BSG 4.5: Sometimes a Great Notion - Place your bets....

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Strider
Youngling

Re: BSG 4.5: Sometimes a Great Notion - Place your bets....

Post by Strider »

In case anyone still cares, spoilers ahoy!

The Colonials and Cylons root around Earth, and discover that, in fact, it was nuked 2000 years ago. Roslin burns her prophecy book and cries. Starbuck looks for the source of the signal, finds that it's her downed raptor, with a corpse with her dog tags in it no less, and (reasonably) concludes she's the last Cylon model. She burns it, and seems set to keep the business a secret.

Dee has a grand old time, babysitting for Athena's kid, going on a date with Apollo, etc. Then she shoots herself in the head. This doesn't do much for the already low spirits in the fleet, though it does get Gaeta's boyfriend promoted. Adama is none too pleased, and gets drunk and goes to scream at Tigh, trying to provoke him into killing him, since he isn't quite worked up enough to kill himself. Tigh, awesome robot pirate that he is, talks him down, and Adama seems to have a new purpose in his heart afterward, and decides to lead the fleet to find a new habitable planet. Starbuck almost tells Apollo that she's a Cylon, but Apollo is broken up enough about Dee that she saves that awkward conversation for another day.

Meanwhile, all the four "Watchtower" Cylons are having visions of the past Earth with them on it, because NEWSFLASH: Earth was apparently universally inhabited by Cylons, according to a bunch of smart scientists. Near the end, Xena declares that she's staying behind, mostly because she's sick of all this shit and scared of number One. XO Robo Pirate half heartedly tries to talk her down, then goes and wanders into the Hudson river to have his mystical vision, in which he sees his wife Ellen, who is revealed to be the twelfth and final Cylon.
Last edited by Strider on 2009-01-16 11:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I can kill demons. I can crash cars. Things are looking up!”
MarshalPurnell
Padawan Learner

Post by MarshalPurnell »

I didn't catch the part about Dee finding a locket.

All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again. Dee saw her own parents in the locket, I think. That's why she blew her brains out. She thought she was a Cylon. And, perhaps, she is. The human race originated on Earth, and all of them found there are Cylons. Somehow, through uploading technology, through genetic databases and mind-state records, or through mysticism, the people who died on Earth were resurrected on Kobol. And then began the cycle all over again. We know from cast photos from the last episode that other characters have similar flashbacks to life on Earth, and there are only a "Final Five" and Adama certainly isn't among them; neither can Starbuck and Ellen both be part of the Final Five. The Five may be connected to the effort that saw the remnants of humanity move to Kobol, and were specifically resurrected for a purpose, perhaps to break the cycle. It seems obvious that Starbuck was cloned or resurrected by someone, and that someone is, I think, still behind all of what has happened and is part of why the Final Five are special.

Or I'm just wild ass guessing.
There is the moral of all human tales;
Tis but the same rehearsal of the past,
First Freedom, and then Glory — when that fails,
Wealth, vice, corruption, — barbarism at last.

-Lord Byron, from 'Childe Harold's Pilgrimage'
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

So...what happened to Leoben? Is he gonna keep his mouth shut about Kara's little find?
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Plot holes:

Radiation does not last that long! After 2,000 years, neither fish nor fowl would know or care that humans once roamed Earth. Just plain dirt adequately filters radiation out of water, so there should be no worries about water or food or anything after 200 years, let alone 2000.

How the fuck did they know that the bones were of cylons? They said that all the bones from 25 different sites were Cylon, so obviously they now have an incredibly easy, fast, accurate means of determining Cylonhood without blood, skin, or anything but ancient bones.

Lee is referred to as Acting President, as I've already mentioned.

Hmm... That's all I can think of for now.
Dark Lord of the Bith
Youngling

Post by Dark Lord of the Bith »

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:Plot holes:
[...]
How the fuck did they know that the bones were of cylons? They said that all the bones from 25 different sites were Cylon, so obviously they now have an incredibly easy, fast, accurate means of determining Cylonhood without blood, skin, or anything but ancient bones.
The Cylons were there, too. They're probably better at identifying Cylon anatomy than the humans are.
Lee is referred to as Acting President, as I've already mentioned.
Roslin turned all apethetic/depressed. She wasn't doing her job, so Apollo picked up the slack?
Urgo: I want to live! I want to experience the universe! I want to eat pie!
Col O'Neill: Who doesn't?
Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Post by Sam Or I »

Good episode, I love how earth was shot. A few twist. I was disappointed about the last cylon personally.

The Earth Cylons have some sort of cloning machine?
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Dark Lord of the Bith wrote: The Cylons were there, too. They're probably better at identifying Cylon anatomy than the humans are.
You know, you'd think Athena would have told them something about this when she was gaining their trust.
Roslin turned all apethetic/depressed. She wasn't doing her job, so Apollo picked up the slack?
I don't think that the office of President can be transferred via the President feeling mopey.
Strider
Youngling

Post by Strider »

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote: I don't think that the office of President can be transferred via the President feeling mopey.
But what if she's extra mopey?
Ohma
Jedi Knight

Post by Ohma »

A very effective ep. though it still raised more fucking questions than it answered which should ideally not be happening at this point in the show. :x

I still stand behind my sentiment from the previous episode discussion thread. If the resolution of nBSGLJ ends up being "lol watch a bunch of people get all depressed and die lolol" (which at this point it could so easily become) then I will seriously want to throw my season 1 dvds out a window...probably wouldn't though 'cause I like season one.
Oh, Mister Darcy! <3
We're ALL Devo!
GALE-Force: Guardians of Space!
"Rarr! Rargharghiss!" -Gorn
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote: You know, you'd think Athena would have told them something about this when she was gaining their trust.
It might take specific technology on the Cylon baseship. While she was on Galactica she would not have access to it which would make it rather pointless.
I KILL YOU!!!
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Skylon wrote:So...what happened to Leoben? Is he gonna keep his mouth shut about Kara's little find?
Thats a good question. His reaction when Kara told him what the Hybrid had said about her looked to be almost horror, and he nearly ran away from her it appeared. I hope they keep things tight, since there are now only 8 normal and the 3 hour final episode to go. We dont need more mysteries at this point, we got enough bloody things to unravell as it is :P
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Burak Gazan wrote:
Skylon wrote:So...what happened to Leoben? Is he gonna keep his mouth shut about Kara's little find?
Thats a good question. His reaction when Kara told him what the Hybrid had said about her looked to be almost horror, and he nearly ran away from her it appeared. I hope they keep things tight, since there are now only 8 normal and the 3 hour final episode to go. We dont need more mysteries at this point, we got enough bloody things to unravell as it is :P
Maybe it was Leoben that Kara was burning? :D
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
McC
Rabid Monkey

Post by McC »

Some speculation on my part, some of which is contradictory.:
  • Ellen is the fifth of the "final five," which rules out Kara being one of the original twelve Cylon skinjob models. However, it does not rule out current Kara being a Cylon. Crispy Kara may have been human and then re-build as a Cylon when she died.
  • If the preceding is true, someone is still around that can not only activate Cylon skinjobs, but that can create new ones with a high degree of accuracy given a human template.
  • Earth blew itself to beans 2,000 years ago. At the end of the episode, the Old Man speculates that the 13th Colonials then took to the stars to find a new home. What if the 1-12 Colonials have it backwards, and Earth was the progenitor planet that led to the creation of the colonies? This doesn't mesh with the idea that there are distinct humans and Cylons, though.
  • Could the Cylons of Earth have become human? That doesn't make a lot of sense.
  • What connection do the similar Centurion designs have with the 1-12 Colonial Cylons? The toasters of the 12 Colonies are not 2,000 years old and unless you handwave some kind of genetic predisposition for design aesthetic, it suggests that the design of the Cylons came from one place and migrated to the other in the intervening 2,000 years.
That's all for now. Great, great episode.
-Ryan McClure-
Scaper - Browncoat - Warsie (semi-movie purist) - Colonial - TNG/DS9-era Trekker - Hero || BOTM - Maniac || Antireligious naturalist
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

I'm keeping an eye on Gaeta, after having watched The Face of The Ememy webisodes...I hope I'm wrong.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

:lol:

Not unless she re-dressed him in a flight suit and helmet, before lighting the pyre ...
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

The locket Dee found on the beach was not the locket she had hanging in her locker - the locket on Earth was gold in color and much larger, while the locket in her locker was small and silver.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:You know, you'd think Athena would have told them something about this when she was gaining their trust.
Sadly, I expect her comment about the Cylons knowing the truth about Kobol and the "gods" will be ignored, though that's probably not what you were talking about.

McC wrote: ...
What connection do the similar Centurion designs have with the 1-12 Colonial Cylons? The toasters of the 12 Colonies are not 2,000 years old and unless you handwave some kind of genetic predisposition for design aesthetic, it suggests that the design of the Cylons came from one place and migrated to the other in the intervening 2,000 years.
Everything is being orchestrated by someone. The Colonials' creation of the Cylons was evidently part of the plan.

So, is this all going to turn out to be a VR simulation à la Matrix?
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Frak me. I can't believe Dee did that. I liked her. This means that the conscience and voice of reason of the fleet is gone. Damn. Out of my three favorite characters, Tyrol is a Cylon, Gaeta got his leg blown off, and Dee blew her brains out.

I like the new, take-charge Lee.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

DrMckay wrote:=This means that the conscience and voice of reason of the fleet is gone.
I'm pretty sure the conscience and the voice of reason in the fleet is Helo.
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

not to Adama
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

I knew if I came here after the show there would be a lot of people saying "WTF!" :)
I was very shocked by Dee. I actually turned my head away from the tv for a sec and soon as I turned back she shot herself.

This is just a thought but is it possible there is our "Earth" still out there full of humans?
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

People were shocked that Dee killed herself? I saw it coming from a mile away...
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Vertigo1
Defender of the Night

Post by Vertigo1 »

JLTucker wrote:
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:And is Lee, like, still the Acting President? How the fuck does that work?
Didn't he surrender his position as acting president back to Roslin?
He did, but since she has gone batshit insane, Lee is still keeping her chair warm.
"I once asked Rebecca to sing Happy Birthday to me during sex. That was funny, especially since I timed my thrusts to sync up with the words. And yes, it was my birthday." - Darth Wong

Leader of the SD.Net Gargoyle Clan | Spacebattles Firstone | Twitter
Strider
Youngling

Post by Strider »

The sad thing is, I was like: "No way is Helo the voice of reason! I mean, he's not a bad chap, but he's never been exactly quick on the uptake either, and he's fumbled a few balls; there must be someone better. Maybe... no wait, now he seems hell-bent on killing off the Cylons; possibly... no, she's been batshit insane since mid-season 2; what about... am I seriously even CONSIDERING Lee for the voice of reason? I'll just stop here."

This crew makes the characters from Buffy look well adjusted, emotionally grounded, and tactically skilled by comparison. That's not exactly easy to do.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Dark Lord of the Bith wrote:Roslin turned all apethetic/depressed. She wasn't doing her job, so Apollo picked up the slack?
Admiral Adama told Apollo directly to "take up the slack". Someone had to talk to the people and clearly Roslin was "indisposed". I would assume "indisposed" would be the excuse Apollo would give as to why he was making the big announcement, and given that Roslin is known to be ill and that travel can be draining the general masses probably accepted that.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice