What if Jedi and Sith appeared on modern Earth?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Rossum
Padawan Learner

What if Jedi and Sith appeared on modern Earth?

Post by Rossum »

Here's the setup:

The force exists on modern day Earth and the inhabitants of Earth have the capacity to manipulate it. The average earthling is about as likely as the average inhabitant of the Star Wars galaxy to be force sensitive, however there is nobody on earth who knows the training techniques needed to properly use it. I'm not 100% sure how force sensitivity works... maybe anyone with the time and patience to train for it can learn to levitate biscuits but only a select few can perform the more powerful force abilities... or it could be that only a certain type of person can get any use out of the force at all. I'm just going to say that its the same here as in the Star Wars universe.

A Random Omnipotent Being notices this decides to deposit some Jedi and Sith on Earth so that they may teach humanity how to use the Force. It does this by scanning all of Star Wars history, locating various Jedi and Sith who would not be missed by history (mostly ones who would otherwise die without leaving a body that anyone would find) and then teleporting them in pairs to Earth. Each Jedi and Sith 'pair' is dropped off separately on a semi-random place on Earth where they should have enough time to get their bearings and craft a disguise if necessary before any local authorities have a chance to find them. Human or human-looking people could show up at nearly any city where they would blend in, nearly humans like Twi'leki probably find themselves at costume parties where they will have enough time to get their bearings before devising a plan, and Jedi or Sith who are obviously inhuman or resemble animals or mythical creatures get deposited in the outskirts of civilization where they have a better chance of hiding from humans and only showing themselves to those they trust.

The Jedi and Sith appear with only the clothes on their back, their lightsabers, and any gadgets they have in their pockets. It is extremely unlikely that any of them could build advanced star wars tech using modern day materials aside from maybe making some lightsabers (likely very crude and primitive ones). Their biggest advantage is their use of the force and the ability to teach it to local humans if they so desire.

The ROB in charge of this mess doesn't make itself known and simply deposits equal numbers of Jedi and Sith across the world every week a decent secret society, cult, or religion is established that can reliably make use of most of the force-sensitive population of earth. All of the movies, books, and material about the Star Wars galaxy is still here and will doubtlessly confuse the hell out of the Jedi and Sith dropped here. It has no intention of letting them return to their own universe and if they do devise a way to get home then it will probably re-route them to a point in time after the last canon events in the Star Wars franchise.

So, what would happen?
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: What if Jedi and Sith appeared on modern Earth?

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Well, since you said Sith come along, that means that they're probably going to try to take over Earth.
Jake
Padawan Learner

Post by Jake »

Do the Jedi/Sith know of each others existence on earth? If the jedi know of the sith, this will most likely put a damper on their adoption into the Republican party taking over the earth. Also, considering we are getting pretty random, crappy, unknown jedi and sith, force sensitive humans may not get to learn as much as their star wars counterparts. An exception to this (which would be awesome) is if the jedi and sith who were killed by the thought bomb on Ruusan (Lord Hoth, Lord Kaan...)
were brought to earth. Since there were no bodies no one would suspect it and there are some pretty damn powerful and knowledgeable force users on that list...
If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you. If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
Chuck Norris' chief export is pain.
They once made a Chuck Norris toilet paper, but it wouldn't take shit from anybody.
Chuck Norris played Russian Roulette with a fully loaded revolver.... and won.
Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.
Chuck Norris once visited the Virgin Islands. They are now the Islands.
Chuck Norris doesn't sleep, he waits.
Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad Chuck Norris has never cried. Ever.
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

The way I see it, the ROB simply drops each one of them off on Earth without giving them any knowledge of the others. But the Force does allow for precognition and clairvoyance and since they are all going to be on one planet instead of a whole galaxy then I think it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to assume that some of the more powerful members of each side would be able to detect, locate, and contact the other Jedi and Sith.

As for the quality of the respective force users, I'd say that the ROB selects them on something like a bell curve... with the majority of them being of "average" strength with a few outliers who are either exceptionally powerful or exceptionally weak. Though it will try to get a wide variety of force powers among them... there could be a few Jedi Healers among them or other specialized force users. They wouldn't have to be 'powerful' just know different ways to use the force and hopefully teach it to others.

