Star Trek is DOOMed

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Star Trek is DOOMed

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

While being upgraded at the Utopia Planitia yards at Mars, the U.S.S. Enterprise-E receives a distress signal from the facility below. The message is garbled, but Data is able to unscramble it enough to make out the following words:

"Transporter... creatures... overrun... all dead... they've taken the hanger... radiation... help--"

Picard orders the message sent to Starfleet Command, which promptly orders him to beam down to retrieve the interplanetary transporter technology that had been in development at the facility.

The Enterprise scans the planet's surface and detects a massive amount of radiation - enough to block all transporters - eminating from deep within the facility. They also detect bizarre lifeforms pouring into the planet from the source of the radiation.

You know the rest. Is the Federaiton fucked? Keep in mind that the demons invaded Earth in the second game, and will probably attempt to open a portal to Earth here, too. For the purposes of this scenario, regard only the first two games and their expansions.
Diocletian had the right idea.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Assuming for the moment we're working with canon TNG Starfleet which will NOT photorp the site into oblivion and thus end the problem at the start how, exactly, are the demons going to get off Mars since as per your scenario they CAN'T beam up to the Big E?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

Batman wrote:Assuming for the moment we're working with canon TNG Starfleet which will NOT photorp the site into oblivion and thus end the problem at the start how, exactly, are the demons going to get off Mars since as per your scenario they CAN'T beam up to the Big E?
Teleporters. That's what they did in the second Doom. They've also canonically used spaceships before, though I'm unsure as to how well a craft made of "steel, stone, flesh, bone and corruption" would work against a Starfleet ship.

Also - they can't photorp the site into oblivion. They're under orders to retrieve the transporter technology and can't beam it up due to the radiations.[/url]
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

That's great, but once they work out what's happening (ie 'zomg teh interplataries going to Earth lol') they'll blow it up to save Earth. Cut off from hell I'm not sure how awesome the demons will be: their basic troops are pretty piss-poor.

I don't recall where the zombies came from in the old Dooms. Was it like in DOOM3 where everyone pretty much magically turned into zombies, or was it dead guys that came back from the dead, or what?
ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

Stark wrote:I don't recall where the zombies came from in the old Dooms. Was it like in DOOM3 where everyone pretty much magically turned into zombies, or was it dead guys that came back from the dead, or what?
As far as I can remember from the old Doom novels, it was the former.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

ArcturusMengsk wrote:
Batman wrote:Assuming for the moment we're working with canon TNG Starfleet which will NOT photorp the site into oblivion and thus end the problem at the start how, exactly, are the demons going to get off Mars since as per your scenario they CAN'T beam up to the Big E?
Teleporters. That's what they did in the second Doom.
The range of those teleporters was, and they worked through shields as established where?
They've also canonically used spaceships before, though I'm unsure as to how well a craft made of "steel, stone, flesh, bone and corruption" would work against a Starfleet ship.
Especially as you have yet to show evidence that they would be able to build said ships to begin with on Trek Mars.
Also - they can't photorp the site into oblivion. They're under orders to retrieve the transporter technology and can't beam it up due to the radiations.
I already SAID they won't, hotshot. Initially. But eventually even the UFP is either going to a)manage to retrieve the transporter technology or b)realize they can't and blow the site to Kingdom Come.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

Batman wrote: The range of those teleporters was, and they worked through shields as established where?
Long enough to transport between Mars and Earth. And Star Trek Earth, so far as I am aware, lacks a planetary shield of any sort.
Especially as you have yet to show evidence that they would be able to build said ships to begin with on Trek Mars.
They didn't build the ship on Mars. They built it in Hell.

And it doesn't matter if they destroy the site, since that didn't stop the demons after the first game. It seems that, once contact is established, they can enter this dimension whenever they want through the use of Gatekeepers.[/url]
ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

Actually, I just realized - they did work through shields. At least, they worked through Doom shields, which might be based on different properties than Federation shields. The storyline behind Doom II is that the nameless marine has to deactivate a force field enclosing the last human-held starport on Earth so that the survivors can escape, and the demons teleport through the force field. Not much to go on, but it indicates that they can teleport through certain forcefields and that it's not blocked by all ECM.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Wait, that was the story to Doom 2? Who knew? I honestly don't remember anything about human starports or forcefields in the game, just linear shooting badguys stuff. You learn something new every day. :)
ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

Stark wrote:Wait, that was the story to Doom 2? Who knew? I honestly don't remember anything about human starports or forcefields in the game, just linear shooting badguys stuff. You learn something new every day. :)
Here you are. It's certainly minimalistic, but hey, mindless fun is always lacking in plot thickness. :)[/url]
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

Wait, can I assume that a Cyberdemon comes in?

Also, what DOOM are we using? Since the Cyberdemon was practically invulnerable to anything besides the Soul Cube. (I know its a game mechanic but, hey, the in-universe explanation was that the only the Soul Cube could kill it)

I guess it would depend on wether(sp?) you could actually destroy the Hell Gates with conventional weaponry.

Oh about the shield thing, I think it was the demons specifically who put up those shields.

You guys didnt know there was a story? When I played it on Xbox it would show you a screen that explained the story every few levels...
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Well if we are only going by the games... couldn't they just send Data in with a shotgun and let him fight his way through the maze to unlock all the doors, with Captain Picard watching from the view screen through Data's optical receptors. :wink:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

havokeff wrote:Well if we are only going by the games... couldn't they just send Data in with a shotgun and let him fight his way through the maze to unlock all the doors, with Captain Picard watching from the view screen through Data's optical receptors. :wink:
Well, by games, Data would die horribly.

This is a job for nameless space marine :D
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

You want to back that up? Data is stronger, faster and more durable than Doom guy, since he's just a regular human. At very least Data's ammo limits would be higher. :lol:
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

Stark wrote:You want to back that up? Data is stronger, faster and more durable than Doom guy, since he's just a regular human. At very least Data's ammo limits would be higher. :lol:
But DOOM guy is DOOM guy.

Besides, Data beating DOOM guy? No... no.

ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

We're using the original Doom and its sequels, Doom II and Final Doom. Doom III is a reboot of the canon.

This might help. From the Final Doom manual:

"Though all the top management of the UAC were dead, and so were most of their personnel down to the janitors, the corporation survived, now under strict government supervision. The UAC still sought the secret to matter apportation, and continued its experiments under vastly increased safety measures.
The UAC's base was set up on one of the moons of Jupiter, hoping that the increased distance would enhance Earth's safety if something went wrong. Marines were sationed at the base, ready for anything.

The Invasion
Soon after the UAC opened its first Gate, the minions of Hell made their attack. Suddenly, through the Gate flowed spiked, fanged, dripping techno-terrors. Meat machines flailed their armored limbs and slavered with bloodlust, seeking soft bleeding manflesh to rend. But in their seeking they found only death. The United States Space Marine Corps was prepared for such an event, and they poured molten death into the hordes of Hell. More demons massed, hoping to overwhelm the defenders by their endless numbers. But mass alone was no match for the marines. Set up in defensive positions around the gate, the marines were able to slaughter the monsters by the hundreds, taking few losses.
As suddenly as it had begun, the invasion ended. The last flaming skull screamed through, was hit by twenty simultaneous shotgun blasts, and the chamber was silent once more, except for the dripping of blood. Hell had failed.
The research went on, more boldly and less cautiously. All the marines received the Silver Star from a grateful government, and the UAC made an enormous contribution to the Veteran's Fund. The defensive positions were strengthened, and the marines watched closely for another attempt, all their attention drawn inward towards the Gates. They were looking in the wrong direction.

The Rain of Monsters
Hell knew more than one trick. Months after the Gate incident, the yearly supply ship came ahead of time. On radar, the ship looked far larger than usual. And it was coming from the wrong direction. Strange, but not inexplicable. The lax radar operators reported the ship's approach, and personnel went out to the landing field to meet it. But it never landed. Instead, it hovered over the base, miles in the air. The men and women looked up at it, and saw that something was terribly wrong.
The ship could not have come from Earth. It was huge, kilometers long, and was built of bone, steel, flesh, corruption, and death. It was a bio-mechanical-magical construct from the depths of Hell and it had come through spave for its vengeance. Enormou doors, large as football fields, irised open and hideous demons poured out, plunging to the ground and blanketing the entire base with their throbbing, pulsing bodies. They were everywhere at once. The marines' defenses, set up to prevent an attack from the direction of the Gate, were worthless. The monsters poured through the sewers, the air vents, the hallways, everywhere, rampaging, corrupting, and feasting.
Once more, the surviving humans were left as zombified brain-dead monstrosities, existing only to kill and kill and kill."

