Just how much are the Eldar fucked?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Re: Just how much are the Eldar fucked?

Post by Zablorg »

Connor MacLeod wrote: Aside from the Tyranids and Orks (anda gain maybe the Necrons, who we still know so little about) the Imperium is so big and nasty that they could probably crush most individual powers in 40K if they could concentrate... which is why you so rarely see them do so. Especially WRT to the Tau. In fact, play balance will invariably dictate gimping the Guard in some manner in most respects (see Taros campaign.) in order to present a fair fight.
This is another major factor that drew me to making this thread. The Imperium constantly treats the xenos in the galaxy as a constant thorn in their side. If they were focusing on keeping their quality of life stable they would have an excuse for not smashing them all to the ground, but their entire stance on life is that all xenos must be purged. A nice, permenant way to do this would be to wipe them all out in one fell swoop, but no.

Dammit, 40k's no fun when I look too much into it.
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

Terralthra wrote:
NecronLord wrote:Belial IV was first introduced in Farseer by William King (a book they wouldn’t let him write the sequels to) as a planet on which the Eldar priests of Asuryan created a sword, linked to vast warp engines (thing Forbidden Planet here), intended to kill Slanessh as it formed.
I wondered why there weren't any sequels to that, since it ends on such an obvious sequel hook. Any theories on why they won't let him write the next one, beyond "it would involve Slaanesh dying"?
I'd settle for the sword giving bonuses in combat, but the fact that the sword exists means that Chaos will focus more on them. The game effect would be better to-hit and damage meaning higher points for the model, meaning less Eldar on the table.

No real status quo change, but it does mean that you can field less Eldar in your army. However, as the sword will require a certain mark on it, that means GW will have to put out a new series of models with the mark on them.

For some reason, the mark looks like the Slaanesh rune, with a red circle and diagonal line over it.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Eh. It’s basically Stormbringer 40K, albeit not actually treacherous (it is, after all, an Eldar construct). It kills even greater demons with the slightest cut, and consumes the subject’s soul. But it doesn’t look that special.

It’d probably work best as a highly expensive Apocalypse strategem or datasheet. Essentially a close combat weapon that slays outright anything living or possessed it hits, regardless of toughness or wounds (or structure points, in the case of tyranid bio titans and possessed titans) in the way a vortex grenade does. Presumably it works as a power sword, though invulnerable armour saves would still work (at least, as of Farseer a demonic warding did, for a time).

And it’s described in the book as a slender ebony sword, with runes on it, and with three crystals on each side. And crackling with lightning, quite simple really. It’s depicted on the cover.

Of course, when it was at full power, it was blindingly radiant, which I’d count as being a permanently active solar pulse.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

Terralthra wrote:
NecronLord wrote:Belial IV was first introduced in Farseer by William King (a book they wouldn’t let him write the sequels to) as a planet on which the Eldar priests of Asuryan created a sword, linked to vast warp engines (thing Forbidden Planet here), intended to kill Slanessh as it formed.
I wondered why there weren't any sequels to that, since it ends on such an obvious sequel hook. Any theories on why they won't let him write the next one, beyond "it would involve Slaanesh dying"?
Even if they'd let him, he's not going to do it. GW are too cheap to pay him a decent rate, apparently.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

I would have to say that the Eldar are slowly dying, but they keep trying to make themselves appear stronger, just so that the Necrons and other foes don't decide to pay more attention to them.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Night Stalker: On this board we have rules against what we call 'thread necromancy' which is posting in threads without significant new content, that have been idle for more than about two months. Before you post in an old thread look at the time the last post was made.

Also, please read the rules in the Announcements forum.

Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth