I-War questions

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

montypython
Jedi Master

I-War questions

Post by montypython »

I'm collecting information for an I-War story, but it's been a while since I've played it and can't run it on my current PC, so I was wondering if anyone knows all the characters shown in the original game, including the admirals who give the briefings et al.
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

I can give you some scans after work tomorrow...

DILLIGAF: Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck

Kill your God!
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Commonwealth

President King "This is a WAR"
Admiral Brett
Admiral Hanson
Jefferson Clay "Clear the bridge"
(orginal crew of CNV-301 not named)
Nemo (player) "Does this mean you won't help us?"

Indies
Quartermaster MacDuff "...and he had a sudden change of heart!"

I forget the names of the crews for the CNV-301 and the Spartacus, but those are the major players, all things considered.

By the by, you should be able to play it in software mode even on a modern computer, and there are several glide wrappers that allow you to see it in full 3d glory. Over on the I-War forums at Atari there is a guide that shows you how to set up everything, and you can always ask for help there.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

That would be a very dangerous move, Captain Mishima... *Corvette drops into view, sighting a PBC through the bridge viewport*

I love that scene. :)
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

The CNV-301's bridge crew was:

Blaine DuBois - Weapons
Elena Haas - Navigation
<don't remember first name> Byrne - Engineering
And player himself as the captain.

Spartacus's bridge crew was:

Edison Hayes - Captain
Kelvin Lutano - Weapons
Sergei Markov - Navigation
Mary-Beth 'Belle' Dawson - Engineering (jesus christ this woman had an annoying voice)
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
Darwin
Jedi Master

Re: I-War questions

Post by Darwin »

montypython wrote:I'm collecting information for an I-War story, but it's been a while since I've played it and can't run it on my current PC, so I was wondering if anyone knows all the characters shown in the original game, including the admirals who give the briefings et al.
2 words:

glide

wrapper.

and I-War STILL looks gorgeous.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Thanks for the help, it'll be a while before I can reinstall I-war for a variety of factors at the moment, but it's definitely one of the few high-quality space games out there in both plot and gameplay.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Has anyone ever found the original game's intro? I never got the original game, sadly, but I did see the intro on an EDGE magazine CD in '98 or so, and I loved it, though have never seen it since.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

I have it. It's a simple bink on the disk. PM me.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

That intro was awesome. It's just a shame that you don't play the game that way: remote-activated missiles and central command instead of constantly changing stations would have ruled the kasbah of ruling.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Stark wrote:That intro was awesome. It's just a shame that you don't play the game that way: remote-activated missiles and central command instead of constantly changing stations would have ruled the kasbah of ruling.
*shrug* I don't remember changing stations that often... I usually hung out in the helm when shit wasn't blowing up, and hung out in the WEPS console when shit was blowing up. I don't recall the Engineering station even being useful for anything beyond a detailed look at what just broke on your ship.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Engineering was useful for micromanaging repairs and for supercharging your ship with the antimatter injectors when the going got rough.
The Realm of Confusion
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Uraniun235 wrote:*shrug* I don't remember changing stations that often... I usually hung out in the helm when shit wasn't blowing up, and hung out in the WEPS console when shit was blowing up. I don't recall the Engineering station even being useful for anything beyond a detailed look at what just broke on your ship.
I remember the stations you weren't using being either inactive or incompetent. If you weren't shooting, your shooting sucked and you couldn't control targetting. If you were shooting, your driving sucked. But I wasn't very good at it and didn't get very far. :)
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Stark wrote:
Uraniun235 wrote:*shrug* I don't remember changing stations that often... I usually hung out in the helm when shit wasn't blowing up, and hung out in the WEPS console when shit was blowing up. I don't recall the Engineering station even being useful for anything beyond a detailed look at what just broke on your ship.
I remember the stations you weren't using being either inactive or incompetent. If you weren't shooting, your shooting sucked and you couldn't control targetting. If you were shooting, your driving sucked. But I wasn't very good at it and didn't get very far. :)
Well, from personal experience, my first runthrough of the game was entirely from the Command Console, only rarely using the others as needed. However, you could easily spend the entire game in WEPS without too many problems. The biggest limitation was that you couldn't use the full 360 arcs of fire unless you were at WEPs, but if you wanted to rapid fire, you only used the front 20 degrees or so, so...*shrugs*

Nav was almost worthless, save for a handful of commands.

There are only two times you don't have control over both guns and flight control, at Engineering and when piloting something via Remote control.
The Realm of Confusion
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

At least in EoC: I-War 2 they had the new NSO Laplace module with better automation. You could run an entire patcom from that one cockpit with automated aids and a skeleton crew to look after engineering and fire control.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I put both my guns facing forward, personally. Rear fire was unecessary- if you're not firing into his unshielded tailpipe (only practical with forward weapons) you're not playing properly.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

It was so much easier fighting unshielded or single LDA equipped opponents. You at least knew how they're play things, usually too your advantage if you had dual LDA emitters. Couple of missiles to the tail is a good way to take anything out though.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Vympel wrote:I put both my guns facing forward, personally. Rear fire was unecessary- if you're not firing into his unshielded tailpipe (only practical with forward weapons) you're not playing properly.
It's only an option in the defiance campaign. Through most of the primary game, you need to learn to use your 360 field of fire to your advantage when you get swarmed by faster, weaker things.

Well, not need, but it help a lot.
The Realm of Confusion
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Hotfoot wrote:It's only an option in the defiance campaign. Through most of the primary game, you need to learn to use your 360 field of fire to your advantage when you get swarmed by faster, weaker things.

Well, not need, but it help a lot.
Hmm, don't remember. I must've conflated the two. Still didn't use the rear facing gun terribly often.

I loved the last mission. God, I gotta play it again. What's a Glide wrapper?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Nyrath
Padawan Learner

Post by Nyrath »

Vympel wrote:What's a Glide wrapper?
http://www.smiff.clara.net/utilities/wrappers/index.htm
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

I've heard that the UK version of the manual has more complete info, but does anyone have a copy of that?