10 best dystopias?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

10 best dystopias?

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

link
Wired list wrote:They're supposed to be hellish wastelands. But some of the sinister netherworlds found in books, movies, and videogames seem pretty cool. Sex, drugs, kick-ass weapons, fly rides - where do we sign up?

1) Los Angeles from Blade Runner
Cheap exotic animal knockoffs and remarkably quick trips to and from the Valley are hallmarks of LA in 2019. And don't even get us started on those Nexus 6 basic pleasure model replicants.

2) San Andreas from Grand Theft Auto
Want a limo? Jack one. Drive it at top speed through stop signs and into pedestrians. The cops will eventually kill you, but the afterlife is another game. And another.

3) Republic of Greater East Asia from Battle Royale
It's got better TV shows than Survivor. Instead of watching an island full of narcissists voting each other off, you get to watch an island full of snotty teenagers killing each other off. That's worth TiVoing.

4) Tatooine from Star Wars
It may be far from the bright center of the universe, but you can score droids from Jawas, bull's-eye wamp rats in Beggar's Canyon, and maybe even get an exclusive invite to a rager on Jabba's barge.

5) 1999 from The Matrix
On one level you're just a power cell in a human cocoon field, but on another you're living in a perpetual bubble economy. And if you pop the right pill, you get to dress up in leather and play with guns - lots of guns.

6) Hell from Dante's Inferno
Chill out in the outer reaches, admiring the view and reciting poetry with Homer and Virgil. As night falls, drop down a few circles to where the real party is: among all those gamblers and fornicators.

7) Htrae (aka Bizarro World) from Superman
On this planet, everything am ugly and backwards, including the grammar. Alarm clock tells you when to go to bed, and dogs walk people. Inhabitants of Bizarro World am so happy, them cry all the time!

8) Australia from The Road Warrior
All you need to live the good life here is a full tank of gas for your armor-plated muscle car. Sure, that Lord Humungus guy seems a little overbearing, but there is an enlightened view of alternative lifestyles, including a highly active fetish community.

9) London from Brave New World
Sexual promiscuity, gratuitous consumerism, and drug abuse aren't just tolerated, they're encouraged. Still not convinced? Have another hit of Soma; you'll feel better.

10) Shelbyville from The Simpsons
Springfield's longtime rival boasts natural wonders like Rolling Rock and Shelbyville Falls. And its sports teams regularly trounce the competition in minor-league grudge matches.
Why is Shelbyvile considered a Dystopia?
Brave new world also would be fun to live in, since you would be happy (And without even happy bots).
The planets owned by the Omni Corp might also be all right as long as you keep out of main stream groups (Those happy bots can kill you citizen :) :D :twisted: )
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Most of those seem fair, but Dante's Inferno? Did the writer actually read that? Getting your flesh rended by a pack of demons over and over again for all eternity and more of that sort of nastyness isn't my idea of fun...
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

Personally, I think the City from GTA2 is a way cooler place than San Andreas...
SiegeTank wrote:Most of those seem fair, but Dante's Inferno? Did the writer actually read that? Getting your flesh rended by a pack of demons over and over again for all eternity and more of that sort of nastyness isn't my idea of fun...
The writer seemed to think the upper circles were the fun places, and then he would go down to the lower circles where "the real party is". He forgot that those that are placed in Hell cannot move to other circles...
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Where is Libria from Equilibrium? I mean... it's not like you can feel bad or despressed since you don't have emotions anyway (than again, you don't feel happy either)
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

How would you rate the cities from Judge Dredd and Demolition Man?
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

wautd wrote:How would you rate the cities from Judge Dredd and Demolition Man?
Judge Dredd cities vary, with the East Meg and Vatican cities being 1984 style fortresses, and Meg 1-3 simply having an 88% unemployment rate (Although everyone has extremely high unemployment wages), with laws agaisnt everything (Literally, if a Judge wants to bust you, you can't do a thing).
It's also a elected dictatorship since the Judges were voted (In a free election) at least twice into power over the constitution, and while Judges can do almost anything they want (See Judge Cal [although he used brainwashing] for the ludicrous extreme of this), they are held up to unbeleievably high standards and taught to hold the law above all else, a corrupt Judge is almost unheard off and is dealt with very harshly.

The main problem is the nasty thing that have happened in Megs history, but as Dystopias go it's immeasurably better than a 40k hive world/city.

Demolition man cities actually seemd to be damn fun, no crime and people didn't feel the urge for sex.
The 3 conches would be a problem though, and those pesky rebels :P
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

DEATH wrote:
The 3 conches would be a problem though, and those pesky rebels :P
Aw but at least the rebels know the joy of eating a juicy ratburger :wink:
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

How DO those three seashells work?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Cthulhuvong
Youngling

Post by Cthulhuvong »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:How DO those three seashells work?
He doesn't know how to use the three sea shells :P
I used to think that it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe. ~Marcus Cole, Babylon 5

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask "why not?" ~John F Kennedy Jr, 1963
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Cthulhuvong wrote:
Don't laugh, cause I'll bet you don't either... :twisted:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I'm guessing it's some sort of bidet...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

Cthulhuvong wrote:
Damn *BEEP* Fucker *BEEP* Asshole *BEEP*

Who needs the seashells anyway?

Alpha City from the RPG Paranoia gets my vote ;)
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

DEATH wrote:
Judge Dredd cities vary, with the East Meg and Vatican cities being 1984 style fortresses,
Did we ever really see much of East-Meg 1 before Dredd nuked it? I can't really think of any examples.
with laws agaisnt everything (Literally, if a Judge wants to bust you, you can't do a thing).
Oh, nonsense. There's was one where they had around 20 Judges tearing up a guys apartment without finding anything to let them take him in. ("Slow Crime Day").
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I'm amazed Oceania isn't listed which would be quite obvious, Libria is pretty much the same only with a more modern touch now.

Personally, Vice City and Liberty City always appealed more than San Andreas.
Spacebeard
Padawan Learner

Post by Spacebeard »

I think it's pretty difficult to justify calling Tatooine a dystopia. I was always under the impression that it was intended to be a run of the mill shithole frontier world ("If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farther from.")

Does that mean that Kansas from "The Wizard of Oz" is also a dystopia? It has poverty-stricken farmers, it has dangerous storms, it has a young person dreaming of escape, and it even has a wealthy local bully.
I'm amazed Oceania isn't listed which would be quite obvious
I think the intent is to list dystopias which would actually be fun to inhabit. I'd be surprised if there's anyone who thinks, even in jest, that he would enjoy living in Oceania.
"This war, all around us, is being fought over the very meanings of words." - Chad, Deus Ex
Dennis Toy
BANNED

Post by Dennis Toy »

i'd love to live in San Andreas, first you got cars that don't kill the occupants when they crash, only when they blow up, you get to use all sorts of weapons, fly jets and rocket packs and then invade military bases and not get killed. Then you can kill people and they come back( all the people look the same and talk the same, i suspect they are replicants) and if you die, you can come back and play again.
You wanna set an example Garak....Use him, Let him Die!!
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Tokyo of 2050 in 'Burst Angel'. Private possession of firearms is legalized, women now favor tight-fitting clothing that show a lot of skin, and giant robots-- known as cybots-- are commonly used by police and military units to deal with mutants, monsters, zombies, and other cybots. It's hard to get bored in a place like that.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

The world of Fallout 1/2 is actually fantastic, IF you live in a vault or the enclave, otherwise the wastes make Mad Max's seem fun.
Did we ever really see much of East-Meg 1 before Dredd nuked it? I can't really think of any examples.
Considering how Dredd thought it was too strict (The episode with the olympic war games) I doubt that it could have been fun.
Oh, nonsense. There's was one where they had around 20 Judges tearing up a guys apartment without finding anything to let them take him in. ("Slow Crime Day").
Wow :shock: , technically if he'd started walking around then they could have busted him for fast.slow walking.
How did he pull that of?
Photography
Anomie
Padawan Learner
Location: Between the begining of time and the end of the universe

Post by Anomie »

Spacebeard wrote:
I'm amazed Oceania isn't listed which would be quite obvious
I think the intent is to list dystopias which would actually be fun to inhabit. I'd be surprised if there's anyone who thinks, even in jest, that he would enjoy living in Oceania.
What is Oceania from?
You shall be the instrument of my vengence. Through you I shall scream out my wrath unto the heavens.
"Explosions fix everything" - Nabeshin - Excel Saga
"When you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss comments on how you have no social life."
"We jumped the shark AND took its wallet" My friend commenting upon our groups dinner conversation.
CoVD:We are all but a part of a dream that Vin Diesel is having.
Church of Perverts: As the Lord commands, so shall we do. And do. And do.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

What is Oceania from?
by George Orwell
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Anomie
Padawan Learner

Post by Anomie »

Got to get around to reading that one of these days.
You shall be the instrument of my vengence. Through you I shall scream out my wrath unto the heavens.
"When you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss comments on how you have no social life."
"We jumped the shark AND took its wallet" My friend commenting upon our groups dinner conversation.
Anomie
Padawan Learner

Post by Anomie »

Sorry I hit submit instead of preview before I finished my post.

What about Brave New World. I've heard of it before, but what does the story entail?
Sexual promiscuity, gratuitous consumerism, and drug abuse aren't just tolerated, they're encouraged. Still not convinced? Have another hit of Soma; you'll feel better.
That doesn't sound like one of the best places to live, but it doesn't sound like a dystopia to me either.
General Soontir Fel
Padawan Learner

Post by General Soontir Fel »

Anomie wrote:Sorry I hit submit instead of preview before I finished my post.

What about Brave New World. I've heard of it before, but what does the story entail?
That doesn't sound like one of the best places to live, but it doesn't sound like a dystopia to me either.
It's a dystopia because they outlawed sexual reproduction and free thought, and because of the caste system, where the majority of people are borderline mental retards with just enough intelligence to perform menial tasks. And if you disagree (that is, if you're one of the upper caste who is able to disagree, you are shipped off to a reservation.
Jesse Helms died on the 4th of July and the nation celebrated with fireworks, BBQs and a day off for everyone. -- Ed Brayton, Dispatches from the Culture Wars

"And a force-sensitive mandalorian female Bountyhunter, who is also the granddaughter of Darth Vader is as cool as it can get. Almost absolute zero." -- FTeik
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

General_Soontir_Fel wrote: where the majority of people are borderline mental retards
So, I must ask you. How is that any different from today's society?
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Trytostaydead wrote: So, I must ask you. How is that any different from today's society?
No, like physically borderline mentally retarded, not ideologically or ignorantly. The caste system deprives oxygen to lower caste members to inhibit their growth and produce half-retarded slaves in the Epsilon and Delta castes, and then brainwashing repetition makes everyone happy to live in their caste- usually. If you aren't happy and you refuse to take Soma, you get shipped to a primitive Indian Reservation type of wild area.