Indomitus Rex (Jurassic World) VS King Kong

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Indomitus Rex (Jurassic World) VS King Kong

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

The King of Skull Island can dispatch vanilla Rexes without too much trouble, but how about a clever mutant Rex that can cloak and tank MAW shots?

Two primary scenarios to consider:

1. The I-Rex escapes as per JW, but instead of being a velociraptor trainer, Starlord is Kong's keeper on Isla Nublar and is forced to release him to hunt down the escaped Rex as per the film, which he diligently obliges in.

2. The I-Rex arrives in prime condition on Skull Island and takes the place of the local rexes stalking Ann Darrow and Kong. Not especially hungry, she nonetheless works out Kong's peculiar intent to protect her and decides to make sport out of both of them.

You can pick any licenced, official non-animated Kong other than Toho's, meaning that the O'Brien, Jackson and even that 70's Kong can be picked for this scenario, depending on which you like best. Who wins?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Indomitus Rex (Jurassic World) VS King Kong

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Honestly, while I'm not really familiar with every version of Kong, I'm inclined to say the Indominus Rex probably wins. Its big (about as big as Kong by the looks of things) and has much more fearsome armament, plus intelligence and stealth. If Kong were a tool-user it might be different, but I don't recall him being one.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Does the stealth count for much against Kong, come to think of it? Gorillas rely less on vision than humans and have much keener hearing and smelling, which the I-Rex can't mask.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

That's an interesting thought.

I don't know enough about gorilla senses to say how much effect the stealth would have.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I haven't seen Jurassic World, but didn't the I-Rex die to...a vanilla T-Rex?
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Ralin wrote:I haven't seen Jurassic World, but didn't the I-Rex die to...a vanilla T-Rex?
Not exactly

Rexie (supposedly the same specimen from the first film, making her a senior citizen in Tyrannosaur terms) had help from one of Starlord's Raptors and the Mosasaurus (the Mosasaur jumped out of her pool to fatally bite and drag down the I-rex, guess she smelled calamari.)
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Not only that, but in the preceding eight-hour period the I-Rex had been hunting all the island's herbivores and taking some hits along the way, like the ankylosaur we see clubbing it, as well as being shot up by dozens of heavily armed soldiers wielding everything from automatic weapons to anti-tank explosives before finally being ambushed by a pack of raptors. Only then does grandma Rex get a shot at her, with her raptor sidekick and the mosasaur's help.

For my part, Kong is simply too strong and durable to fall to her in the first scenario. I don't believe he can be ambushed and his arms are still longer than hers, so he can pick how the battle is joined and carry it out mostly entirely on his terms. In the second scenario, however, if the I-Rex can discern that Kong will put himself in harm's way to protect Darrow, she can wear him down and bleed him out over time.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

TithonusSyndrome wrote: For my part, Kong is simply too strong and durable to fall to her in the first scenario. I don't believe he can be ambushed and his arms are still longer than hers, so he can pick how the battle is joined and carry it out mostly entirely on his terms. In the second scenario, however, if the I-Rex can discern that Kong will put himself in harm's way to protect Darrow, she can wear him down and bleed him out over time.

I agree.

Kong took a lot of bites from Vastatosaurus rex and doesn't appear to take any sort of debilitating damage from them.

If he can take on three evolutionary descendants from T. Rex at the same time I think the odds are in Kongs favor against the I. Rex. I don't think the classic Kong movie of prying his opponent's jaw open will be as effective against I. Rex but I think Kong's sheer power will allow him to get the upper hand in this battle. He might have to resort to neck breaking instead of bludgeoning, or the previously mentioned "Skull Island Face Spliter" move in order to win.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

It takes falling off the Empire State Building to kill King Kong, after being shot up by WW1 era fighter planes
He scaled the Empire State Building with the ease I walk up a single step
They can't have been feeding Kong properly when that happened. He did that while tired, semi-starved, and in the case of the Jackson version, while freezing cold.

V. Rex looks to be bigger and more powerful then I.Rex
I. Rex couldn't handle fighting a single 'senior citizen' T-Rex being helped by a Raptor, and The T-Rex only needed help cause of I.Rex's arms.
I.Rex might have working arms, but those do not look very strong.
Kong has longer arms, and he's a blood ape, meaning his muscle density is incredible high. Odds are, he's alot stronger then the I.Rex

Odds are Kong is going to kill the I-Rex for looking at his girlfriend funny.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Well, we know the Toho version would easily cubstomp Indomitus Murdersaurus Rex seeing as it took on Godzilla and won, so no surprise it's not allowed :P

Even so, I'd still say King Kong takes this one for the aforementioned reasons, unless Murdersaurus happens to inflict a bite which causes a bleed out.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Tribble wrote:Well, we know the Toho version would easily cubstomp Indomitus Murdersaurus Rex seeing as it took on Godzilla and won, so no surprise it's not allowed :P

Even so, I'd still say King Kong takes this one for the aforementioned reasons, unless Murdersaurus happens to inflict a bite which causes a bleed out.

If you go with King Kong vs. Godzilla Kong he's just ridiculously huge so he could easily pound I. Rex into the ground. It's not like I. Rex is Godzilla or even Gorosaurus in size.

The De Laurentis' Kong and the Kong of King Kong Escapes are both around double size (at least) so it would be kind of like a super modified movie velociraptor versus standard Kong at best.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Tribble wrote:Well, we know the Toho version would easily curbstomp Indomitus Murdersaurus Rex seeing as it took on Godzilla and won, so no surprise it's not allowed :P

Nothing like taking a few shots of atomic breath to prove one's durability.

The GFan in me has to state that Godzilla's atomic breath was much more powerful in later movies and that's before the Godzilla wank-a-thon retrospective that Final Wars was. Basically any Godzilla from Godzilla Returns (Godzilla 1985) on would have seriously fucked up, if not blown a hole clean through, an ape of comparable size to the Kong in King Kong vs. Godzilla.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Kong has superior intelligence, better mobility and better ways to employ his leverage and possibly higher strength. Very rarely does that constellation work out for the other force.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Replicant
Padawan Learner

Post by Replicant »

Tribble wrote:Well, we know the Toho version would easily cubstomp Indomitus Murdersaurus Rex seeing as it took on Godzilla and won, so no surprise it's not allowed :P

considering how poor the damage seems to be in any of the JP movies when a Rex bites something I am guessing they genetically modified them to have weak bite strength and poor teeth. So that should also benefit Kong.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Replicant wrote:considering how poor the damage seems to be in any of the JP movies when a Rex bites something I am guessing they genetically modified them to have weak bite strength and poor teeth. So that should also benefit Kong.
Would make sense really that they might engineer them to be less dangerous. Look how dangerous Rhinos and Elephants are without a hunger for flesh or sharp teeth. The mutant dinos do want to eat people. So when whipping them up in the ol' DNA blender they'd probably engineer them to still look dangerous but be less dangerous then they should be.

I just wonder why they'd leave the spitting dinosaur thing the ability to spit goop but maybe they didn't consider it too much of a threat if one escaped unless you were trapped by it and that would be unlikely to happen on a populated island with a security force.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

considering how poor the damage seems to be in any of the JP movies when a Rex bites something
That is actually my only gripe with JP3. I found the movie to be overall very fun but I will never forgive the filmmakers for the Spinosaurus fight. One does not simply shrug off a neck bite from a T-rex.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Having rewatched the Kong/Rex fight on Youtube... There's a couple things to keep in mind.

Much of the fight Kong is advantaged in some way- notably that the Rexes seem far more intent on getting Darrow than fighting Kong. They repeated snap at her instead of Kong. Had they decided to focus on Kong he'd have taken significantly more damage. Terrain is also extremely ape friendly at times.

Kong also uses his arms (and feet) to headlock or otherwise engage the head of a Rex. Indeed the final Rex is killed because with both arms to focus on it's head, Kong pretty much owns it. A headlocked Rex is more or less unable to attack.

I'm not sure about the first scenario but in the second, especially if Kong is down an arm keeping Darrow safe, he's possibly in trouble. For example, replacing the V.Rex with I.Rex in the first instance might result in Kong being able to grab the Indominous' throat and keep it's head away but his arm is going to be in prime clawing territory. Maybe not disable the arm (Kong does wear a VRex bite to his elbow) but damage (and blood loss) adds up for anyone and those claws were sufficient to down a Apatosaurus. Later we see Kong headlock a Rex while holding Darrow away. Again, this would open his back and side/belly to being clawed at. In short the murdersaurus has 3 ways to damage Kong- using one arm to hold its head away doesn't neutralise its threat. Not saying it's a guaranteed win for the dino, but I think handicapped it has a good shot.
Dragon Clan Veritech
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Borgholio wrote:That is actually my only gripe with JP3. I found the movie to be overall very fun but I will never forgive the filmmakers for the Spinosaurus fight. One does not simply shrug off a neck bite from a T-rex.
This. A thousand times this.

And then Jurassic World had to go and explain the marketing of the franchise: "Need more teeth!"
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

I just wonder why they'd leave the spitting dinosaur thing the ability to spit goop but maybe they didn't consider it too much of a threat if one escaped unless you were trapped by it and that would be unlikely to happen on a populated island with a security force.
Explained in the novel - they didn't realise they could do it until fairly late in the park's progression, and when they tried surgically removing the venom sacs, the dino died. And those are expensive animals.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin