Three Galactic Empires

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Which Empire would you add modern earth to?

The Trantorian Galactic Empire
65%
Palpatine's First Galactic Empire
22%
The Galactic Empire (Goldenbaum Dynasty)
13%

Total votes: 23

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Three Galactic Empires

Post by Zor »

Of these three Galactic Empires which one would you rather have modern Earth be integrated into?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Three Galactic Empires

Post by Crazedwraith »

How about you provide some actual information about them? The third one is especially obscure.
Welf
Padawan Learner

Post by Welf »

The Galactic empire of the Goldenbaum dynasty is from the anime Legend of the Galactic Heroes. There is no dub available for the US as far as I know, but you can see a fan sub here. It's pretty good, but 110 episodes will take a bit to catch up. I just did recently.

Seems pretty easy choice of the Asimov's Trantor empire? As far as I remember they don't do genocide or any ethnic cleansing, so seems most okayish.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Plus we'd get revered as the lost homeworld of legend by Trantor, so there's that.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Trantor seems like an easy choice.

Palpatine's Empire is horrible.

The Galactic Empire, Goldenbaum Dynasty, is imperialist space germany. Not as horrible, but still. Maybe someone more familiar could make arguments for it, one way or another.

Trantor Empire... well, the big problem is it'll eventually fall, but for most of it's lifespan it's prosperous and a good place to live.
Last edited by Q99 on 2015-10-25 09:07am, edited 1 time in total.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Crazedwraith wrote:Plus we'd get revered as the lost homeworld of legend by Trantor, so there's that.
No, we'd get ignored because the pettifogging scholar-caste that passes for 'scientists' and 'historians' in the latter days of the Trantorian Empire would not believe we were the homeworld of humanity, even with fossil evidence to prove it. They are basically... all of the stupid.

[Seldon must have had a hard time picking the people he sent out to found the Foundation... or he would probably have sent more of them. Probably.]

However, Palpatine's empire is brutal and oppressive on par with fascism. This is a fascism that murders planets as a punitive measure.

The Goldenbaum Dynasty is also oppressive, enacts vicious, murderous eugenics measures. Most of its worlds are pastoral serfdoms ruled by an aristocracy that ranges from feckless and corrupt down to bloodyminded.

There's a REASON the Free Planets Alliance exists... and a reason that the FPA, despite originally consisting entirely of less than two hundred thousand rebels and defectors from Goldenbaum's Empire, grew to a population and industrial power comparable to the Empire. Neither of those two facts says anything good about living conditions in the Empire.

By contrast, the Trantorian Empire generally refrained from major brutality so far as I know, and lacked the resources to engage in effective brutality anyway in its declining days.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Simon_Jester wrote:[
The Goldenbaum Dynasty is also oppressive, enacts vicious, murderous eugenics measures. Most of its worlds are pastoral serfdoms ruled by an aristocracy that ranges from feckless and corrupt down to bloodyminded.
Ok, that's pretty bad :)
By contrast, the Trantorian Empire generally refrained from major brutality so far as I know, and lacked the resources to engage in effective brutality anyway in its declining days.
Heck, it says a lot that once it fell, the Foundation's purpose was to, basically, make a new one. Split up and independent wasn't considered better, while the other two had big rebellions.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

The Trantorian Empire was far from perfect, but at least it wasn't overtly evil like Palpatine's Empire. And the Goldenbaum Dynasty doesn't sound very appealing to me.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Well if you can CHOOSE....
By the end of the series, The Goldenbaum Dynasty had been deeply changed...

Most of the "Nobles" who were largely responsible for much of the corruption and more Draconian policies, had been either killed or kicked out of power by Goldenbaum.

The source of much of the conflict and vicious measures of the older Empire were due in large part to the war which had FINALLY ended once and for all.

Goldenbaum had "freed" a large amount of the Serfs, and stated that those worlds of the FPA would remain "free" despite now being a part of his Empire.

The terrorist group (ironically known as 'Terrarists) had been utterly destroyed (they had been responsible for the assassination of several "good guys" and much trout;le)

Basically, by the end of series you get the impression that those factors that started the war, (corruption, incompetent leaders, war for the sake of war) had largely been done away with.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

A state that has had to abolish Serfdom and issue promises to factions it has conquered that it won't institute it doesn't really compare to Trantor in its culture.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

A question. In the old SW cannon how well off could you become if you went full collaborator with the Empire, maybe joined the intelligence service as a volunteer or something?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Purple wrote:A question. In the old SW cannon how well off could you become if you went full collaborator with the Empire, maybe joined the intelligence service as a volunteer or something?
Are we actually collaborators with either side or are we just people seeking a living? I mean seriously...anybody willing to take a guess at the ratio of people that had a clearance to people that didn't for the GALAXY?
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Gaidin wrote:
Purple wrote:A question. In the old SW cannon how well off could you become if you went full collaborator with the Empire, maybe joined the intelligence service as a volunteer or something?
Are we actually collaborators with either side or are we just people seeking a living? I mean seriously...anybody willing to take a guess at the ratio of people that had a clearance to people that didn't for the GALAXY?
Actually collaborating. As in say the Galactic Empire conquers your planet and you immediately enlist in their intelligence service or something and become a model loyalist. I am basically trying to ascertain how someone who embraces the new regime with open arms would fare. I imagine the old EU has to have had at least one example.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Purple wrote: Actually collaborating. As in say the Galactic Empire conquers your planet and you immediately enlist in their intelligence service or something and become a model loyalist. I am basically trying to ascertain how someone who embraces the new regime with open arms would fare. I imagine the old EU has to have had at least one example.
I uhh...good luck. We're mostly humans on the record as against the Empire. If you think you can get a clearance I think you have some stars to wish upon. I'll find a job as an engineer somewhere. Make a pretty good living. Actually won't be that bad, even on Coruscant.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Palpatine's empire, all the way. Because that means 'I' get a chance to be the one who blows up the Death Star.

Other than that, definitely Trantor.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

You might rise far enough in rank that you risk Vader noticing any of your failures.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Well if you can CHOOSE....

By the end of the series, The Goldenbaum Dynasty had been deeply changed...
By the end of the series the Goldenbaum dynasty had ceased to exist; von Musel had seized control of the state in his own name and founded his own dynasty.
No better off than you would be in service to the Goldenbaums or to Trantor.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Simon_Jester wrote:No better off than you would be in service to the Goldenbaums or to Trantor.
At what speed though? I might get ahead faster and better in an empire that's racist against everyone else than I would in an egalitarian one. And being an adult white male I fit ideally into the choice demographic of their, well everyone.

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Purple wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:No better off than you would be in service to the Goldenbaums or to Trantor.
At what speed though? I might get ahead faster and better in an empire that's racist against everyone else than I would in an egalitarian one. And being an adult white male I fit ideally into the choice demographic of their, well everyone.
You're also a commoner. That's a low bar to clear in Trantor, from what we know, compared to the Galactic Empire, which has heavily entrenched discrimination against people not from the Core Worlds, and obviously compared to the Goldenbaums, who are pants-on-head neofeudalists.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

NecronLord wrote:
Purple wrote:
You're also a commoner. That's a low bar to clear in Trantor, from what we know, compared to the Galactic Empire, which has heavily entrenched discrimination against people not from the Core Worlds, and obviously compared to the Goldenbaums, who are pants-on-head neofeudalists.
The difference being that, and I might be wrong here Trantor would be more of a meritocracy. And there is no way anyone from earth is going to compete there. We simply do not have the education, knowledge or anything. If you pluck a guy from the stone age and put him in the most egalitarian society ever he still won't be able to succeed. The GA on the other hand offers, or at least should offer a way of advancement where only dedication is required.

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

And then you fail to catch the Millennium falcon or something, and you get excecuted. In canon (Movies, Rebels) Star Wars, a large percentage of Imperial officers and even a planetary minister, have been killed by their superiors, usually without any disloyalty on their part. If you're suggesting you're not going to be competent in the 1st Galactic Empire, then Commandant Aresko is an example of what tends to happen to you.

Also, wasn't it said in Foundation somewhere that the Galactic Empire expanded by enticing planets into membership, rather than y'know, conquest? So they're least likely to integrate earth into their society by bombing it from orbit.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Also, Asimov wrote an essay on personal teaching machines, does anyone know if the Galactic Empire had those? If so the costs of a Trantorian education are probably very low compared to the Coruscant one.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

NecronLord wrote:And then you fail to catch the Millennium falcon or something, and you get excecuted. In canon (Movies, Rebels) Star Wars, a large percentage of Imperial officers and even a planetary minister, have been killed by their superiors, usually without any disloyalty on their part. If you're suggesting you're not going to be competent in the 1st Galactic Empire, then Commandant Aresko is an example of what tends to happen to you.
It's a different type of competence, that's what I am saying. Being a good commander or a dedicated soldier or better yet a loyal informant (my personal preference) does require skills. But it's not the kind of skills you need a lifetime of living in a society thousands of years ahead of your own technologically to pick up. A person from earth would be completely at a loss when faced with the things that people from any of those settings take for granted. Like imagine trying to become something as simple as a taxi driver. "What do you mean you can't fly a hovercar?! My 13 year old son can do it! Get of my office!" Thus we would be completely lost at performing any job that isn't already performed by robots or some similar form of automation for manual labor leaving the only other alternative a lifetime in the low ranks of the military or as an informant to the regime when it takes over earth.

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Another reason to go for Trantor. They have robots and technology far beyond ours, but we can sell them all kinds of personal computing concepts and devices they don't have. And as they aren't likely to bomb us to take them, they'll pay.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

And how does that effect the vast majority of us who don't own patent rights to these things?