Doctor Who SE30E06: The Doctor's Daughter [Spoilers]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Episode rating

17%
25%
17%
23%
19%

Total votes: 53

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Doctor Who SE30E06: The Doctor's Daughter [Spoilers]

Post by Bounty »

Starting now.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

It's already out?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Zixinus wrote:It's already out?
Come again? The episode is playing now, so I thought I'd start the thread.

I'm liking the setting. Endless war on an alien world.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Alas, poor Hath, we hardly knew ye.

All I want out of this episode is that they not kill Jenny. She's being set up for a Meaningful Death and that'd be a damn shame.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Bounty wrote:Alas, poor Hath, we hardly knew ye.

All I want out of this episode is that they not kill Jenny. She's being set up for a Meaningful Death and that'd be a damn shame.
Well they did both. Killed and brought back, so she might reappear later.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Ok, who didn't see the regeneration ending coming?

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

This episode had so much potential. There's a bloody season's worth of material in the doctor finding a daughter getting to know her and losing her again. And yet they did it all in a single episode. Stupid.

Martha's presence was the most pointless thing ever.

And for a moment with the gun death similarities and the way she behaved when she woke up, I though she was the bloody master for a second. That would have been awesome.

Oh and what happened to "The Anger of the Time Lord was Terrible." He'll give people who vex him slightly neverending torment, but someone who kills his daughter[/i[ and he maes a song and dance out of being merciful?

I would have though finding a new Time Lord and losing her would break him. This Doctor needs be a lot more emo about the war to be convincing.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Lost Soal wrote:Well they did both. Killed and brought back, so she might reappear later.
How dreadfully predictable. Still, I really like the character, so here's hoping she won't be gone for long.

What a weird twist that was, by the way. A one-week war? The idea sort of makes sense, but at the same time, why didn't they just teach the clones how to read?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Surprisingly, the 'survive getting shot without regenerating' has been done before; in the film, McCoy's Doctor seemed quite adamant that getting riddled with bullets wasn't a problem for him, so long as the human surgeons left him alone, and it seems to imply that he could even have survived without regenerating; presumably this is what would have happened. Of course, the Doctor not knowing about that is a bit iffy - one assumes this took unusually long.

And yes, I would rather the Doctor shot him. Still kids programming.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Oh and what happened to "The Anger of the Time Lord was Terrible." He'll give people who vex him slightly neverending torment, but someone who kills his daughter[/i[ and he maes a song and dance out of being merciful?
I'm kinda seeing the point with that one, since it meant setting an example for the rest of the colonists. They were borderline retards, after all.

But you still have a good point. He had a good cry over Mme de Pompadour, but losing Jenny didn't seem to do anything at all.
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

I quite liked the episode, actually. A lot of previews were saying it was going to be terrible, but I found it quite fun. I only hope they have actual plans to use Jenny again, rather than just leaving it open on a half-chance.
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Incidentally, I'd much rather they take her with them - if only because it would be interesting to get a glimse of what exactly he'd teach her. I suppose they might be considering it, but want to get an idea of audience response first...
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

She's probably hoping for her dad to write her back in, which could be a lot of fun.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

Lost Soal wrote:She's probably hoping for her dad to write her back in, which could be a lot of fun.
Um? Her dad is ex-doctor Peter Davidson.

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

I thought it was Stephen Moffet. That's her last name.

Ivanova is always right.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Lord Woodlouse wrote:
Lost Soal wrote:She's probably hoping for her dad to write her back in, which could be a lot of fun.
Um? Her dad is ex-doctor Peter Davidson.
... So the whole episode, is just one big injoke?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Crazedwraith wrote:... So the whole episode, is just one big injoke?
Not really. According to the commentry, they picked her as an actress, and then plunked her in an appropriate episode... that just happens to be an in joke.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Lost Soal wrote:I thought it was Stephen Moffet. That's her last name.
Not a relation to the writer, I believe. Her dad is the fifth doctor and her mother is, IIRC, Trillian from H2G2.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

NecronLord wrote: And yes, I would rather the Doctor shot him. Still kids programming.
Ditto ... a kneecapping at least so the guy with bad teeth had a lifetime of remembering you do not fuck over a Time Lord

And seven days .... that was stretching it a bit too far ..... seven years or even months would have been a bit more plausible
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

Lost Soal wrote:I thought it was Stephen Moffet. That's her last name.
IIRC one is Moffet and the other is Moffat. Not related.

Teebs
Jedi Master

Post by Teebs »

The whole episode just seemed lazy to me. Done too quickly, no real impact in anything that happened and a distinct lack of wrathful doctor.
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

I have a feeling that this is part of the foreshadowing for the finale.

There was a reference to 'the children of time' in those episode summaries / interviews posted in the initial S4/30 thread. She doesn't have the tardis, so her consequences will carry forward in the timeline for the Doctor to run into later. Maybe it'll give them an excuse to reboot the daleks as well - reestablish a time lord esque civilisation and then they can finally stop having to kill all but the last dalek because they've written them as too powerful. Who knows, maybe the disappearing homeworlds might even be something to do with it - maybe they're being sacrificed so that Gallifrey can be restored or something like that.

I honestly don't know how I felt about this episode - I have to say I was completely ambivalent to it with no massive investment in any of the characters, it wasn't particularly offensive - although Freema Aygeman just can't act - the death of the Hath had me cringing. Her only purpose in this was to provide a human face for the other side, really. This season so far still feels cliched to hell though.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Since when did regeneration come without change? I mean, she didn't change AT ALL. I don't get it. I thought that if you couldn't control it - and there's no way on Earth she could - you got something random, like the Doctor does.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:Since when did regeneration come without change? I mean, she didn't change AT ALL. I don't get it. I thought that if you couldn't control it
There's certainly technology to do so. The Time Lords offered to allow Pat Troughton's Doctor to select the face of his replacement. The Master was able to choose to be 'young, and strong' recently too - not a garunteed effect of the process; I'd not say Pat Troughton (while he was hale enough) was particularly young when he took the role, nor Pertwee.

Most importantly, Romana was able to literally parade up and down in bodies she was 'trying on' before settling on being Lalla Ward. One fan theory/non-canon novel theory had it that this was a trait of female Gallifreyans.

Of course, there's a distinct possibility that that's not a regeneration, just a recovery; the Eigth Doctor seemed to imply that it was the doctors in the hospital trying to cut bullets out of him, rather than the criminals who gunned him down in an ally, that killed his predecessor.
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Of course, there's a distinct possibility that that's not a regeneration, just a recovery; the Eigth Doctor seemed to imply that it was the doctors in the hospital trying to cut bullets out of him, rather than the criminals who gunned him down in an ally, that killed his predecessor.
That would make some sense, though there's the issue of the Doctor expecting her to regenerate rather than recover. I'm not sure how well that fits with the Time Lords being able to to recover from bullet-wounds given time unless he's being dim in a time of stress and I'd expect him to be quite good at dealing with those given his lifestyle.

The special effects would go with that, though. The two regenerations we see in the new series are much flashier than what we saw with Jenny.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:That would make some sense, though there's the issue of the Doctor expecting her to regenerate rather than recover.
There is presumably some luck in there. Just like how humans have survived being shot in the head, even when it's usually lethal.

It's not like he really knows everything about her biology, either. It's not like that godawful book with the looms that recombine Time Lord DNA to make new Time Lords is canon... :)