favorite Space Pirate

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

favorite Space Pirate

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

ok, it's a staple of Sci-Fi, anachroistic as it is.

ok who is your favorite/best space pirates?

Harlok?, Orions?, Eldar?, that guy who was fragging you on EVE/You on EVE?, etc.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Re: favorite Space Pirate

Post by Azazal »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:ok, it's a staple of Sci-Fi, anachroistic as it is.

ok who is your favorite/best space pirates?

Harlok?, Orions?, Eldar?, that guy who was fragging you on EVE/You on EVE?, etc.
Cheesy as hell, but I'm going with Ice Pirates. The camp and cheepness is just so over the top I can't help but love that movie. That, and I though it was so cool when saw it in the theater, hey I was 8 at the time.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

The Space Pirates themselves, obviously. I butchered enough of them to form a special sort of bond.
The Yosemite Bear

which makes me wonder what would happen if Samus Arron were to accept a bounty on Harlok or against the Dark Eldar?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:which makes me wonder what would happen if Samus Arron were to accept a bounty on Harlok or against the Dark Eldar?
Dead Harlock
Dead Dark Eldar

It's Samus, fer cripes' sake :mrgreen:
The Yosemite Bear

1. 40k and deadly for dog's sake.

2. harlock's got a longer reputation as a bad ass.

TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

I second Captain Harlock and recommend Queen Esmereldas from Galaxy Express 999. She may be from others or her own series, but that movie made her and obscure favorite of mine.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The guy from Futurama.

"Too late I realise my children are my only real treasure. Arr."
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

Harlock. The first Space Pirate I ever saw, and he STILL kicks ass after 28 years. Heck, just last month I bought a diecast Arcadia model off Hobbylink Japan, I love Harlock and his series that much.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
R.A. Heinlein.
Mobius
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobius »

It's not even a contest: Harlock FTW
XET360 belgian news for Xbox 360
frogcurry
Padawan Learner

Post by frogcurry »

The ones from the crisp packets.

Although it may be that they only sell that brand of crisp in the UK. And I haven't seen it on the shelves in shops for a long time now.
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

TheMuffinKing wrote:I second Captain Harlock and recommend Queen Esmereldas from Galaxy Express 999. She may be from others or her own series, but that movie made her and obscure favorite of mine.
I believe they are both from the same universe.
The Cooler King
Padawan Learner

Post by The Cooler King »

Azazal wrote:Cheesy as hell, but I'm going with Ice Pirates. The camp and cheepness is just so over the top I can't help but love that movie. That, and I though it was so cool when saw it in the theater, hey I was 8 at the time.

God, I loved that movie when I was a kid.

"Why did you paint him black?"

"Because I wanted him to be perfect."
I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice.

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

I've always been fond of the crew of the Nirvana, from Vandread. Still, they could have done with slightly less T&A; sometimes, too much is too much.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

um yeah anyone who has followed my posting for the past few months knows I have become a severe Harlock fanboy so of course he has my vote for best ever
which makes me wonder what would happen if Samus Arron were to accept a bounty on Harlok or against the Dark Eldar?
Have we seen much of Samus in the way of an actual bounty hunter? It seems to me that all of her games have her acting in more of a "one man army/commando" fashion than in any actual capacity as bounty hunter. I could see an actual bounty hunter accomplishing it eventually (although they're going to burn a lot of fuel trailing Arcadia and waiting for it to set down somewhere, then approach by foot and hope to catch him) but I don't know that we've seen enough of Samus' abilities to show her as being able to do any more than blast shit up but good.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Mobius
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobius »

lance wrote:
TheMuffinKing wrote:I second Captain Harlock and recommend Queen Esmereldas from Galaxy Express 999. She may be from others or her own series, but that movie made her and obscure favorite of mine.
I believe they are both from the same universe.
yeah Harlock, Emeraldas, Galaxy Express, Cosmowarrior Zero, hell even gun frontier and Queen Millenia are supposed to be set in the same universe...
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

!!? Did they show Harlock in the US or something? I thought it was horribly niche, not widespread awesome. Being colonial = fail at Harlock.
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

Ah, Harlock. Now I know who the Captain is a parody of in Project A-Ko.
Mobius
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobius »

Stark wrote:!!? Did they show Harlock in the US or something? I thought it was horribly niche, not widespread awesome. Being colonial = fail at Harlock.
Well here, Harlock (or Albator as he is called in french) is pretty mainstream
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Oh. I'd never even HEARD of it (in any incarnation) until U235 mentioned it some time ago. And then to see a thread full of Harlock hobbyists! :shock:
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Stark wrote:!!? Did they show Harlock in the US or something? I thought it was horribly niche, not widespread awesome. Being colonial = fail at Harlock.
The 1978 Space Pirate Captain Harlock series, from what I can tell, seemed to get shown just about everywhere but the English-speaking world... although, given the quality of the dubbing it might have received (as can be seen on Youtube), that might have been for the best.

The movie Arcadia of My Youth has been available on video here for quite some time, which is how one of my friends got into Harlock and led me into it.

I currently am slowly working my way through the 1978 series with the help of completely legitimate and professionally subtitled videos, which I managed to acquire with the help of a magic genie who granted me any wish I desired.
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Mobius
Jedi Knight

Post by Mobius »

heck, Harlock arrived in France (and Belgium) before i was even born (1978 i think). But on the other haw we didn't had broadcast of Space Battleship Yamato
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Talon Karrde. He jus has that air about him in the books where he is written well. The air of a immensly powerful and wealthy pirate who no ones wants to mess with because he knows all. I haven't seen the show Harlock is from so I can not comment.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Lord Relvenous wrote:Talon Karrde. He jus has that air about him in the books where he is written well. The air of a immensly powerful and wealthy pirate who no ones wants to mess with because he knows all.
Man, now that I think about it, Timothy Zahn had a real hard-on going for his "knowledge is power" theme in those books, didn't he?
What is Project Zohar?
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo... What?! :D
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers