Just saw the Animatrix on Cartoon Network

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

Just saw the Animatrix on Cartoon Network

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

Overall, I say it was much more coherent and interesting then the last two matrix films. Highlight of it was the Second Renissance in my opinion.
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.

-H.L. Mencken
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

I thought it was pretty sweet myself. The Second Ren. thing was very cool, I also liked the samurai kinda one, didn't manage to catch the name of that one though. The other ones did have some cool things about them though.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Did they show the Square CG one first? I only turned it on near the end of The Second Rennisance, P1.

Oh, and Peter Chung? Yeah, you still suck donkey balls. May your creative conciousness curl up into a ball and shrivel away. I hope you are banished from all forms of media.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Did they show the Square CG one first? I only turned it on near the end of The Second Rennisance, P1.

Oh, and Peter Chung? Yeah, you still suck donkey balls. May your creative conciousness curl up into a ball and shrivel away. I hope you are banished from all forms of media.
Which one did Chung do?
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

The Animatrix is definitely better than the last two films; they actually had fun with the idea of the Matrix and reality, unlike Reloaded and Revolutions.

Both of the Watanabe shorts were absolutely top-notch, in my opinion, as was Koji Morimoto's short (Beyond). The Second Renaissance shorts represented very fine storytelling, in my opinion, but it's rather difficult to get past the grating plot holes and irrationality of most of the stuff that happens in them.

Program and the Final Flight of the Osiris were OK, World Record was crap, and as I have said before, Matriculated was a festering, infected wound on the anus on anime and the best case yet made for locking Peter Chung up in a small room and never allowing him to ruin perfectly good pieces of paper again by adorning them with the visual abortions he has the gall to call "character designs."

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Did they show Detective Story? That one was crap.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Captain_Cyran wrote:
Which one did Chung do?
The last one. The one with the horrible animation and the trippy, pointless "plot".
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

They censored out a lot of 2nd Renaissance's coolness. Relatively annoying.

How can Detective Story not be liked? Do you also dislike Cowboy Bebop?
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
Captain_Cyran wrote:
Which one did Chung do?
The last one. The one with the horrible animation and the trippy, pointless "plot".
Its a shame too, its started out very promising in terms of art and potential story line. It all went downhill after they "jacked in".
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.

-H.L. Mencken
PrinceofLowLight
Jedi Knight

Post by PrinceofLowLight »

Detective Story, Beyond and Kid's Story were the best in my humble opinion. Matriculated had a neat concept (humans reprogramming machines to be their servants again? Neat! Why didn't they do that in the first place?) but got a little too uhh...off topic.
"Remember, being materialistic means never having to acknowledge your feelings"-Brent Sienna, PVP

"In the unlikely event of losing Pascal's Wager, I intend to saunter in to Judgement Day with a bookshelf full of grievances, a flaming sword of my own devising, and a serious attitude problem."- Rick Moen

SD.net Rangers: Chicks Dig It
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Second Renaissance was brilliant IMO.

FFoTO was a little too built on eye candy for me.

The rest was just odd.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

2nd. Ren. was pretty, I'll give it that much.

But some parts of it were fucking stupid beyond all belief.

"We're going to make sentient robots without any hardwired safeguards whatsoever! And then we're going to put them in a position where they could destroy us!"
"Our nukes have little to no effect on the machines, despite the fact that nuclear weapons produce really big EMPs when they detonate, and that nukes are the most powerful weapon on the planet!"
"Hey, let's completely destroy most life on Earth by permanently blocking out the sun!"
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

how about instead pf dark storm we detonate upper atmospheroc nukes amd fry every fucking circuit on the planet?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:how about instead pf dark storm we detonate upper atmospheroc nukes amd fry every fucking circuit on the planet?
Because that would be smart Colin...and in 2nd Ren, people are dumb.

Overall I liked Detective story the most , and Final Flight. One because I enjoyed the tale...and FFoTO just had some great eye candy.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

The Detective Story was the best one. Film noir in sci-fi settings is always a bonus. Final Flight of the Osiris was pretty trippy too. I honestly think i enjoyed the animatrix more than reloaded in some ways.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

I liked Watanabe's, the story about the runner was good if only because of the way it characterized the matrix, the agents and the people within the matrix.

Though second renaissance was a bit, how could they actually be so incredibly stupid? I mean that it really really really doesn't follow that you give robots working in factories AIs. It just turns the whole thing into a bit of Marx's history of the future.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

just saw it last night too, the 2nd Renissance in was indeed good and having never seen the last 2 films of the matrix itself.

the stuff was weird but interesting.
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
The Yosemite Bear

I like Detective story and the japanese one the best....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Second Renissance was one of the stupidest, most bullshit thing I have ever seen. They had dozens of fully sentient robots that got breaks PULLING blocks of a pyramid. WTF was that? The second part has thankfully mostly been blocked from my mind.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
The Yosemite Bear

That and other plot holes I disliked immensely....

kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Matriculation's very American style nuAnime is horrible.
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

kojikun wrote:Matriculation's very American style nuAnime is horrible.
Specifically, it's Peter Chung's "style." Every single person he designs is an ugly emaciated woman decked out in outfits a gay stripper wouldn't be caught dead in.

I swear he should have his hands cut off...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Additionally, I didn't like the Japanese Samurai one, but's that's only because I'm not a fan of Yoshiaki Kawajiri's work.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

The Prime Necromancer
Jedi Knight

Post by The Prime Necromancer »

Kid's Story, Detective Story, and Program I liked. I liked Osiris too, but I had seen it before. World Record I didn't care for.

Second Renaissance *could* have been good, but as others have expressed, the sheer stupidity and bullshit is so immense that it makes the act of enjoying it and having a brain incompatible.

As for the other two, I haven't watched them yet.
Is it a crime to try and learn the truth? Is it a sin to search for those things which you fear? My purpose in this world is knowledge, and the dissemination of it. And it is I who is to restore the fruits of my labors to the entire world. Wake up! Don’t be afraid of knowledge! Humans who loose the capacity to think become creatures whose existence has no value. Think, you humans who are split into two worlds! Unless you want the gulf between humans to expand into oblivion, YOU MUST THINK! - Schwarzwald
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

I liked The Second Renaissance... ;)

*myan*