Sci-fi's most ineffectively used technologies...

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

MJ12 Commando
Padawan Learner

Sci-fi's most ineffectively used technologies...

Post by MJ12 Commando »

Well every bit of science fiction has technologies that they randomly put in and the implications of (X) never get thought about ever. Probably for good reason because they'd break the universe wide open.

So here's a thread for your favorite/least favorite technologies that would have world-changing implications if they stopped hugging the idiot ball so tightly.
TempestSong
Youngling

Re: Sci-fi's most ineffectively used technologies...

Post by TempestSong »

Star Trek's Transporter and Replicator technologies.

Seriously. Devices that can rearrange atoms and molecules to anything you want. Given how these have been used, I wonder what prevents them from "copy pasting" existing ship designs in optimal conditions (i.e. no treknobabble interference)? Of course, there may have been a stated explanation that I have missed (been awhile since I've truly looked over Trek), but it's something that's always come to mind whenever I thought of it.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

TempestSong wrote:Star Trek's Transporter and Replicator technologies.

Seriously. Devices that can rearrange atoms and molecules to anything you want. Given how these have been used, I wonder what prevents them from "copy pasting" existing ship designs in optimal conditions (i.e. no treknobabble interference)? Of course, there may have been a stated explanation that I have missed (been awhile since I've truly looked over Trek), but it's something that's always come to mind whenever I thought of it.
Materials too complex cannot be replicated. There's a whole mess of things that they simply cannot replicate, from parts and machinery to organic compounds.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Temporal manipulation technology. In certain perspectives, could be used to create nigh infinite anything at will through paradox, or at least seriously constrain the results of any action. Generally only used to get your parents together or steal gold.
TempestSong
Youngling

Post by TempestSong »

Peptuck wrote:Materials too complex cannot be replicated. There's a whole mess of things that they simply cannot replicate, from parts and machinery to organic compounds.
How far does this go though? It's been shown that the Transporter can magically clone humans (evil Kirk and Thomas William Riker being two examples).
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

Teleportation (in Star Wars); stage magicians use it, but there are no (canonically demonstrated) transportation or other applications (except, arguably, that scene where Qui-Gon Jinn sent that blood sample for analysis in Ep I).
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Worst used technology? Computers.
Stark wrote:Temporal manipulation technology. In certain perspectives, could be used to create nigh infinite anything at will through paradox, or at least seriously constrain the results of any action. Generally only used to get your parents together or steal gold.
I find it reasonable they would be a bit careful given that it is messing with the foundation of reality.
TempestSong wrote:
Peptuck wrote:Materials too complex cannot be replicated. There's a whole mess of things that they simply cannot replicate, from parts and machinery to organic compounds.
How far does this go though? It's been shown that the Transporter can magically clone humans (evil Kirk and Thomas William Riker being two examples).
Evil Kirk wasn't a clone- he was transported from the mirror universe. Unless you mean the good/evil split, which broke Kirk up- no new people.

THR makes no sense whatsoever.
Darth Hoth wrote:Teleportation (in Star Wars); stage magicians use it, but there are no (canonically demonstrated) transportation or other applications (except, arguably, that scene where Qui-Gon Jinn sent that blood sample for analysis in Ep I).
They fear for their immortal souls. Seriously, transporters kill you and put you back together- is there any wonder people are reluctant to use them? I think the TPM example is just Qui-Gon misspeaking.
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

Samuel wrote:They fear for their immortal souls. Seriously, transporters kill you and put you back together- is there any wonder people are reluctant to use them? I think the TPM example is just Qui-Gon misspeaking.
Trek Transporters do. The one explicit Wars example of teleportation we do have is more on the order of a Stargate, though portable. There was a discussion of this in SWvST some weeks ago, I think. As for Master Jinn, I am uncertain what exactly that instance implied.
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

For Star Wars, Hypermatter. You have a method of power generation that totally surpasses everything else, ever ever. Ok, cool. Where does all that heat go? You can't tell me the tiny little radiators are enough to keep a TIE Fighter that effortlessly leaves orbit and shoots lasers that hit like atomic bombs from turning into a liquid mess. And why don't whole atmospheres burn when they're on maneuver?
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Darth Hoth wrote:
Samuel wrote:They fear for their immortal souls. Seriously, transporters kill you and put you back together- is there any wonder people are reluctant to use them? I think the TPM example is just Qui-Gon misspeaking.
Trek Transporters do. The one explicit Wars example of teleportation we do have is more on the order of a Stargate, though portable. There was a discussion of this in SWvST some weeks ago, I think. As for Master Jinn, I am uncertain what exactly that instance implied.
I know the one they have in Wars is a portal, but given it is one of a kind I think that if they have teleport tech it will be teleporter style.
open_sketchbook wrote:For Star Wars, Hypermatter. You have a method of power generation that totally surpasses everything else, ever ever. Ok, cool. Where does all that heat go? You can't tell me the tiny little radiators are enough to keep a TIE Fighter that effortlessly leaves orbit and shoots lasers that hit like atomic bombs from turning into a liquid mess. And why don't whole atmospheres burn when they're on maneuver?
Because they have insanely high heat capacity. They can take the equivalent of nuclear blasts and shrug them off (rebel attack on the first death star).

As for burning away the atmosphere, they use different drives when they are in atmosphere- lower power to avoid that. Once away, space provides a good enough insulation to prevent accidentally coking planets.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Darth Hoth wrote:
Magwit's Hoop was explicitly said to be a matter transmitter. That means it tears you apart. Though it's quite sophisticated in that you can shove a hand through and still feel and control it, which might mean it has continuity of conciousness as a brain passes through.

Of course, the entire boba-fett comic-book incident is so retarded it really ought to be non-canonical. It is indeed epically mis-used.

And the idea that Qui-gon physically sent the blood, as opposed to just sending information on it for the ship's computer to analyse is... err, questionable. Why not assume that protocol droids exist that actually could teleport Luke interstellar, while we're being rediculously literal?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

Stargate has some as well.

Ascension machine - Created by Anubis. It might be dangerous to use but it would have been damn effective to throw child Orlan into the machine for a couple hours so that he did not lose his mind so quickly.

Zats- Not a one off item but why the heck would they take old fashion wired tasers to Atlantis with them when a Zat is infinitely more useful.
I KILL YOU!!!
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Regarding replicators: I never understood that in case of a Borg attack, why don't they just order a couple of Tommy guns and kill the horde that has a grave weakness to bullets? Hell, I'm sure that they can make something as simple as a Sten gun on demand. I can get why they don't have one around for just such occasions, but when you know that you have Borg on-board, why not use the replicators at hand, a device that can manufacture anything?

Then again, trying to figure out the tactical thinking of Federation might be a futile effort. I am quite certain that their weapons expert might need a dictionary to figure out the word "ergonomics".
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Bilbo wrote:Stargate has some as well.

Ascension machine - Created by Anubis. It might be dangerous to use but it would have been damn effective to throw child Orlan into the machine for a couple hours so that he did not lose his mind so quickly.
That was a standard genetic-alteration machine. Anubis knew what he was doing with it. Nirrti produced genetic-mutants and people that spontaneously liquified with a similar device. Anubis and Khalek knew how to use it, but neither shared their information with the SGC.

Why should we assume that the SGC would be as good at using it as Nirrti?

Are you perhaps thinking of the 'Ascend-o-matic' device on Atlantis? The one that was known to kill ancients using it?
Zats- Not a one off item but why the heck would they take old fashion wired tasers to Atlantis with them when a Zat is infinitely more useful.
The vapourise setting has basically been retconned. It seems the writers would rather like you to forget it ever existed.

Even then, a Zat is a taser you can only use once without killing your victim. If they'd used a Zat on Caldwell-snake, he'd have expired before Caldwell could give them the disarm code, and they'd all be dead.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

Samuel wrote:I know the one they have in Wars is a portal, but given it is one of a kind I think that if they have teleport tech it will be teleporter style.
As Batman (if I recall correctly) pointed out, it cannot simply be "one-of-a-kind", "lost tech", or else every intelligence and security agency would be hunting little Magwit for it (Wookiee said he had several, but I cannot verify this independently). It was evidently commonplace enough that it did not bother the bigwigs.
NecronLord wrote:Magwit's Hoop was explicitly said to be a matter transmitter. That means it tears you apart. Though it's quite sophisticated in that you can shove a hand through and still feel and control it, which might mean it has continuity of conciousness as a brain passes through.
It was? My mistake, then, I do not have the comic available. (Though of course, dialogue is not foolproof.) I merely went by observed effect.
Of course, the entire boba-fett comic-book incident is so retarded it really ought to be non-canonical. It is indeed epically mis-used.
Sort of, yes. :wink:
And the idea that Qui-gon physically sent the blood, as opposed to just sending information on it for the ship's computer to analyse is... err, questionable. Why not assume that protocol droids exist that actually could teleport Luke interstellar, while we're being rediculously literal?
It was not my idea originally, I only read that someone thought so (in a SWvST thread around here a couple of months ago, I think). Though, if the objective was a simple organelle count, why would he need to send data for analysis if his comm could scan the sample at a sufficient magnification to discern them? Of course, that scene was badly written either way.

-George "Evil" Lucas
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

NecronLord wrote:
Bilbo wrote:Stargate has some as well.

That was a standard genetic-alteration machine. Anubis knew what he was doing with it. Nirrti produced genetic-mutants and people that spontaneously liquified with a similar device. Anubis and Khalek knew how to use it, but neither shared their information with the SGC.

Why should we assume that the SGC would be as good at using it as Nirrti?

Are you perhaps thinking of the 'Ascend-o-matic' device on Atlantis? The one that was known to kill ancients using it?
The vapourise setting has basically been retconned. It seems the writers would rather like you to forget it ever existed.

Even then, a Zat is a taser you can only use once without killing your victim. If they'd used a Zat on Caldwell-snake, he'd have expired before Caldwell could give them the disarm code, and they'd all be dead.

My thinking was that Orlan himself would be able to use the machine pretty well on himself. If not a throwaway line where Mitchel suggests it and Sam shoots him down with a "already asked him Orlan says the other Ascended wiped that from his mind on purpose" would have been nice.

As for Zats I was thinking more in general. They would have made a very effective general sidearm and the first time we see tasers used (when they tried to capture their first Wraith) would have probably gone better with a Zat then with a taser.

When was the last time we see the Zat used in the third shot setting? Tealc's wife's new husband got vaped by Jack, they vapped some gear in the 1969 episode, in the dimensional episode some mention is made about Zats working the same here as in "their reality" but I am not sure of they were talking about the 2nd shot killing or 3rd shot vaping, its been a while since I saw the episode.

Beyond that they never bother to show anyone being shot multiple times with a zat except for Anubis warriors who obviously shrug it off.

Thats another piece of tech I would love to see used. SGC has several sets of super armor that resists damn near everything. The only weapon that works is a weapon that neutralizes the special energy keeping an Anubis warrior alive. Oh and one can assume a humanform replicator can kill them.

Would be nice in really bad situations to see some of them throw on this armor. Vala, Jackson, and Carters Dad all proved that anyone can wear the armor safely.
I KILL YOU!!!
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Stark wrote:Temporal manipulation technology. In certain perspectives, could be used to create nigh infinite anything at will through paradox, or at least seriously constrain the results of any action. Generally only used to get your parents together or steal gold.
For instance, you could make an army composed of one fairly chunky mercenary who got eaten by a giant sand scorpion.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Darth Hoth wrote: It was not my idea originally, I only read that someone thought so (in a SWvST thread around here a couple of months ago, I think). Though, if the objective was a simple organelle count, why would he need to send data for analysis if his comm could scan the sample at a sufficient magnification to discern them? Of course, that scene was badly written either way.
A digital camera can take a photograph of a flock of birds. It can't count how many are there. You'd need to send the image to a computer with analysis software (or count by hand) to do so. Of course, bloodwork is substantially different, but the point remains; imaging is not the same as analysis. Presumably telling the difference between medi-chlorains and mitochondria is quite difficult! :lol:
Bilbo wrote:My thinking was that Orlan himself would be able to use the machine pretty well on himself.
Err. Why assume that? If he had been able to, surely he'd have mentioned it. "Now, we just need to get me to Atlantis, and I can zap myself back up to full genius level. Also, I'll be the sizzlingly sexy guy I was last time."
As for Zats I was thinking more in general. They would have made a very effective general sidearm and the first time we see tasers used (when they tried to capture their first Wraith) would have probably gone better with a Zat then with a taser.
Perhaps. They've certainly got range. But if the wraith (as Steve probably would have; jaffa and main characters have been known to) had just powered through it, you'd have to either get a tazer out anyway, or kill him.
When was the last time we see the Zat used in the third shot setting? Tealc's wife's new husband got vaped by Jack, they vapped some gear in the 1969 episode, in the dimensional episode some mention is made about Zats working the same here as in "their reality" but I am not sure of they were talking about the 2nd shot killing or 3rd shot vaping, its been a while since I saw the episode.
Second season SG1
Beyond that they never bother to show anyone being shot multiple times with a zat except for Anubis warriors who obviously shrug it off.
Aris Boch. "Ooh, tickles."
Thats another piece of tech I would love to see used. SGC has several sets of super armor that resists damn near everything. The only weapon that works is a weapon that neutralizes the special energy keeping an Anubis warrior alive. Oh and one can assume a humanform replicator can kill them.
It also draws energy from the user's blood-naquadah, and the intended users were especially engineered to make it go. There was a serious risk of it killing Jacob. Vala wore some, but that doesn't necesserily mean its safe.

Would be nice in really bad situations to see some of them throw on this armor. Vala, Jackson, and Carters Dad all proved that anyone can wear the armor safely.
Anyone who's been a host to a goa'uld. That's Vala and Carter. Out of the whole SGC.

With a noticable risk of them falling down dead when they try to use the special functions. It worked once for daniel. Against a gun of unknown power.
Bilbo
Jedi Master

Post by Bilbo »

Ah yes Aris. Just for throwback sake he should have been the guy they showed collecting the bounty on the fallen head of the Lucien Alliance.

I will have to rewatch the first Kull Warrior episode. I thought they were afraid that the shield around the gate on the planet the warriors came from would kill Jacob not that the suit itself was a danger. I will withold further statement will after watching it again.

Even if the Wraith resisted the first blast some it would have probably at least knocked him down for a second which would have made grabbing and disarming him easier. Give me the range of a zat over a taser anyday when dealing with life sucking Wraith.

I give you though that we just dont know enough about the Anubis ascendo machine. While I am betting that Orlan could use it fine for all we know the knowledge was taken away or the SGC had already taken it apart and shipped it off to Area 51 so there would be no way to put it back together in time.

One thing I did like is how they did not forget about the Sodan technology. They used it in followup and then came up with a reason why they had to stop using it.

Did not Jack and Daniel escape the Tolan homeworld right before the Goa'uld destroyed the place wearing one of those Tolan phasing items? Might only have one of them but it would still be damn useful.
I KILL YOU!!!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Bilbo wrote:Even if the Wraith resisted the first blast some it would have probably at least knocked him down for a second which would have made grabbing and disarming him easier.
Then he would have died. If you rewatch the early episodes, jaffa can stand through one shot, and keep moving, another shot just kills them stone dead, even if they resisted the first.
One thing I did like is how they did not forget about the Sodan technology. They used it in followup and then came up with a reason why they had to stop using it.
They didn't. They just regulated their use. They were still using it to spy on the Priors of Ori as of Ark of Truth.
Did not Jack and Daniel escape the Tolan homeworld right before the Goa'uld destroyed the place wearing one of those Tolan phasing items? Might only have one of them but it would still be damn useful.
As I recall, they had one, briefly, but it was removed when they were captured by Tollan security forces. Narim's was used to escape, and he had it on him at the end.

Really, almost any 'they should be using it better' claims for SG reverse engineering, rely on people barely in the electronic age being able to understand items centuries ahead of them. It's credibility straining enough that they've worked out as much as they have so far.
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

Another Star Wars one, droids. Why do people even do work in that universe?
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

TempestSong wrote:Star Trek's Transporter and Replicator technologies.

You're subscribing to a popular but dangerously irrational mindset, which is to solve mysteries by attributing them to omnipotence. That's how religions start.

Specifically, you are assuming that replicators have near-godlike power because you don't understand how they can do what they do. We actually have numerous indicators of their limitations, but even without those, the point is that you should always ask what is the absolute minimum capability required to do what we've seen them do, rather than leaping to the assumption that they have unlimited power over their working medium. That is precisely the "confusion -> omnipotence" leap in logic that people make when founding religions.
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Star Trek;
Another way the transporter is underused (probably more so for Borg + Dominion transporters).

use a series of transporter relay satelites, and literally beam people from Earth to Vulcan and back. You'd establish a 'transporter highway', and be able to move materials and personelle far faster then Warp drive allows.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

open_sketchbook wrote:Another Star Wars one, droids. Why do people even do work in that universe?
Aside from the military? Who actually says they do?

Owen Lars has a crapload of droids that do the physical work, which he manages, and he's a homesteader in the back end of beyond.

Shmi was picking mushrooms, but that's not exactly hard work. We've seen designers, and service industry personnel (barmen and such; Jex springs to mind) but heavy and repetative labour is done by droids. The jobs we see humans do are either the ones you don't want droids doing in case of another slave rebellion from the droids (Imperial Military) or ones where being personable is part of the job.

The only guys implied to do work that can be easily automated, offhand, are the Wookies and various other slavers. And that's basically about power, control and punishment, rather than efficiency.
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

ST: TNG "The Game"

A game that directly stimulates the pleasure centers of your brain, and conditions your loyalty to another group. The only time I ever saw this used since was the Space Empires RP that was done here. If you use it carefully, you can 'recondition' prisoners to want to work for everyone. If you screw it up, you wind up with a group of people who are trying to follow contradictory commands, and their brains shut down.

I.e. condition a group of people to be loyal to the United Federation of Planets. Later the name is changed to United Federation of Systems, and you get a group of people who campaign to have it changed back, and refuse to do anything else.