopf is disappointed

Following that, Reuenthal stubbornly stayed out of range of Iserlohn’s guns, merely repeatedly approaching and retreating – which would eventually have the effect of increasing unease and nervous exhaustion taking its toll on the Alliance troops. All Alliance challenges for battle were refused.

Interrupting Yang taking some much needed rest, the Imperial fleet then commenced sending small groups of 500 ships at the fortress – repeatedly attacking at close range, and then retreating.

Yang ordered a counter-attack with the floating gun batteries, and the Thor Hammer – in the exchange of fire, Imperial ships targeted the floating gun batteries whilst the gun batteries and the Thor Hammer caused modest casualties.
Thor Hammer fire control

Image Image
Image Image

The Imperial Fleet retreated, having destroyed multiple turrets and spacecraft launching decks.

A second wave then came in at a 53deg elevation, from the 9 o’clock direction, in the Thor Hammer’s blindspot. Floating turrets were moved to respond. The Thor Hammer managed to destroy more ships, whilst the gun turrets traded shots with the rest.

Exploding gun turrets caused Iserlohn’s hydro-metal to become turbulent – which was made worse when the wreckage of an Imperial battleship slammed into it. The small attack group pressed its attack, firing barrages of beams into the unsettled hydro-metal, which acted like a stormy sea.

ImageImage

ImageImage

With the outer wall exposed, Yang ordered the guns near the enemy’s attacking point to be automated, then ordered the firing of the Thor Hammer whilst it was still inside the disturbed hydro-metal – though this would have the effect of destroying those gun turrets, it would also push the hydro-metal back into place.

ImageImage
An Imperial battleship drops explosive charges to keep the hydro-metal unstable

The exposed outer wall

The battleship is caught in the wave caused by the Thor Hammer’s submerged firing

Surf’s up!

Destroying several ships caught in the after-effects, the hydro-metal was successfully pushed back into place, and the outer wall was saved.

Reuenthal was impressed, but he still held the advantage – with the surface in such a state, the floating gun platforms couldn’t be used. The attack continued.

Yang relied on the Thor Hammer for defence – not waiting for it to get to its full charge, its third firing was at 70% power. It had the desired effect – the sixth attack formation was about to move in when Reuenthal ordered a temporary retreat.

At this point, Bergengrun reported that 200 of Iserlohn’s gun turrets had been destroyed, in exchange for 200 ships. Reuenthal decided it was enough – considerable damage had been inflicted on Iserlohn. In accordance with the plan, he requested reinforcements from Odin - which made their way to the Fezzan Corridor instead.

Yang abandons Iserlohn

A stalemate ensued from early December 798 to early January 799.

Come early January, with Fezzan having fallen to the Imperial Fleet, Yang received a message from the Fleet General Staff Office (courtesy of Admiral Bucock) stating “The Fleet General Staff Office will take all responsibility. You shall take whatever action you feel is best”.

Yang took the message as intended- he would abandon Iserlohn Fortress and join the main Alliance force in repelling the Imperial invasion from the Fezzan Corridor. Yang observed that Iserlohn Fortress was now useless, and defending it accomplished nothing but keeping the Yang Fleet out of the war.

Rear Admiral Murai asked him to consider the effect on Alliance morale, when the news got out that Yang had been chased out of Iserlohn. Yang took the point, but flatly stated he couldn’t be held responsible for that.

In frank discussions with Brigadier General Schönkopf, Yang characterized his approach as returning something that had been “borrowed” from the Empire. If they needed Iserlohn later, they would simply “borrow” it again.

Tristan, flanked by Admiral Lennenkampf’s flagship, the Galga Farmr, with Skirnir’s prow in foreground

Meanwhile, in a meeting with Lutz and Lennenkampf, Reuenthal advised them of his belief that Yang would abandon Iserlohn. Admiral Lennenkampf disagreed, and advocated taking Iserlohn by force – which Reuenthal dismissed.

The discussion got heated – Lennenkampt argued that Yang’s military reputation would be untarnished if Iserlohn remaining impregnable. Reuenthal mocked Lennenkampf by saying that if Yang were Lennenkampf, then he would indeed think that way.

Lutz had a cooler head – though he too desired the launch of an offensive, he acknowledged High Admiral Reuenthal had made his decision. Whether he simply said this to mollify Lennenkampf’s anger is unknown.

Reuenthal apologized for his remark, but noted that he saw no need to sacrifice anything to take Iserlohn if they would get it for free in any event. That did not mean that they would simply lay siege and not launch any further attacks – that would allow Yang to plan, unmolested. Therefore, continuous harassment attacks were launched against the fortress.

Imperial destroyer, foreground, with cruisers

ImageImage
A shot from Poplin's Spartanian hulls a destroyer

Imperial gunships drop bombs on Iserlohn’s surface

The harassment attacks were initially dealt with Spartanian fighters and the floating gun turrets, until Yang sent Rear Admiral Attenborough out to chase the enemy away – Rear Admiral Cazerne was having difficulty making the logistics arrangements for the escape when the relevant data was changing every second. Further, the ceaseless attacks were increasing crew fatigue and making execution of the plan more difficult.

Triglav chases the enemy away

Attenborough was under strict orders to only chase the enemy away – they were not to press their attack or get out of range of the fortress’ guns. Attenborough and his officers chafed under the restrictions, but Yang steadfastly refused to allow them to press any advantage.

Yang and his cat. And Attenborough.

On Attenborough’s return to the fortress, he asked Yang for permission to try an idea, for which he’d take full responsibility. At Lieutenant Greenhill’s suggestion, he appended the request with “I found an easy way to win”. Yang was all ears, and let him proceed.

500 transports left Iserlohn, guarded by 2,000 warships, heading for Alliance territory. Bergengrun advised Reuenthal that though on the surface it looked like non-military VIPs and civilians escaping, it could be a trap – after all, it was Yang Wen-li.

Whilst they spoke, Admiral Lennenkampf set off in pursuit. Reuenthal was happy to let him go – if Lennenkampf actually caught them, it would mean that Yang’s well of knowledge had dried up. He would merely observe, and hope for the best from Lennenkampf.

Lennenkampf divided his forces in half, one to go in front to cut off their escape route, one to attack from behind and sandwich the enemy. Rear Admiral Knappstein would command the fleet from behind.

Lennenkampf’s overall fleet work was good, but Knappstein’s force came under fire from the fortresses floating turrets. Knappstein’s force lagged behind, and Reuenthal’s fleet was forced to come to their aid.

Reuenthal’s fleet fires on the floating gun turrets, forcing them to submerge

Lennenkampf’s fleet was disorganized, but he pressed ahead and charged the enemy fleet.

Image Image
Lennenkampf’s forces charge at the Alliance ships defending the transports

The Alliance warships retreated, leaving the transports undefended. Lennenkampf ordered maximum speed ahead to surround the transports.

When they got close, all the transports exploded. They had been filled with Seffle particles.

ImageImage
The Galga Farmr reverses out of the blast

Rear Admiral Grillparzer, foreground, and Lennenkampf

With Lennenkampf’s fleet in chaos, Attenborough turned back on them. Reuenthal sent Admiral Lutz to chase him off, and Attenborough retreated.

Lennenkampf lost close to 2,000 ships. He relayed his shame to Reuenthal, but Reuenthal was upbeat – they knew Yang’s plan now. Their tactics were to discourage pursuit as they escaped the fortress.

Bergengrun asked whether they should prepare for pursuit – Reuenthal did not see the need for one. If Yang was let go, then they could capture Iserlohn easily. Such a victory was good enough. Bergengrun also noted that if they let Yang go, he could become a ‘disease’ for the Imperial fleet later on.

Reuenthal responded that if they were to go after Yang, then all of the fleet would need to cooperate to do it – he saw no need for only his fleet to ‘take the risk of infection’.

Before Bergengrun could press again, Reuenthal told him an old saying:- “if there are no wild animals, there’ll be no use for the hunters. So the hunters avoid killing off all the wild animals.” Bergengrun took his meaning, and urged him to watch his words, lest there be any misunderstandings.

Preparations began for the takeover of Iserlohn Fortress.

On Iserlohn, Cazerne handed Yang the plans for ‘Operation Ark’ – the evacuation of 5,068,224 military and civilian personnel from Iserlohn. Though the transports that had been destroyed were old, they would still have been useful – their destruction meant the loading of many civilians on military ships. For example, the battleship Ulysses (as a lucky ship) took on 600 children and their mothers.

Finally, Yang had multiple bombs set up in Iserlohn – so the Imperial forces wouldn’t detect the real trap, which whilst simple, had no meaning unless the fortress was unharmed. The bombs were therefore planted where they could be found - neither too easily or with too much difficulty.

Yang explains himself to Lieutenant Greenhill

On 9 January, 799, the Yang Fleet departed Iserlohn Fortress. Admiral Lennenkampf, calmer now after his failure, readily accepted Reuenthal’s rationale that an immediate pursuit would only harm them – they would go down in history as a fleet which killed helpless civilians.

Bergengrun was ordered to take Iserlohn Fortress, and then chase the Yang Fleet – but he was not to catch up to or fight Yang, at least for a while. Lutz advocated sending in explosive experts ahead of the main force, which was done. All of Yang’s bombs were located before they went off.

Reuenthal’s fleet approaches Iserlohn

Tristan docked

Reuenthal wondered if the bombs were all Yang had left behind. He put the thought out of his mind – he would not be responsible for Iserlohn’s fate after its capture.

“We have retaken Iserlohn Fortress” was the message Reuenthal sent to Odin. It had been nearly two years since the Empire last controlled Iserlohn.

There was a minor incident during the takeover. An Imperial officer was caught stealing Alliance resources. In compliance with military law, he was tried and publicly executed. Reuenthal performed the execution himself. The condemned officer railed at the hypocrisy of being executed for trifling theft whilst Duke Lohengramm took over the whole universe.

Reuenthal's response

Aftermath

Despite minor setbacks, Reuenthal’s operation was a success. The diversion had worked, focusing all eyes on the Iserlohn Corridor whilst the bulk of the Imperial Fleet took the Fezzan Corridor.

Worse, Yang’s departure from Iserlohn had been sufficiently delayed to preclude the Yang Fleet’s involvement at the Battle of Rantemario.