Steampunk or Victorian Science Fiction

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Steampunk or Victorian Science Fiction

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Anybody in here ever play Victorian RPG in a Sci Fi setting like Space 1889 where ,get this<you had a solar powered Steamship that travelled to other planets .Also there was life on Mars and Venus .Gurps Steampunk also counts as does Castle Falkensteen
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Kolinar Romanov
Youngling

Post by Kolinar Romanov »

I daresay ! A fellow steampunk lover ! Yep, I also love steampunk, just as I love all sorts of sci-fi. However, when it comes to Steampunk, I prefer to be a bit more' Victorian.' Steampunk sounds, rather, "caddish", I daresay ! Industrial Tough Bastards sound more gentlemanly !

For me, I like WIlliam Gibson's "The Differenc eEngine." Also, if I can name one of the best STeampunk RPGs, it'd be Arcanum, by Troika. Okay, so it may not be 100% steampunk (it's steamworks and magick's obscura), but, steam technology is a pivotal part of the game.

Besides, I'd like to see a steam powered nuclear reactor. :wink:
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Steampunk.... what a strange genre. The only thing stranger is perhaps all those odd sci-fi/fantasy crossovers whose best-known example probably is Final Fantasy VII.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Well, "steam powered nuclear reactor" is kind of an oxymoron :) It's either steam powered, or nuclear. However, today's nuclear reactors do indeed produce electrical power by means of a steam turbine ;)
Kolinar Romanov
Youngling

Post by Kolinar Romanov »

PeZook wrote:Well, "steam powered nuclear reactor" is kind of an oxymoron :) It's either steam powered, or nuclear. However, today's nuclear reactors do indeed produce electrical power by means of a steam turbine ;)
Actually, I was thinking more on the lines of using a steam engine to cause the nuclear reaction.... Anyway, I just like Steampunk. No, that's wrong: I love it. ANd I love Victorian culture. Maybe I am a Victorian IRL, once in a while, but, it hardly matters, would it ?
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Try a steam powerplant that uses concentrated solr energy to cause the water to boil in a vacume that kind of powerplnt*L* and its used in space
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!