And from the manual for the second scenario, The Plutonia Experiment:

"After Hell's catastrophic invasion of Earth, the United States took steps to prevent such an invasion from recurring. The old UAC corporation was refounded, under completely new management (since the old trustees and stockholders were all dead, this wasn't much of a problem), and send to research tools and technologies to prevent such an incursion from happening ever again.
Though the invasion had been stopped, and the remaining demons were gradually being exterminated by mopping-up squads, it was clear that the powers of Hell remained strong. While the Spider Mastermind and Baphomet seemed to no longer threaten, who knew what else lay Outside? Waiting. Watching. Preparing.
The new UAC began working on quantum accelerator devices, intended to close interdimensional gates at a distance and so prevent future incursions forever. The project began innocently enough. Naturally the scientists, in order to learn how to close Gates, had to relearn Gate technology first. This ability was rapidly regained. Perhaps too rapidly.

The Terror
Soon, beings from Outside had their dire attention drawn to the new experiments, and then, one day, a Gate opened in the heart of the research complex. Unnatural horrors from the pit poured in, ravening for destruction. But the UAC scientists had learned their trade. The Quantum Accelerator Device performed perfectly in its maiden test -- the invastion Gate was closed instantly and permanently when the Accelerator flicked on. A cyberdemon, halfway through, was snipped in two when the gate closed. Earth would not be safe from literal invasion by Hell. At least, once the technology could be set up around the globe.
The next day, a ring of seven Gates opened, throughout the base, and a monstrous legion rampaged through. The Quantum Accelerator began putting out the Gates at once, and within an hour, six were closed. But the hellish army was now too strong, too numerous. The marines fought like mad dogs, but were finally pulled down by the enemies' claws. The scientists, marines, and bureaucrats were all slain or transformed into undead mankillers."

As a further example of the abilities of the demons, it's mentioned later in the manual that "(y)ou know that within an hour or two, an entire division of marines will arrive to assault the base with full artillery and air support. You also know that they will be too late. Far too late. The airplanes will be plucked from the sky by floating terrors, the cannons melted by diabolic rockets and fireballs, the soldiers blasted to shreds as they charge into the armored shell of the UAC buildings." So, at least if DOOMguy is to be believed, the demons are capable of defeating a ~21st century marine division with complete support.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Darth Ruinus wrote:But DOOM guy is DOOM guy.

Besides, Data beating DOOM guy? No... no.
Do you want to back any of this up? His being a space marine doesn't mean shit: the space marines were wiped out like wheat in a thresher every single game. He's just a guy who finds lots of armour and healthpacks.

Data is faster, stronger and more durable than humans. He's arguably a significantly better shot. Frankly, anything Doom guy can do, Data can do better. Except perhaps bleed everywhere.

Can Data see in the dark? I know he can take a chestload of rifle fire without blinking. I wonder if the rad-muck would hurt him? Concievably getting many of the special items would be easy for him, since he doesn't have some of the human vulnerabilities.

AM, wasn't Final Doom made by random mod groups? It was much harder and a significant thematic break with Doom 1 & 2: the source material might be more consistent if you ignore it. And I doubt anyone is going to accept wild speculation of demon capabilities when we've seen the most powerful demons in hell and they can be killed by one guy with mouselook. 8)
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

Well then since the Federation has no army, and those Gates can open up anywhere, the are probably going to lose lots of people, maybe just to sheer numbers. I wonder if the Demons could get phaser tech and such?

ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

Stark wrote:AM, wasn't Final Doom made by random mod groups? It was much harder and a significant thematic break with Doom 1 & 2: the source material might be more consistent if you ignore it. And I doubt anyone is going to accept wild speculation of demon capabilities when we've seen the most powerful demons in hell and they can be killed by one guy with mouselook. 8)
It was developed by independent mods, yes, but coordinated by Id Software, It stands as an 'official' release.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Oh so you're just going to ignore that part where you were full of shit? How quaint. :roll:

Did the demons ever seem interested in technology beyond 'zomg bolt on teh gunz'? I mean, did the cyberdemon have a rocket launcher in hell, or did he nick one from Mars somewhere? It'd be pretty funny if instead of chainguns the zombie guys had phasers etc.
ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

Stark wrote:Oh so you're just going to ignore that part where you were full of shit? How quaint. :roll:

Did the demons ever seem interested in technology beyond 'zomg bolt on teh gunz'? I mean, did the cyberdemon have a rocket launcher in hell, or did he nick one from Mars somewhere? It'd be pretty funny if instead of chainguns the zombie guys had phasers etc.
Which is another point I wanted to make: demonic infection must increase the physical strength of the victim several times over. I recall something to the effect of miniguns weighing over thirty pounds empty, and the recoil from firing one as being enough to knock an average individual down (hence Schwarzenegger being the only one strong enough to lift the minigun on the set of Terminator 2, for instance). DOOMguy must be considerably more powerful than an average human, as well as the zombies.
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

Stark wrote:Oh so you're just going to ignore that part where you were full of shit? How quaint. :roll:

It was a joke, it failed miserable I know.

About the tech thing. Uh, you got me there, however, I doubt that the UAC or the marines in DOOM have spider machine parts just laying around. Some of those spider mind babies had machanical legs, and a energy weapon of some sort.

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

ArcturusMengsk wrote:Which is another point I wanted to make: demonic infection must increase the physical strength of the victim several times over. I recall something to the effect of miniguns weighing over thirty pounds empty, and the recoil from firing one as being enough to knock an average individual down (hence Schwarzenegger being the only one strong enough to lift the minigun on the set of Terminator 2, for instance). DOOMguy must be considerably more powerful than an average human, as well as the zombies.
Yeah, and real people can't carry 9 guns and piles of sizable rockets. Indeed, the volume for those rockets is far bigger than the Doom guy. This is called 'game mechanics'.

If you're going to accept game mechanics as canon, I counter by pointing out that the chaingun fires pistol rounds at lower velocity than a pistol. It is 100% NOT a real minigun at all. However, if you're going to slavishly adhere to game mechanics (like zomg the guy can take a rocket ergo he is superman) I'm out of this discussion. Don't you have novels that are more accurate? Please don't tell me the novels have him getting blasted down to 1% health and just picking up some boxes and getting shot with more rockets? :D

Game mechanics = sensible takes this from the realm of standard scifi vs to the land of stupid bullshit, and I'll just get cranky.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

GHETTO - sigh, the size of *all* those rockets, not just one.

Ruinius, that's what I was asking. Many of the Doom badguys have cybernetics, and I'm curious if hell has cybernetics by itself, or if the demons came out 'tradiational' and then cybered themselves up.
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

Stark wrote:GHETTO - sigh, the size of *all* those rockets, not just one.

Ruinius, that's what I was asking. Many of the Doom badguys have cybernetics, and I'm curious if hell has cybernetics by itself, or if the demons came out 'tradiational' and then cybered themselves up.
Well, since ArcturusMengsk says "We're using the original Doom and its sequels, Doom II and Final Doom" I'm not so sure, I can answer definately. I dont really see any rational for the Cyberdemon to cut off one of its legs (or was it both?) and replace it with mechanical ones, nor do I see the spiderminds being normally able to move without the mechanical attachments. Besides, even in the Hell levels (oops, no game mechanics, I mean in Hell) the demons are present with the mechanical parts.

If this was DOOM 3 I think I could say with much more certainty that the demons come out of hell with mechanical parts, since the Cyberdemon is right next to the Hellgate, and I doubt that the UAC brought along that much machinery for it to suddenly graft onto itself.
Please don't tell me the novels have him getting blasted down to 1% health and just picking up some boxes and getting shot with more rockets?
Nope, but he does pick up a soul sphere and gets rejuvenated instantly.