Aidian Ford or Ronan Dex? [SG Atlantis]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Aidian Ford or Ronan Dex? [SG Atlantis]

Post by Crazedwraith »

Seeing as Mr Dex, the walking badman cliche, has been around for over a year now, longer than Ford has now, anyway, I thought it appropriate to ask our SGA fans, who they prefer as a character? If the whole half season enzyme Arc improved Ford as a character more than if they hadn't made the change.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

I thought Ford was a good character, But I guess he's the kind of guy it's impossible to write for. There's no bad history, no angst and nothing except that he's young and fun and can kick some arse.

Ronon on the other hand is an archetype who you could write for with your eyes closed.

I prefer Ford for the above reasons, but Ronon has a lot more that he can offer the show in terms of story lines.... I just wish the actor could.. well.. act.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Zac Naloen wrote:I thought Ford was a good character, But I guess he's the kind of guy it's impossible to write for. There's no bad history, no angst and nothing except that he's young and fun and can kick.
That's true. Which is why the Enzyme thing worked. It introduces angst and mistrust. In fact if they'd just stuck with that instead of making him run away irrationally.

You could have a Bates/Teyla style thing going on. With the new staff being scared of Ford. But the old staff sticking up for him 'cos they remember the old him. But Ford's becoming increasing erratic. You could have an episode similar to McKay in "The Hive" where Ford's forced to inject himself with a shitload of stuff.

There's easily a season's worth of addiction subplot there that was wasted on Dex.
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Crazedwraith wrote: You could have a Bates/Teyla style thing going on. With the new staff being scared of Ford. But the old staff sticking up for him 'cos they remember the old him. But Ford's becoming increasing erratic. You could have an episode similar to McKay in "The Hive" where Ford's forced to inject himself with a shitload of stuff.
They need to throw Teyla a bone. Talk about becoming a boring character. Ford had potential which was wasted. This is a big part of why hippie-child took a reduced role in the show. I hope they don't drop the Ford subplot. It would be great if they got him back and had to rehab. Love Ronon, but he's a bit shallow. Of course that's mostly okay for a character like that.