Transhumanist Sci-fi

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

OsirisLord
Youngling

Transhumanist Sci-fi

Post by OsirisLord »

Sup SD. I just caught the new Deus Ex trailer and it's rekindled the on again off again interest I have in transhumanism. I wanted to know what would be a good list of transhumanist sci-fi literature.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Re: Transhumanist Sci-fi

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

There's a really good Transhumanist shor story in the collection The New Space Opera. I think it's by Ian MacDonald, but I could be wrong. It also deals with a Type 3 (or 4?) civilization meeting another one.

Then there's always Charles Stross.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

Not sure exactly how Transhumanist it is, but there is the Wellstone series by Wil McCarthy. The series kind of revolves around a few technologies like Wellstone (a type of programmable matter that can emulate a wide variety of physical properties... and make hats that have supercomputers built into them that can change shape when you tell them to), and nanotech "fax machines" that can dismantle an object, record its makeup on the atomic level, store the data, and rebuild an exact or modified copy elsewhere.

The Fax is where it dealves into the transhumanism since people can walk into the Fax, get scanned, and then have copies reconstructed elsewhere which are modified to eliminate damage due to age, disease, injury or even death... though they know that it kills them when they do this.

The people are essentially immorbid (they do die, but they can easily be rebuilt to perfect health) they also have backup copies of their personality on hand that can be used to print out a copy of themselves if they die in an accident, and even remerge two copies of a person so that the result has the memories of the two merged ones. Since they have computational power high enough to store the data a persons entire body and programs that can scan that data, there are numerous hacks and programs that can modify a person and change them into whatever they want. There are some who have turned themselves into blue-skinned centaurs, some who have rebuilt themselves with expanded brains and redundant organs... and some who tried turning into winged humanoids but found out that they could never get light enough to actually fly and unfortunately tried sacrificing some weight in their brains to lighten their bodies... which turns them into 'bird brains'.

But since all diseases can be cured with a trip through the Fax then any downsides to their transformations can be dealt with.

Anyway, the series is rather lighthearted with some dramatic bits. I would recommend checking it out just to give it a look over.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Vernor Vinge writes a lot of transhumanist stories; I haven't actually read most of them so I can't make recommendations but you could look into him.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

OsirisLord wrote:Sup SD. I just caught the new Deus Ex trailer and it's rekindled the on again off again interest I have in transhumanism. I wanted to know what would be a good list of transhumanist sci-fi literature.
By 'transhumanist' I guess you mean 'Ghost in the Shell'? The Deus Ex trailer was a pretty low read on the transhumanism scale, since it was about megastructures and retarded nano silliness.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Most of Greg Egan's books have transhuman protagonists. That said, he doesn't usually spend that much time detailing transhuman socities, preferring to base his plot twists on made up physics (Quarantine is the exception; the society is explored in some depth, though the central plot is still based on made up physics). They're good books though, particularly because they center on the characters actually applying the scientific method in an interesting and relatively realistic way. This was much more common in the early days of science fiction, you rarely see it now.

Nearly all his characters still have very human personalities despite being genetically engineered/cyber-augmented/uploads/AIs/all of the above, which is kind of annoying because it feels like they should be more alien given how detailed the technology is. That isn't really a criticism of Egan though, realistic characterisation of post-humans is very hard and few writers even attempt it.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Transhuman themes and ideas are dime a dozen in various stories. The biggest problem is finding a book that is also a good story rather than a info dump. Does anyone of know of transhuman scifi that also has fun dialogue and interesting characters ? I mean like Snow Crash as opposed to dull drab writtings like Charles Stross who would be better served by posting a RAR! thread like Zor instead of attempting novels.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

I find Charles Stross to be a good writer. Try his Atrocity Archives if you don't like his more "out-there" stuff.

I'm not sure that there are any really great stories that also involve a lot of transhumanist themes. It kind of kills the drama.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

I'd recommend some of the comics work of Warren Ellis. His stories are rarely about transhumanism per se, but it tends to be a pretty big theme. Although he plays pretty fast and loose with it: for instance, in the future of Transmetropolitan, cellphones have been replaced with pills that grow temporary communication devices in peoples' heads. There's a lot of bizarre mody-modification going on in that series. But he also takes a more realistic approach at times.
Stark wrote:
OsirisLord wrote:Sup SD. I just caught the new Deus Ex trailer and it's rekindled the on again off again interest I have in transhumanism. I wanted to know what would be a good list of transhumanist sci-fi literature.
By 'transhumanist' I guess you mean 'Ghost in the Shell'? The Deus Ex trailer was a pretty low read on the transhumanism scale, since it was about megastructures and retarded nano silliness.
What are you talking about? The DX3 trailer didn't have a trace of nanotechnology. It was all mechanics. It takes place 25 years before the original, remember?

And maybe I'm missing something, but what do megastructures have to do with transhumanism?
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Any of Alistair Reynolds stuff is pretty much transhumanist, but House of Suns is an especially good book and also a standalone.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Bruce Sterling's Shaper/Mechanist stories are all about this kind of stuff; one of the main themes is conflict between various transhuman factions (e.g. the Shapers, who favour genetic modification, and the Mechanists, who're more into cybernetics). See if you can pick up one of the collections of his works, like Schismatrix Plus.
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

S. Andrew Swann has written a number of sci-fi technothriller/mysteries in settings with strong transhumanist backgrounds.

His Moreau trilogy is based around uplifted animals and gene engineered humans, with a healthy helping of AIs.

Hostile Takeover, same universe a couple hundred years latter, has a transhumanist commune with nanotech and personality uploads on an anarchy world.

Apotheosis trilogy, same universe even latter on, is even more centered on AIs, nanotech, and personality uploading.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
speaker-to-trolls
Jedi Master

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

I'm going to second Alastair Reynolds, as someone who actually can do good human drama when writing about weird things like cyborgs and ancient post intelligent things. I'd also like to say that I think Charles Stross is hideously overrated, at least in terms of his space opera stories and a few of the other short ones I've read (Missile Gap and that one with Nanotech Cthulhu, both of which just kind of peter out at the end).
Post Number 1066 achieved Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:19 pm(board time, 8:19GMT)
Batman: What do these guys want anyway?
Superman: Take over the world... Or rob banks, I'm not sure.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Stark wrote:
Ehh, what nano silliness? It was all mechanical augmentations. Nano augs were hot shit in the first Deus Ex, and this is a prequel.

EDIT: Fucking beaten.

Also, Alastair Reynolds++;
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
interstella87
Redshirt

Post by interstella87 »

I have to agree about Alastair Reynolds (despite the fact he is my all time favourite author), his Revelation Space universe is truly fantastic and a great example of Transhuman societies.

Another book which is an amazing look at Transhuman ideas is Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan. There are about 3 books in the series but the sequels do not compare what so ever to the first one.

The basic premise of the universe is that human minds are uploaded to a 'server' and then can be downloaded into any body. I read this quite a few years ago so the technical jargon is missing a bit! I just liked the idea of our uploaded hero's mind being transmitted to a planet that needed a special forces soldier and then being downloaded into an augmented body to ....well...f*ck sh*t up if you excuse my French.

Approved necro. Do not lock. -D
LionElJonson
Padawan Learner

Post by LionElJonson »

Iain Banks writes pretty good transhumanist sci-fi in his Culture novels.

Also the Orion's Arm setting in general, though that doesn't have much actual fiction written for it.
sirocco
Padawan Learner

Post by sirocco »

There's also the Hyperion novels by Dan Simmons, though only the poet has undergone various physical transformations. He was a satyr at one point.

Are you looking for Mechanized humans like in Ghost in the shell and Deus Ex or just any story about engineering the human body?
Future is a common dream. Past is a shared lie.
There is the only the 3 Presents : the Present of Today, the Present of Tomorrow and the Present of Yesterday.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

sirocco wrote:There's also the Hyperion novels by Dan Simmons, though only the poet has undergone various physical transformations. He was a satyr at one point.

Are you looking for Mechanized humans like in Ghost in the shell and Deus Ex or just any story about engineering the human body?
I would not consider Hyperion on its merits as transhuman fiction. Hyperion is a wonderful story overall that features many themes. It is also very "soft" scifi that is most unlike the "gritty near future" look and feel of Deus Ex and GiTs.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

I enjoyed John Varley's Steel Beach when I was about 15 or so but haven't been able to read it again since so I can only vouch for it from memory. He's won some awards so I would assume that his work is at least passable and the idea of casual gender changes and action movie heroes storing their brains in their chests so their heads can get blown off for the scene is definitely transhuman.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

If you're into paper and pencil roleplaying games, you might wanna check out Eclipse Phase. It deals with a lot of transhuman themes and elements, and some of the background and enclosed fiction are well done.

I'll second the Takeshi Kovacs books by Richard Morgan (Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, and Woken Furies).
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

Miles Vorkosigan books by Lois McMaster Bujold are very transhumanist. The take place in the far future among multiple starsystems. There are no aliens, but humans have diverged massively in culture and genetics to create some freaky mixtures.
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Norade wrote:I enjoyed John Varley's Steel Beach when I was about 15 or so but haven't been able to read it again since so I can only vouch for it from memory. He's won some awards so I would assume that his work is at least passable and the idea of casual gender changes and action movie heroes storing their brains in their chests so their heads can get blown off for the scene is definitely transhuman.

Sort of along that same line, Varley's Ophiuchi Hotline is about a society that's desperately trying to NOT go transhumanist and the consequences of that. I wouldn't necessarily call it hard scifi in some regards, but it definitely has transhumanist elements.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber