In Time (Spoilers)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Zor
Sith Acolyte

In Time (Spoilers)

Post by Zor »

Did anyone else see that film?

Basic Plot Rundown: Its the Future and people don't age past 25. After which, you start burning Time. Good news is that if you can keep this topped up you can live forever. Bad news, if you run out you drop dead. And Time has become the currency. Rich get to live forever, poor literally live day to day and die young. A guy in the Ghetto played by Justin Timberlake one day finds himself the owner of a Century and circumstances lead him to be persued by the law, hooks up with a rich girl and play robin hood/Bonnie and Clyde.

I rather enjoyed it, it was a good action peice and the plot and acting was pretty good. Also enjoyed the exploration of the world that this movie has created for itself with the Sci-Fi idea of hours of your life being the form of cash. Its done by the guy who did GATTACA and Lord of War, both of which i rather enjoyed (especially the latter).
Spoiler
Mind you i did that towards the bit towards the end rather silly. Basically the Two Leads are running to get more time from a hidden stash after the big heist of a Million Years while their clocks run down to the last second. This whole damn thing could have been avoided by skimming a day or two off the top of that million years.
Also Amanda Seyfried is Hot.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Re: In Time (Spoilers)

Post by lordofchange13 »

How do the people go about adding Time to their lives?
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

By working.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

neoolong wrote:By working.
No, I mean what process allows them to control how long they live, nanobots in the blood, vitality field, genetic engineering, magic?

EDIT:oh i see, it's just handwaved. alright, i plan on seeing this weekend either way, looks like a fun flick.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.
Tritio
Padawan Learner

Post by Tritio »

I watched it last week and found it to be a good movie. It has an interesting concept, and executes it well without being too over-the-top. I found the parallels between the fictional time system and today's economic system to be quite obvious as well. The rich live lives of opulence, tucked away in zones which have a significant barrier to entry, while the poor lived from day to day in much worse conditions and the story is about breaking that system.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

hum only bad thing about 25 years is alot of the scientist and engineers that make the most contributation are older. Hell look at Einstein, Tessla even Ford all were over 25 when they came up with their best ideas.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

dragon wrote:hum only bad thing about 25 years is alot of the scientist and engineers that make the most contributation are older. Hell look at Einstein, Tessla even Ford all were over 25 when they came up with their best ideas.
If Einstein and co had stopped ageing at 25 do you think they would not have had those ideas?

Its just keeping people at their physical prime not stopping them thinking.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

No, Bedlam, Dragon's point is that if they'd died at 25 they never would have innovated and created what they did. Putting a cap that you have to earn against disincentivizes idle research. Its a society with literally no free time.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
JediToren
Padawan Learner

Post by JediToren »

I saw it and thought it was okay. I love all of Andrew Niccol's work (he also wrote the script for The Truman Show) but this one was just a little too thinly veiled and heavy handed.

The best scene is the one where Timberlake's character goes "all in" during the high stakes power game.
The death of his mother is particularly good. When she gets on the bus and realizes she is going to die, and the scene where they both run towards each other but she dies too soon.

Really any scene where you can sense the urgency and desperation of the characters is pretty good.

When the dialogue starts, it's really heavy handed, even if what they are saying is pretty accurate.

Today I watched the documentary "Blue Gold" about privatization of water resources. A lot of similarities between the two. "In Time" doesn't sound too far out.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I saw it, it was okay as a light fare sci-fi casual action movie, but seemed sub-par compared to the guy's other more renowned works like Gattaca and Lord of War. He totally homaged himself with that beach swimming scene. :P

I dunno, he made a more compelling movie with Gattaca, without having to use gunfights and all that shit. Cillian's talents were kinda wasted in this film.

It was fun, but I think he could've done much better.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Cillian's death was the only thing that really pissed me off in the movie, because it seemed completely unnecessary and pointless for a guy to FORGET the thing that keeps him alive.
ImageImage
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

It was a pretty poopy way to end him, yeah. There could've been more ways for them to make it all more emotionally significant and resonant and awesome. I mean, Gattaca was really emotionally significant and resonant and awesome, but all it had was bags of pee and blood. But I guess, lol gunfights and car chases.

Gattaca shows us that if you trade gunfights and car chases for characterization and story, you will get a superior product.

Not that In Time was bad. It was just... average. And now knowing that it was the same director (in the theater, I was thinking that it was a different director who was blatantly homaging Gattaca), you'd think he could've done better.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

It strains my credulity that they could not remotely deactivate the time chip thingy. You know, like what can be done if I had the misfortune to lose my smart phone. Surely thats easier than relying on huge vaults. There's a bunch of other glaring holes (how the heck did they get back to the ghetto past concrete barriers the first time? And the cops lack even the most basic helicopters or car stopping weaponry?)

Still, obvious allegory is obvious, and the movie was fun overall.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
JediToren
Padawan Learner

Post by JediToren »

You also have to wonder why no on has apparently hacked their clocks. You would think that, rather than playing Bonnie and Clyde/Robin Hood they would figure out how to break the system by giving people as much time as they want.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

JediToren wrote:You also have to wonder why no on has apparently hacked their clocks. You would think that, rather than playing Bonnie and Clyde/Robin Hood they would figure out how to break the system by giving people as much time as they want.
Mostly likely that is not possible and Time actually is a physical object of some sort. If it was possible to do so, the clocks would be rather pointless.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

I figured it was something secure and rather unhackabe like bitcoins. Granted, I don't actually know what bitcoins are, but it seemed to fit.
ImageImage