But yeah, having a few exceptionally powerful ones come along would be nice. Though haveing too many could result in problems. I'm guessing... maybe two or three really powerful users would be on each group at a time tops (though it could increase with larger numbers of people brought in) if one of the heavy hitters gets killed then after a while they would be replaced with another powerful one. If anyone asks, they will probably assume that the Force is balancing itself by keeping equilibrium between the number of powerful force users on either side.
Last edited by Rossum on 2010-08-17 08:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Star Wars 888
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Wars 888 »

The Jedi and Sith would go underground like the Free Masons, Illuminati and other supposed secret organizations. Well, maybe. The Jedi would probably gain more followers, since the Sith if they attempted to recruit would be looked upon as a crazy devil worshiping organization.
LionElJonson
Padawan Learner

Post by LionElJonson »

I dunno; the Sith aren't that bad. They're about being emotional, and using those emotions to free you from restraints. Not that much worse than the Jedi, anyway; both would likely fit in as New Age religions quite nicely.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

LionElJonson wrote:I dunno; the Sith aren't that bad. They're about being emotional, and using those emotions to free you from restraints. Not that much worse than the Jedi, anyway; both would likely fit in as New Age religions quite nicely.
No. The Sith are about using anger and hate to fuel your power and seeking power above all else. The movies are quite clear about that, when you tap into the Dark Side it consumes you.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The Sith start up Enron Mk2 and make thirty five billion dollars before fleeing to seize power in Angola, the Jedi are quickly arrested or killed after pulling out lightsabers in bar fights.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Sea Skimmer wrote:The Sith start up Enron Mk2 and make thirty five billion dollars before fleeing to seize power in Angola, the Jedi are quickly arrested or killed after pulling out lightsabers in bar fights.
And Darth Cheney becomes a reality. We can't forget that. He launches a reign of terror and ironfisted domination until Glenn Beck decides he's lost contact with the base, and decides to reach out and force choke a bitch.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

In this scenario do the star wars movies exist? If they do these guys can walk around out of disguise and be assumed to be uber nerds.
une
Padawan Learner

Post by une »

Assuming the Jedi/Sith went public I think the religious ramifications would be huge. For the first time in history you would have religious leaders with actual magic powers to back up their claims.

If over a billion people are willing to believe in God because of a book, how many will believe in the Force once they see someone levitate objects or blast lightning from his hands? The arrival of the Jedi/Sith could lead to the end of all major religions on Earth.
LionElJonson
Padawan Learner

Post by LionElJonson »

The Vortex Empire wrote:
LionElJonson wrote:I dunno; the Sith aren't that bad. They're about being emotional, and using those emotions to free you from restraints. Not that much worse than the Jedi, anyway; both would likely fit in as New Age religions quite nicely.
No. The Sith are about using anger and hate to fuel your power and seeking power above all else. The movies are quite clear about that, when you tap into the Dark Side it consumes you.
And in the first KotOR game, when you see what the Sith are actually teaching in their academy, it's basically "Use your emotions to gain power, and free yourself from the constraints put on you." Needless to say, this results in a lot of thuggery and back-biting, but I could totally see it becoming a thing among the rebellious teenager set.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

there would be a big war that puts WWII to shame. the jedi lose after 6 mounths
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

LionElJonson wrote: And in the first KotOR game, when you see what the Sith are actually teaching in their academy, it's basically "Use your emotions to gain power, and free yourself from the constraints put on you." Needless to say, this results in a lot of thuggery and back-biting, but I could totally see it becoming a thing among the rebellious teenager set.
And if you notice, that academy produces nothing but sadistic psychopaths. Sith=evil.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I can see most major religions breaking apart and the world becoming pretty much divided between Light and Dark Sides. Then, I think a rather nasty war will break out.

Who'd a thunk it. Maybe the Armageddon bible story will turn out right after all...LOLS

ADDENDUM:
I can also see dictators like Kim Jong-Il recruiting as many Sith as possible for a private bodyguard/assasin kind of force. Something like "Ill let you be despotic and kill people, as long as you obey me!"

