SyFy cancels Eureka

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Johonebesus
Jedi Master

SyFy cancels Eureka

Post by Johonebesus »

Yet another fun show cancelled to make more room for wrestling and ghosts and "SyFy Original Movies." What is wrong with these channels that they think the key to success is to make themselves into yet another iteration of TBS or Discovery of a mongrel of both?

I didn't know which source would be best, so here's Reuters:

Syfy Cancels 'Eureka,' After All
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Re: SyFy cancels Eureka

Post by neoolong »

All the channels on cable, and you get 19 shows about pawnshops. It's an actual genre at this point.

Making something original is hard, copying what already "works" is easier. That's what's wrong.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

Science fiction is expensive and has a narrow appeal. A camera crew following a group of guys around is cheap and has a much wider appeal. It's even cheaper if they don't travel.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Yeah, but this is supposed to be a science-fiction and fantasy channel. If I want to watch wrestling, and I don't, I'll go to ESPN or something.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Well, that sucks. I just recently watched the series up to the first half of season four, and I really enjoyed the series. I'll miss the it.

But at the same, it's getting a five season run. For a speculative fiction series, that's nothing to be ashamed of. The genre is littered with the corpses of shows that never made it that far.

In the end, I think lasting five seasons is an accomplishment by it's self.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Alphas is starting to beat it in the ratings, but still seems like SyFy doesn't want to pay for a scripted show past 5 seasons anymore. Don't get what their execs want, they drop more serious grim dark drama for free good comedy that most other channels do better (most of USA network is like that). Other than cast salary going up not seeing how it's so expensive, they rarely leave their set pieces and the rest is done outside, the CGI is rare and not that crazy.

Not liking the direction network and cable is going, reality tv is so formulaic it's rare for me to be interested in 1 or 2 of that style a season. The show was also making a nice turn towards a serious season arc and it gets plugged, I just don't get it. Ah well as long as pay cable has a nice spread of shows throughout the year I'm slowly moving away from network programming. Just waiting for reality tv to fizzle out or at least take less priority over good scripted entertainment.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

A friend of mine, when I complained about Syfy's direction in airing wrestling and reality TV shows, said it was justified in that Syfy was earning itself money so that it could produce quality programming for the network. Well, that would be well and good if they had quality stuff to air, and this just proves that they don't care about that.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

As a concept Eureka can only do so much. I love the show, but it is pretty repetitive, so I'd like them to end on a high note. And if they've got a final season they can plan as being the last, they can do something exceptionally epic to end the series. As a show, it was never something that could last as long as something like Stargate. It's generally why they handled seasons 3 and 4 as four separate seasons as far as plot and organization.
TeufelIV
Youngling

Post by TeufelIV »

Sounds like the fate of several good sci-fi shows.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

TeufelIV wrote:Sounds like the fate of several good sci-fi shows.
At least they got further than Firefly and Stargate: Universe. The former didn't even manage to finish its first season (making it the most prematurely cancelled show in recent history, IMHO), and the latter was cancelled after Season 2. I didn't even hear about SGU until a month or so before the studio killed it, and the only reason I did hear about it was because they released the season pilots as freebies on iTunes.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Five seasons is the magic number for syndication and sale to foreign markets.

Few Sci-fi series last that long but the way the Idiot-name channel is going on, it will soon be all wrestling/fantasy and very little sci-fi.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Thanas wrote:Five seasons is the magic number for syndication and sale to foreign markets.

Few Sci-fi series last that long but the way the Idiot-name channel is going on, it will soon be all wrestling/fantasy and very little sci-fi.
I think it'ss be more of a megashark vs octopus channel more than anything else. They love their rediculous made for tv movies. I love that they get old child stars to do them, I mean Jaleel White in a shark attack movie? What could go wrong?
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I wrote the director of programming on SyFy asking him to turn over all the made-for-tv-movies to the MST3K guys.

I never heard back.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
TeufelIV
Youngling

Post by TeufelIV »

Eh true if it made it that long that is a decent run.
EmperorChrostas the Cruel
Rabid Monkey

Post by EmperorChrostas the Cruel »

The channel is in serious decline.
I guess after the Mansquito, it is all down hill. :mrgreen:
Hmmmmmm.

"It is happening now, It has happened before, It will surely happen again."
Oldest member of SD.net, not most mature.
Brotherhood of the Monkey
Aufbruch
Redshirt

Post by Aufbruch »

Eh, the beginning of the decline for me were the cancellations of MST3K and Farscape. I know Farscape lasted a few years longer than MST3K, but the late 90s really were a kind of golden age for the network.

The last gem they produced was the "Lost Room" mini series, which they turned into an annoyingly self conscious and hyper-hipster Friday the 13th clone.

Hearing that they were planning to air Law and Order SVU reruns was part of what made me decide to shut off my cable--Hell, _History_ channel shows more science fiction than Syfy does these days--its become not so much about "History" so much as it is "stuff that probably never happened"(Conspiracy/Bible crap) interspersed with "stuff that will probably never happen"(Conspiracy/Bible prophecy crap).

I predict that History Channel will eventually follow Siffy's lead and start calling itself "The H" sometime soon.