From Posleen thread

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Stellar
Redshirt

From Posleen thread

Post by Stellar »

Hi Sheppard,

I know what i have to say is going to sound like a defense of Ringo ( like OSC isn't a brilliant writer with plenty of weird ideas about the world) but do your best to consider the possibility that i just like to argue here as much as elsewhere. :)
MKSheppard wrote:What I don't understand is how Ringo and his various authors utterly FUCKED up the US Military's systems.
Draft systems are inherently messed up even when your doing it with a far larger officer core and recruiting from better matching psychological profiles. When you are forced to basically integrate millions of men into armed forces of only around 1 million i don't see anything surprising in the situation as described by Ringo even if he did not employ the device of rejuv planning ( to get the right officers in the right places as units are formed) gone terribly wrong.
I mean, we've had consistent experience with drafts dating back to 1860, 1917-18 , 1940-45, The Cold War, etc.

What did the American draft army accomplish in Vietnam after years and years of slowly building up forces? What did the American armed forces of '11' million accomplish against the Germany armed forces in Normandy? Not much after three years of being able to build up forces in a safe continental base as far as my reading goes.
So why is it that the Darheel somehow MAGICALLY make the entire apparatus completely fucked up? There's a lot to be said for institutional inertia; "why do we need to do this because Mr xx (a Darheel in disguise) says so? Fuck him, the book says we do it this way."
I have only started reading book four now so perhaps i have not gotten to the point where the darheel is blamed for that failure but frankly it isn't in my opinion required to explain away the fact that half trained men with guns will run away from a better armed, better organized and far more numerous enemy.
We've been spending money on the Draft system and doing dry runs of it ever since we went to an all-volunteer army in the 1970s. AND, like the earlier drafts of Vietnam, Korea, WWII and WWI, the draft system would basically be run with people with ZERO connection to the military at all, basically the political leaders of the various draft districts; who would simply say, take the election board workers, hand them the US Army's "EZ GUIDE TO RUNNING A DRAFT" and tell them to do it.
And that has never involved mobilizing even ten or twenty million into the armed forces which is but a small fraction of the 80 -100 million Americans who are ( and where then) in the age group 16-40. Non of the wars you describe can in my opinion be used as example as in non of them was there ever the aim to mobilize tens of million to bear arms inside 4-5 years. Basically goals were set and rejuv's were promised leading to formations being raised accordingly and being left desperately short of people who make large groups of young men other than mobs who will fight only in self defense provided you can move them to someplace where they can't run for lack of trust in their 'comrades'.
I can understand a few mistakes and errors, but for the entire US Draft system to produce total incompetents uniformly across the US Army is just incomprehensible and goes well into "Writer's fiat" territory.
We must not have been reading the same books as i distinctly remember two entire corps being slaughtered during the initial landings for following orders as best they could with large formations fighting and dying in place or staging the best fighting retreat they considered possible( that being the most complex situation troops can be faced with) . The USSR had general good equipment and nearly as many men in 1941 and they were utterly gutted for lack of coordination and the fatal flaw of being forward deployed; i don't see why the US armed forces can not fail in the exact same way as the armed forces of other nations have failed in the past against much lesser enemies than even the 'mindless' posleen.
Others have suggested that the reason things were screwed up was that Rejuv was heavily rationed by the Galactics; but this makes no sense, as we didn't need Rejuv to raise 11+ million men and women into our armed forces in World War II.
Yes but there was no expectation in world war two of getting such and thus no illusion that formations could be raised faster than was the norm set by others. Obviously raising so many formations would not have been attempted without the promise of sufficient officers and obviously it made sense to accept this promise at face value as more formations means more fighting strength. Basically it comes down to expectations that were not met or the interventions of forces beyond your control; two things that are known to occur in times of war.
Additionally, the existing US Army/US Air Force/USMC is highly trained. [/quote

Sure and the best trained pilots of world war one using the best planes of world war 1 would still get slaughtered by the best trained pilots and best planes of world war two. This isn't even a question of suspending disbelief ( as one should be willing to do when setting out to enjoy this type of fiction) but one of misunderstanding the effect of technology on a age. The US air force and navy does not disappear so it's officers can hardly be used to bolster other forces in any significant way.
So why do we have such a massive problem with such a huge cadre of experienced personnel, plus the tons of people we can Rejuv to help out in a pinch from Vietnam, Korea, WWII, etc...
Because the problem is on a scale never before imagined. After four years of war ( start of book three) the US has suffered 45 million military casualties , 65 or so overall, meaning that it had to train as many simply to replace the losses and do so under wartime conditions where there was no such thing as a safe training area.

In closing the write clearly uses plenty of 'artistic license' but in my opinion this isn't one of them and never surprising to me knowing such facts as how the USSR had entire DIVISIONS to attack and destroy formations who retreated without orders in the face of the German onslaught. Fact is human nature is to survive and not to die pointless when it's so easy to convince ourselves that we can always fight later on and under better circumstances. This is patently doubly so when the enemy isn't human and will make a meal of you if you don't kill them all or get out of the way.

In conclusion history indicates to me at least that draft armies are unreliable at the best of times and of little use when they are more afraid of the enemy than of the punishment they expect to face for staging a strategic redeployment to the rear. One in my opinion only needs to look at the Vietnam debacle to see what happens when you compel Americans to fight against their will to see what might happen if you force American soldiers to fight battles they can't win against a overwhelmingly superior enemy force they can't defeat.

Please don't see this as a attack upon the courage of the American fighting man; even John Ringo who believes in the superiority/exceptional ism of the American fighting man/nation ( only intact nation after all) can easily see how disasters happen in this alternative reality....

Stellar
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Re: Preview of the new Posleen War book: Eye of the Storm

Post by Samuel »

Not Shep, but...
What did the American draft army accomplish in Vietnam after years and years of slowly building up forces?
The majority of US forces in Vietnam were not conscripts.
What did the American armed forces of '11' million accomplish against the Germany armed forces in Normandy?
We won? American performance in France was significantly better than our showing in Operation Torch.
I have only started reading book four now so perhaps i have not gotten to the point where the darheel is blamed for that failure but frankly it isn't in my opinion required to explain away the fact that half trained men with guns will run away from a better armed, better organized and far more numerous enemy.
Humanity had 5 years in order to drill trooper into an effective fighting unit. Not to mention that the Posleen run faster than you do and being out in the open (aka running) makes you a dead man.
Yes but there was no expectation in world war two of getting such and thus no illusion that formations could be raised faster than was the norm set by others. Obviously raising so many formations would not have been attempted without the promise of sufficient officers and obviously it made sense to accept this promise at face value as more formations means more fighting strength. Basically it comes down to expectations that were not met or the interventions of forces beyond your control; two things that are known to occur in times of war.
Except that humanity didn't consider that. They didn't consider the fact that an interstellar empire that is losing a war might not be able to make supply promises.
Fact is human nature is to survive and not to die pointless when it's so easy to convince ourselves that we can always fight later on and under better circumstances. This is patently doubly so when the enemy isn't human and will make a meal of you if you don't kill them all or get out of the way.
That would encourage people to fight to death. There is no where to run.
One in my opinion only needs to look at the Vietnam debacle to see what happens when you compel Americans to fight against their will to see what might happen if you force American soldiers to fight battles they can't win against a overwhelmingly superior enemy force they can't defeat.
American forces repeatedly crushed the NVA and Vietcong during the Vietnam war.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Re: From Posleen thread

Post by Ghost Rider »

There's PMing if you need be or start a new thread.

From here.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Blanket assertions that all conscripts are going to prove identical in performance to the Red Army c. Operation Barbarossa (which is in itself a very complex matter) would require considerable proof - speaking purely from a British perspective, while they weren't the equal of the Regular or firstline Territorial Battalions, the Service Battalions of conscripts raised in both World Wars were certainly not prone to folding like cheap suits.

And I would hazard a guess that, when facing carnivorous aliens intent on eating you and everyone you care about, motivation of conscripts, willing or unwilling, is unlikely to prove a problem.
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Stellar
Redshirt

Post by Stellar »

Samuel wrote:Not Shep, but...
Well i rudely interposed myself so i am willing to accept the punishment. :)
The majority of US forces in Vietnam were not conscripts.
Which is part of my point. Even a small influx of unwilling 'volunteers' has a widely out of proportion effect on disciple and morale. Admittedly that was such a ridiculous war against such a non threatening enemy that it's perhaps not serve as more than a very general example of the difficulties that can accompany conscription. Again there was no shortage of officers ( or at least there should not have been given the very gradual expansion of that war) so why the massive disciple issue that led to a modern American army that has still not entirely eradicated the drug culture that stems from that era?
We won? American performance in France was significantly better than our showing in Operation Torch.
No, the Red army 'won' by killing and bleeding white( and at the time of Normandy still fighting 70% of the remaining Wehrmacht formations) Germany for three years. That it took the 'western allies ' so much time and such overwhelming firepower to accomplish what they did speaks volumes as to it's comparative willingness to die for the cause of 'liberation'. And this is no attempt to disparage the west ( at least they didn't suffer the millions of battle casaulties the Germans/Russians did) or praise anyone as much as it is a reflection on why i think operation 'Torch' could have realistically happened in this particular universe.
Humanity had 5 years in order to drill trooper into an effective fighting unit.
Yes they had and in this alternative timeline the author goes some way to setting up reasons , which i find plausible enough, as to why it wasn't sufficient. Time spent on accomplishing a task is absolutely is only a very general measurement of how succesful one might be but it takes far more than just time& training ( presuming the correct principles are being taught, etc) to create a effective fighting force. The first meeting of the American armed forces with the Posleen, Diess ( sp?) happened only a year before the first ( and earlier than expected ) landings took place on Earth and if that was not enough my reading of military history strongly suggest that every division ( or large formation if you like) needs to learn the lessons by itself; basically you can only teach so much and the rest is synthesized from experience under fire.
Not to mention that the Posleen run faster than you do and being out in the open (aka running) makes you a dead man.
Which only means that you those which a sense of self preservation will start strategically redeploying to the rear sooner than they otherwise would. Self preservation sums up human behaviour quite well and that's why the original strategies called for well dug in infantry that simply could not run away even if they wanted to. Mobile forces that actively seeks out and engages the enemy are far more complex to coordinate and certainly calls for well trained and soldiers who can either be compelled to fight or are otherwise motivated to do so; it's not the norm and it takes more training and conditioning that most people understand.
Except that humanity didn't consider that. They didn't consider the fact that an interstellar empire that is losing a war might not be able to make supply promises.
And human nature isn't eternally optimistic! Perhaps the 'leaders' should have known better but since we are talking about the same leaders who have for many decades running sent Americans to fight wars they were not equipped or sufficiently manned to do i for one find the idea of serious %£%*%%$ at high levels not only possible but logically predictable. The fact that the 'left' ( don't even get me started about the funny leftist bashing) doesn't somehow manage to sabotage the entirely rearmament process might possibly only be explained by his need to actually not see all of American overan in the first few weeks. :) I am sure he would have liked to do that but that wouldn't have left much room for the last two books and whatever his other faults he likes to write and don't seem to have a issue with capitalism. :)
That would encourage people to fight to death. There is no where to run.

The absolutely vast majority of people avoids risking their lives needlessly when they can spot alternatives ( like running away based on the logic that they can fight more later on) and if you studied Second world war and Vietnam era army studies you will find that it takes a great deal of training to turn men into anything resembling efficient killers/riskers of their own lives . I can't find my doc with the other sources but a quick search found the following:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... p?t=536561

Admittedly Posleen are not human but i work from the basis that soldiers are acting in self preservation more so than they have issues with killing beast particularly . If anything this helps to explain why artillery ( tank cannons, artillery, etc) are the real killers on the battlefield with operators being out of direct line of fire ( or better protected) and firing at 'targets' where the results of their actions are not readily discernible.
American forces repeatedly crushed the NVA and Vietcong during the Vietnam war.
Yes. The exchange ratios where horrendously one sided but since the Vietnamese refused to accept this as 'evidence' that they were defeated they were not and merely kept on suffering the horrendous casualties that national liberation apparently required of them . In Ringo's books America has lost fully one third of it's population by book three strongly suggesting that he understands that inflicting vastly disproportionate casualties is not in itself proof that one is defeated. If you do not leave people with any other option but destruction ( The Vietnamese understood this so kept on fighting) they will keep on fighting and since ultimate victory is only possibly by the complete annihilation of the Posleen casualties suffered towards that ultimate aim becomes merely a question of efficiency.

Excuse my verbosity; i do my best but repetition does in my opinion have some virtues. :) Again since we are discussing the USA that is what i use as example but i don't consider the USA, it's citizenry or armed forces essentially different, or for that matter more or less 'guilty' ( insert crime against person/humanity) than anyone else.

getting a bit late so despite my better judgement i am not going to read this another time in the effort to make sure that i don't needlessly offend anyone, sorry about that....

Stellar
Stellar
Redshirt

Post by Stellar »

Hi admiral,
Black Admiral wrote:Blanket assertions that all conscripts are going to prove identical in performance to the Red Army c. Operation Barbarossa (which is in itself a very complex matter) would require considerable proof

I think i framed it as comparison to what can happen when men who had training under peacetime conditions, and with sufficient officers, are badly deployed , improperly led , and expected to conduct manoeuvres they were never trained for, against a better trained ( and that is what the Posleen are framed to be as they all fight without reservations and much in the way of fear) and coordinated enemy force. Operation Barbarossa IS a very complex issue and perhaps with reflection on what happened to 'regulars' of the French, British, Polish and other western allied forces even before Barbarossa we can just agree that even with well trained and commanded regular forces the ninth and ten corps never had much of a chance fighting in front of the primary defensive lines as described. The salient point then being that to attempt to do so with conscripts in relatively fresh formations where bound to be a disaster of more or less epic proportions.
- speaking purely from a British perspective, while they weren't the equal of the Regular or firstline Territorial Battalions, the Service Battalions of conscripts raised in both World Wars were certainly not prone to folding like cheap suits.
Not when fighting the conscripts of Germany and it's allies, no, because we are all human and we all know what the other is capable of. When it comes to flesh eating aliens and a relatively broken command structure ( it's not like you could flee the trench line without getting hanged for the offense; and you would be caught) has much in the way of means to force you to fight and die. A bit more than 300 British soldiers were shot for desertion in world war I and as far as i know conscript armies have ALWAYS worked on the basis that fighting the enemy might get you killed but deserting your ranks most certainly will. Perhaps you believe a majority of men willingly and merely march off to war knowing what to expect but i do not and have not seen much evidence for it. Human beings may be 'patriotic' in the sense that they will defend their community and homes but when it comes to much more it normally takes massive propaganda, a very obvious and dangerous external threat or compulsion under threat of death.
And I would hazard a guess that, when facing carnivorous aliens intent on eating you and everyone you care about, motivation of conscripts, willing or unwilling, is unlikely to prove a problem

Being motivated to defend your extended family and community is VERY different ( since the large majority of us would make some effort to do that) from being compelled to fight by people you do not respect or trust, in places or other communities where you do not think you have any chance of survival. The notion that human beings will simply die and fight in place 'for the greater good' is in my opinion mostly rubbish and men normally die for lack of options to keep on living and fighting as long as they can thus better defending their country.

