Which SF, and fantasy, world would you like to live in?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

kinnison
Padawan Learner

Which SF, and fantasy, world would you like to live in?

Post by kinnison »

I was going to add "and why" but the forum won't let me. :oops:

Please assume that you're nobody special wherever you are.

Me? SF - Edenist habitat in the Night's Dawn universe - hey, doesn't everyone want to live for ever? Also, the idea of living in those conditions appeals.

Fantasy? A bit tougher. But I'd probably go for Faerun - maybe in Waterdeep.
HSRTG
Jedi Knight

Post by HSRTG »

I'm gonna go with the Culture hear. A free society like no other, virtual reality, genetic and physiological enhancements for everyone. Yeah, life is good there. Nobody special works for me.
Kill one man, you're a murderer. Kill a million, a king. Kill them all, a god. - Anonymous
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Nobody special in the Culture is a fuckload better than grand poobah of just about everywhere else.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Sci Fi: Culture. Nothing else comes close.

Fantasy: Maybe Lord of the Rings. Idyllic medieval setting without cholera, filth or ignorance? Nice. I'd probably live near the Shire just so I don't have to put up with world-shaking Lords of Evil.

Actually, Faerun would be nice in one of the very high-magic places - Deep Imaskar, or the country I forget that starts with H. Or the Eberron universe. Very kooky.
Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Post by Prozac the Robert »

For fantasy, it would have to be a world where no innate power is required to learn magic, and where magic isn't addictive, soul destroying or otherwise bad. One of the d&d variants perhaps. Being a wizard would be cool.
Hi! I'm Prozac the Robert!

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."
Sikon
Jedi Knight

Post by Sikon »

Sci-fi:

Perhaps Star Trek. Sure, one starts out as nobody special, but the opportunity for what one could accomplish over a period of decades is great. The true potential of their technology is unrealized...

Fantasy:

Perhaps Harry Potter. That is for the same reasons as above, plus the bonus of still having access to the real world. That is assuming one being in a fantasy world with magic means one having the special ability even if only some people have it. If that is not so, then the clear choice is a world where anyone can learn magic with study, possibly Faerûn, as others suggested.
[/url]
[/url]Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one cannot live in the cradle forever.

― Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Prozac the Robert wrote:For fantasy, it would have to be a world where no innate power is required to learn magic, and where magic isn't addictive, soul destroying or otherwise bad. One of the d&d variants perhaps. Being a wizard would be cool.
There's always Amestris from Fullmetal Alchemist; its implied that anyone can learn alchemy, even if some are naturally better at it. That aside, its a fairly good place to live, assuming you arrive there after Pride has been "deposed". Its peaceful, with a good environment, and all the amenities of the 1920's, plus refridgeration, cybernetic prosthetics, advanced firearms, and 1940's era vehicles, excepting planes.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Other than the Culture, sci-fi wise, I'm not sure. the Homeworld Universe has some damned pretty buildings and there's every chance you can get your hands on a ship of some kind, but there is the problem of seemingly constant conflicts.

Fantasy, I'm going to have to say Arcadia. As long as I don't start sleep-walking.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Sci-Fi: Culture, followed by Star Wars
Fantasy: The Forgotten Realms. Especially if we were to get a real world skills translation into equal fantasy stuff :)
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Re: Which SF, and fantasy, world would you like to live in?

Post by Stofsk »

kinnison wrote:Me? SF - Edenist habitat in the Night's Dawn universe - hey, doesn't everyone want to live for ever? Also, the idea of living in those conditions appeals.
Agreed.
Gustav32Vasa
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Re: Which SF, and fantasy, world would you like to live in?

Post by Gustav32Vasa »

kinnison wrote:Me? SF - Edenist habitat in the Night's Dawn universe - hey, doesn't everyone want to live for ever? Also, the idea of living in those conditions appeals.
Only if you can escape the Beyond, but as you're an Edenist you probably can.
"Ha ha! Yes, Mark Evans is back, suckers, and he's the key to everything! He's the Half Blood Prince, he's Harry's Great-Aunt, he's the Heir of Gryffindor, he lives up the Pillar of Storgé and he owns the Mystic Kettle of Nackledirk!" - J.K. Rowling
"Senator, when you took your oath of office, you placed your hand on
the Bible and swore to uphold the Constitution. You did not place your
hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible."
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

I dont know why, but i always wanted to join the Imperial Guard in 40k.

So...as long as i'm under a competent commander, like Gaunt, yeah i'll take that. Frankly as much as they try to make the Guard sound terrifying, under a good commander we've seen it's not any worse than any other army, comparitively.

Or, Star Wars, where i can have my own starship and trip around the galaxy. I wouldnt be stupid enough to fuck, directly anyway, with the Empire but i'd probably be able to make some money running guns for the Rebels or something. And i could feel good about that too, since the Empire is like a terrifying combination of the pre-Civil War South and Nazi Germany.
Kanye West Saves.

Azure Owl
Redshirt

Post by Azure Owl »

Sci-Fi: The planet Terminus, at any point between Salvor Hardin's defeat of Anacreon and the rise too power of the Indburs.

Fantasy: I'd go with Harry Potter as well. Only that I'd take a long vacation in New Zealand until You-Know-Who has been dealt with.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:under a good commander we've seen it's not any worse than any other army, comparitively.
Save that it's effectively a modern army with some nifty widgets, up against necrons, tyranids, chaos and Eldar... Oh, and it has an internal code of justice similar to that of the Napoleonic English, but with more flaying.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote: Fantasy: Maybe Lord of the Rings. Idyllic medieval setting without cholera, filth or ignorance? Nice. I'd probably live near the Shire just so I don't have to put up with world-shaking Lords of Evil.
It's implied that human life is just as shitty in Middle-Earth than it is in any other pre-industrial society, whether it be fantasy or factual. JRR Tolkien often bleated on about how Elves, Dwarfs and even Hobbits were more longer living creatures than the lowely humans.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

NecronLord wrote:
18-Till-I-Die wrote:under a good commander we've seen it's not any worse than any other army, comparitively.
Save that it's effectively a modern army with some nifty widgets, up against necrons, tyranids, chaos and Eldar... Oh, and it has an internal code of justice similar to that of the Napoleonic English, but with more flaying.
Wel, like i said, under a good commander those arent big problems. I mean a commander in the vein of Gaunt. He's just, hes not unnecessesarily harsh, and he leads competently. So under the conditions of a rational, competent commander (this cant be too hard to find, Gaunt's old mentor from the Hyrkan 8th seemed good for instance, some of the other commanders from the Ghosts novels too) it's no worse than any other army, IMO.

On the other hand i would say "No fucking way!" to that if you said i had to be under some retard like that ex-general from Traitor General, the one who got wtfpwned by Gaunt in Necropolis. My choice depends on a good--i.e competent--commander, mind you.
Kanye West Saves.

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Sci-Fi: Post-One Year War Universal Century Gundam, so I can fulfill my dream of living on an Island-3 space colony.

Fantasy: I don't really indulge in a lot of fantasy, so the best I could think of was Third Age Middle-earth or Gaea from Escaflowne, since they seem like nice places.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

Sci-fi: Another vote for the Culture. It's not perfect, really, but it's better than anything else and not far from it.

Fantasy: Like Spanky, I don't much care for much fantasy, so my plethora of choices is limited. Of the few I've read/watched, I'd shamefully agree with the Potter-verse from above, simply because it has modern technology that I understand, plus the extra benefit of a bit of magic.
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

The Culture. If only so I can become a chick on demand like most people put on a pair of shoes.
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

CaptJodan wrote:Like Spanky, I don't much care for much fantasy,
Just to clarify, I do like fantasy quite a lot as a genre, but I just haven't read or watched very many specific properties.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
speaker-to-trolls
Jedi Master

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

At the risk of being boring, the Culture wins for sci-fi, it is literally paradise, afterall. The only real risk is boredom and social exclusion, but that certainly beats most of the other options. Being a Federation citizen could be fun, too, provided I don't end up dying for the noble cause of showing cpt Picard that yes, the life forms on this planet are hostile.

For fantasy I would say the Discworld. The grinding poverty doesn't seem as bad as the real middle ages, and it's a constantly developing world with new opportunities appearing all the time. Plus my complete ineptitude with language will apparently not be a problem because I can remember two instances of people speaking something other than Morporkian in the whole series (the Deep Dwarves and the Krullians).
18-till-I-Die wrote: Wel, like i said, under a good commander those arent big problems. I mean a commander in the vein of Gaunt. He's just, hes not unnecessesarily harsh, and he leads competently. So under the conditions of a rational, competent commander (this cant be too hard to find, Gaunt's old mentor from the Hyrkan 8th seemed good for instance, some of the other commanders from the Ghosts novels too) it's no worse than any other army, IMO.
Most other armies don't have you executed for failing to salute the flag, if a Guardsman fails to salute the Aquila or any other image of the Emperor or the Imperium that is exactly what they get. There's also a particularly nasty punishment which involves having all ones appendages cut off and being allowed to bleed to death, but I can't remember what it's for.
Post Number 1066 achieved Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:19 pm(board time, 8:19GMT)
Batman: What do these guys want anyway?
Superman: Take over the world... Or rob banks, I'm not sure.
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote: Just to clarify, I do like fantasy quite a lot as a genre, but I just haven't read or watched very many specific properties.
Oh, good. That's a relief. I was starting to agree with you too much for a while there.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Meh, oddly enough, it's a tie for sci-fi for Star Trek and Star Wars. If I lived in the Federation, I'd find an outbound flight to Risa and stay a lifetime. Star Wars gives you the oppertunity to see as much of a galaxy as you possibly can in the years you have.

Fantasy? Can't really think of too many since most are even more war torn than sci-fi.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
darthbob88
Jedi Knight

Post by darthbob88 »

Lord Woodlouse wrote:The Culture. If only so I can become a chick on demand like most people put on a pair of shoes.
Unfortunately, it takes about a year to change sex. On t'other hand, I remember some modifications specifically for improving sexual congress, in both length and enjoyment. :shock: Sign me up!

Fantasy: I'm slightly more ignorant of this, but Middle-Earth seems like a nice place to live.
This message approved by the sages Anon and Ibid.
Any views expressed herein are my own unless otherwise noted, and very likely wrong.
I shave with Occam's Razor.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

For sci-fi, i will go with the culture for the reasons posted below.

As for fantasy, i would choose discworld as it has a good deal of things that various fantasy universe don't have.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor