Space Battleship Yamato VS. Executor class Star Destroyer

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Daniel_Evercroft
Redshirt

Space Battleship Yamato VS. Executor class Star Destroyer

Post by Daniel_Evercroft »

I'm in a debate with a friend, he says that the Yamato would beat anything from Star Wars, so i want to use the Executor to disprove him.
Assuming that neither ship have any external or special assistance, ( No force power ) and using the Yamato's new design.
Which one of the two would win in a field of empty space?
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Re: Space Battleship Yamato VS. Executor class Star Destroye

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Umm...no offense but your friend is an idiot. Even assuming the Yamato's main gun (Note, never actually seen the show) could get through shields that can take three Imperial Star Destroyers coming out of hyperspace and slamming into it...the Yamato would have to take return fire from literally thousands of turbolasers. So, even if the Yamato has the firepower needed, it would get vaporized by the Ex before it could get more than one shot in. And if your friend pulls out ROTJ to say that the Executor doesn't have that firepower, just tell him that the whole point of the Imp fleet in that movie was to hold the Rebels back for the Death Star, not destroy their fleet themselves.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Even assuming the Yamato's main gun (Note, never actually seen the show) could get through shields that can take three Imperial Star Destroyers coming out of hyperspace and slamming into it....
Is there any good example of Star Destroyer shields that isn't from some obscure comic nobody read?
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Unfortunately no, but it is all we have to work with. That being said, I said that even assuming the Yamato can get through the shields (which is a big assumption even if the comic isn't used), it would get vaporized by the Ex's return fire. Unless you take the view that the Executor doesn't actually have thousands of turbolasers on its 19 kilometer hull.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

How big is the Yamato? If it literally is the old battleship wreck it will be 300-400 metres long as a guestimate. The Executor could probably ram it at full speed without worrying.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

The Space Battleship Yamato

The Yamato is kind of vaguely defined as being the original battleship rebuilt. It famously bursts forth from the wreckage of the WW2 version in the original show.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Having looked at a few clips of the Wave Motion Gun in action, your friend isn't entirely talking out the side of his neck.

The very first firing of the Wave motion gun was to blow up a small continent (or very large island).

Since then, they have refined the technology, and in the last series, the Yamato has six separate WMG charges, and can (barely) fire all six at once, which it used to blow up something that I'm not certain is a black hole threatening to swallow the Solar System, but is doing a good impression of one.

So your friend is probably right in that the Wave Motion Gun probably could blow up 80-90% of the ships in Star Wars (and might even take out the Death Star), there is the matter of it surviving long enough to get the shot off. That, I don't know enough about yet.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

The big problem is charge time and distance to target. From what I saw from the first clip the range is in between 8 Kilometers (5 miles) to 100,000 Kilometers (over 62,000 miles).

While the SBY may have somewhat superior firepower, it'll never fire off a shot before it gets blown to quark sized pieces.

Saw the two Youtube clips and the trigger of the WMG is the shape of a handgun? WTF? All you need to fire is at least a button, it isn't like the guy is actually aiming the WMG.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Yes, but the trigger is more dramatic.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Btw what kind of defences the Yamato has, since if it's just 1940s battleship armor, there's no way in hell it's get the Wavemotion gun off before it's blow to space dust by the Executor (it simply takes too long for the Wavemotion gun to charge up based on the clips), how ever if the Yamato has defences strong enough to ward off turbo-laser fire until the main gun is ready, it could go either way.

the Wiki article mentioned some sort of shields but it didn't say anything usefull about their power.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

Lord Revan wrote:Btw what kind of defences the Yamato has, since if it's just 1940s battleship armor, there's no way in hell it's get the Wavemotion gun off before it's blow to space dust by the Executor (it simply takes too long for the Wavemotion gun to charge up based on the clips), how ever if the Yamato has defences strong enough to ward off turbo-laser fire until the main gun is ready, it could go either way.

the Wiki article mentioned some sort of shields but it didn't say anything usefull about their power.
It's been thirty years, but I recall no mention of force fields, and the ship was easily damaged by Gamilon weapons. She has some sort of fabrication plant on board to make whatever replacement parts are needed, and they frequently had to hide out for a few days to patch up after a battle. If a single shot from the Executor could destroy an asteroid, the Argo doesn't stand a chance.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

SAMAS wrote:Yes, but the trigger is more dramatic.
:mrgreen:
Johonebesus wrote:
It's been thirty years, but I recall no mention of force fields, and the ship was easily damaged by Gamilon weapons. She has some sort of fabrication plant on board to make whatever replacement parts are needed, and they frequently had to hide out for a few days to patch up after a battle. If a single shot from the Executor could destroy an asteroid, the Argo doesn't stand a chance.
So the SBY is a glass cannon compared to the Executor?
Needs moar dakka
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

It's not so much a glass cannon but a small toy glass cannon compared to an Abrams battle tank. The Executor is so much larger, more heavily armed and shielded that the Yamato has no chance except though plot-induced stupidity.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Johonebesus wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:Btw what kind of defences the Yamato has, since if it's just 1940s battleship armor, there's no way in hell it's get the Wavemotion gun off before it's blow to space dust by the Executor (it simply takes too long for the Wavemotion gun to charge up based on the clips), how ever if the Yamato has defences strong enough to ward off turbo-laser fire until the main gun is ready, it could go either way.

I think the shields they had were the equivalent of ST's deflectors since according to the Wiki article they used it once to ride out a space storm.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

The only real defence system the Yamato ever displayed was (possibly used only once) to be able to form a ring of asteroids around itself to block incoming fire. No good against a Star Destroyer.

The Wave Motion Cannon takes far too long to charge up, target and fire. By the time the crew have put their goggles on, the ship would be dust.
And I'm saying that as someone who loves the Yamato.

OTOH, you throw the Yamato into the Babylon 5 universe and you could have some interesting encounters.
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

How good is the Yamato's point defense? Could it handle the Executor's 144 fighter complement and the warheads they are sure to spam?
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

As I recall the SBY's FTL system is fairly slow (about 50c in the test flight to Mars, although it gets faster) and finicky; takes a while to charge, route has to be precisely calculated, jump has to be precisely timed. If you get it wrong you don't just miss, you end up 'lost in the 4th dimension'. Both ships have horrible maneuverability, but Executor can easily hyper out if it needs to and will probably detect the SBY on subspace sensors well in advance and be able to ambush it from a favourable vector. SBY can't run or hide at FTL or sublight, whereas Executor can pull hundreds if not thousands of G of linear acceleration and disengage at will.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Enigma wrote:Saw the two Youtube clips and the trigger of the WMG is the shape of a handgun? WTF? All you need to fire is at least a button, it isn't like the guy is actually aiming the WMG.
I don't know if you recall Samurai Pizza Cats but they worked in a pizza shop that sent them on deliveries via a giant revolver mounted on the roof.

It's an anime thing.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Does the SBY have FTL sensors? Because if it doesn't there's the not inconsiderable problem of SSDs having lighthour effective ranges...
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Maybe if the SSD's shields were off they could just send a Cosmo Tiger to take out the bridge.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Rekkon wrote:How good is the Yamato's point defense? Could it handle the Executor's 144 fighter complement and the warheads they are sure to spam?
I dout the Executor would launch TIEs or use its warheads against something like the Yamato, a single TL bolt would severly damaged (probably outright destroy) the Yamato if what is implied is true and bulk of it hull is made of 1940s armor grade steel
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

If it's just the Yamato vs an SSD then the cosmo tigers are going to be outnumbered like 50 to one against the TIEs. The only reason a fighter got through at Endor was due to the chaos of the battle. Besides. Does the Yamato have anything that could take down an SSD's shields? Pitting the Yamato against a ship more than ten times it's size with more than twice the fighter complement just seems unfair. Maybe if you put it against a smaller Imperial warship like a Dreadnaught or a Carrack?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Lord Revan wrote:
Rekkon wrote:How good is the Yamato's point defense? Could it handle the Executor's 144 fighter complement and the warheads they are sure to spam?
I dout the Executor would launch TIEs or use its warheads against something like the Yamato, a single TL bolt would severly damaged (probably outright destroy) the Yamato if what is implied is true and bulk of it hull is made of 1940s armor grade steel
The bulk of the Yamato's hull is not made of 1940's steel. I know they harp on it being the re-built yamato, but in the pilot you actually see the spaceship's hull come flying out of the original WWII ships' hulk. There's no way it's made of the same material.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Parallax
Jedi Knight

Post by Parallax »

Honestly, it's pretty rubbish.
It can create a screen of 'AA' fire that can handle small numbers of enemy fighters but that's about it - hence why the Cosmo Tigers were so often assigned ship protection/intercept duty. The arc of fire of the AA guns are pretty limited as well, strictly to the sides of the ship with basically nothing to the front or back.

Which brings me to the point that the Yamato has NOTHING defence/offence-wise on it's bottom half at all. Zip. Zilch. Nadda. Something of a glaring design flaw.

As for what the Yamato is built out of? No idea but it's not regular steel - since steel simply could come nowhere close to handling the stresses we see the ship go through with relatively little damage. Whatever the material is, it can handle increased gravity (Jupiter outter atmosphere level, minimum) and atmospheric re-entry.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Darksider wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:
The bulk of the Yamato's hull is not made of 1940's steel. I know they harp on it being the re-built yamato, but in the pilot you actually see the spaceship's hull come flying out of the original WWII ships' hulk. There's no way it's made of the same material.
I'll concede on that point then.
Parallax wrote:Honestly, it's pretty rubbish.
It can create a screen of 'AA' fire that can handle small numbers of enemy fighters but that's about it - hence why the Cosmo Tigers were so often assigned ship protection/intercept duty. The arc of fire of the AA guns are pretty limited as well, strictly to the sides of the ship with basically nothing to the front or back.

Which brings me to the point that the Yamato has NOTHING defence/offence-wise on it's bottom half at all. Zip. Zilch. Nadda. Something of a glaring design flaw.
so they essentially no only did not improve on the orginal (WW2 battleship) Yamato's AA defense but also gave it a massive blind spot on the underside?