Moon (Movie Trailer)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Moon (Movie Trailer)

Post by Zor »

Moon Website

Looks like an interesting peice of sci-fi, as well within shooting distance of reality.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Re: Moon (Movie Trailer)

Post by Anguirus »

Closest place playing this is in the next state. Fuck. Waiting for DVD.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I want to see this film badly, but not enough to make the required day trip. I can wait long enough to watch it on video.

Moon was actually getting quite a lot of critical buzz before and shortly after its debut: first because it only cost about $5 million to make, and second due to its resemblance production-wise to films like 2001 and plot-wise to the more cerebral sci-fi movies of the 70s like Silent Running.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
momochan
Youngling

Post by momochan »

I saw Moon two days ago in the theater and it has stayed with me. When the credits rolled I was like "Now that's why I love science fiction!"
"If you had fought like a man, you would not have had to die like a dog."
-said the swashbuckling Anne Bonney to her pirate lover "Calico" Jack Rackham, as he was awaiting the gallows in a Nassau jail. Only Bonney and one other crew member were left on deck fighting during a sea battle with authorities in which Rackham surrendered.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

After searching the opening dates, I found that it's opening in an Independent theater the next town over. I'll definitely be going to it.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I saw it this evening. It's a really good movie. I thought they really nailed the aesthetics, and the plot developed very nicely. I have to admit I was surprised though; the whole time the robot was talking, I thought it was Maurice LaMarche voicing it, but the credits said it was Kevin Spacey.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Oh, I think I want to see this one.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
born in shadow
Youngling

Post by born in shadow »

I saw this a few days. Quite the good film :D I went in not knowing pretty much anything about the story and really enjoyed the premise. It's not the most complicated story in the world, but it's very well told. I look forward to having it on DVD/Blu-ray.

Also, Gerty is freaking awesome!
Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

It's directed by the son of David Bowie, FYI.
BotM Cybertronian
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I just saw it today, and enjoyed it very much. Sam Rockwell really nailed it, and they did a very good job at not making Gerty a HAL clone. Definately a pleasant surprise as a movie.

And man, Spoiler
When Sam sent that live message home, that was just a gutwrenchingly sad scene.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Why isn't this in the main venues when we get crap like Terminator: Salvation? Is this at the IMAX?
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Having seen it yesterday i found it to be a lovely film, even though i am not all that fond of cloning thematically. Gerty has got me thinking about the Hal/AUTO concept for a face of a ship.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Saw it tonight. Thought it was amazing. Real old school high concept science fiction there. Great stuff. Plus, I'm glad to see an AI that doesn't solve its problems with the Standard "Kill All Humans" solution.

I recommend it to everyone.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I just got back from a second viewing, bringing a second group of friends to see it. Even knowing what was going to happen didn't stop me from admiring the hell out of this movie, and I'm not one to watch a movie twice in the theaters. Repeating myself from my other post, Sam Rockwell really, really nailed it.

I don't know how much longer its going to be playing, but I can't recommend this movie enough to anyone who likes a fantastic Sci-Fi movie.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay