hard sci-fi inspired 40k idea

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Re: hard sci-fi inspired 40k idea

Post by Connor MacLeod »

My precise problems with just assuming that the tau must have built the hunter rigs is the following...

1.) Very little of Spyre Hunter Rig tech I have seen matches up with what we know the Tau have or use, including weapons (especially weapons!) The Yeld suits for eaxmple use lasers, ,the Orrus Rig has bolters (and is basically a kind of Space Marine armor), and the others use poison/claws/monofilament wires and melee weapons (not Tau tech.) This includes visually (Tau tech has a rather distinct appearance) as well as specific capabilities.

2.) While the Tau are known to share tech (they've given pulse weaponry, pulse ammo, or such to their allies or sold them to others, as well as railguns) they typically do not share really really high end stuff as far as I am awarE (computers, power generation systems, etc.) And the Spyrer rigs are, in man yways, very sophisticated high-tech devices, and much of that would confer substantial advantages if it were Tau Tech. And yet, few if any Tau have exhibiited traits similar to Spyre hunter rigs (they aren't just nanotech or tough, they have adaptive/quasi-evolutionary qualities to them as well, and the Yeld suits can literally fly.) Somehow I doubt that they would have shared such devices with anyone (any more than they'd share their Stealth suits, ,Crisis suits, or Broadside suits, or their blacklight tech, or anything like that..)

3.) The use of Hunter Rigs is pretty much an 'open secret' on Necromunda, and the upper levels of the Hive are full of people who would frown very much on "Xeno tech". Hell, I recall that the Rigs are used for security purposes as well as just huhnting (at least Helmwar had them doing that.) Not just inquisitors, but the AdMech, ,the Arbites, and at least one Astarrtes chapter (The Imperial Fists exist on Necromunda.) If they were Tau tech

The context of that quote is also a bit silly. The idea that the spyrer hunter rigs are meant to be surveillancec devices for the Tau is.. silly. How is the information to get to the Tau, since the Tau have never exhibitied any sort of FTL comms or sensor capability? IF they had miniaturized FTL comms/sensors like that, they'd be a tremendous advantage militarily.

I would very much like to ignore this, since its rather obvious its just more tau wank at the Imperium's expense (can't have the Imperium capable of developing its own advanced tech, can we?) but thats probably not possible.

The best compromise IMHO is probably that Spyre Rigs are built using components of Tau tech, but that they aren't wholly Tau tech in and of themselves. And quite likely that it is Inquisitorial propoganda - the passage certainly has a propoganda like feel to it.