War of the Worlds: Goliath

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Zor
Sith Acolyte

War of the Worlds: Goliath

Post by Zor »

15 years after the War, the Martians Return

Flying aircraft Carriers, sweet looking fighting machines, biplanes, human mechs and flying machines. Looks pretty good for a direct to DVD animated thing.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: War of the Worlds: Goliath

Post by NecronLord »

War of the Worlds, and this, as far as I can see, is technology-based sci-fi. Moving thread.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Grif
Youngling

Post by Grif »

Impressive. To think a Malaysian company would be funding and be involved in this. Heh, one movie I would watch.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Lousy trailer, terrible fanwank idea.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Bounty wrote:Lousy trailer, terrible fanwank idea.
Eh, its not bad. Most shows like this could charitable be called fanwank... if it were being done by fans. :P
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
dworkin
Jedi Master

Post by dworkin »

Looks like a typical flying battleships and war-walker drama. They don't have to make sense (because they can't). Just with added Wellsian Martians. Look on the bright sight side, it could of involved Burrough's Martian Princesses instead.
Don't abandon democracy folks, or an alien star-god may replace your ruler. - NecronLord
prestonwatson
Redshirt

Post by prestonwatson »

Hi All,

I am a newbie and have join today itself. I am always interested in Sci-Fi. I don't have any particular idea about war of the worlds. Are you guys talking about the movie? Can anybody take the pain of explaining me so that I can also join you. Thanks in advance.
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

prestonwatson wrote:Hi All,

I am a newbie and have join today itself. I am always interested in Sci-Fi. I don't have any particular idea about war of the worlds. Are you guys talking about the movie? Can anybody take the pain of explaining me so that I can also join you. Thanks in advance.
War of the Worlds was a book written in 1898 by H.G. Wells, perhaps the first of the "Alien Invasion" genre of fiction. It's available free online: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/36

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I find it curious that they don't show the Martians themselves.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Zixinus wrote:I find it curious that they don't show the Martians themselves.
Actually, they do have concept art of the martians and to be honest, they look alright (although a few more tentacles would have been nice).

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

In the origional book the protagonist mentions the Martians don't really have bodies- they have physical form, but the change the body they are using depending on what they are doing.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Samuel wrote:
In the origional book the protagonist mentions the Martians don't really have bodies- they have physical form, but the change the body they are using depending on what they are doing.
...he didn't mean that they literally changed their body, he was talking about how they would create new machines to suit the purposes of whatever they were doing, since their actual bodies were atrophied to the point of just being a brain and manipulator tentacles.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
dworkin
Jedi Master

Post by dworkin »

Samuel wrote:In the origional book the protagonist mentions the Martians don't really have bodies- they have physical form, but the change the body they are using depending on what they are doing.
Eh?
Mr Wells on first seeing a martian wrote:A big greyish rounded bulk, the size, perhaps, of a bear, was rising slowly and painfully out of the cylinder. As it bulged up and caught the light, it glistened like wet leather.

Two large dark-coloured eyes were regarding me steadfastly. The mass that framed them, the head of the thing, was rounded, and had, one might say, a face. There was a mouth under the eyes, the lipless brim of which quivered and panted, and dropped saliva. The whole creature heaved and pulsated convulsively. A lank tentacular appendage gripped the edge of the cylinder, another swayed in the air.

Those who have never seen a living Martian can scarcely imagine the strange horror of its appearance. The peculiar V-shaped mouth with its pointed upper lip, the absence of brow ridges, the absence of a chin beneath the wedgelike lower lip, the incessant quivering of this mouth, the Gorgon groups of tentacles, the tumultuous breathing of the lungs in a strange atmosphere, the evident heaviness and painfulness of movement due to the greater gravitational energy of the earth--above all, the extraordinary intensity of the immense eyes--were at
once vital, intense, inhuman, crippled and monstrous. There was
something fungoid in the oily brown skin, something in the clumsy
deliberation of the tedious movements unspeakably nasty. Even at this first encounter, this first glimpse, I was overcome with disgust and dread.
They're very well described.
Don't abandon democracy folks, or an alien star-god may replace your ruler. - NecronLord