Liz Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith) is dead.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Liz Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith) is dead.

Post by NecronLord »

BBC

Posted without substantial comment. It seems like there shall be no season five of the Sarah Jane Smith adventures after all.

The universe seems that little darker now.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Liz Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith) is dead.

Post by Crazedwraith »

Damn. :cry:
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Aww, i liked her :( It's always the good ones that have to go.
My condolences to her family, friends and loved ones.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Damn, I never even knew she was ill.

Well that sucks :(

She was one of my favourite companions as well, and I will shamelessly admit to watching SJA avidly despite being 16-19 when it was on.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

What a shame. Britain has truly lost one of it's finest actress's.

Requiescat in pace, Elisabeth. May you travel on with William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, and Jon Pertwee around time and Space with the TARDIS for all of eternity.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

I had no idea that she was ill. None. They kept that one very close to the vest. Obviously, she decided to keep working for as long as she could rather than go through treatments that might not have extended her life that much and would have wasted her away, instead to make the most of the time she had left.

Sarah-Jane is gone.

Damn.

And Tom Baker gets to bury another friend. This one's going to hit him hard.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Holy shit...I also had no idea she had any problems. RIP. :(
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Gurachn
Redshirt

Post by Gurachn »

That absolutely sucks.
I liked her a lot.
"Those who cannot defend their freedom are not truly free.
At best they are merely fortunate."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Shew as the first companion I ever knew. A great lady has passed.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I just got an email from my dad...he had a huge crush on her in the 70s...
I'm in shock. She had cancer?
She was a legend, I thought she was an amazing actress. She died on my birthday...
RIP, Elizabeth Sladen. You were a true great.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Damn, I never saw her stuff from the 80s, but I loved her in the new show and on SJA.
dworkin
Jedi Master

Post by dworkin »

Don't abandon democracy folks, or an alien star-god may replace your ruler. - NecronLord
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Christ, I actually just cried a little...
I wonder how DWM will cover her passing.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Fucking hell, I want to throw up. :(

I was less shocked about Pete Postlethwaite dying after seeing him not looking too good in The Town, eighty somethings such as Leslie Nielsen and Nicholas Courtney passing away is sad but more expected, but a late middle aged Elizabeth Sladen who still seemed quite sprightly and not so old playing Sarah Jane Smith in recent years just passing away feels like it's in the same random, left-field WTF territory as Heath Ledger dying.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Big Orange wrote:Fucking hell, I want to throw up. :(

I was less shocked about Pete Postlethwaite dying after seeing him not looking too good in The Town, eighty somethings such as Leslie Nielsen and Nicholas Courtney passing away is sad but more expected, but a late middle aged Elizabeth Sladen who still seemed quite sprightly and not so old playing Sarah Jane Smith in recent years just passing away feels like it's in the same random, left-field WTF territory as Heath Ledger dying.
I agree, I think the fact that she was midway through filming SJA, and seemed to have the energy of a woman in her 40's, intensified it for me. She was a big part of Doctor Who's DNA, which was mostly why I held her in such high regard.
Postlethwaite, Nielsen, Taylor, Gough, now Sladen...mankind has lost some truly brilliant actors in the last few months. :(

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

I just echo everyone's comments. She was the first companion I remember and was a large part of my growing up. All a bit of a shock and extremely sad.
What is WRONG with you people
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Captain Spiro wrote:I agree, I think the fact that she was midway through filming SJA, and seemed to have the energy of a woman in her 40's, intensified it for me.(
Yeah, Sladen's enthusiasm and not coming across as doddery convinced me into assuming that Sladen could carry on with her Sarah Jane Smith role for two more decades easily, passing away at a similar age to Michael Gough, dying at 93 and not at the comparatively truncated age of 63. Elizabeth Taylor died at 79, but then considering having poor health in her youth and not exactly having a quiet life, it was amazing she lived that long and the same could easily go for Dennis Hopper.

Here's a phone interview by RTD - say what you will about Davies, but it was a very good call having her back and I assume that the completed S5 episodes of TSJA wouldn't be just be pissed up the wall, just that they should be broadcast with respect and then tied up with a final tribute.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Sarah Jane Smith was the first Doctor Who companion I became familiar with. I have among my memorabilia a photograph of her and Tom Baker from the Seeds of Death autographed by Baker. I had no idea she was so ill.

Like those who have gone before you, Liz Sladen is now truly with the Time Lords.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

I remember when Journey's End was broadcast, Sladen said in an interview that she felt that story would be the last time she would meet the Doctor. If she knew as far back as that interview that she was terminally ill, then she demonstrated an extraordinary level of courage in continuing to work until her final days. Either way, a terrible loss.
Big Orange wrote:Here's a phone interview by RTD - say what you will about Davies, but it was a very good call having her back and I assume that the completed S5 episodes of TSJA wouldn't be just be pissed up the wall, just that they should be broadcast with respect and then tied up with a final tribute.
It really depends what her family wants. If her husband and daughter decide they'd rather not have the remaining episodes shown, then I'm sure the BBC would lock the master tapes away in one of their vaults, never to be seen again.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Sladen and Baker were my introduction to Dr. Who and while I've come to enjoy the other Doctors and companions in many ways those two are the yardstick I compare the others to.

Had no idea she was ill, but good for her for continuing to live her life as long as she could.

She will be missed.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

LadyTevar wrote:Shew as the first companion I ever knew. A great lady has passed.
Mine too, damn, I loved Sarah Jane...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

I've only seen one Sarah Jane episode (the first time she appeared on the new Who) but damn, did she make an impact on me in that story. I'm quite shocked and upset. RIP.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

That K-9 picture was so sad. :(
I hope in series 7 of Doctor Who, she gets some kind of real mention, maybe an episode where the Doctor attends Sarah-Jane's funeral. If they got it right, I'd be a tearful mess for the next few hours.

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Broomstick wrote:*snip image*]
Damn, that made my cry a little :cry:
Well, i'll honor her by watching her re-debut episode and her show over the next few days. Oh, and she deserves a salute no matter how much she might dislike it.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)