Other vs Debate websites

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Gurgeh
Padawan Learner

Other vs Debate websites

Post by Gurgeh »

So I am trying to find a good vs Debate website I have only found one but that is just not enough http://forums.spacebattles.com. I have found factpile but I don't know if you can post your own vs Debate. I would like to know are there any others around? Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Re: Other vs Debate websites

Post by Darth Tedious »

What about this one? :D
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Gurgeh
Padawan Learner

Post by Gurgeh »

Darth Tedious wrote:What about this one? :D
it's ok. But I don't think it is the best in my mind. I joined this one because I have heard about this site so I wanted to see what it was like.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

He probably means a website where any or all of these (in any possible combination) are true:
a) The debate still actually lasts and is not confined to the rare person once every few months that gets beaten and newer heard from again.
b) The community is not intellectual and skilled enough to use the methods we do thus the debate is not as one sided as it realistically ought to be and is here.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

If you're interested in general sci-fi debates as well as inter-universe vs you should try DITL. The latter are banned, but there's plenty of good examples of the former.
Luke Skywalker
Padawan Learner

Post by Luke Skywalker »

KMC forums (dying), that Naruto battleground forums (but they are largely idiots), Starfleet jedi (populated by pro Trek debaters)
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Liberals opposed slavery, supported labor protection laws, supported civil rights, supported Womens' right, opposed the spoils system, supported Scientific advancement and research and support gay marriage. Conservatives did the opposite. Guess which side has the intellectual, forward thinking progressives, and which side has rich fundamentalist anti-gay white slave owners?
the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

CBUB. Similar in nature to Spacebattles and Stardestroyer. More comic book type discussions, but much less traffic, and fewer intelligent debaters. Still some good discussion to be found though.
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..."
Gurgeh
Padawan Learner

Post by Gurgeh »

Most of what I am looking for is a lot of traffic and a lot of members that discuss vs debates. I think Spacebattles is the only site that does that.
The Reaper
Redshirt

Post by The Reaper »

After visiting some of those other websites....OW, my brain hurts. :banghead:
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite signature on the Internet.

There is only WAAAAGGHHH!
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

What's the motivation to look for vs websites anyway? What's the benefit you get over a regular forum full of nerds?
ChosenOne54
Padawan Learner

Post by ChosenOne54 »

Generally, in most forums, you get raped/flamed/whipped if you dare to post a vs. thread of any kind. :mrgreen:
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Or you simply get pointed to the appropriate rule and, depending on whether or not the vs nature is fundamental to the thread, it's either locked or gets steered towards the non-vs aspect.
ChosenOne54
Padawan Learner

Post by ChosenOne54 »

Some forums are more lenient than others. But in some, I've seen people permabanned instantly for making one!
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

ChosenOne54 wrote:Some forums are more lenient than others. But in some, I've seen people permabanned instantly for making one!
Where was that and what were the circumstances? No competent Mod would do anything remotely close to that as a first offence. If, however, they'd already pissed everyone off and had been told "one more stunt like that and you're out", then I don't see the issue.
ChosenOne54
Padawan Learner

Post by ChosenOne54 »

Facepunch, though the thread got deleted and I can't link to it anymore.

There may have been other circumstances prior to the thread that led to it however; perhaps the OP was a recurring troll. I didn't look too far into it.
Gurgeh
Padawan Learner

Post by Gurgeh »

Anyone know of any others?
Gurgeh
Padawan Learner

Post by Gurgeh »

I also want to post on the main site of factpile but for some reason none will let me and I don't know how to do that but how do I post on Factpile?
DrStrangelove
Youngling

Post by DrStrangelove »

Factpile is a waste of time.
1. no forum software, means no quote or picture functionality which makes replying to spirited debate a chore and the limit on hotlinks per post makes presenting evidence difficult and frustrating
2. no real moderation, with all the drama that provides
3. And probably the biggest for you, you cant make your threads on factpile, you have to petition an admin to make a thread for you.

If you still want to post there you need to click the registration tab near the top
I'm not interested in preserving the status quo; I want to overthrow it. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli
You don't know the power of the dark side~ Darth Vader
Gurgeh
Padawan Learner

Post by Gurgeh »

DrStrangelove wrote:Factpile is a waste of time.
1. no forum software, means no quote or picture functionality which makes replying to spirited debate a chore and the limit on hotlinks per post makes presenting evidence difficult and frustrating
2. no real moderation, with all the drama that provides
3. And probably the biggest for you, you cant make your threads on factpile, you have to petition an admin to make a thread for you.

If you still want to post there you need to click the registration tab near the top
It does suck. It would be nice though if you can post your own vs debates like as if you are now without having to ask the admin.