Starcraft novels

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Starcraft novels

Post by FaxModem1 »

So far, we have three stacraft novels, they are

Liberty's Crusade
Shadow of the Xel'Naga
and the third one I forget the name, but it was good.

Now my questions are:

How canon are these books?

SotX was written by KJA, and it seemed to have no soul, anyone else find any problems with it(besides it being written by KJA)

Which is your favorite?Why?
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Re: Starcraft novels

Post by Kuja »

FaxModem1 wrote:How canon are these books?
I have not read any of the books, but I believe they overrule the games.
JADAFETWA
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

They aren't canon, only official.

However, since all the SC novels are festering piles of CRAP, I think they should be disregarded entirely.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Silver
Youngling

Post by Silver »

Didn't one of the books have the zerg getting killed by farmers with pitchforks? :roll:
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Silver wrote:Didn't one of the books have the zerg getting killed by farmers with pitchforks? :roll:
Well a zergling was killed by something like a jeap going at 40-60km/h in an in game cut scene
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Captain tycho
Has Elected to Receive

Post by Captain tycho »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:They aren't canon, only official.

However, since all the SC novels are festering piles of CRAP, I think they should be disregarded entirely.
Acutally, they weren't too bad. Except for KJA's.
Captain Tycho!
The worst fucker ever!
The Best reciever ever!
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Does KJA hate sci-fi or something? Is this asshole on a crusade to fuck with every franchise i love? Can someone kill him already i'll pay good.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Darth Pounder wrote:Does KJA hate sci-fi or something?
He just has no idea how to write well and no understanding at all of the universes he writes in.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

In other words, he's just a whore who puts words on paper for money.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:In other words, he's just a whore who puts words on paper for money.
Pretty much.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Singular Quartet wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:In other words, he's just a whore who puts words on paper for money.
Pretty much.
Worse yet, he gets his hands on some prime material...seriously he has to have the best of luck for himself and shit for anyone who reads it.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

That's insulting and demeaning to whore's everywhere.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Stormbringer wrote:
That's insulting and demeaning to whore's everywhere.
Sorry if I offended you. :wink:
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Captain tycho wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:They aren't canon, only official.

Acutally, they weren't too bad. Except for KJA's.
KJA didn't write any of them.
JADAFETWA
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

I think it's pretty safe to say that they're official. For anyone who has these books, can you post any interesting technical information from them? There's hardly any concrete information in other sources.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

You can kill Zerglings with farming equipment ^_^
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Jim Raynor wrote:I think it's pretty safe to say that they're official. For anyone who has these books, can you post any interesting technical information from them? There's hardly any concrete information in other sources.
I've got LIBERTY'S CRUSADE and I'm about halfway through.

Right now, I'm able to say with certainty that both the Terran Confederacy and the Protoss are able to BDZ unshielded planets, although the Protoss' method is far superior.
JADAFETWA
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

IG-88E wrote:
Jim Raynor wrote:I think it's pretty safe to say that they're official. For anyone who has these books, can you post any interesting technical information from them? There's hardly any concrete information in other sources.

Right now, I'm able to say with certainty that both the Terran Confederacy and the Protoss are able to BDZ unshielded planets, although the Protoss' method is far superior.
Really? SWEET!
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
Darth_Shinji
BANNED

Post by Darth_Shinji »

IG-88E wrote:

They can also reteraform said bdz worlds in a econimcal afordible and "short" period of time (years).
Village Idiot: "Or why one person opinion's of another person doesn't mean squat in the large scheme of things"

"You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because your all the same."

"A Eater of the Sacred Cow"

"Mother Fucking Team Wrecker"
General G
Youngling

Post by General G »

KJA didn't write any of them
He wrote the second one.
Former Ruler of the Terran Alliance
Member of the Iron Brigade.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Well the Terran method is to just throw large numbers of nuclear weapons at the planet in question. The Protoss use some sort of specialized equipment for it, either an entirely new ship or a weapon on the carriers that for some reason can't be used ship-to-ship.
He wrote the second one.
Under a pseudonym, tricky bastard.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Sorry if I offended you. :wink:
Shut the fuck up you little bastard. :)
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I dont recall which book this is from anymore but.......

Pull back to a safe distance. Scan on Maximum." said Mengsk. "Gentlemen, you may remain if you want to see the last act of this particularly tawdry passion play."

Neither Mike nor Raynor moved, and Mengsk turned back to the screen. The huge orange ball of Mar Sara loomed over them, a few white clouds scattered high across it's northern hemisphere. Yet most of the orange surface was now mottled, spoiled. Overrun by the creep, and the things that lived in it.

The very surface of the land seemed to pulsate and bubble, heaving like a living being. The creep had even spread over the oceans in broad mats, writhing like living carpets of algae.

There was nothing human left on the planet. Not alive, at any rate. A flash blossomed to one side of the planetary disk, and Mike knew that the Protoss had arrived. Their Lightning ships warped into being. A flash of blue-white electricity, and then they were there. The golden carriers with their moth attendants, and metallic bat-winged creations that wove among the larger ships. They were breathtaking and deadly, forces of war raised to the level of an art form.

Mengsk spoke softly into his throat mike, and Mike could feel the engines engage. The terrorist leader was prepared to get out at the first sight that the Protoss had nocited them.

He need not have worried. The Protoss were completely intent on the diseased planet beneath them. Hatchways opened up in the bottoms of the larger ships, and great beams of energy, so intense as to be colorless, lanced downward toward the surface. The aliens laid down a withering barrage against the planet beneath. Where the energy beams struck, they burned. The sky itself curdled as the beams pirced through the atmospheric envlope. Air itself was torn away from the planet by the force of the blows. And where the Beams struck the surface, they erupted, boiling the ground where they struck, uprooting both the creep-infested lands and those that had not yet been infecte. Deadly rainbow radiation, more brilliant that Mike had ever seen, spiraled out from the impact points, churning earth and water mercilessly, distorting the matter of the planet itself.

Then other ships began firing thinner beams with surgical accuracy, adding to the barrage in places. The cities, Mike realized, They were targeting the cities and making sure that nothing could survive there. Any place of human settlement, including, he knew, the Jacobs Installation itself.

They had cut their timing very close indeed, he thought, and his stomach gave an uneasy lurch.

One of the pulsating beams punched through the crust itself, and the ground erupted in a volcanic upwelling. Magma pushed to the surface, consuming everything that had been uprooted by the energy beams. Most of the world's atmosphere was burning now, torn away from the orb in a veil that trailed it in orbit, and what was left spiraled in hurricanes and tornadoes, until destroyed by more beams. Now, red volcanic glows covered the northern hemisphere of Mar Sara like welts. The remainder of the land heaved in a deadly rainbow. Nothing could survive the assault, human or otherwise.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Really? SWEET!
Yeah, I just finished it. Not a bad book, all in all.
SylasGaunt wrote:
He wrote the second one.
Under a pseudonym, tricky bastard.
Why that sonuva... :evil:
I dont recall which book this is from anymore but.......
'tis from Liberty's Crusade.
JADAFETWA
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Info on the Terran BDZ:

"We nuked Korhal IV from orbit.

"Apocalypse-class missiles. About a thousand of them. Some green-tagged idiot on Tarsonis pressed a button, and 35 million people became nothing more than vapor and their homes nothing more than memory.

"Naturally, there were official justifications thereafter about the evil, menacing nature of Korhal, and how they were planning to do it to us if they got the slightest chance. It was unfortunate that the proof of this accusation was located on a planet covered by blackened glass."

However, the Terran BDZ is apparently imperfect:

"Atomic delivery systems leave blackened glass and burning forests. Even Korhal had some surviving pockets of clear terrain, for a while at least."

How large these pockets were and how long they lasted is never explained.

Now, info on the afteraffects of Protoss BDZ:

Then Mike realized that this was the surface of Chau Sara he was looking at. It glowed with rippling bands of color, moored at a handful of locations by bright spikes of orange.

"What..." Mike blinked. "What did this?"

"First contact, Liberty," the Colonel said. "First contact of the most extreme kind. How are the scans?"

One of the technicians reported, "I get no life readings. Most of the surface area has been liquified and sterilized. This zone looks to be between twenty and fifty feet deep."

"The settlements?" Mike asked.

The technician continued, "The orange spikes appear to be magma breaches through the planetary mantle. They are located at the locations of the settlements." A pause. "Plus a dozen other locations."

Mike looked at the swirling, deadly rainbow on the screen. The sun was cresting the horizon ahead of them, and the world looked no better in the sunlight. Only a few dark clouds, thin as crow feathers, dragged across the sunlit side.

"In addition, eighty percent of the atmosphere has been blown off in the attack," the technician continued.
JADAFETWA