Best scifi tank?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Srelex
Jedi Master

Best scifi tank?

Post by Srelex »

What vehicle that could reasonably qualify as a 'tank' be considered as the most overall effective in firepower, armor, speed, etc? Baneblades, Tau Hammerheads? SW hovertanks? Mammoth tanks? Just curious, as I was considering just how prolific fancy tanks can be in science fiction.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Re: Best scifi tank?

Post by Chaotic Neutral »

I'm gonna vote Basilisk, just because nothing says hello like an artillery barrage.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Chaotic Neutral wrote:I'm gonna vote Basilisk, just because nothing says hello like an artillery barrage.
Do you even know what defines a tank? :|
Last edited by Ritterin Sophia on 2010-09-30 09:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Sela
Padawan Learner

Post by Sela »

(Not a serious answer)

http://www.gurren-lagann.net/mecha/images/daigurren.gif

The DaiGurren. . . .beware the phallic imagery (SFW).
There is no surer aphrodisiac to a man than a woman who is interested in him.
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

General Schatten wrote:
Chaotic Neutral wrote:I'm gonna vote Basilisk, just because nothing says hello like an artillery barrage.
Do you even know what defines a tank? :|
Fine, I'm changing my answer to Manta.
Commander 598
Jedi Knight

Post by Commander 598 »

Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Chaotic Neutral wrote:Fine, I'm changing my answer to Manta.
Again, do you even know what defines a tank? Most artilleryman will take umbrage to you calling an SPH a tank, a tanker would do so probably as well.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

I'd actually contend maybe the Scorpion from Halo. Outwardly its design requires only one crewman, it has an automated, autoloading turret and the tank itself has a very low profile. With the turret designed in a perfect manner for hull-down fire. The quad-tread design would seem to make immobilizing it difficult since it can presumably still move and steer on one tread per side.

It's just too bad that Bungie designs everything in Halo like its the 1970s. We've never seen any advanced optics on the Scorpion like thermal scopes, or laser range finders. We also haven't seen any advanced protection systems like reactive armour.
Best care anywhere.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

I was expecting the first reply to this thread to be "Bolo".
CaptHawkeye wrote:I'd actually contend maybe the Scorpion from Halo. Outwardly its design requires only one crewman, it has an automated, autoloading turret and the tank itself has a very low profile. With the turret designed in a perfect manner for hull-down fire. The quad-tread design would seem to make immobilizing it difficult since it can presumably still move and steer on one tread per side.

It's just too bad that Bungie designs everything in Halo like its the 1970s. We've never seen any advanced optics on the Scorpion like thermal scopes, or laser range finders. We also haven't seen any advanced protection systems like reactive armour.
I'm not sure whether we can find a better one or not, but the Scorpion is mega-crap. Top speed on a road isn't much faster than a brisk walk, has a single 7.62mm machinegun and a 90mm main gun. It's a tank you'd expect to see in the late second world war, automation aside. Can also apparently get cleaned up by a couple of 100mm HEAT warheads (i.e. the rocket launcher, I forget what they are exactly), to the front armor.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

General Schatten wrote:
Again, do you even know what defines a tank? Most artilleryman will take umbrage to you calling an SPH a tank, a tanker would do so probably as well.
Now your just making things difficult. XV-88 it is then.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The Tsar from Battlezone. It hovers, it has a range of guns, a single crewman, etc. It's also sexy.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

adam_grif wrote:I'm not sure whether we can find a better one or not, but the Scorpion is mega-crap. Top speed on a road isn't much faster than a brisk walk, has a single 7.62mm machinegun and a 90mm main gun. It's a tank you'd expect to see in the late second world war, automation aside. Can also apparently get cleaned up by a couple of 100mm HEAT warheads (i.e. the rocket launcher, I forget what they are exactly), to the front armor.
The Scorpion would be tolerable as a light tank, if it weighed say 20 tonnes instead of the quoted 66 tonnes. Considering that it gets airlifted (from orbit!) by the Pelican, which is a hydrocarbon-powered VTOL smaller than a Hercules, I choose to believe that this is in fact the case and the weight in the tech manual is bullshit. As for the ludicrously slow speed, doesn't it go much faster in Halo Wars? Certainly I'd put that down to game mechanics. Although I guess the crew compartment design is still hopelessly awful. Ok maybe it isn't tolerable even then.

How about the 'patrol tanks' from the Tank Police anime? They looked fairly practical.
Last edited by Starglider on 2010-09-30 11:01pm, edited 2 times in total.
SapphireFox
Padawan Learner

Post by SapphireFox »

Surprised no one has mentioned the Bolo series yet. Nothing quite like an AI controlled mountian of metal with one or more giant plasma cannons on it to ruin your day. :D
You will see the tears of time.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

SapphireFox wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned the Bolo series yet.
Scroll up to my last post.

The Scorpion would be tolerable as a light tank, if it weighed say 20 tonnes instead of the quoted 66 tonnes. Considering that it gets airlifted (from orbit!) by the Pelican, which is a hydrocarbon-powered VTOL smaller than a Hercules, I choose to believe that this is in fact the case and the weight in the tech manual is bullshit.
Eh, I'm not so sure we can disregard canon on those grounds. I agree it's an immensely silly mass for it's performance capabilities of course.
As for the ludicrously slow speed, doesn't it go much faster in Halo Wars? Certainly I'd put that down to game mechanics.
I have never played it, but is Halo Wars more, less or on par with the canon of the other series? Because the Halo shooters on legendary difficulty are supposed to be "canonical", but it's not clear which parts are and which are not.
Although I guess the crew compartment design is still hopelessly awful. Ok maybe it isn't tolerable even then.
I can't quite remember properly on this part because I haven't played any of the games multi for a long time, but can't you get hit by gunfire while you're inside the tank?

According to halopedia, the tanks get taken out by 1 rocket, not the two I thought it took. So they're hopeless at resisting antitank fire.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

As I understood it from the interview, the Legendary difficulty is supposed to represent how difficult the fighting is supposed to be. it's not the end-all be-all of fluff and technical accuracy. For example, I'm pretty sure that Master Chief knew how to dual-wield pistols during the events of Halo 1, Warthogs aren't actually indestructible, and Marines riding on a tank do not actually have invincible knees.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Chaotic Neutral wrote:
General Schatten wrote:
Now your just making things difficult. XV-88 it is then.
So the answer is no, you're just an idiot.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Hawkwings wrote:As I understood it from the interview, the Legendary difficulty is supposed to represent how difficult the fighting is supposed to be.
Heroic is the way 'Halo is meant to be played' and I'm absolutely certain that if you went looking you'd find comments by the developers to the effect that Heroic is most representative of the Halo universe. Legendary is deliberate sadism.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Srelex wrote:What vehicle that could reasonably qualify as a 'tank' be considered as the most overall effective in firepower, armor, speed, etc? Baneblades, Tau Hammerheads? SW hovertanks? Mammoth tanks? Just curious, as I was considering just how prolific fancy tanks can be in science fiction.
JADAFETWA
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

wasn't the scorpion a bit faster i the first halo as well? in reach if you drive one in the race game-type is has a speedometer readout in kph, which IIRC worked out to around 35ish mph across forge world's terrain.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
dworkin
Jedi Master

Post by dworkin »

I'll always have a warm spot in my heart for the Shrek PPC carrier, a battletech tank with three particle cannon, each one capable of decapitating a battlemech. As with most canon designs it is skimpy on armour to preserve dominance of actual battlemechs but it is a beautiful thing all the same.

But yeah, I think the boys from the dinochrome brigade take it.
Don't abandon democracy folks, or an alien star-god may replace your ruler. - NecronLord
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The weight of the crew compartment hatch must have slowed it down. As Starglider says, it sort-of makes sense as an air-dropped light tank to fit with the Warthog in low-intensity warfare, but as a full-size MBT it sucks dogshit.

And why is it so hard to find a picture of the goddamn Czar? I'll have to make my own.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I have a soft spot for the panzers from David Drake's Hammer's Slammers series, myself. Quite respectable energy weapons, well protected, faster than just about any modern armored vehicle, and they come with their own very capable air defense, artillery defense, and active close quarters defense systems.

This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
CSJM
Padawan Learner

Post by CSJM »

How about the tank from this work? It's the Soviet cartoon Firing Range, or Polygon as some call it.
Controller Sean 'Jaguar' Mirrsen
Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Grand Master RtD GM.
GM of Multiworld Madness, a Roll to Dodge epic.
GM of Space Whaler Escape!, a Roll to Dodge survival/skirmish.
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Simon_Jester wrote:I have a soft spot for the panzers from David Drake's Hammer's Slammers series, myself. Quite respectable energy weapons, well protected, faster than just about any modern armored vehicle, and they come with their own very capable air defense, artillery defense, and active close quarters defense systems.
WTF? They put no less than four vulnerable grills on the side? At least the French had only one on their heavy tank :mrgreen: (yes, it's a model but fairly accurate):