Compelling men to fight other humans takes quite harsh measures already so by extension , in my mind at least, to compel them to fight enemies that can generally not be stopped by the use of individual weapons fire ( too little , too late) and who will also eat them would be a very hard task as units will not even bother retreating under fire ( as can be done with human enemies) but avoid combat to the best of their abilities from the start.

Well that sums up some of ideas/opinions and why i am having quite a blast reading these books despite this not being "Speaker for the dead" or similary inspired reading.

Stellar
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Stellar wrote:
No, the Red army 'won' by killing and bleeding white( and at the time of Normandy still fighting 70% of the remaining Wehrmacht formations) Germany for three years. That it took the 'western allies ' so much time and such overwhelming firepower to accomplish what they did speaks volumes as to it's comparative willingness to die for the cause of 'liberation'. And this is no attempt to disparage the west ( at least they didn't suffer the millions of battle casaulties the Germans/Russians did) or praise anyone as much as it is a reflection on why i think operation 'Torch' could have realistically happened in this particular universe.

Stellar
I'll guess I'll have to point out the obvious, that neither the Commonwealth or the USA were ever seriously threatened with Invasion and National Death(which meant we could be more leisurely about how we did things). The Soviet Union was.

I might add that any Posleen invasion means extinction as a species, since the primary political goals of te Posleen are "kill/eat anything", putting us in the role that the Soviet Union had against Nazi Germany.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Huh what? This came out of nowhere. Give me a chance to reply mang!
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Stellar
Redshirt

Post by Stellar »

MKSheppard wrote:Huh what? This came out of nowhere. Give me a chance to reply mang!
I didn't notice the date and didn't know there was much of a problem with resurrections around here. :) On top of that i expected that you would be notified of activity in a thread you were involved here....

Now that i have gotten some excuses out of way i will be ready to accept whatever other punishment you might deem necessary. :)

Stellar
Stellar
Redshirt

Post by Stellar »

Hi lonestar,
Lonestar wrote: 'll guess I'll have to point out the obvious, that neither the Commonwealth or the USA were ever seriously threatened with Invasion and National Death(which meant we could be more leisurely about how we did things). The Soviet Union was.
Ever heard sayings like the following, " More haste, less speed", or how similar sayings indicate that intent and dire consequences for failure have very little connection with actual results? Why did all the European forces ( or other in human history) so spectacularly fail despite the supposed best efforts ( give or take leftist/rightest/communist/etc conspiracies) of the various people's national interest being at stake? Why did Red army essentially fail despite the dire warnings in Germany literature about what they wished to do to the 'Slav's' in general? Why can everyone but, apparently, the US armed forces fail in even the short run?
I might add that any Posleen invasion means extinction as a species, since the primary political goals of te Posleen are "kill/eat anything", putting us in the role that the Soviet Union had against Nazi Germany.
Exactly and still the Red army had essentially lost the war by August 1941 and if the Germans concentrated just a little bit harder on Moscow in September or that did not happen to be earliest onset of winter in that century so far Moscow would have fallen or be encircled with the Germans thus gaining western Russia and in my opinion in 1942 everything up to their original 'Festung West' line on Volga-Archangel.

Basically i don't understand why it's any surprise that those two corps were basically annihilated ( in this universe at least) due to being forced to move from fixed defenses, trough fleeing civilians and with disrupted communications, into forward unprepared areas.

But that's just me.

Stellar
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Stellar wrote:
Ever heard sayings like the following, " More haste, less speed", or how similar sayings indicate that intent and dire consequences for failure have very little connection with actual results? Why did all the European forces ( or other in human history) so spectacularly fail despite the supposed best efforts ( give or take leftist/rightest/communist/etc conspiracies) of the various people's national interest being at stake? Why did Red army essentially fail despite the dire warnings in Germany literature about what they wished to do to the 'Slav's' in general? Why can everyone but, apparently, the US armed forces fail in even the short run?
Not everyone DID Fail, The other big industrial power on Europe didn't(Soviet Union). And the Russians certainly didn't fail, they did the lions share of fighting against the Germans(as you so helpfully pointed out).

