The origin of stagnation in the 40K universe

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Zablorg wrote:So gods can have an influence outside the warp without any chaos rituals?
On some people or places, where warp corruption is strong, or psychic prescence is active. It appeared to shoot their wad to blow up Caliban, but that's within their capabilities certainly.
It might simply be that the place where they got the first Mechanicus from were religious nuts, and thus their predecessors were. I can't remember if the Emperor was very much involved in its creation, but I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that he would preferred such important people to be religious nuts.
The Mechanicus were supposedly inspired by the Void Dragon; there's a bit in the Heresy Artbook where one of them mentions the now heretical and persecuted old faith that the Machine God lies slumbering beneath them, and that they are occasionally blessed by visions from his silver dreams.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

Falkenhayn wrote:
Uraniun235 wrote:Well of course this would occur just in time for a new Tyranid swarm, or an all-out Chaos campaign, or a massive Ork waaagh... ensuring, of course, that the ever-precious status quo is maintained in the 40K galaxy. 8)
You're talking about the good old days of 40k. Back before GW told us that the IoM is pretty much a sockpuppet for the Necrons or Hive Fleet Leviathan is going to do to the milky way what the Soviet Union did to Finland.
I think we'te about to see a whole new level of stagnation in the setting (from an out of character perspective); The current date is now 40,999 AD, so any more timeline advancement and they'll need to rename the game.

After all, the setting for the current Battle for Macragge box set is the First Tyrannic War, in 40,745. Third edition was the Third Battle for Armageddon, 40,999 (I think), 2nd edition was the Second Battle for Armageddon, 40,941 and Rogue Trader was the Ork invasion of Rynn's World, 40,989.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

GW won't really try to avoid detailing any events that occur in the year 41,000 or later, will they? That seems silly.

I mean, the name "40,000" is already just a sort of round-up to the closest thousand (even 40,999 != 40,000), so even events taking place in 40,300 would still be fine.
As far as my sane mind is concerned, anyway.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Somehow I think that there are a number of things that would probably still be working if kept up by someone with half a brain...

that Toyota pick up, that AK47, and maybe beurocracy,

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin