Your favorite obscure Scifi?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Your favorite obscure Scifi?

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

My favorite, which came up in a chat with my brother tonight, was the 1998 Anime series "Invasion: America". The scope, the characters, the action, I just felt it was awesome and would easily spend $50 to get all 13 episodes.

So, what's your favorite scifi nobody else remembers? (Firefly is too obvious(.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Re: Your favorite obscure Scifi?

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:My favorite, which came up in a chat with my brother tonight, was the 1998 Anime series "Invasion: America". The scope, the characters, the action, I just felt it was awesome and would easily spend $50 to get all 13 episodes.

OMG! I remember that! It was the most awesome thing ever! I had the novel/novelization (?) to the first installment, I must've read it 300 times. I was so sad when it wasn't continued. :(

Anyways, 40k certainly isn't obscure anymore these days, so I'll have to say Dietz's earlier work, such as the Bounty trilogy, Bodyguard, and such. But then I'm a military-SF fanwhore.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:My favorite, which came up in a chat with my brother tonight, was the 1998 Anime series "Invasion: America". The scope, the characters, the action, I just felt it was awesome and would easily spend $50 to get all 13 episodes.

OMG! I remember that! It was the most awesome thing ever! I had the novel/novelization (?) to the first installment, I must've read it 300 times. I was so sad when it wasn't continued. :(
Did you get the second installment in the novel series? Also excellent.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

I'm a big fan of Ben Bova's sci-fi novels. I'm not sure if it's really obscure, but AFAIK, they've never been mentioned here by anyone but myself, and I don't know any sci-fi fans in real life, except for one friend of mine, who's into more mainstream sci-fi (SW, ST, B5).
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Srynerson
Jedi Knight

Post by Srynerson »

Not necessarily my favorite, but Alphaville by Jean Luc Godard is obscure but good trippy '60s sci-fi. I tend to be surprised that it doesn't get more attention because of its similarities to The Prisoner (it was released two years before The Prisoner started shooting).
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Alphaville isn't technically science fiction. It's a noir thriller, part of a series of films Godard made after the New Wave ended, in an attept to find a genre in narrative film that was best suited in communicating politics, before deciding to abandon narrative film altogether in favour of pure political cinema after May '68.

But if you want to call it sci-fi, go ahead. :P

Anyway, I can't think of anything at the moment that's genuinely obscure, but as a placeholder for the time being, I'll just say Tomino's Mobile Suit Gundam novel trilogy.

Would The Dune Encyclopedia on its own count? That thing is a real gem...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Greg Egan novels. None of your simpering standard-scifi rubbish, it makes you put the book down and scratch your head to try and work out exactly what's going on. And it has simulated universes that go on simulating after the computers stop, cops who turn on their duty neural mods and never turn them off, and other messed up stuff. Brought to you by the guy with the 'quantum soccer' applet on his website! :D
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Theres a really cool, really old book that I forget the name of.

All I remember is it involved xenophobic 7fingered Rabbit Aliens who land in a colony ship in America in the 1940's and o one fnds out till the late 60's.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Obviously Firefly.

I will also second "Invasion America". It had its moments, but I never saw the end of it.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Firefly isn't obscure.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:Anyways, 40k certainly isn't obscure anymore these days,
Sure it is. The man on the street has little to no knowledge of it.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Alphaville isn't technically science fiction. It's a noir thriller, part of a series of films Godard made after the New Wave ended, in an attept to find a genre in narrative film that was best suited in communicating politics, before deciding to abandon narrative film altogether in favour of pure political cinema after May '68.

But if you want to call it sci-fi, go ahead. :P
How is alphaville not sci-fi? It's set in some kind of futuristic city which has been taken over by a supercomputer that doses the population up on pills, what is that if not sci-fi?
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

NecronLord wrote:
Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:Anyways, 40k certainly isn't obscure anymore these days,
Sure it is. The man on the street has little to no knowledge of it.
By that definition only SW, ST and maybe Asimov are not obscure.

While it may be obscure to someone without any knowledge of sci fi, but anyone with a little knowledge in sci fi would know about (For example) Asimov and Arthur C Clarke's work, and out of the average sci fi fan population WH40k really is not obscure compared to even the culture books, since it is one of the 3 best known series after the big 2.
Plenty of people also know about it from the games anyway, which further increases it's "popularity".

Does Philip K Dick count as obscure sci fi if I'm talking about his non movie books and short stories
:P :?:
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

DEATH wrote:By that definition only SW, ST and maybe Asimov are not obscure.
Correct. Over here, Dr. Who too.
since it is one of the 3 best known series after the big 2.
Proof?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Plekhanov wrote:How is alphaville not sci-fi?
Because it's Godard. :P

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

DEATH wrote:Does Philip K Dick count as obscure sci fi if I'm talking about his non movie books and short stories :P :?:
No, because he was actually one of the heavies of science fiction literature.

Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
Plekhanov wrote:How is alphaville not sci-fi?
Because it's Godard. :P
Sorry I must have missed the memo that stated that Godard & scifi are mutually exclusive, what does it matter who directed it? It is set in a futuristic city with a wierd supercomputer that's taken over a city therefore it's scifi.

Godard directed it so it’s prententious & French but that doesn’t stop it being Sci-Fi it just means its pretentious, French SciFi.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

NecronLord wrote:
So od you agree or disgaree, there is a difference between obscure sci fi and non extremely popular sci fi.
Necron wrote:since it is one of the 3 best known series after the big 2.
Proof?
[/quote]
Hmm, I was talking from personal experience and I'll conceed this although a google has this:
Google searches wrote: Results 1 - 10 of about 4,120,000 English and Hebrew pages for warhammer
Results 1 - 10 of about 2,900,000 English and Hebrew pages for warhammer 4

Results 1 - 10 of about 4,930,000 English and Hebrew pages for New battlestar galactica
Results 1 - 10 of about 5,900,000 English and Hebrew pages for battlestar galactica

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,650,000 English and Hebrew pages for firefly AND"sci fi"
Results 1 - 10 of about 4,820,000 for "babylon 5"

Results 1 - 10 of about 18,700,000 for stargate
Results 1 - 10 of about 2,730,000 English and Hebrew pages for stargate "sg1 OR atlantis"
A few Googles have Either Stargate or Battle star galactica as the most popular, although this is not a relaible method of testing in the absence of anything else I'll take this as evidence, therefore conceeding my statement about 40k being among the most popular sci fi series.

Sorry for the unbacked statement :oops: , I'm used to 40k being well known on various boards and lost proportion due to the lack of many sci fi series on tv here (Changing my exposure to it). - A complete fallacy, my apologies.
I know that :roll: :wink: , the question is if we're using the "definition" of obscure sci fi as non popular sci fi, or non mainstream sci fi.
[Mainstream being Star wars, non mainstream but popular being (For example) Dan simmons or Philip K dick [arguable], and obscure being some of the previous examples such as Slaan by voght.)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

DEATH wrote:So od you agree or disgaree, there is a difference between obscure sci fi and non extremely popular sci fi.
People on the street here immediately recognise a TARDIS, or an Enterprise, or the millennium falcon. There's nowhere near comparable brand recognition for a leman russ tank.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

NecronLord wrote:
DEATH wrote:So od you agree or disgaree, there is a difference between obscure sci fi and non extremely popular sci fi.
People on the street here immediately recognise a TARDIS, or an Enterprise, or the millennium falcon. There's nowhere near comparable brand recognition for a leman russ tank.
True but those are extemely popular series, saying that someothing is obscure compared to the most popular 2-3 series in the world (Or area in Dr.Who's case :) ) is not very accurate.

For example Tchacovsky is hardly obscure and anyone with a small amount of classical msuic should recognize the name but he isn't as popular as Beethoven or Mozhart. B
ut is Tchaikovvsky (wrote the music of swan lake) obscure? Hell no.
Photography
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

There's obscure by our nerdy standards, and then there's obscure by the general population's standards.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

NecronLord wrote:There's obscure by our nerdy standards, and then there's obscure by the general population's standards.
Exactly my point, although most real sci fi fans on the board represent the more extreme end of sci fi knowledge, but you have pretty much just said my point.
Photography
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Full Metal Panic. I'd say it counts as sci-fi.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Alan Dean Foster's Icerigger or Damned trilogies. Great stuff.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Lex
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lex »

DEATH wrote:
NecronLord wrote:
So od you agree or disgaree, there is a difference between obscure sci fi and non extremely popular sci fi.
Necron wrote:since it is one of the 3 best known series after the big 2.
Proof?
Hmm, I was talking from personal experience and I'll conceed this although a google has this:
Google searches wrote: Results 1 - 10 of about 4,120,000 English and Hebrew pages for warhammer
Results 1 - 10 of about 2,900,000 English and Hebrew pages for warhammer 4

Results 1 - 10 of about 4,930,000 English and Hebrew pages for New battlestar galactica
Results 1 - 10 of about 5,900,000 English and Hebrew pages for battlestar galactica

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,650,000 English and Hebrew pages for firefly AND"sci fi"
Results 1 - 10 of about 4,820,000 for "babylon 5"

Results 1 - 10 of about 18,700,000 for stargate
Results 1 - 10 of about 2,730,000 English and Hebrew pages for stargate "sg1 OR atlantis"
A few Googles have Either Stargate or Battle star galactica as the most popular, although this is not a relaible method of testing in the absence of anything else I'll take this as evidence, therefore conceeding my statement about 40k being among the most popular sci fi series.

Sorry for the unbacked statement :oops: , I'm used to 40k being well known on various boards and lost proportion due to the lack of many sci fi series on tv here (Changing my exposure to it). - A complete fallacy, my apologies.
I know that :roll: :wink: , the question is if we're using the "definition" of obscure sci fi as non popular sci fi, or non mainstream sci fi.
[Mainstream being Star wars, non mainstream but popular being (For example) Dan simmons or Philip K dick [arguable], and obscure being some of the previous examples such as Slaan by voght.)[/quote]

I'd pretty much agree, most members of this board do not share the definitions of the "average joe"

an all in all google search gave me this:
star wars 56,900,000
star trek 24,200,000
babylon 5 8,570,000
stargate 7,150,000
battlestar galactica 4,090,000
warhammer 40k 3,470,000
Asimov 3,150,000

nevertheless, I believe here in austria, star trek is the most popular, followed by star wars and stargate... battlestar and babylon might rank 4-5, but warhammer is mostly unknown.. and I'd say onl 10 out of a million here have erver heard of dr. who... same goes for asimov im afraid[/i]
As long there is gravity, ride on...