Of course, some Sith will take the deal and promptly overthrow/manipulate said dicatator, and we end up with nations ruled by the Dark Side

Probably still be more peaceful than the Muslim fundamentalist nations though
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

The Vortex Empire wrote:
LionElJonson wrote: And in the first KotOR game, when you see what the Sith are actually teaching in their academy, it's basically "Use your emotions to gain power, and free yourself from the constraints put on you." Needless to say, this results in a lot of thuggery and back-biting, but I could totally see it becoming a thing among the rebellious teenager set.
And if you notice, that academy produces nothing but sadistic psychopaths. Sith=evil.
I think its said that the Dark Side can technically use any emotion, including happiness or love or whatever. Its just that anger, rage, and greed are the emotions that actually move people to get power. If you are greedy and sadistic enough to want to get power, and have no restraints to keep you from killing people, and the more greedy and less restrained you are then the more magic powers you get... yeah, the Dark Side is almost like driving a car that gets fueled by running over school children.

There might be some Sith out there who could fuel their Dark Side by having lots of sex and drugs and rock and roll and giving cupcakes to orphans or even using Dark Side powers that are fueled by joy and sunshine to cure sick children of cancer... but they aren't going be interested in acquiring power and without the restraints of keeping their emotions in check they might quickly turn to anger just to "Show those nasty people that you can't impose your will on others.".

Yeah... if there was a system that actually rewarded people with power for being overly emotional and not keeping their behavior in check then there would probably be a few people who would use it screw around and have harmless fun, but there's always the risk that they'll go nuts or get involved with the wrong crows and use their power for evil.

Also, this scenario is assuming that all of the Star Wars movies still exist and the Jedi and Sith would recognize it as being similar to the events of their own galaxy. Some details may be wrong (like what the various characters look like as opposed to the actors that play them) but enough details are right that there would be no mistake about it. Some Jedi and Sith would probably hoard all the Star Wars material and go through it with the intent of figuring out what was going on and then try to devise a way to get back home. Jedi might want to get back to the point in time where they could prevent the rise of the Empire (or maybe work around it in a way that keeps the force in balance) while Sith try to bend it towards their own ends. Either way, expect someone to try and find a way to cross back over into the Star Wars galaxy and others who want to at least control who is trying to do so.

If things like Jedi and Sith exist then that could mean the the Death Star exists and nobody wants anyone messing around with power that might bring the Death Star anywhere near Earth.

Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

I never enter discussions on the topic of "Fictional character X comes to Earth and reads/watches the fiction about himself, what happens??" or similar. Just personal preference, but they feel too parodical for me to invest anything in them, somehow.

That said . . .
The Vortex Empire wrote:
"Consumes" how? Apart from scary "Evil Yellow Eyes" the films themselves do not give evidence of the Dark Side being physically or mentally degenerative (although the EU does, but inconsistently). All we have on that level is dialogue from the Jedi Masters, who are not exactly rational or unbiased about it. Hell, Yoda said that it was impossible to return from the Dark Side, which disagrees with empirical fact established both in the films and (numerous times) in the EU.
LionElJonson wrote:And in the first KotOR game, when you see what the Sith are actually teaching in their academy, it's basically "Use your emotions to gain power, and free yourself from the constraints put on you." Needless to say, this results in a lot of thuggery and back-biting, but I could totally see it becoming a thing among the rebellious teenager set.
Not that this is really my business, but there are very few sources you could have used to hurt your case more. That videogame shows Sith that are about as Cartoon Evil as they ever get, right on par with KJA's and Lucas's most retarded depictions.

If you want the reasonably "reasonable" Sith, you should read the Dark Empire Sourcebook and its bit on Palpatine's philosophy.
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
sirocco
Padawan Learner

Post by sirocco »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:I can see most major religions breaking apart and the world becoming pretty much divided between Light and Dark Sides. Then, I think a rather nasty war will break out.

Who'd a thunk it. Maybe the Armageddon bible story will turn out right after all...LOLS
I don't know why but I can see it the other way round : major religions using those notions of Light and Dark Force to support their philosophy. Even going as far as to say that it's because of this schism that both Jedi and Sith are wrong and could find peace in a more balanced philosophy like said religions.

It's like when Islam met Hinduism and gave birth to Sikhism, a whole new religion that wanted to have the best :roll: of both worlds.
Future is a common dream. Past is a shared lie.
There is the only the 3 Presents : the Present of Today, the Present of Tomorrow and the Present of Yesterday.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

lordofchange13 wrote:there would be a big war that puts WWII to shame. the jedi lose after 6 mounths
:lol: With what? How are the Jedi supposed to unite and assemble a military force? What country will support them? They have no history on the planet at all. They're a bunch of guys that got dumped there and who are a little better at telekinesis than everyone else.
Best care anywhere.