40K misc numbers and analysis thread

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Re: 40K misc numbers and analysis thread

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Oh and for shits and giggles, and a real blast from the past, that doesnt include the possibility of storm trooper deployment. Some suorces have definitely indicated they have their own troop transportts (IE Kill Team) and that doesnt include Inquisitorial assets there (which coudl also deploy in a crisis). I'd guess these forces probably rank in scale with the Sororitas and Arbites in terms of scale.

hell, I've heard of the guard having ships technically (probably seconded from the Navy to specific formations, eg Gaunt having a frigate for his own purposes.) that probably isn't included there but I dont think such formations would be that significant.
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

The Macharius had space for 10-13,000 Guardsmen+Stores and Equipment, IIRC, and she was a Dictator.

I'm still trying to figure out how ship many times the volume of an ISD requires something like 15,000 crew, but only has space for 10-13k troops and their gear? It must carry ammunition and provisions for a small world war, which jives with Imperium SOP and what we know about the durability of the ships themselves.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

Are you also including the Dictator's air wing in that count? It's a carrier after all, and those Navy bombers are big.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
al103
Youngling

Post by al103 »

Falkenhayn wrote: I'm still trying to figure out how ship many times the volume of an ISD requires something like 15,000 crew, but only has space for 10-13k troops and their gear? It must carry ammunition and provisions for a small world war, which jives with Imperium SOP and what we know about the durability of the ships themselves.
Bad ship planning. I think it can take as much as 100k onboard - but they wouldn't be in any way combat ready and coherent regiments, because of that labyrinth of a ship can and will maintenance of coherent structure almost impossible - with one unit in one side of ship, other in other side of ship, etc... + Imperium ships have crappy life support (if not because of tech degradation, then because of bad maintenance - or more likely both) and i wouldn't be surprised that it can't take more then 30k men on board because of that.
Proud Nanoha/Yuuno/Fate, Caro/Elio/Lutecia, Alto/Sheril/Ranka and Honor/Hamish/Emily shipper. Last one even canon.

PS. Also support canon Nanoha/job, Honor/job and semicanon Rein/Agito.
PPS. In process of considering reborn Sankt Kaizer/reborn GEoM.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Falkenhayn wrote:The Macharius had space for 10-13,000 Guardsmen+Stores and Equipment, IIRC, and she was a Dictator.

I'm still trying to figure out how ship many times the volume of an ISD requires something like 15,000 crew, but only has space for 10-13k troops and their gear? It must carry ammunition and provisions for a small world war, which jives with Imperium SOP and what we know about the durability of the ships themselves.
Ships are highly variable in their internal volume makeups, beyond certain obvious traits (engines, for example) This comes about frfom differences of who builds the design, rebuilts and refitting (Such as sh ips recovered from a Space Hulk or captured from heretics/rebels) and so on and so forth. Some ships might have internal factories/foundries/etc (for long range operation) while others might just have abandoned or outdated areas too. It's hard to say. It's also possible that the "crew" numbers simply don't always include the use of servitors or perhaps even machine spirits to supplement the crews (Again "not all ships are the same" and some may be more sophisticated than others.) Its also quite simply possible that the lowest levels of the crews aren't included in lists because they aren't considered "people" - this IS the Imperium after all...