As for "In-universe" reason why everyone else but the United States failed in the Posleen War series(except canada, lol) it's extremely poor writing. Ringo heavily drinks from the extreme far right kool-aid, and it shows up in a lot of his other books as well. The idea that Russia falls under to the Posleen but Canada doesn't(because "Canada is too cold") is fucking moronic.
Exactl and still the Red army had essentially lost the war by August 1941 and if the Germans concentrated just a little bit harder on Moscow in September or that did not happen to be earliest onset of winter in that century so far Moscow would have fallen or be encircled with the Germans thus gaining western Russia and in my opinion in 1942 everything up to their original 'Festung West' line on Volga-Archangel.
I think you are really, really, really underestimating the Soviet War Effort. (I highly recommend Russia's War by Overly) While the Germans had a lot of monumental early successes, their entire war plan hinged on taking out Russia by the end of the year. Which was impossible. It isn't like France or the Low Countries where the supply lines are short, it's several hundred miles from the Polish Border to Moscow, which means that the Blitzkrieg wasn't(couldn't) very. And even with the crippling of the (European) Red Army, there were still many, many more Russian Troops in the Far East.

Basically i don't understand why it's any surprise that those two corps were basically annihilated ( in this universe at least) due to being forced to move from fixed defenses, trough fleeing civilians and with disrupted communications, into forward unprepared areas.

But that's just me.

Stellar

It's a huge Surprise. The Earth Forces had several years to prepare to fight against an enemy that could charitably be called "tactical retards", and magically the only one who is competent is the Americans? Must be because of our refurbed museum ships! :roll:

The entire series is a "rah rah Team America" deal, and it's made bloody clear that it is because Canada is somehow immune to the invasion(because of it's climate) but Russia knuckles under.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Not just our climate but our rugged geography. Apparently the Posleen have trouble with hills and mountains, so Canada is OK. So not only does he not realize that Russia has a very similar climate but that Canada (Ontario especially) is quite warm in the summer (the Vancouver area rarely gets below -15 even in the middle of winter) and large mountain ranges do not cover a large area of the country.

How the hell we're supposed to survive with 30+ million people living in the Rockies, Appalachian, Shield and Adirondack Mountains is beyond me. Yes we could hunt and whatnot (fish if we can get close enough to the Pacific) but those ares aren't exactly great for farming. Piling us all into Newfoundland (the island portion) or Vancouver Island makes a hell of a lot more sense.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Not just our climate but our rugged geography. Apparently the Posleen have trouble with hills and mountains, so Canada is OK. So not only does he not realize that Russia has a very similar climate but that Canada (Ontario especially) is quite warm in the summer (the Vancouver area rarely gets below -15 even in the middle of winter) and large mountain ranges do not cover a large area of the country.

How the hell we're supposed to survive with 30+ million people living in the Rockies, Appalachian, Shield and Adirondack Mountains is beyond me. Yes we could hunt and whatnot (fish if we can get close enough to the Pacific) but those ares aren't exactly great for farming. Piling us all into Newfoundland (the island portion) or Vancouver Island makes a hell of a lot more sense.
Okay, But Russia still has the Far North, the Urals, etc...in otherwords, plenty of rugged geography. Which is why it's moronic to wave away Canada surviving but not Russia or China.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Lonestar wrote:
Okay, But Russia still has the Far North, the Urals, etc...in otherwords, plenty of rugged geography. Which is why it's moronic to wave away Canada surviving but not Russia or China.
Oh I agree with you, it's just that he never even bothered to put any thought into how either our nations survive in that circumstance. Canadians could retreat to far North/High Arctic as well but how the hell are we supposed to eat?

I realize he likes Canada and hates Russia but this is just plain laziness.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Stellar wrote:When you are forced to basically integrate millions of men into armed forces of only around 1 million i don't see anything surprising in the situation as described by Ringo even if he did not employ the device of rejuv planning ( to get the right officers in the right places as units are formed) gone terribly wrong.
The problem is, that while it's generally accepted that a draftee army will be of lesser overall quality than a all volunteer force; a draft army can be very high quality -- 75% or so of the effectiveness of a volunteer force -- it all depends on how you treat your draftees -- if you treat them as expendabul ammunition to be expended with a minimum of training, then overall their quality will not be good -- look at the Red Army of 1942 as it struggled to replace it's colossal losses in 1941 with new men while also having to fight off the German 1942 Summer Offensive.

By 1943, the situation for the Soviets wasn't as dire as it was in 1941-42, so they were able to spend more time on training the men, and additionally, by this time, the junior officers who had survived 1941-1942 were now moving into lower grade command positions, and the middle grade command positions which had been decimated by the Stalinist purges of the late 1930s were finally being filled with experienced officers.

Comrade Stas has pointed out that in many cases of the higher grade command positions, the people who were purged were replaced with their subordinates; so the loss at the higher level wasn't *that* bad, e.g. a General of the Army was purged and replaced with a Colonel General, who at least had some staff courses and experience.

However, at the middle grade level; a whole military generation of leaders was wiped out and their junior subordinates promoted up in grade.

To put things in context, while someone fresh out of Officer Candidate School (90 day wonder) can minimally command a platoon, and in extreme situations, a severely depleted company; they can't jump right up to battalion/brigade command (Major/Colonel) without several years of experience at both the company level, and then a few more years as a battalion/brigade staff officer.

In Ringo's Posleenverse, we've had five years of time to work all this out; so if we inducted for example 1 million Second Lieutenants in 2000, they'd be Captains by 2004; and would have a year of time to learn how to handle a Company before the landings.

The same would occur for other grades in the Army -- e.g. Captains would be Majors or LT Colonels by the time Landing occured.
What did the American draft army accomplish in Vietnam after years and years of slowly building up forces?
The problem in Vietnam was that we were not allowed to fight the war the way the Service Chiefs wanted to -- instead of launching them at the source of the infestation -- North Vietnam, we simply puttered around South Vietnam for nearly a decade -- taking a hill, and then abandoning it to the enemy the next day.
What did the American armed forces of '11' million accomplish against the Germany armed forces in Normandy? Not much after three years of being able to build up forces in a safe continental base as far as my reading goes.
A good reference is Second Front NOW! - 1943 by Walter Scott Dunn, Jr.

Basically, during 1942, the US developed a method to make shake and bake divisions.

1.) A Parent Division was selected for the new division to be raised.

2.) 160 Officers and 1,200 men were selected from the parent division and sent to schools and trained up for their new assignment. A month before the division was activicated, 450 more officers were sent and the cadre assembled.

Two weeks after the division was formally activicated, the division had received enough of it's 13,000~ recruits to begin basic training. Seventeen weeks later, basic training concluded; and three months of training with regiments. This was followed by three months training as a division.

A final two months of combined arms training with aircraft and tanks was conducted, and at the conclusion of this, the division was considered combat-ready.

During most of the training period, the TO&E of a unit was about 50% of allowances; which was enough for training, since you could swap tanks between units or halftracks, etc.

The book then describes the program of the first three mass produced division (77th, 82nd, 90th), and details the 77th's Program.

77th Infantry Division Milestones

Authorization: 25 January 1942

Divisional Commander Named: 10 February 1942

Division Ordered Activated: 14 February 1942

First Cadre Arrival: 18 to 25 February 1942 (59 Officers came from the War Department Pool, and 113 from the First Army)

Commanding General Arrives: 25 February 1942

Parent Divisions Give up Men: 25 February 1942 (8th and 30th Divisions give up 1,400 Enlisted and NCOs)

Second Cadre Arrival: 3 to 5 March 1942 (452 officers from war department pool, mostly reservists who had taken a six week summer camp during college).

First Civilians Drafted: Mid March 1942

First Troop Trains Arrive: 25 March 1942

Division Formally Activated: 25 March 1942

Official Training Program Begins: 7 April 1942

Last Recruits Arrive: 21 April 1942

First Firing of Weapons: Late May 1942

All men have fired individual weapons: June 1942

Men Taken Away For Cadre: July 1942 (provided 200 officers and 1,200 men for the 94th Division).

Men Taken Away for Cadre II: Late Summer 1942 (Small groups sent for cadre of 99th and 100th Divisions)

Men Taken Away for OCS: During the Summer of 1942; 1,000 men went away for OCS school.

Three-day Field Exercises by Infantry Battalions: August 1942

Divisional Artillery Trained: September 1942 (Sent to Fort Sill)

Division begins training as complete force: Mid-November 1942

Division sent to Desert Training Center in California: 28 January 1943

Division Ready for Combat: April 1943

Division Sent for Amphibious Landing Training 29 September 1943

Division sent to Staging Camp for Overseas Movement 14 March 1944

Basically, by that point it had been training for 26 (!) months in preparation for combat.

German 65th Infantry Division Milestones

Cadre Arrives July 1942. (22 Officers, 42 NCOs, and 193 EM)

Divisional Manpower Arrives 7 July to 15 July 1942.

Division Formally Activicated 15 July 1942

Division Forced to give up Cadre 1 August 1942: (15th Army orders them to surrender 6,993 men out of 8,837 privates for cadres in other units)

New Men Arrive to replace Cadre 3,255 new recruits arrive; of which 500 were Poles who spoke little or no German.

Division Forced to Give up Cadre: November 1942/December 1942 (1,000 fit men were forced to be sent to 39th Division in excahnge for 600 men with frostbite.

Division Forced to Give up Cadre: January/February 1943 (800 fit men were forced to be sent to 39th Division in excahnge for 600 men with 3rd degree frostbite.

Division Forced to Give up Cadre: 19 February 1943: (10% of divisional leadership sent to the 17th Luftwaffe Field Division in exchange for Privates.)

Division Forced to Give up Cadre: 20 February 1943: (8% of divisional combat troops sent to 44th Division, which was being reformed after being destroyed in Stalingrad. In exchange for these trained troops, raw recruits were received.)

Division Forced to Give up Cadre: March 1943 (900 out of 5,300 combat-fit men sent to 39th Division)

Division Forced to Give up Cadre: April 1943 (220 fit men sent to 39th Division, and 680 to the 44th Division. Only 100 recruits and 500 noncombat fit men were received from the 44th Division in return.

Division Gives up Useless Men: 6 June 1943 (932 non fit men transferred out to form cadres for Fortress Divisions; and 450 non-fit men transferred to 19th Luftwaffe Field Division; and 866 frostbitten men sent to the 265th, 348th, 711th, and 712th divisions).

Half of Divisional Major Unit Commanders Relieved: June 1943 (and replaced with physically fit men from other division.)

Additionally, while, the US division was training, training some more, and training some more for various combat roles, the German division was busy doing coastal guard duties, such as constructing coastal gun batteries, trenches, anti-landing areas, instead of training for combat.

You can also see how the US division only gets cadres pulled from it at the beginning, the German division is constantly raided for men; forcing the division to have to start over again to train brand new recruits from scratch.

So while for example, the 9th Panzer Division may get the A++ quality personnel to recover after Kursk during the spring of 1944; the 695th Infantry Division gets the D and F grade personnel. In contrast, the average U.S. division gets B- personnel.

Sure; it's lower quality than a crack German division like the Leibstandardte Adolf Hitler, but light years ahead of the average German Division.

The big problem was that the terrain in Normandy favored the defender, you could set up ambuscades and such with a single anti-tank gun that could knock out a platoon of tanks in no time, and then hold up an entire battalion or whatnot for an entire day, because there's no way to manouver around the anti-tank gun, because the way around the gun position is filled by several other hedgerow complexes, each of which has to be reduced individually.
I have only started reading book four now so perhaps i have not gotten to the point where the darheel is blamed for that failure
I believe later in the series, it's revealed that much of the early failure of the U.S. forces and other national armies in the initial posleen invasion, was because of Darheel shapeshifters who infiltrated the militaries/political systems and messed with them, like changing orders to put noted incompetents in charge of major units, messing with transfer orders, etc etc.

Of course, the SS are somehow magically immune to this :rolleyes:
And that has never involved mobilizing even ten or twenty million into the armed forces which is but a small fraction of the 80 -100 million Americans who are ( and where then) in the age group 16-40.
In World War II; the US Population was 132 million; and we did the following:

6.3 million volunteered
17.9 million were examined by the draft boards (of which 6.4 million were rejected)
11.5 million were drafted.

For a total of 17.8~ million called to the colors, or 13% of the US population. Today's U.S. population is about 300~ million, so we could draft about 30 million (10% of the population); without any adverse effects.

Please note i'm lowering the percentage we can draft because our societies require a lot more technical knowhow to keep running than they did in WWII.
Non of the wars you describe can in my opinion be used as example as in non of them was there ever the aim to mobilize tens of million to bear arms inside 4-5 years.
Considering we did mobilize 17.8~ million people to fight in WWII...

But the big problem with the entire thing was the whole rejuv process.

In any army, there is a tendency to "forget" things from the last war -- because the people who fought it and learned the hard lessons are dead or too old to join up.

But if you can take a 85 year old guy who landed at Omaha Beach and give him the body of a 21 year old; he's not going to put up with half the bullshit he sees; and he will suggest ways to fix errors that he knows happens from combat experience. Same thing would happen with the Korean War and Vietnam War vets.

"Son, you're telling me -- someone who landed at Omaha Beach for chrissake -- that I can't use harsh language or motivate the recruits physically? Do you even know what it takes to make people who get out of that murder zone?!?!!"

But somehow only the SS take advantage of this...
We must not have been reading the same books as i distinctly remember two entire corps being slaughtered during the initial landings for following orders as best they could with large formations fighting and dying in place or staging the best fighting retreat they considered possible( that being the most complex situation troops can be faced with).
You forgot the entire parts of units mutinying and Mighty Mite killing soldiers to keep their fellows in line; and of course, the entire assbackwardness of the battle.

If the Posleen can't even interecept ballistic weapons with their lasers -- something which would have been revealed by any halfway competent envoy sent to the Galactics.

Can you imagine the Joint Chiefs of Staff being briefed by the Galactics and being told that they can't access any records of Posleen combat, or that such and such records are classified?

So the result is the Posleen land near a major urban center, rampage through the place for a few days, and then get crushed under Steel Rain from tens of thousands of guns firing kilotons of artillery shells. We could easily recreate the Berlin Barriage which literally caused wind patterns to shift from all the heat generated by tens of thousands of guns firing at once.
Sure and the best trained pilots of world war one using the best planes of world war 1 would still get slaughtered by the best trained pilots and best planes of world war two.
That's something that bugs me. All we get from the Galactics are vague promises of "help", and a few battalions of super advanced power armor suits which have to be created by indowy indivudally willing each molecule in the armor into place?

Why didn't anyone go:

"Hey, you know that super awesome armor that's only (insert impossibly tiny thickness) which can allow a powered infantryman to survive or at least deflect a Posleen weapon? Can you guys not make us the entire suit of armor?

That's just too complicated for mass production.

Why not just make huge slabs of armor that we can then incorporate in our own fighting vehicles?"

indowiwy stare at the General for a moment and then do a collective facepalm
Because the problem is on a scale never before imagined. After four years of war ( start of book three) the US has suffered 45 million military casualties
None of which would have occured in a plausible environment.

If we can convince typical suburbanites to place suicide bombs into their houses so they're not eaten by the Posleen; it's quite easy to produce millions of kiloton scale tactical nukes that can be fired by 120mm guns, and issue them to the tank units; and advance under a hail of mushroom clouds wiping out posleen hordes while their return fire bounces off the super thick galactic armor we ordered to replace the depleted uranium inserts in the original Abrams Armor.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Oh I agree with you, it's just that he never even bothered to put any thought into how either our nations survive in that circumstance. Canadians could retreat to far North/High Arctic as well but how the hell are we supposed to eat?

I realize he likes Canada and hates Russia but this is just plain laziness.
Strictly speaking, he hates anyone other than Anglos.

It's worth noting that, for example, St. Petersburg is on the same Latitude as the Hudson Bay, so presumably there is at least one major Russian City that gets magically exempted by virtue of being "too cold"(like Canada). This isn't counting the historical fact of Russia having more expierience with building gi-normous civil defense shelters than the USA does. Even Librul countries like Sweden and Finland would have similar benefits. China, of course, had the Tibetan Plateau.

But at the end of the day it's the USA, Canada, and some "European Holdouts in the Alps". :wanker:
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

If we can convince typical suburbanites to place suicide bombs into their houses so they're not eaten by the Posleen;
I never got that. Why would you want to wire up every house in the country with bombs? Aside from accidentally killing your own people the military could almost certainly use it more effectively and if the Posleen aren't completely retarded they can figure out to mess with the system.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Samuel wrote:
I never got that. Why would you want to wire up every house in the country with bombs? Aside from accidentally killing your own people the military could almost certainly use it more effectively and if the Posleen aren't completely retarded they can figure out to mess with the system.
See, the Posleen actually are complete fucking retards. It took what, five years for a single God-King to start emulating human tactics and gather a group of vassals together that were smart enough to tap into the humans kit? And he was still regarded as an outcast by his peers.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Lonestar wrote:But at the end of the day it's the USA, Canada, and some "European Holdouts in the Alps". :wanker:
As loathe as I am to defend the Posleenverse - he did apparently heavily retcon the timeline when he put more thought into it. Of course, he has plenty of other craziness now ...
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yeah. I could have sworn that somewhere he retconned that the Russians at least managed to hold out behind the Urals, if not anywhere else. And I could sort of see that- a big enough Posleen landing in European Russia would be damnably hard to stop if they weren't stupid enough to land in winter. A lot of the Posleen in question might freeze to death after the winter came, but that wouldn't be much consolation to the dead.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Simon_Jester wrote:Yeah. I could have sworn that somewhere he retconned that the Russians at least managed to hold out behind the Urals, if not anywhere else. And I could sort of see that- a big enough Posleen landing in European Russia would be damnably hard to stop if they weren't stupid enough to land in winter. A lot of the Posleen in question might freeze to death after the winter came, but that wouldn't be much consolation to the dead.
This is the cause of all the mockery:

http://www.webscription.net/chapters/07 ... .htm?blurb
August 28, 2008
Fifth Wave 64 Globes:
Primary Landings: West Coast North America II, East Coast North America III, Russia,
Central Asia, South Africa, South America III.
September 17, 2008
Last Transmission: Grand African Alliance, Pietermaritzburg.
October 12, 2008
Last Transmission: Red Army, Nizhny Novgorod.
Is the army of the Russian Federation still called the Red Army? Because, like with the rest of the dates it seems thrown together.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Russia is colder than most other nations in the world as well, and colder than northern sea-bordering nations like the European North (Scandinavia). So the climate bullshit just shows how fucking ignorant the authors are about geography in general.

Russia has so many prepared doomsday shelters it would make other nations fucking blush, it was in the fucking construction plans for the most mass-built Soviet homes and in all urban planning from 1945 onwards.

Just what the fuck were they thinking? Right, they weren't. Because Russia is just a place where "here be dragons".
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

In the later books its been retconned to now that there WERE sizeable holdouts in the urals which are gradually, deliberately recapturing russian territory.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Orm
Redshirt

Post by Orm »

It's not really A ret-con.

I thought it was, but I'm re-reading the books. Russia and Europe do OK, just not quite as well as the US.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Stas Bush wrote:Russia is colder than most other nations in the world as well, and colder than northern sea-bordering nations like the European North (Scandinavia). So the climate bullshit just shows how fucking ignorant the authors are about geography in general.

Russia has so many prepared doomsday shelters it would make other nations fucking blush, it was in the fucking construction plans for the most mass-built Soviet homes and in all urban planning from 1945 onwards.

Just what the fuck were they thinking? Right, they weren't. Because Russia is just a place where "here be dragons".
At least they realized they weren't thinking and had second, OK, first thoughts about it. On a scale of author intelligence from 1 to 10, I'd say that rates at least a three or so.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov