StarGate Universe premiere 2 Oct (spoilers)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

dragon
Sith Marauder

StarGate Universe premiere 2 Oct (spoilers)

Post by dragon »

So who's going to watch it.
Since I'm stuck here where I can't get make sure you guys post spoilers.
Fans of the popular Stargate series will be glad to know it is the Premiere of the new television show titled “Stargate Universe” tonight in the US. The series will start with an episode called “Air” which consists of 3 parts, with the first two parts showing tonight and the third continued next week. If you read our post early last month, you can see what a few of the cast thought about the new series.

If you are unaware of what the new Stargate series is all about, head on over to daemonstv.com where they have written up a quick Q&A about the television show.

You may want to know what the premise is and how it is related to the past Stargate shows amongst other questions, please view the above the link.

The premiere of the new Stargate series can be watched tonight in the U.S. at 9/8c on Syfy, and at 9e on SPACE for Canadian viewers. People in the U.K will have to wait a little bit longer until 6th October on Sky1 from 8pm, and Australian viewers can catch it a week after its initial premiere on 9th October on SCI FI.

Are you excited about the new Stargate series? Will you be watching it? Is it going to be as exciting as it’s hyped up to be? Let us know your thoughts.
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Re: StarGate Universe premiere 2 Oct (spoilers)

Post by KrauserKrauser »

I'll set it to record and watch it later.

Atlantis soured me on Stargate and the main series I lost interest in, we'll see how this series fares.
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Almost everything I've heard about this series enthuses me. I shall be watching it.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I generally try to give a new tv series of any interest to me a 3 - 4 episode watch before deciding 'this is crap' and walking away.

The same with series I liked that went down hill and changed staff.

I shall definately give SG-U a try.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

I have to watch it on hulu because my loser room mate is in charge of the cable this year and he chose the shittiest plan ever.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I've been pretty interested in the show since it was first announced, so I'll definitely be catching the premiere.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I'm following the same general rules as I did for Torchwood: Children of Earth. If I remember to watch the first episode, that's all to the good. If not, I'm not fussed either and probably won't bother with the rest of the series either. (Although if it goes anything like CoE, i'll forget and everyone else will think its awesome)
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I think, as the opener is three parts, they're going to do the 'repeat the previous one before part two' thing, and one and two before part three. So missing it shouldn't be a problem. That might just be some of the US channels though.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I'm watching it and i'm not impressed.

"Hey, we've got this highly complex mathamatical equation we can't solve. How do you think we should get help with it? Maybe contact any one of a hundred mathmaticians and scientists we have on roster or something?"

"Nah. Let's put it in a video game and see if some fat-ass nerd on the internet can solve it"

"Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that!"

EDIT: Also, on LT "i'm not john sheppard" getting busy with his girlfriend. I'm no prude, but didn't these people specifically re-do the pilot just to edit out the nudie scene? This seems like a shameless attempt to nab Neo-BSG's viewer base.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Gasphemer
Redshirt

Post by Gasphemer »

I'm definitely looking forward to this, and am going to hit up Hulu later this week. I don't have cable at all and the internet usually has everything I want to watch. I wasn't too big on SG-A though, but if it's close enough to seasons 2-8 of SG-1 I'll be an extremely happy camper.
Aeolus
Jedi Master

Post by Aeolus »

I am liking the show so far. I like the cast and camera work and Lt. Scott is all sorts of cute.
For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see,
Saw the Vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be;
Saw the heavens fill with commerce, argosies of magic sails,
Pilots of the purple twilight dropping down with costly bales;
Heard the heavens fill with shouting, and there rain'd a ghastly dew
From the nations' airy navies grappling in the central blue;
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Rush is disconnected from what is going on, which makes me wonder what his angle is.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

It was interesting, I'll say that. I'm willing to give it a few more episodes. As a fat nerdy gamer guy, I naturally sympathized with...the fat nerdy gamer guy. Yeah, that's probably intentional.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

First impressions are pretty good. I like the new tone of the show for the most part. The second half moved pretty slowly, but not in such a way as it pissed me off. Pilots are usually too quick to rush to give you everything at once, and while I know why they do it, it doesn't make for good TV. Having the initial encounter with a old, beat up, and unknown ship, and not solving the initial problem in the first two hours when you're just trying to introduce your audience to the cast as best you can is a good way to go.

Surprised to say this, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
It's Jodan, not Jordan. If you can't quote it right, I will mock you.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I don't know. It seems like they're taking too many cues from Neo-BSG for my liking.
Usually Stargate works best when it's a relatively upbeat show about finding a way to defeat an enemy like the Goa'uld or Wraith, or exploring the universe. The "coming up this season" preview makes me thing this will focus waaay too much on the grimdark and the soap opera character drama bullshit.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

The whole concept reminded me of another Sci-Fi show: "Space: 1999". A bunch of accidental survivor-heroes, hurtling through space in some manner they cannot really control, buzzing past various planets/civilizations/opportunities and exploring their environment, etc.

Not a bad premise, really, just... hard to pull off.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

It wasn't the strongest of the Stargate pilots, but still interesting; it's kind of the anti-"Rising". After SG-1 and SGA, it was necessary to take the franchise in a different, darker direction. That having been said, I liked the nods to the past via the cameo appearances of O'Neill, Carter, Daniel, Walter, and even Dr. Lee -- not to mention the nod to Atlantis, the Ancient Database, the Pegasus Galaxy, and the George Hammond.

I ultimately don't want a repeat of VGR or nBSSG. If it can find the balance, the show might do well.

Edit -- Minor quibble -- why the hell didn't the George Hammond have Asgard beam tech to slice and dice the Ha'taks?
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

They mentioned they might be Lucien Alliance-maybe they bought themselves some Ori black market upgrades, meant Carter couldn't pound them as easily as the SGC normally handles Ha'taks.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Slacker wrote:They mentioned they might be Lucien Alliance-maybe they bought themselves some Ori black market upgrades, meant Carter couldn't pound them as easily as the SGC normally handles Ha'taks.
Riiight because the ori did so well against the beam weapon

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Shaky-cam gets old quick. Also, are we all clear on Rush = Baltar, and the fat computer nerd is specifically designed to give us all someone to identify with?
Spoiler
I'm bummed about the senator, I thought he'd stick around for conflict. The colonel not dying was a surprise, though.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I was incredibly soured on stargate after S8 and the useless piece of shit that was Atlantis, but I'll go ahead and check this out since I got nothing better going on.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Shaky-cam gets old quick. Also, are we all clear on Rush = Baltar, and the fat computer nerd is specifically designed to give us all someone to identify with?
Spoiler
I'm bummed about the senator, I thought he'd stick around for conflict. The colonel not dying was a surprise, though.
Right, I thought he was going the way of the LAST Colonel.

...and I'm pretty sure that the fat kid was also a walking commercial for Stargate Worlds.

BTW everyone its on hulu.

This one pilot just F'ed over Atlantis, there's more character depth in this one episode than we got in five years over there, I doubt Joe Flannigan will be seeing that movie now. The SG-1 alums actually seemed almost out of place in such a driven movie,
Spoiler
Carter's bit could just as easily have been cut scenes from either of the earlier series. Richard Dean Anderson kept his mouth shut-Good call but why do they even pay him anymore? Daniel's role was actually pretty good, he is a logical "Guide" for a training video, and somehow WALTER merited a cameo over any of the other cast members? i mean I knew the farscape and firefly crew weren't likely guests but I was thinking at least teal'c could get a shot. Oh well. Walter as O'neill's Smithers has always been kind of funny. overall though, the sendoff, didn't really do much to establish this all in the same universe, SG-U really has a new feel which i definitely like.

Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Shaky-cam gets old quick. Also, are we all clear on Rush = Baltar, and the fat computer nerd is specifically designed to give us all someone to identify with?
At least Rush doesn't have rampant obvious narcissism and douchebaggery issues like Baltar, but, yeah.

And Eli is so obviously the POV character they gave him a shirt with YOU ARE HERE just to ram it home YEAH WE GET IT.

That aside, I like where the show is going so far.
His Divine Shadow

My god RDA has let himself go.
His Divine Shadow

Oh really Spoiler
those wacky megasuperduper ancients has got some kind of FTL travel that is not hyperspace, how... trite