nBSG 403 "The Ties that Bind"

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Rating

49%
31%
11%
3%
6%

Total votes: 70

CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

nBSG 403 "The Ties that Bind"

Post by CaptJodan »

Watched it on scifi.com early since they have it on a loop every hour. Spoilers in small text so that no one is spoiled prior to official airtime.

Spanky ain't gonna like this one. But at least, Spanky, you don't have to worry about hating Tigh.

The Cylon Civil War has started. Awesome. That story continues to be interesting. I'm guessing the left-over Sharon will try and bring back Diana at some point when she realizes what shit they're getting themselves into.

Starbuck continues to be a crazy bitch. I want you gone....no I want to fuck your brains out. It's interesting to see how many of the flight crew went with her. I'm not looking forward to that wandering plotline thus far. The Insane Ramblings of Starbuck. :roll:

Lee's new position is one of great interest as well.

Now, I'm just running out of fraking ideas as to who the final Cylon is. I've got to stop making predictions, that's for sure (It's Richard Hatch!). I'm expecting the Chief to feel a little guilt going into the next few weeks, though I'm sure Tori won't tell him he did it.

Overall, a compelling episode. Starbuck brought the episode down a tad... so if there was a 4.5 I would vote that. As it is, it stands as a solid 4 for me. Goodness all around with only a few minor bumps in the road.
It's Jodan, not Jordan. If you can't quote it right, I will mock you.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: nBSG 403 "The Ties that Bind"

Post by Lonestar »

CaptJodan wrote:Watched it on scifi.com early since they have it on a loop every hour. Spoilers in small text so that no one is spoiled prior to official airtime.

Spanky ain't gonna like this one. But at least, Spanky, you don't have to worry about hating Tigh.

The Cylon Civil War has started. Awesome. That story continues to be interesting. I'm guessing the left-over Sharon will try and bring back Diana at some point when she realizes what shit they're getting themselves into.

Starbuck continues to be a crazy bitch. I want you gone....no I want to fuck your brains out. It's interesting to see how many of the flight crew went with her. I'm not looking forward to that wandering plotline thus far. The Insane Ramblings of Starbuck. :roll:

Lee's new position is one of great interest as well.

Now, I'm just running out of fraking ideas as to who the final Cylon is. I've got to stop making predictions, that's for sure (It's Richard Hatch!). I'm expecting the Chief to feel a little guilt going into the next few weeks, though I'm sure Tori won't tell him he did it.

Overall, a compelling episode. Starbuck brought the episode down a tad... so if there was a 4.5 I would vote that. As it is, it stands as a solid 4 for me. Goodness all around with only a few minor bumps in the road.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Well, that was a stupid message. Anywho, thinks don't look good for Cally and Tyrol.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
General Soontir Fel
Padawan Learner

Post by General Soontir Fel »

Oh, great. THE MISUNDERSTANDING (TM) plot device. I hope there's some Baltar later on...
Jesse Helms died on the 4th of July and the nation celebrated with fireworks, BBQs and a day off for everyone. -- Ed Brayton, Dispatches from the Culture Wars

"And a force-sensitive mandalorian female Bountyhunter, who is also the granddaughter of Darth Vader is as cool as it can get. Almost absolute zero." -- FTeik
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Yeah, that whole "Granting the Centurions" self-awareness is totally going to bite them in the ass.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Was I the only one who found the cleaning Centurion amusing?
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

Lonestar wrote:Yeah, that whole "Granting the Centurions" self-awareness is totally going to bite them in the ass.
Yep, like I said last week, history is set up to repeat itself.
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

You gotta love the 1701D reference. Second time he's used that reference. Yes, we get it, you worked in Star Trek.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Well, that was the most crushingly depressing episode yet.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

In some ways I'm glad to see Cally go (I was sick of her), but I am surprised that it was Torry that airlocked her. I knew Tigh wasn't going to, but I had expected her to space herself.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

What the frak just happened? Jesus Christ that was messed up.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
xammer99
Padawan Learner

Post by xammer99 »

That episode was... AWESOME.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Cally :(
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

Skylon wrote:Was I the only one who found the cleaning Centurion amusing?
He looked a little pissed in that last shot. Being granted intelligence and then using that intelligence to clean bulkheads must do terrible things to a toaster's self confidence.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

HOLY FRAK THEY KILLED CALLY! :shock:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

I was actually sad to see Cally go myself, though I felt that the potential she had as a good character in the beginning had wained a great deal by the end of last season. So it's with mixed feelings on that front, though I think the way it was handled was pretty depressing, all things considered.
acesand8s
Padawan Learner

Post by acesand8s »

Damn...what a way to go. And Tori, man, she's become a total cold-hearted bitch.

Hope that wasn't the end of the Cylon civil war. That was the best arc since New Caprica. At the very least there had better be some fallout from the intelligent Centurion stuff. They were just frakking creepy that it'd be a shame to simply let it go.
"Typical Canadian wimpiness. That's why you have the snowball and we have the H-bomb." Grandpa Simpson
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Damn Tori. Damn that fucking bitch to Hell.

I give it a five.

Seems like they're shaping Tori up to be the villain of the Four.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Don't worry, once Billy comes back he can take over as the President's aide. :)

Though he isn't as hot as Tori.

Seriously, I would pee in her butt.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Well, now it's obvious they have superhuman strength like the other models...
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Never having been in the Cally haters group, I really was sad to see her go. It was obvious where the episode was going to end, still it stung pretty bad.

Still, I'm gonna drink to the kinda-cute deck-hand who bit the ear off a dude who tried to rape her, and after she was shot by the same guy she mouthed off "Frak you!" to him (back in season 1).

The deck-gang crew we started with has really whittled down.

The Cylon conflict has really escalated. Good for the Colonials. Bad for the Toasters. But we, the viewers, win methinks. :D
-A.L.

KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

I gave this one a 5 because after it was over, I felt like I was kicked in the gut. I was kind of hoping Cally, and the Chief would have been the "happily ever after" couple of the show.
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

Maybe it's the bit of rum I had clogging my mind, but I didn't think that Cally was going to be spaced this episode. I was sure, right up to the point that Tori took a swing at her, that she was walking out of there and would be dealt with later.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

From a visual standpoint, the scene in Tyrol and Cally's quarters after she found out was absolutely perfect for the mood. The focus on Cally, with a light around her that was almost a halo, while in the background Tyrol was fuzzy and unfocused. The distant, static-y sound of his voice, compared to Cally's answers also drew us into her mental state of mind, where it was all unreal -- He was unreal, what he was saying was unimportant. The continued use of the moon&stars nightlight, throwing the light and shadows over the scene ... and then the stars reflected faintly in her cold, dead eyes at the end.

Sheer brilliance, the whole scene.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

interesting....

watching it now.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin